As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

looking for a new WIRED keyboard

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Holy cow.. I saw that in a movie somewhere. I'm trying to think of the movie. I want to say it was a bunch of computer desks in front of a large screen like an NSA "headquarters" setup or something and every station had that keyboard built into the desk or whatever.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    I ordered my 4000 yesterday. UPS says it will arrive Wednesday. I can't wait! I hope it's sooner than Wednesday. Though I'm in training class all week, so I won't be using it extensively anyway. Did I mention I can't wait for it to get here? I need to hack the software a bit though, so I can change the zoom function to scrolling.

This will be my new work setup:
    intellitrackb1.jpg

Not to take this too far off topic, but what on earth is that sexy trackball? I want one!

MechMantis on
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Man, Visti is looking for help to fix his wrists everywhere.

Well, they be pretty fucked, between being an allround geek and playing music on a daily basis.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    MechMantis wrote: »
    I ordered my 4000 yesterday. UPS says it will arrive Wednesday. I can't wait! I hope it's sooner than Wednesday. Though I'm in training class all week, so I won't be using it extensively anyway. Did I mention I can't wait for it to get here? I need to hack the software a bit though, so I can change the zoom function to scrolling.

This will be my new work setup:
    intellitrackb1.jpg

Not to take this too far off topic, but what on earth is that sexy trackball? I want one!

:D

You're about 8-9 years too late unless you find a good deal or someone offloading one used. It's the Microsoft Trackball Explorer.

eBay: 8 bids, 1 day left, $75

There are others with longer time left that haven't gotten that expensive yet, but once you use it, you love it. It's crazy. I can't believe MS stopped making them. They retailed for $40 or so I think. I've had mine for 8 or so years, got it discount display model when I worked at Staples. Even had to rig up a new USB cord for it last year. I was surprised when I saw our Fire Dept chief has one too.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    That trackball is the exact layout I want. Man.

Aren't there any equivalents in design?

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    None that I have found. :( It's even worse off eBay, as any sellers like Amazon are in the $150-250 range.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Mumblyfish wrote: »
    I have to throw in another recommendation for Apple's keyboards.

It's pretty silly how the loudest parts of my computer weren't even in the case; the mouse and keyboard are the loudest components by one hell of a margin, and for no good reason. I would imagine the vast majority of us don't need all that clickety clack to know that we have hit a key, nor do we need feedback to know that we have clicked a mouse button.

Mice can be silenced at home very easily, using little more than steady hands and a sheet of paper. This has the bonus effect of making the buttons "lighter" - that is, it takes much less pressure to click them, which has been a noticable boon not only in shooters but in general use. Keyboards, however, can't be silenced at home. At least, not to my knowledge.

And that's why I can't go back to big clunky monster fuck-off keyboards after trying Apple's offering. The noise difference is staggering, and key presses are much lighter too. After just a day I had got used to the lighter keys and the compact layout.

You are like the opposite of me in this regard. It still amazes me that people like Apple's keyboards, I just can't understand it.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    another vote here for the apple keyboard

i love how the keys feel compared to a normal keyboard

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Darmak wrote: »

It's pretty silly how the loudest parts of my computer weren't even in the case; the mouse and keyboard are the loudest components by one hell of a margin, and for no good reason. I would imagine the vast majority of us don't need all that clickety clack to know that we have hit a key, nor do we need feedback to know that we have clicked a mouse button.

Mice can be silenced at home very easily, using little more than steady hands and a sheet of paper. This has the bonus effect of making the buttons "lighter" - that is, it takes much less pressure to click them, which has been a noticable boon not only in shooters but in general use. Keyboards, however, can't be silenced at home. At least, not to my knowledge.

And that's why I can't go back to big clunky monster fuck-off keyboards after trying Apple's offering. The noise difference is staggering, and key presses are much lighter too. After just a day I had got used to the lighter keys and the compact layout.

You are like the opposite of me in this regard. It still amazes me that people like Apple's keyboards, I just can't understand it.

