As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hates, Hopes, and Happy Holidays

• Options
    TheTishTheTish Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Forar wrote: »
    The moment anyone says a thing about gearscore in PuGs, I long for the option to either kick people early or to smack people through the internet.

Perhaps both.

Same. I get a lot of comments in random groups complementing my gearscore, but i'd rather not hear about it, because gearscore is such an arbitrary measurement. Don't tell me my gearscore, don't tell me you're just on your alt, and your main has such-and-such gearscore. I don't care. Maybe I'm just a bitter elitist raider, but it really pisses me off when people try to justify gearscore as a valid statistic to measure skill or experience.

TheTish on
    sig-1117080.jpg
    -- Gnome mage enchantress and inscriptionologist... er scribbler --
    sig-1497520.jpg
    sig-1497534.jpg
  • Options
    QuetzatcoatlQuetzatcoatl Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Speaking of Hate,

I really hate the new obsession with gearscore, I started playing after long break back in december but spent most of the time leveling adds, I logged on to my main this week to mess around and found out every pug forming has gearscore requirements and asking for the achievement link.

I got into a TotC 25 man since I'd done it before I took a break and had the achievement, and my gearscore was so low I didn't show up when they linked the top 23. Still ended up 8th in dps and beat the other two elemental shamans in the raid.

Quetzatcoatl on
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    In the 'Wow, did that actually happen' department: I ran H FoS on my Resto Shaman last night, group was fine, Arcane Loops of Anger dropped and I was pretty much the only one who could use it.

I then ran H PoS in a different group right after that, Garfrost dropped the Surgeon's Needle which I had wanted, outrolled the Shadow Priest who wanted it for his healing set, (while I was the damn healer) 83 to 17, so yay! Tyrannus then dropped the Mudslide Boots I wanted and was the only one who could use them anyway.

The only thing that *didn't* drop that I wanted was the mail leggings off Ick that I don't think I've ever even seen drop on any character, and I've run H PoS a *lot*. But getting 3 specific upgrades in 2 dungeons is fairly unheard of. Only my shaman's 4th FoS and 3rd PoS run. I'm afraid I'm going to get hit by a bus today or something.

PoS kind of owes me anyway after the bullshit I had to go through to get the tanking sword on my paladin and the boots for my mage. Unfortunately, I still need to run it to get the pants for my Shaman.

I *may* end up going for 4T9 anyway, I'll have to look at the helm again. I wasn't going to get the T9 pants because they don't have haste. I have been losing a bit of MP5 with those upgrades (the stuff with +haste seems to be more for Elemental, just without +hit), but hey, up above 600 haste now.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    BikkstahBikkstah Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Happy: Reins of the Blue Drake and 100 mount achievement! Hurray, don't need to farm 30 AB marks for the last mount.

Bikkstah on
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    A keylogger is software, so after a clean format is done, its gone. Depending on how you backed up files, it could have been brought over.

Opty, I would suspect that your information was compromised prior to your getting this new computer.
    The issue is that the morning of the hack, my cookies in Firefox were all missing, which makes me worry that something's up with my current computer. I'm thinking backing up and reformatting is the best thing to do right now because I'm a bit of a control freak and if I don't find anything I'll always have that "what if it's still there?" restlessly nagging in the back of my head.

Opty on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Dranyth wrote: »
    But getting 3 specific upgrades in 2 dungeons is fairly unheard of. Only my shaman's 4th FoS and 3rd PoS run. I'm afraid I'm going to get hit by a bus today or something.

So the other day I posted the 2 horrible HoR stories. The day after that it gave me 3 more HoR groups. 1 on my paladin was similarly awful. I ditched after the tank proved himself incapable of holding aggro or taking hits from the dudes he did have threat on. 1 was on my mage with my wife's priest healing. Similar problem, as well as me being the only dps above 2k. After the second wipe, the dps warrior suggested he offtank it. I said no, we need the dps get the waves down before the next one spawns. After the 3rd wipe he added in having the boomkin offheal. At that point my wife and quit.

The other run on my paladin, I got in with the 1st boss already down, apparently the only problem in that group had been the previous healer, since it was a breeze. The tanked LoSed, and while I bitched at him for hiding himself too, he proved my kvetching as unfounded since he dropped DnD outside the door to get all sorts of lovely aggro on everything. We got to the airship, and the Str dps ring dropped, which I asked if I could roll need on (since my expertise in my ret set was 1( and that was from the glove enchant) ) and they said yes, and I won the greed roll on the tanking helm, which is an up from the HToC5 one for my still unused tanking set. And then the badges I got from there were enough to buy the T9 ret legs, so now I found myself with 3 ups and having an actual visible amount of expertise.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Not bad at all! Though my three were drops I was specifically going for. I almost always have bad luck when I specifically go for things. Still, I'm not sure I've ever seen Ick drop those damn mail leggings... *maybe* once.

