As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Masculine [Chat]

• B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Pony wrote: »
    man is there ever a politician who has squandered such an avalanche of goodwill like obama has

I'm not sure anyone could've done better with that Senate, especially with Reid holding the reins.

Obama did his best as a compromise-oriented moderate, I can't really hold it against him that things are only going okay.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Well shit. Our basement flooded during the storm.

My Rock Band drums were being stored down there. :?

At least the drums themselves probably still work and I'll only have to buy a new pedal.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Obama's biggest error was greatly overestimating the maturity level of his opposition.

Republicans may succeed in turning the tide against him but they should be utterly ashamed of what they've done.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    msmya wrote: »
    I really can't tell if people at work are flirting with me or genuinely nice to me since I'm new. Two guys introduced themselves to me and they told me if I have any questions or need help with something to go ask them.
    Assuming flirting 100% of the time. Even if you think they arent, you're wrong. They are.

This is a surefire way to become paranoid.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Elldren wrote: »
    I really can't tell if people at work are flirting with me or genuinely nice to me since I'm new. Two guys introduced themselves to me and they told me if I have any questions or need help with something to go ask them.
    Assuming flirting 100% of the time. Even if you think they arent, you're wrong. They are.

:winky:

Sarksus on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    B:L wrote: »
    man is there ever a politician who has squandered such an avalanche of goodwill like obama has

I'm not sure anyone could've done better with that Senate, especially with Reid holding the reins.

Obama did his best as a compromise-oriented moderate, I can't really hold it against him that things are only going okay.

I'm holding it against the Republicans that compromise is apparently for sissies.

Couscous on
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Rust wrote: »
    Now, the Dems certainly shouldn't roll over for the GOP (or vice versa), but there should be at least bipartisanship and civility.

no there shouldn't be

fuck bipartisanship forever and ever and ever

Not sure if you're serious or not.

But when one party controls the executive branch and the other party controls the legislative branch, the two parties need to work together to get anything done. Spitzer can try bullying as much as he wants, but that's not going to make the GOP controlled New York State Senate pass a bunch of Democrat bills.

Solomaxwell6 on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    if you measure political success by how successful the politician was at getting done what they wanted done

Bush pretty much did what he set out to do on many, many fronts

so did a lot of people that history generally regards as horrors and failures

Obama came in riding the Hope train on a wave of promises and smiles and has thus far done so very, very little in comparison to the "political capital" he was given

Pony on
  • TallaclasseeTallaclassee you ever seen a lion limber up before it takes down a gazelleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Drez wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »
    What should I have for dinnerrrrr

Hummus hummus or hummus.

Wendy's #6

Tallaclassee on
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Raiden333 wrote: »

At least the drums themselves probably still work and I'll only have to buy a new pedal.

The pedal is a single mechanical switch with no other components. Odds are it'll be fine once it dries out.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
    edited January 2010
    Obama's biggest error was greatly overestimating the maturity level of his opposition.

Republicans may succeed in turning the tide against him but they should be utterly ashamed of what they've done.

Stop death panels (tm)?

Couscous on
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    bipartisanship is only good with two parties that aren't as ridiculous as ours, and when one isn't almost entirely filled with contrarian jerks.

Nerdgasmic on
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Paranoids are not paranoid because they're paranoid, but because they keep putting themselves, fucking idiots, deliberately into paranoid situations.

Cinders on
    edited January 2010

Spitzer was similar (although not as bad as Obama). He started off as a fresh face, someone who was going to turn the New York state government around, increase transparency, end "three men in a room" politics... And then he turned out to be a creepy douche bag.

But I guess Hitler, maybe (if you include post mortem)?

Uhh.

Yeah seriously wtf is this?

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I always thought getting Hilary into office would have been more monumentally progressive, but maybe that’s just me.

Leitner on
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Man there are like three threads to bash Obama in right now.

So It Goes on
    edited January 2010

"Ma'am? Your purse fell out of your wallet."
    "Stop hitting on me!"
    "What? But I'm gay."
    "I'm using my mace if you don't stop harassing me!"

Solomaxwell6 on
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    As far as I'm concerned the only thing Obama is "good" at is Orating. He is the political version of "These are not the droids you're looking for."

His persuasion skill is maxed out is what I'm saying

Ludious on
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Ludious wrote: »
    As far as I'm concerned the only thing Obama is "good" at is Orating. He is the political version of "These are not the droids you're looking for."

His persuasion skill is maxed out is what I'm saying

And basketball!