Yeah, I really hate how little the keys descend when you press them.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Yeah, I really hate how little the keys descend when you press them.

Half the reason I hated screwing around with Macs when I worked in a lab were the keyboards and mice.

The keyboards I could at least live with (grudgingly), but the mice... those see-through plastic ones without any buttons. Good god I hated those. I even liked the shitty puck ones that came with iMacs better than those.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Got my keyboard (MS 4000) today and it is AMAZING! The only thing that I am going to have to get used to is the spacebar, since it's so huge it takes a little extra pressure to push down. I'm also realizing how much I never use my left thumb for the space bar.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Got my keyboard (MS 4000) today and it is AMAZING! The only thing that I am going to have to get used to is the spacebar, since it's so huge it takes a little extra pressure to push down. I'm also realizing how much I never use my left thumb for the space bar.

Haha. I had the exact same initial reaction. After a weeks worth of use though, I don't notice the spacebar issue. I dunno if it just needed time to be "worked in", or if my thumb is extra muscular now. :P

Kris on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Yeah I don't know why they don't just split the space bar too. Do I need to have a giant button spanning that space?

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It still amazes me that people like Apple's keyboards, I just can't understand it.

I agree. Chiclet keyboards were common on early eighties home computers and died out quickly for a reason! Part of the reviews of a home computer at the time often went on about whether the computer had a chiclet keyboard, or a "full, proper" keyboard setup. The Commodore PET had a chiclet keyboard but was quickly replaced with a "full" keyboard. Take a look -

Commodore_PET_2001.jpg

10320-Commodore_PET4032_large.jpg

atari400open.jpg

People still laugh that the 400 had a chiclet keyboard, because...

Atari_800_Alone.jpg

...Atari quickly replaced it with the 800 computer.

aquarius.jpg

The Mattel Aquarius is still derided today by 8-bit enthusiasts for it's chiclet keyboard.

ZX80%5B4%5D.jpg

The ZX80 was quickly replaced by the...

ZX-81-Spectrum.jpg

...ZX81, which in turn was replaced by...

sinclair-spectrum_plus3-large.jpg

...various models of the Spectrum which all featured a full keyboard. A "full" keyboard was seen as a serious upgrade and advantage over the old chiclet style. Seriously, people! The Apple keyboard looks great but I'd rather trade my first revision G15 for the €3 Turbostar model that I picked up for my brother as a temporary use in gaming (because his Microsoft Wireless keyboard is PS/2 and giving trouble in some games) than use any chiclet keyboard.

Damn.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    SushisourceSushisource Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, I just do not understand the Mac keyboards. I feel like a retarded gorilla-man when I try to use them, it's just like my fingers are too large or something. I always end up hitting way way more keys than I meant to. My Logitech G11 works just fine, thank you very much, no stupid pointless-ass LCD for me, just a plain ol' keyboard with a shitload of buttons.

Sushisource on
    Some drugee on Kavinsky's 1986
    kavinskysig.gif
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Congratulations for posting a ton of pictures of keyboards that don't function at all like a modern Apple Aluminum keyboard. Have you guys actually used the new keyboards? Or did you just look at a picture and decide you knew what you were talking about? As for having large hands - mine are huge. I think one of the best console controllers was the original Xbox Duke controller. I cannot fathom under any circumstances having a problem with the aluminum keyboard. In fact, because of the lower profile, there is much less of a chance of hitting multiple keys.

They also press down easier than any of those old 80's style chiclet keyboards, and they have proper spring to them.

For reference, I'm talking about this:
    wired_1_20070813.jpg

It's a full keyboard, it has as much space between keys as any "regular keyboard" and actually helps reduce typing errors because the low profile ends up giving you even more space. Combined with a 2 USB hub, sturdy design, more function keys (F1-F19), and a full numpad, I can't even imagine using another keyboard.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    DHS Odium wrote: »
    Congratulations for posting a ton of pictures of keyboards that don't function at all like a modern Apple Aluminum keyboard. Have you guys actually used the new keyboards? Or did you just look at a picture and decide you knew what you were talking about?