Ah well, I still need tons of emblems for my Shaman's gear, at least the 245 helm and the T9 chest. Then a ring (with spirit, ugh, but it's still much better than my two) and a trinket before I start spending them on Elemental T9 gear.

Right now I have 2T8 and 2T9... having a 5 second cooldown, +20% Riptide is kinda fun.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    NeylaNeyla Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Bikkstah wrote: »
    Happy: Reins of the Blue Drake and 100 mount achievement! Hurray, don't need to farm 30 AB marks for the last mount.

Grats! Now will you ever fly the albino drake?

Neyla on
    13142111181576.png
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Albino is only 50.

The 100 is dragonhawk.

But the question is still relevant!

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    NeylaNeyla Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Oh crap! your right! I forgot about the dragonhawk. I rode him maybe 2 times now.... the albino was my biggest drive. I still love him even though I have 310's.

Neyla on
    13142111181576.png
  • Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I want the dragonhawk, but at the same time, I know I wont ride it. Because of the whole 310 thing.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    zagizagi Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I took a long break also, & came back to find that gearscore bullshit infected my realm too. Although the pugs who ask for x # of gearscore are from the terribad guilds nobody in their right mind wants to group with. It's so fucking stupid. I know a few people who've started using a mod called Elitist Group (?) instead, which allows you to rate people based on performance gear vs. an arbitrary number.

Other non-GS related hate: I finally got into Onyxia 25, which was fun, & good. OK, well that's not really the hate part.

It dates back to vanilla WoW where my spite for Onyxia came from, when I farmed her for 4-5 months for the T2 helm, which refused to drop. I endured weeks of Netherwind/Judgement before I finally saw it. It only dropped whenever I wasn't on there, because I would hear of so-so's alt, or their friend's alt who got in on a run, they did, randomly.

Right, first time in Onyxia 25. What happens? Nemesis Skullcap, hi. Oh fuck you too, you stupid dragon! (Yes, I won it.) -_-

zagi on
  • Options
    MEGAMERICANMEGAMERICAN Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    TheTish wrote: »
    The moment anyone says a thing about gearscore in PuGs, I long for the option to either kick people early or to smack people through the internet.

Perhaps both.

Same. I get a lot of comments in random groups complementing my gearscore, but i'd rather not hear about it, because gearscore is such an arbitrary measurement. Don't tell me my gearscore, don't tell me you're just on your alt, and your main has such-and-such gearscore. I don't care. Maybe I'm just a bitter elitist raider, but it really pisses me off when people try to justify gearscore as a valid statistic to measure skill or experience.

I get the same crap now. I started playing again in November. Then I was in all Naxx 10 and 25 man gear. It didn't take long for me to get most of the badge gear and getting into ToC and Ulduar pugs. I got into the most progressed guilds on alliance because they had no resto druids and I was one of the few geared ones out there which wasn't guildless.

My gearscore shot up to the 2nd highest on the alliance side in 2 months because I was lucky and had no competition for leather gear.

Now I get way too many people worshipping me because I have a slightly higher item level average than most people. I am also getting random people coming up to me and linking every piece of gear asking where it drops.

Yes, Little Billy, that Mag'hari Chieftan Staff did drop off an orc in Nagrand.

MEGAMERICAN on
  • Options
    Thomase1984Thomase1984 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I *may* end up going for 4T9 anyway, I'll have to look at the helm again. I wasn't going to get the T9 pants because they don't have haste. I have been losing a bit of MP5 with those upgrades (the stuff with +haste seems to be more for Elemental, just without +hit), but hey, up above 600 haste now.

Don't do it! 4pt9 is awful! Get the elemental head and shoulders!

Thomase1984 on
  • Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I have no idea what my gearscore would be.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BikkstahBikkstah Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Isn't it just adding up all the iLVLs on your gear?

If you have iLVL 200 in every slot, you have 3200 gear score?

Bikkstah on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Don't do it! 4pt9 is awful! Get the elemental head and shoulders!

Actually I was planning on getting the 245 head and I already have the Resto Shoulders and Gloves. Was going to get the Resto Chest and the Ick legs.

For Elemental I was going to get the T9 Head, Gloves, Chest and Shoulders, and use the Ick Legs for that set too.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

I think certain slots have a higher score weight, or something.