So It Goes on
  • RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    Leitner wrote: »
    I always thought getting Hilary into office would have been more monumentally progressive, but maybe that’s just me.

probably would've turned out to be the same brand of corporate shill as everyone else with less convincing rhetoric

on the upside, people wouldn't ooh and aah over shirtless photographs of her

Rust on
    edited January 2010
    if you measure political success by how successful the politician was at getting done what they wanted done

Bush pretty much did what he set out to do on many, many fronts

so did a lot of people that history generally regards as horrors and failures

Obama came in riding the Hope train on a wave of promises and smiles and has thus far done so very, very little in comparison to the "political capital" he was given

He wasn't really given much, tbh.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    edited January 2010
    Rust wrote: »
    on the upside, people wouldn't ooh and aah over shirtless photographs of her

GILF

Couscous on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Raiden333 wrote: »

The pedal is a single mechanical switch with no other components. Odds are it'll be fine once it dries out.

Huzzah!

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
    edited January 2010

Spitzer was similar (although not as bad as Obama). He started off as a fresh face, someone who was going to turn the New York state government around, increase transparency, end "three men in a room" politics... And then he turned out to be a creepy douche bag.

Uhh.

Hitler was a pretty big disappointment. They didn't get anywhere near a thousand year empire.

Sarksus on
    edited January 2010

Uhh.

Germany absolutely loved Hitler when he was in office. But how much do they love him now?

That said, it really wasn't at all serious.

Solomaxwell6 on
    edited January 2010

I don't understand it.

At all

Like, you people are not actually opposed to the shit he is doing.

Why the hell are you mad at him?

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    But...

a192.gif
    I came so close to buying that shirt

JustinSane07 on
    edited January 2010

Uhh.

Germany absolutely loved Hitler when he was in office. But how much do they love him now?

That said, it really wasn't at all serious.

But he didn't squander anything, politically.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    from a research 2000 poll of people who voted for obama in 2008 and then voted for brown yesterday:
    In a somewhat paradoxical finding, a plurality of voters who switched to the Republican—37 percent—said that Democrats were not being “hard enough” in challenging Republican policies.

A plurality of people who switched—48—or didn’t vote—43—said that they opposed the Senate health care bill. But the poll dug deeper and asked people why they opposed it. Among those Brown voters, 23 percent thought it went “too far”—but 36 percent thought it didn’t go far enough and 41 percent said they weren’t sure why they opposed it.
    41 percent said they weren’t sure why they opposed it.

this is america

these are our countrymen

Rust on
  • RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Because the country is doing bad so obviously it's his fault even though the president doesn't really do anything.

I HATE THE PRESIDENT AM I COOL YET?

RonaldoTheGypsy on
    edited January 2010

I don't understand it.

At all

Because he can't actually control congress and tell them what to do or tell the Republicans to stop filibustering. I don't know why that is surprising. He isn't the emperor.

Couscous on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    We're fucked and we deserve it

Elendil on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I just got paid for spending 45 minutes in a hallway hiding from a tornado, yay!

Tomanta on
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Because the country is doing bad so obviously it's his fault even though the president doesn't really do anything.

I HATE THE PRESIDENT AM I COOL YET?

so if the president doesn't do anything then all the vitriol for Bush is sort of unfair too huh? :P

Ludious on
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Elendil wrote: »
    We're fucked and we deserve it

Yep.

Cinders on
    edited January 2010

I don't understand it.

At all

The idea isn't that he's doing bad shit, it's more that he's not doing enough good shit. He campaigned promising that America would turn into this glorious paradise as soon as he got sworn in, but that didn't happen.

I think that the people who actually believed him during his campaign were pretty naive. But that doesn't make it any less disappointing. I would rather have a president that delivers on reasonable promises than one who makes huge promises of massive reforms and doesn't deliver, even if they have the same result.

Solomaxwell6 on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    a1328_bm.gif

JustinSane07 on
    edited January 2010
    This country is basically useless. I am glad I'm not losing any sleep over politics any longer.

And the problem I have with Obama is that he treats this like theatre. Like he can manipulate everything with his words and things will just fall into place like they did during his campaign. He's too interested in compromise with the Republicans and he or anyone else in the Democratic party have no teeth.

Sarksus on
    edited January 2010
    Couscous wrote: »

I don't understand it.

At all

Because he can't actually control congress and tell them what to do or tell the Republicans to stop filibustering. I don't know why that is surprising. He isn't the emperor.

Oh, I want to strangle a few senators.

Obama is not one of them anymore so...

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    edited January 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    This country is basically useless. I am glad I'm not losing any sleep over politics any longer.

And the problem I have with Obama is that he treats this like theatre. Like he can manipulate everything with his words and things will just fall into place like they did during his campaign. He's too interested in compromise with the Republicans and he or anyone else in the Democratic party have no teeth.

o_O

I thought you were like, cool

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
This discussion has been closed.