Classy. Very classy.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

• Options
    Michael HMichael H Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Michael H wrote: »
    I really like the looks of this one. Thin, backlighting, not too much clutter. The normal price at Newegg is pretty high, but Google Shopping usually has open box or refurbs for ~$40. I might pick one up for my PC build.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823126043

Just found one on Craigslist for cheap and snapped it up today. (I never see these on CL.)

Great keyboard! Good feel, classy look, and no extraneous stupid keys beyond a normal keyboard. The only four "extra keys" are volume up, down, mute, and a button for the backlighting. I was never a fan of keyboards with buttons up and down the sides for launching this and that and multimedia playback. Never used them, myself.

The backlighting looks great, despite my crappy picture.
    PICT1494.jpg
    PICT1492.jpg

Michael H on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Congratulations for posting a ton of pictures of keyboards that don't function at all like a modern Apple Aluminum keyboard. Have you guys actually used the new keyboards? Or did you just look at a picture and decide you knew what you were talking about? As for having large hands - mine are huge. I think one of the best console controllers was the original Xbox Duke controller. I cannot fathom under any circumstances having a problem with the aluminum keyboard. In fact, because of the lower profile, there is much less of a chance of hitting multiple keys.

They also press down easier than any of those old 80's style chiclet keyboards, and they have proper spring to them.

snip

It's a full keyboard, it has as much space between keys as any "regular keyboard" and actually helps reduce typing errors because the low profile ends up giving you even more space. Combined with a 2 USB hub, sturdy design, more function keys (F1-F19), and a full numpad, I can't even imagine using another keyboard.

Yes I have used one so I do know what I'm talking about. I don't like how the keys feel when I press them, I much prefer the way the Unicomp keyboards that were discussed earlier feel. It just doesn't feel right, it's almost like I'm trying to type against a desk or the floor because there's such little tactile feedback. I also don't like how they look, all thin and gray and white. I don't want a product that's as thin as a sheet of paper, I want something with some heft and weight to it.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Rohan wrote: »
    Congratulations for posting a ton of pictures of keyboards that don't function at all like a modern Apple Aluminum keyboard. Have you guys actually used the new keyboards? Or did you just look at a picture and decide you knew what you were talking about?

Classy. Very classy.

well, the earlier pictures of "chiclet" keyboards aren't the same
    i guess the later ones are sort of similar, but obviously aren't of the same build quality as the much newer apple keyboard. i wouldn't even compare them because of how different they are.

also "full" keyboards suck and here is why. the big plastic keys get in the way when typing fast, they feel flimsy and cheap, they look ugly, they get dirty more easily than the apple keyboard (which is easier to clean), they are also undoubtedly more breakable because of the build quality and materials (plastic vs aluminum, and the apple keyboard being one piece with nothing to break off (for separate keyboards not ones built into the computer like the ones you posted)).

postscript: you are a huge nerd (this is a joke intended to defray the tension that may arise from me insulting your keyboard of choice)

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Rohan wrote: »

Classy. Very classy.

well, the earlier pictures of "chiclet" keyboards aren't the same
    i guess the later ones are sort of similar, but obviously aren't of the same build quality as the much newer apple keyboard. i wouldn't even compare them because of how different they are.

The later ones, such as the Aquarius and the ZX-80/1 do feel something like the Apple keyboard, though they're using a different material for their keys. But I was just using those old machines to point out that chiclet keyboards were laughed at back in the 80's and dropped quickly. Every magazine, book or whatever I read about "Choosing a home computer for you!" type stuff, would make some disparaging remark about the chiclet 'boards. I'm a little confused as to why they're suddenly popular because Apple brings one of them out again.

One of my best friends has a Mac Pro (with dual quad-core chips, the bastard) and he loves the keyboard - I can't stand it, really. But to each his own :)
    also "full" keyboards suck and here is why. the big plastic keys get in the way when typing fast, they feel flimsy and cheap, they look ugly, they get dirty more easily than the apple keyboard (which is easier to clean), they are also undoubtedly more breakable because of the build quality and materials (plastic vs aluminum, and the apple keyboard being one piece with nothing to break off (for separate keyboards not ones built into the computer like the ones you posted)).

