As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Website not generating any conversions

MorinokoMorinoko Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Hello Penny Arcade, I am in need of your help and advise, yet again.

I kind of need a second pair of eyes for a personal project.

I'm starting a business with a friend of mine, a legal consultancy here in Panama; we are offering the constitution of Panama Corporations and Panama Private Interest Foundations as tools for asset management. My friend is a lawyer and i'm doing all the online marketing stuff.

I have created a website and have been experimenting with Google Ads for a couple of months now, gaining a decent amount of visitors but zero conversions and zero inquiries. I think we are reaching the correct audience with both the Google and Facebook campaigns, so the problem might be the website.

Are you guys willing / have time to take a look at the site, browse a couple of pages and tell me, what do you think? Do you find the site too confusing? Are we projecting ourselves incorrectly?

Most of our potential clients are already familiar with this sort of product, so we don't want to explain the whole Panama legal system in the website, we want to keep it simple and to the point.

Here it is:
http://www.epiphycorp.com/

Any help is gladly welcome!

H.

Morinoko on

• WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The site looks great - I didn't really understand too much what the product was but I didn't read most of it. I did notice that you are using a spam preventing measure in your contact stuff where it requires you to write a word from a picture. I have a few concerns with this:

1) It may not always work properly (I find alot of these things get false-negatives)
    2) Your customers might not like having to do that, it is kind of weird for a contact button to require it, as typically its just if you're signing up for something.

Wezoin on
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that people looking for legal consultants/asset managers in Panama aren't going to rely on Google PageRank to pick the best for them.

Presumably they're finding these companies through some other non-online way, I'm afraid.

And, yeah, I also have no idea what you're selling.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    When people hit your homepage they need to know clearly what you are, what you're offering, and why people need your services.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Also, the website looks like crap in Internet Explorer 6.0, which is the default browser that most large corporations use.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You could probably benefit greatly by downloading and installing Google Analytics. In particular, it has a useful function where you can see all the traffic you're getting, and both where it's coming from and when it leaves. (read: the point during their browsing experience on your site at which they get bored and leave) Sites become much easier to twek productively once you have that data set, among others that Analytics provides.

Apart from that, I agree with the general consensus of the site's purpose not being clear enough. If the business consulting is what you want to focus on, make that the focus of the homepage. People can go anywhere for business blogging, that's not what the ones whose attention you want to keep are looking for when they find you.

Atheraal on
  • MorinokoMorinoko Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Thanks guys for the comments, very insightful.

* I have been tweeking the intro text for the landing pages. I guess they are the introduction to each product (Corporations, Foundations & Consultancy). They are nano changes to the copy, but I guess the english didn't make sense earlier:
    http://www.epiphycorp.com/en/corporations/
    http://www.epiphycorp.com/en/foundations/
    http://www.epiphycorp.com/en/consulting/

* I tried adding more info to each of the taglines in the Flash banner on the home page. Do you feel i should completely design a new banner with bolder/bigger text, or should keep the flash thing?

* Atheraal: thanks for the Analytics tip; we have been using it since launch, and we regularly check from which countries people come, the amount of time they spend on each individual page, etc. I guess I should pay more attention to the exit pages.

* Wezoin: i am internally debating this since your post last night. On the other side of the spectrum, if we remove the captchas, spammers might use our forms to send their spam. Our "conversions" are when people write us via the contact form or when people write us via the Product Request Form. We haven't gotten any leads, so that might be one of the barriers.

* SkyCaptain: thanks, i will check on IE6. We have about 120 visitors using IE6 since November. I have an IE6 stylesheets there, so it might only be a matter of fixing details.

Thanks, any other comments, are gladly welcomed.

Morinoko on
  • LailLail Surrey, B.C.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You're probably not getting enough traffic to your website where the amount of spam e-mail you'll receive would be unbearable.

Lail on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Your landing pages are very useable in terms of layout, text density and button placement. The color scheme is a bit off-putting, but that is not an area of expertise for me.

Here's my biggest, biggest, BIGGEST problem. Your first landing page, the "corporations" one, is terribly written.
    How to acquire your Panamanian Off Shore Corporation?

That is not a sentence. It is a sentence fragment.
    Panama's International Business Corporations are the suitable tools to administer your offshore businesses or as a protection for your capital and assets. EpiphyCorp offers the incorporation, administration and consulting services to help you take advantage of Panama's Offshore Corporations.

That almost explains what you do, but is way too heavily invested in keyword SEO rankings. It is not readable, and it is easily identifiable as what it is: a tool to get your search ranking higher.

Users absolutely tune out websites which have clearly been shaped for ranking. You've seen all the sites that don't sell anything but ad space, but work to get search rankings in multiple categories as high as possible. Your site looks like it might be one of those, and so as a user I would abandon it, not being sure it actually provides the service I'm looking for.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I like the site, but I didn't notice any testimonials or client lists. I know jack shit about what it is you do, but I know if I'm considering using some service for the first time I like to know that other companies I respect have also made that choice.

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Have you actually tested your contact form to make sure it is sending properly?

Jasconius on
  • MorinokoMorinoko Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I want to thank you guys again for all the info you are sending me.

* I removed the Captchas from the Contact form, i will test this for a month to see if it's OK, or Spammers start using our form to send spam to OTHER people. Mail injection it's called, and it happened to me with another website. But yes, it puts another barrier to the user.

* Jasconius: yes, i tested the forms with the captchas, and now, without them. They work alright.

* Darkewolfe: you are right on the money, English is not my main language, and we hired a translator to work on all the spanish - english translations; but i guess she didn't do a very good job. I contacted a friend of mine who studied in an american school and has perfect english to review the content, that should help.

* AtomBomb: very cool suggestion, we will add some testimonials once we get the ball running; we are just starting.

* One of the main things that is bothering me is the flash on the homepage, i want to add a little more info there about the services we offer, and have the banners link to each individual product. I have to work on that.

H.

Morinoko on
  • PracticalProblemSolverPracticalProblemSolver Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Translations should be done by someone who speaks the target language natively.

Offshore foundations and corporations are usually either done by someone who has existing contacts or someone who was referred by a consultant. You need to get in with those people and get them to make referrals for you.

PracticalProblemSolver on