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

No, it's calculated by an addon or a website, the scores are different depending on source. The addon will give a broad range, where ~2500 is appropriate for starting heroics and ~5800 is the highest I've seen. Wow heroes will be a much tighter range (between like 2k and 3k) and it factors gems and enchants, which the addon does not.

I downloaded the addon to see what all the fuss was about, and it's just another piece of information when I try to anticipate who I should keep alive and who I care less about (lower GS and leading DPS? extra heals! Highest GS and slacking off? no heals!). Only real value I've found is figuring out "is my alt close to ready for <raid x>?"

Bobble on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

I assume there's either a penalty if the item is uncommon/rare, or a bonus if the item is epic?

Otherwise someone in full 200 greens would have the same score as someone in full ToC5 normal gear, and that just doesn't seem right at all. Not elitist enough, that is.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    MEGAMERICANMEGAMERICAN Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I assume there's either a penalty if the item is uncommon/rare, or a bonus if the item is epic?

Otherwise someone in full 200 greens would have the same score as someone in full ToC5 normal gear, and that just doesn't seem right at all. Not elitist enough, that is.

It does differentiate between epic, uncommon, rare. Epics that are ilvl 200 are given a higher GS than blues and blues obviously higher than greens.

The score you get also depends on the slot. Your weapons get the highest, followed by the chest and pants and things like Idols, wands and trinkets get the lowest since they are the ones with the least allocated stats.

Gearscore looks purely at the itemlevel and slots to determine its score. It doesn't look at enchants, gems, your spec, etc...

MEGAMERICAN on
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hate: Low level hunters who are rolling need on every damned thing.

Seg on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    zagi wrote: »
    I took a long break also, & came back to find that gearscore bullshit infected my realm too. Although the pugs who ask for x # of gearscore are from the terribad guilds nobody in their right mind wants to group with. It's so fucking stupid. I know a few people who've started using a mod called Elitist Group (?) instead, which allows you to rate people based on performance gear vs. an arbitrary number.

I have had Elitist Group installed for the past couple of nights pugging. I haven't checked it nearly enough, but it *is* kinda cool in how it works. One of the features I like is that at the end of a dungeon it prompts you (only in the chat window) to rate the group, which lets you give the other 4 members of the party a rating between 1-5 and even leave a short note. You can then see if you've rated someone next time you open up the group summary.

I really need to get in the habit of actually doing ratings consistently, but lately I haven't even been looking at the group summary. Neat seeing how it rates my own characters though.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Bobble wrote: »

No, it's calculated by an addon or a website, the scores are different depending on source. The addon will give a broad range, where ~2500 is appropriate for starting heroics and ~5800 is the highest I've seen. Wow heroes will be a much tighter range (between like 2k and 3k) and it factors gems and enchants, which the addon does not.

I downloaded the addon to see what all the fuss was about, and it's just another piece of information when I try to anticipate who I should keep alive and who I care less about (lower GS and leading DPS? extra heals! Highest GS and slacking off? no heals!). Only real value I've found is figuring out "is my alt close to ready for <raid x>?"

Bikkstah isn't wrong. They all utilize ilvl of items, so far as I've seen.

The variation comes from what coefficients they give different slots (if at all), and how they factor in gems and enchants.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Happy: First 80!

Hate: People don't seem to like their random heroic tank having 20k unbuffed HP. I'm defense capped and can hold aggro without a problem, and once we get underway everything runs relatively smoothly. But getting people to stay without the healer bitching constantly or leaving has been a chore. Tanking while levelling was a whole lot less of a hassle.

exis on
  • Options
    QuantumQuarkQuantumQuark Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Congrats, Exis :D

Happy: Ashen Band of Courage get

Hate: It has Hit instead of Expertise, sending me half a percent over cap and dropping me 3 Expertise below softcap.

QuantumQuark on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Neyla wrote: »
    This is so true. I got H FoS for my random last night, and I usually warn people that my pally tank is an undergeared alt since so many people are geared to the teeth now. I get this warrior, he was a nice guy but trigger happy. He do his whirly bird before I even have consecrate down /sigh. Just annoying. And I swear assisting off the tank is a thing of the past....

It is a thing of the past. When AOE tanking, no tank worth his salt, unless using raid marks with a reasonable expectation of them being followed, is going to be targeting one mob. When you are tanking heroics as a tank, you run up and try to spread your threat equally among all of the mobs until you can get a feel for who is DPSing what mob. While doing this you're going to madly be tab-targeting.

Assisting off the tank is just pointless.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    danxdanx Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Happy: First full guild icc raid on new server went well. 2 shot Saurfang. Got a few tries at Festergut. He'll die pretty easily on Sunday now we know what to expect.

