As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Batthread

• Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    if you're a nightwing completist, you should check out the New Teen Titans TPB, "The Judas Contract." During this story, Dick retires as Robin and spends a lot of time soul-searching about his new identity before finally becoming Nightwing. Fans of the animated series may also recognize this as a much grittier version of the Terra storyline.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Darth NatDarth Nat Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Yeah, I already have the Judas Contract trade, as well as the New Teen Titans archives. I pretty much only read them because I'm a fan of the Teen Titans cartoon, though. I don't care a whole lot about some of the NTT comics I've read mainly because I don't like some of the characters, mainly Raven and Beast Boy. And the fact that Marv Wolfman seemed to love to shove Raven down your throat turns me off to a lot of the storylines. But I'm ranting.

Regardless, I liked the Judas Contract and the storyline with Nightwing. I was a little disappointed that they paired Nightwing up with Jericho during the climax, though. All in all, I can't say I've ever been happy with the way Marv Wolfman portrayed Dick Grayson in any of the comics. He never seems to write Robin or Nightwing doing anything other than running away or commanding from the sidelines, which I find ridiculous for a character that is better trained than the rest of the Titans and one of the better combatants in the world. But the Judas Contract did a pretty good job with Dick's transformation, and I always love Deathstroke, so it's a winner in my book.

Anyways, getting back on the subject of Batman: I just finished The Long Halloween. It was good, but I didn't find it to be the exceptional Batman story that most people regard it as. I think I'm going to read it again, but a lot of the plot twists seemed to come almost out of thin air. I want to go back and see if there were any clues building up to these revelations. But regardless, a lot of the book seemed like an excuse just to have Batman fight some of his bigger foes at the expense of character development and storytelling.

Darth Nat on
  • MartmanMartman Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Darth Nat wrote:
    But regardless, a lot of the book seemed like an excuse just to have Batman fight some of his bigger foes at the expense of character development and storytelling.
    Harvey Dent develops like crazy in The Long Halloween. :P I think that's the main point of the story.

Martman on
    TheFishF wrote:
    dude you going to answer my question or just say words that make no sence :?
    My Mario Kart DS Friend Code: 051-600-286-877
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Martman wrote:
    Darth Nat wrote:
    But regardless, a lot of the book seemed like an excuse just to have Batman fight some of his bigger foes at the expense of character development and storytelling.
    Harvey Dent develops like crazy in The Long Halloween. :P I think that's the main point of the story.

I think all of the lesser foes were just set pieces. The story was more about Falcone/Catwoman/Harvey Dent. The bad guys were there because a year is a long time to go without any supervillain madness.

Lux on
    edited August 2005
    Harvey Dent changes, but no one else really does. This is, after all, a Batman story, so I'd like to see some Batman development as well, instead of him just sort of being there to knock some skulls. I never really got the sense that Batman truly lost a friend in the story, because most of Batman's dialogue and thoughts were just him repeating the same things over and over again. I'll admit, there was some good development for Harvey, but no one else seemed to really budge from where they were at the beginning of the story. The plot with Catwoman particularly bothers me, since she's omnipresent in the story, but you never quite know why. I guess I'm just disappointed because I heard so many great things about the story, and it really didn't live up to what I expected.

Darth Nat on
  • Zodiac BraveZodiac Brave Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    autosm.jpg

meautosm.jpg

Yes, that is me. Yes, that is Jim Lee's autograph with a unique Harley Quinn drawing. <3<3

Edit:
    Lux wrote:
    Martman wrote:
    Darth Nat wrote:

I think all of the lesser foes were just set pieces. The story was more about Falcone/Catwoman/Harvey Dent. The bad guys were there because a year is a long time to go without any supervillain madness.

The reason the other villains were in The Long Halloween / Dark Victory was to show the shift of the criminal power in Gotham from classic mobster types to the typical Batman rogue gallery.

Zodiac Brave on
  • jonny_digitaljonny_digital Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Alright, so I read Hush and enjoyed it but man did the ending get convoluted at the...end. So I come seeking a few answers, mainly:

[spoiler:42d555b4c1]How did they know Bruce Wayne was Batman? Did the Riddler just piece it together or did I miss something? So the Riddler used the Lazarus Pit to cure his cancer, right? I thought they just brought people back from the dead.[/spoiler:42d555b4c1]

I thought I had more, but I guess work has drained me of the rest.

jonny_digital on
  • Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Lazarus Pits completely rejuvinate and restore the health of a person, temporarily at the expense of their sanity.

If you use them often, you get crazy like Ra's Al Ghul.

Spectre-x on
  • AzraelAzrael Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Didnt Brian get dunked in one in the Azrael series? I dont think he went mad, but it saved him from a fatal injury and apparently helped him beat an alchohol addiction.