Well, I've been using computers since 1991, got my first pc in 1997 and have used a large number of keyboards since that time. From the lovely "chunky" feel of my Commodore 64 to the brilliant workhorse that came with my Compaq in 1999, to my current G15, I've never had any keys break, look ugly or feel flimsy or cheap! I don't know about breakable, because whenever I transport my pc, the keyboard is always kinda thrown in there into my bag and always comes out without a scratch. As for dirty? Yeah, that is the downside alright. I use anti-bacterial wipes and slide them in between the rows of keys. It's an annoying job but worth it, especially seeing as the common keyboard has more bacteria on it than the average toilet seat!
    postscript: you are a huge nerd

You have no idea ;)

Rohan on

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

wired_1_20070813.jpg

I've used that keyboard and I didn't like it. I like the keys to travel a bit. And my Microsoft Internet Pro is like 9 years old and still works like I just took it out of the box. The multimedia and internet keys are great, and it has 2 old 1.1 USB ports (useful for Bluetooth and my Logitech Joystick). As I own a fucking pc with 3 USB 2.0 ports right in front and easy to use, and about 6 others on the back (I can install 2 more if I want to), I have no shortage of USB.
    Also you're a jerk.

Funny how MS keyboards are a hell lot better than their mice. Damn the MS mice are so flimsy. My Logitch MX500 is so much better.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You know what would make the Apple keyboard good? Being curved.

Fats on
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Frem wrote: »
    nek4000mini.jpg

Obtain a Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000. It really helps out a lot with RSI, and after you spend a while adjusting and getting back to your old typing speed, you'll start preferring it to flat keyboards. Jeff Atwood approves of it.

(Between this keyboard and my Trackman mouse, my roommate is the only person around who can even consider using my computer. :wink:)

I think I'm going to get this keyboard.

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Frem wrote: »
    nek4000mini.jpg

Obtain a Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000. It really helps out a lot with RSI, and after you spend a while adjusting and getting back to your old typing speed, you'll start preferring it to flat keyboards. Jeff Atwood approves of it.

(Between this keyboard and my Trackman mouse, my roommate is the only person around who can even consider using my computer. :wink:)

I think I'm going to get this keyboard.

I've been using it for quite a while at work and it is incredible! My favorite keyboard I've ever used. (I do have 1 complaint, the 6 key is on the left side instead of the right.)

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm hoping someone here can answer this: What, exactly, is the problem with trying to use a ps2/usb adapter (converter, whatever its called) with a 1984 Model M PS2 keyboard?

I love my Model M more than anyone should, but my new PC has no PS2 port. I keep hearing that using a PS2 to USB on that board is "less reliable" or "problematic" but no one says why. If, for example, I won't be able to use it in CMOS setup or something like that, that's cool. I'll just pull out a USB keyboard when the need arises. If its an issue of delay or spotty recognition or something, then I need a new keyboard.

Any advice on what these problems are or on what adapter/converter will avoid or minimize those problems? Thanks.

LaPuzza on
  • Options
    SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I use a usb > ps2 converter for my old Packard Bell whenever I bust that bad boy out.

Basically, the keyboard doesn't seem to "register" early enough for me to get into the BIOS. That's the only issue I can think of though.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Seeks wrote: »
    I use a usb > ps2 converter for my old Packard Bell whenever I bust that bad boy out.

Basically, the keyboard doesn't seem to "register" early enough for me to get into the BIOS. That's the only issue I can think of though.

I didn't think any Packard Bell computers were still working. I wasn't sure any left the factory working :)

I think you mean you're using a USB keyboard on a PS2 port. I know that works that way. Anyone have any insight on old keyboard/new PC?

LaPuzza on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Got a G15 keyboard for my birthday and I'm really loving it.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Here's a wired keyboard question:

I have a Logitech backlit keyboard; I posted pictures earlier in the thread.

