As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MotW 01/20/10 What Happens When Mogo Socializes

LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Graphic Violence
You know, Alan Moore might be a genius and a warlock, and he might have given us Watchmen, but he's also a whiner and a crybaby. Johns and Tomasi continue to throw his quote back in his face about people using stuff he wrote 20 years ago to fuel their stories. Blackest Night might have originated as an off-handed line in a throw away Tales Of book, but they've turned it into what has actually been a very good story so far. And the short story "Mogo Doesn't Socialize" might've been just that, a short story, but the stuff they've done with Mogo since then has been pretty awesome.

Including today's GLC in which
Mogo purges Oa by devouring all Black Lanterns and digesting them down into the very core of the planet.

Lucascraft on

• jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    That plan did not work out very well for Unicron.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Mogo and Gred Lantern Guy should have their own series, and Gleason did some great ring constructs this issue:

glc44a.jpg

The "painsaw" appears.

glc44b.jpg

God of War type chain thingy

glc44c.jpg

nuclear bomb constructs

glc44d.jpg

effin liliputians, how cool is that?

And Guy making a hammer and anvil with which to squish Kyle's head, all good stuff

GLC wins against anything released that week, Morrison was so scared of Tomasi and Gleason he had Batman & Robin be delayed (yeah, that's the truth, what).

TexiKen on
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    Mine is from Joe the Barbarian. Grant Morrison writing a 13-year-old's version of Lord of the Rings using everything from Transformers to Batman? Yes please.
    oiasfoiasf.jpg

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    When Morrison said that he'd found a new take on the whole boy-goes-to-a-magical-world story, he wasn't kidding.

It's super obvious, but nonetheless very smart, and I can't recall seeing it done before.

Munch on
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    I am super-excited to see where he goes with this.

The art is fantastic too, the house that the boy lives in is frighteningly well drawn.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    holy shit how did I forget about joe the barbarian

fuuuuuck

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited January 2010
    And Starman 81 was a good done in one, and had some nuggets for those who read the old series. But it was Shade being Shade, real cool with his top hat, cane, and a pocket full of miracles :
    sm81a.jpg
    "because the sky's gone black"

sm81b.jpg

sm81c.jpg

And that's David Knight, just so you know.

TexiKen on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Munch wrote: »
    When Morrison said that he'd found a new take on the whole boy-goes-to-a-magical-world story, he wasn't kidding.

It's super obvious, but nonetheless very smart, and I can't recall seeing it done before.

It's basically the South Park Imaginationland movie, but Morrison's version doesn't suck.

Hensler on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hensler wrote: »
    It's basically the South Park Imaginationland movie, but Morrison's version doesn't suck.
    I was specifically referring to the fact that the diabetic Joe's "magical adventure" is a result of hallucinations brought on by hypoglycemia, after a bully steals his candy bar, and he accidentally knocks his insulin pen out of reach after sleeping for too long.

The toys-come-to-life thing's been done more recently in Stuff of Legend, so that's not really a new angle. I just like that a rather mundane set of circumstances is what kicks the whole thing off.

Munch on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I was going to wait for the trade of Joe the Barbarian but god damn it the first issue is so good.

Sars_Boy on
    edited January 2010
    I wish I had a room that cool growing up.

TexiKen on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    does starman 81 have spoilers for the end of the series beyond the obvious

the obvious being Jack Knight is no longer star man

Sars_Boy on
    edited January 2010
    No it's more a Shade/Opal City story, with something that just branches out of later Starman/Shade issues, but it's not a super spoiler or anything (it's in my spoilers above).

If you've just read about Shade from his JSA or Green Arrow appearances, that could be just as good.

TexiKen on
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This is not the bitching thread, so I won't talk about this week's Dark Avengers.

Actually, no. I'll say this: Wildcat, you might want to stay away from this week's Dark Avengers.

Delduwath on
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    spoil it please.

Angry on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Regarding Dark Avengers, I didn't think it was that bad but it's another case of weird Bendis-style storytelling. The artwork was fantastic though. Deadato better have something to do after Dark Avengers finishes up.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Angry wrote: »
    spoil it please.
    Sentry is Galactus.