Azrael on
    edited August 2005
    That's bad writing, then, because a side effect of the Lazarus Pit is temporary insanity.

Spectre-x on
  • RockyRaccoonRockyRaccoon Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    bad writing in the Azrael series? Nooooo

RockyRaccoon on
    edited August 2005
    Alright, so I read Hush and enjoyed it but man did the ending get convoluted at the...end. So I come seeking a few answers, mainly:

[spoiler:4d6c822fa7]How did they know Bruce Wayne was Batman? Did the Riddler just piece it together or did I miss something? So the Riddler used the Lazarus Pit to cure his cancer, right? I thought they just brought people back from the dead.[/spoiler:4d6c822fa7]

I thought I had more, but I guess work has drained me of the rest.

[spoiler:4d6c822fa7]They seemed to have implied that the Lazarus Pit gave the Riddler some kind of enhanced wisdom & clarity so that he could figure out who Batman was.[/spoiler:4d6c822fa7]

What's wrong with the ending? I've heard from a lot of people that the story was great except for the ending, but nothing really bothered me at all.

Lux on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Dont the Pits make insane people temporarily sane?

DouglasDanger on
    edited August 2005
    Dont the Pits make insane people temporarily sane?

Ra's Al Ghul still goes crazy, doesn't he?

And Ra's is most certainly already insane.

Spectre-x on
  • DudditsDuddits Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Azrael wrote:
    Didnt Brian get dunked in one in the Azrael series? I dont think he went mad, but it saved him from a fatal injury and apparently helped him beat an alchohol addiction.
    Nope, he does go temporarily insane. He rushed at Lilah or whatever the fuck her name is, but I believe Ra's knocks him out with gas or something. Memory's a bit hazy, but I can guaran-damn-tee you he did go insane.

Duddits on
    edited August 2005
    [spoiler:bc513cd100] I heard that someone put the Joker in one and he was sane for a little while. [/spoiler:bc513cd100]

DouglasDanger on
    edited August 2005
    I got parts 2 and 4 of War Crimes (Batman 643 and 644). Is it worth getting Detective 809/810 to get the whole story? They didnt have either issue on the shelf at my store when I looked, but I liked the art, particularly how Camuncoli did Joker and Black Mask. Most of all I want to see if the ending really makes sence. From what I could understand of it its kind of cool, but I want to see all the execution.

Azrael on
  • The CowThe Cow Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Azrael wrote:
    I got parts 2 and 4 of War Crimes (Batman 643 and 644). Is it worth getting Detective 809/810 to get the whole story? They didnt have either issue on the shelf at my store when I looked, but I liked the art, particularly how Camuncoli did Joker and Black Mask. Most of all I want to see if the ending really makes sence. From what I could understand of it its kind of cool, but I want to see all the execution.

No. No. Willingham's War Crimes, ESPECIALLY Batman 644, are amazingly retarded. To be frank, the whole thing is stupid, but the ending...wow. It's just...there's no way to describe other than retarded. I am actually questioning Willingham's sanity in writing it.

The Cow on
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    [spoiler:32ad98aec5] I heard that someone put the Joker in one and he was sane for a little while. [/spoiler:32ad98aec5]

Yeah, it was in a few issues of Legends of The Dark Knight, with Ra's Al Ghul and the Joker. Can't remember exact issue numbers, but i can dig around my boxes if people are interested

[spoiler:32ad98aec5]Ra's had Joker killed in the end, but Batman needed to dunk him in the Lazarus pits to find the location of Ra's Al Ghul and some kind of world-ending virus. Dunking the Joker caused him to go temporarily sane and realize the error of his ways. Amusing side to the Joker, him horrified at what he's done, plus within continuity, since Legends of Dark Knight is considered continuity.[/spoiler:32ad98aec5]

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • inthegrayinthegray Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    i saw a really bad ass shirt ont he LJ "batman_fans" community that i had to have. i made the saddest face ever when i found out i had to set foot in hot topic to get this shirt.

i whined to my girlfriend about it in passing, and lo' and behold, she shows up at my door the next day with this shirt!

inthegray on
    edited August 2005
    inthegray wrote:
    i saw a really bad ass shirt ont he LJ "batman_fans" community that i had to have. i made the saddest face ever when i found out i had to set foot in hot topic to get this shirt.

i whined to my girlfriend about it in passing, and lo' and behold, she shows up at my door the next day with this shirt!

Nice. It would have been funnier if she showed up with one of those Super Friends shirts, though.

Lux on
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    inthegray wrote:

It's worth it, if you like your girlfriend thinking your a little bitch.

Little Bitch.

Dex Dynamo on
  • Green GunstarGreen Gunstar Registered User new member
    edited September 2005
    Hey guys, according to Amazon Batman: The Animated Series Vol 4 will be released on December 6.