With Windows 7 the keyboard is not detected when coming out of sleep mode. If I reboot, it's fine. If I put the computer to sleep and come back, I'll have mouse (a USB wireless mouse, no less) control, but no keyboard.

The only way I can get the keyboard to work after coming out of Sleep is to unplug it and plug it back in, which is quite a pain with my desk setup. W7 is completely up to date. What's up?

Michael H on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

With Windows 7 the keyboard is not detected when coming out of sleep mode. If I reboot, it's fine. If I put the computer to sleep and come back, I'll have mouse (a USB wireless mouse, no less) control, but no keyboard.

The only way I can get the keyboard to work after coming out of Sleep is to unplug it and plug it back in, which is quite a pain with my desk setup. W7 is completely up to date. What's up?

I'd check for new Logi drivers. I know they haven't made an updated driver for my laptop mouse in like a half decade, but on a newer keyboard maybe they have. I usually have this issue on something - if it works when I plug in, I don't install the driver, and then promptly forget my lazyness until an issue arises.

LaPuzza on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    LaPuzza wrote: »
    I'm hoping someone here can answer this: What, exactly, is the problem with trying to use a ps2/usb adapter (converter, whatever its called) with a 1984 Model M PS2 keyboard?

I love my Model M more than anyone should, but my new PC has no PS2 port. I keep hearing that using a PS2 to USB on that board is "less reliable" or "problematic" but no one says why. If, for example, I won't be able to use it in CMOS setup or something like that, that's cool. I'll just pull out a USB keyboard when the need arises. If its an issue of delay or spotty recognition or something, then I need a new keyboard.

If you decide you need a new keyboard take a look at this. It should be a good replacement for your Model M.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Barrakketh wrote: »

If you decide you need a new keyboard take a look at this. It should be a good replacement for your Model M.

A friend showed me that. That's my fallback - actually, the 101 key version. Plus, I guess it's made in the USA. Even my M says "Made in China" on the dot-matrix printed sticker.

LaPuzza on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    What I'd really love is a wired keyboard that has the ergonomic curve of that microsoft keyboard and the backlighting of my Logitech G15. Oh, and preferably a button that turns off the Windows key, but that's not a deal breaker.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BioHaz594BioHaz594 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Every time this question comes up, I have to reccomend a Deck Legend 105. Uses Cherry mechanical switches, and can come in linear or tactile (the classic "click" keypress). These are the most badass keyboards I have used.

BioHaz594 on
    orgblk_m50le_sig1.png
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Barrakketh wrote: »

A friend showed me that. That's my fallback - actually, the 101 key version. Plus, I guess it's made in the USA. Even my M says "Made in China" on the dot-matrix printed sticker.

They are. The one I bought for my new PC at the end of last year still has "Made in USA" on the back (the company was hit pretty hard by the recession according to NPR), and the little sticker says it was manufactured last December.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    edited January 2010

I'd check for new Logi drivers. I know they haven't made an updated driver for my laptop mouse in like a half decade, but on a newer keyboard maybe they have. I usually have this issue on something - if it works when I plug in, I don't install the driver, and then promptly forget my lazyness until an issue arises.

Good suggestion. Looking at their site, I guess I have down download a 60 MB program that manages Logitech drivers. :\ Lame, but better than not being able to use my keyboard after sleep!

Michael H on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Any advice on what these problems are or on what adapter/converter will avoid or minimize those problems? Thanks.
    The model M draws a higher electrical load than most PS/2 to USB convertors expect.

These work well: http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/11298/subcatid/0/id/124184

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Ok, so buy the converter (as opposed to an adaptor) or just go balls out and grab the Unicom version are my options. I think I'm gonna miss having a keyboard old enough to drink, but that'd be the way to go.

Also, typing on this Dell micro-punishment keyboard is typo hell. I type faster on my Droid.

LaPuzza on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I just bought a convertor for my 3 Model M's.

The classics are nicer than the unicomps, honestly

Senjutsu on