KVW on
  • SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    KVW wrote: »
    spoil it please.
    Sentry is Galactus.

Wha...

...how the fu...

Was this Loeb written?

Slagmire on
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    haha awesome, could i get some more details?

Angry on
  • NinjabearNinjabear Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yes, this demands further explanation.

Ninjabear on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me!!! Friend Code: 2981-7429-8364
  • Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    spoil it please.
    Sentry is Galactus.

uh i'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic with that comment

the truth:
    Sentry is God. and not like in the "he has unlimited power so he's like God" kinda way. he is the actual biblical figure who smote nonbelievers just for the hell of it

Diablo Fett on
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    That's almost as WTF as the fake spoiler.

So is Marvel doing a remake of Bob, the Devil, and God?

Gabriel_Pitt on
    edited January 2010
    I thought that line about
    Being Galactus was a bluff. Like he is just as universal a force as Galactus, but not really him.

Bendis goes with the idea that Sentry/Void is essential to the universe like Galactus is, and that Bob was a drug addict who needed the formula all the time because he was obsessed with having biblical-level power which is what he was tapping into (which could be universe founding power just used with religious contexts like Jesus and Moses). And everytime he died he switched between Sentry and the Void or something and Lindy should have killed him when they got married.

TexiKen on
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    spoil it please.
    Sentry is Galactus.

the truth:
    Sentry is God. and not like in the "he has unlimited power so he's like God" kinda way. he is the actual biblical figure who smote nonbelievers just for the hell of it

I think that was supposed to be more of a comparison rather than an outright revelation.
    I don't think that he believes he is god in the "I am Alpha and Omega" sense, but with all of his power he might as well be. There is literally no one in the Marvel Universe that approaches his power level when he's in a calm state of mind, which usually only happens when he is the Void.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    spoil it please.
    Sentry is Galactus.

the truth:

I think that was supposed to be more of a comparison rather than an outright revelation.
    I don't think that he believes he is god in the "I am Alpha and Omega" sense, but with all of his power he might as well be. There is literally no one in the Marvel Universe that approaches his power level when he's in a calm state of mind, which usually only happens when he is the Void.
    except the image of "God" descending upon the Egyptians at the beginning of the issue is the same as the image of Sentry/Void descending on New York at the end

Diablo Fett on
  • JombalayaJombalaya Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    My MotW is from Merc with a Mouth.
    NEVER TALK ABOUT FIGHT CLUB!

Jombalaya on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Is Cap 602 gonna spoil Cap Reborn 6? I don't want to read it yet if it is. I mean, I already know they've spoiled Reborn like 8 times in various comics, but each time it happens it annoys me greatly. If I'm gonna be annoyed by 602 then I'll just hold off on reading it until Reborn 6 is out.

Lucascraft on
  • DreamonDreamon Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    My Motw is from this weeks Dark Wolverine.

It is possibly a "future telling -I dont know the exact word foretelling the future i mean-" kinda event so I hardly think it is real.
    Daken backstabbed Normoan Osborn and after that he probably killed him. -which was off screen kinda-

Dreamon on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    spoil it please.
    Sentry is Galactus.
    That is the most retarded thing I have ever read.

the truth:

Oh look a new winner.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I wasn't being sarcastic.
    darkavengers13galactus.jpg

KVW on
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    for some reason that
    noooo

is really funny to me.

Langly on
  • DreamonDreamon Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I wasn't being sarcastic.
    darkavengers13galactus.jpg

I find it kinda funny to be honest.

I mean normally Galactus is not an evil being. I cant see why he would do such a thing or share his power cosmic with a mere human at all.

Dreamon on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Merc with a Mouth had some of the ugliest art I've seen in a dog's age

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    edited January 2010
    look you ain't know nothing

merc with a mouth is balls awesome

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited January 2010
    (the guest art is pretty weak, yes)

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Pretty weak? It looks like someone took Poser, or one of those other 3-D modeling programs, and then spent five minutes coloring over the top and adding lens flare.

Gabriel_Pitt on
    edited January 2010
    look I seen worse

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited January 2010
    the worst part about the Sentry is his long hair

Garlic Bread on