B000B7QCHC.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Green Gunstar on
    MKDS: 502-571-468-339
    You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.
  • DudditsDuddits Registered User regular
    edited September 2005
    Hey guys, according to Amazon Batman: The Animated Series Vol 4 will be released on December 6.

oh my god

Duddits on
  • WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited September 2005

The quote I made in your sig? Still stands.

If I had a camera handy and accessible, I would take a picture of the face I made when I read that and post it here for comedic effect. But I don't. So I won't.

Whippy on
  • Johnny FabulousJohnny Fabulous burgin' Registered User regular
    edited September 2005
    I always get so excited when a new Batman boxset comes out.

Johnny Fabulous on
    We tried nothin' and we're all outta ideas.
    xbl gamertag: sublunary
    edited September 2005

Batman is REALLY muscular there.

Like DKR muscular.

Dex Dynamo on
  • Smoovy BSmoovy B Registered User regular
    edited September 2005
    Dex Dynamo wrote:

Like DKR muscular.

Is that sarcasm?

Smoovy B on
    edited September 2005
    Smoovy B wrote:
    Dex Dynamo wrote:

Like DKR muscular.

Is that sarcasm?
    No. He's just fucking huge. I mean, look at him. He's got some roid action going on. Especially in that shot on the left.

Dex Dynamo on
  • Smoovy BSmoovy B Registered User regular
    edited September 2005
    Dex Dynamo wrote:
    Smoovy B wrote:
    Dex Dynamo wrote:

Like DKR muscular.

Is that sarcasm?
    No. He's just fucking huge. I mean, look at him. He's got some roid action going on. Especially in that shot on the left.

He's huge yeah, but he don't look very muscular to me, he's more meaty and enormous.

Smoovy B on
    edited September 2005
    And then he's got these tiny little legs. How do those things hold up that gigantinormous upper torso? I guess Batman can defy gravity as well as breathe in space.

But anyways, I know what's going on my Christmas list.

Darth Nat on
    edited September 2005
    I just read the new issue of Nightwing:

[spoiler:2b997c84cc]I was surprised by the new costume, I had no idea it would change, but I like it. Still recognisable but at the same time distinct from the old one beyond being a different colour.

I really like the story, more than I thought I would, maybe because Ive been a sucker for Hester's art since Quiver. Its like it doesnt matter that I dont fully understand how Dick came to be where he is in his life, because I dont think he does either. Just my thoughts.[/spoiler:2b997c84cc]

Azrael on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2005
    I didn't even know Hester was doing Nightwing now.

That means I must buy it.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • The CowThe Cow Registered User regular
    edited September 2005
    So, as this is the Batthread, that means we talk about All Star Batman and Robin in here, right?

Here is the only conclusion I can draw from issue 2 - Frank Miller has gone insane. I mean, what the fuck is going on here? I just...this comic has nothing to do with reality OR Batman. It's inane ramblings, really. The dialogue is shit throughout, with particular rage going towards Vicki Vale. What is going through Miller's mind when he's writing this? I'm not even pissed - I'm just embarassed for both myself and Miller. I really don't think I'm picking up issue 3.

Definitely more excited for All Star Superman.

The Cow on
    edited September 2005
    Servo wrote:
    I didn't even know Hester was doing Nightwing now.

That means I must buy it.

Yeah, the only thing I dislike about his art is not being able to describe why I like it so.

Azrael on
    edited September 2005
    What does his new costume look like? I cant find any preview pages featuring it.

DouglasDanger on
  • WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited September 2005
    grayson2.jpg

wait, what

Whippy on
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited September 2005
    The Cow wrote:
    So, as this is the Batthread, that means we talk about All Star Batman and Robin in here, right?

Here is the only conclusion I can draw from issue 2 - Frank Miller has gone insane. I mean, what the fuck is going on here? I just...this comic has nothing to do with reality OR Batman. It's inane ramblings, really. The dialogue is shit throughout, with particular rage going towards Vicki Vale. What is going through Miller's mind when he's writing this? I'm not even pissed - I'm just embarassed for both myself and Miller. I really don't think I'm picking up issue 3.

Definitely more excited for All Star Superman.

I suppose it will always be remembered as the issue where Batman called Robin a retard for the first time.

The dialogue and characterization are brutal. Batman sounds like a complete psychopath and Dick Grayson's internal monologue and abrupt swings from grief to rage are laughable. How old is he supposed to be? 12?

Is the idea that Batman's trying to completely traumatize Dick in order to take his mind off the fact that his parents died? What school of psychology is that?

DMAC on
    edited September 2005
    I like it

very retro

EDIT: The new costume, not the whole trauma thing.

Dex Dynamo on
    edited September 2005
This discussion has been closed.