Meh: Festergut decided to bug out on our last try for the night. He moved around as I was tanking him, like his hitbox was bugged. Seen mobs do it in instances quite a bit recently too. Annoying when trash do it, but it's a load of horse shit when a boss does it.

Happy: Got 2 tank upgrades - a nice trash drop ring and a shield. Also picked up those high armor bracers off Saurfang but can't use them yet. Not sure I'd ever use them. Dropped hit with frost cloak and the 245 crafted bracers have a decent amount on them.

danx on
  • Options
    Simon MoonSimon Moon Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hate: Currently rotating through leveling a rogue, a mage, and a priest. The rogue and the mage usually get into good groups. The priest is constantly getting into groups with tanks that wade into a group of 5 or 6 mobs and then just stand there autoattacking. Or joins a dungeon in progress where everyone is dead.

Simon Moon on
    Steam: simon moon
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Furious Hatred: Blizzard decided to hot fix the Lana'thel encounter, screwing up our one good attempt.

Hope: We can kill her on our last attempt.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Embarrassed: I just Tanked Half of Reg Halls of Stone in Blood Presence. :oops:

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Embarrassed: I just Tanked Half of Reg Halls of Stone in Blood Presence. :oops:

I tanked heroics on my warrior with his fishing hat and without a chest
    The way it was made to be

Brainleech on
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    But I'm sure you still use Defensive stance. :)

Instant Random Dungeons tend to leave me unprepared sometimes.

Still, I kept things on me. Yay for that.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
  • Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    exis wrote: »

Hate: People don't seem to like their random heroic tank having 20k unbuffed HP. I'm defense capped and can hold aggro without a problem, and once we get underway everything runs relatively smoothly. But getting people to stay without the healer bitching constantly or leaving has been a chore. Tanking while levelling was a whole lot less of a hassle.

I would tend to agree with the people who dislike it. A group can carry the hell out of a weak DPS, but a weak tank can completely slow/destroy a group. 20k is even low as far as heroics back in the day go. I would really recommend you queue as DPS until you pick up some tanking gear to at least hit 25k+. Most tanks are fairly geared these days so getting heroic tank drops is pretty easy.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hatred of at least a couple of suns: So we go to do our last attempt on Lana'thel. Things are going well, but then 1 minute in, guess what happens.

A fucking power outage.

I

Shit

You

Not

So we wipe, and lose our chance to kill her that week. This little event has made me hate that fight forever now.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Simon MoonSimon Moon Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Bizarre: This has to be a character someone made to troll people in randoms. That or an eight-year old. I mean, you're in a guild, you have a weapon that indicates you were, at some point, part of a semi-functional group, you found the LFD button. When someone asks why you haven't spent any talents, and you reply "How I spind talents?", people aren't going to take you seriously.

Simon Moon on
    Steam: simon moon
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    FightTest wrote: »
    exis wrote: »

I would tend to agree with the people who dislike it. A group can carry the hell out of a weak DPS, but a weak tank can completely slow/destroy a group. 20k is even low as far as heroics back in the day go. I would really recommend you queue as DPS until you pick up some tanking gear to at least hit 25k+. Most tanks are fairly geared these days so getting heroic tank drops is pretty easy.

Picked up 4 epics from heroic badges and ToC thanks to guildies, so I'm at about 24.5k HP now. The thing is, I would agree, and wouldn't have queued as a tank, IF my gear proved to be a problem. But it never did. It was only ever an issue while people complained about it. Once the run got underway the healer had no trouble keeping me up, and the only time I'd stop between pulls was to wait for DPS mana.

exis on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    My DK is sitting at 20k unbuffed health at 78, and I'm in crafted/dungeon blues. Being a BS/JC helped a lot. I am planning ahead by getting some BoE tank gear such as the ToC Crafted Chest and Bracers. And I have enough Emblems from the daily random to grab the T9 gloves or shoulders.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Zython wrote: »
    Hatred of at least a couple of suns: So we go to do our last attempt on Lana'thel. Things are going well, but then 1 minute in, guess what happens.

A fucking power outage.

I

Shit

You

Not

So we wipe, and lose our chance to kill her that week. This little event has made me hate that fight forever now.

Guildie of mine had a power outage once.

He missed Celestial Defender.

Senshi on
  • Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Senshi wrote: »
    Guildie of mine had a power outage once.

He missed Celestial Defender.

D:

@Zaithon If it helps, you DCing was far from the only thing wrong with that attempt.

Hate: Not killing Lana'thel. I think if we'd just used the old strat instead of trying the silly "let someone die" thing, we'd have killed her this week. I hear there was a lot of fuckmuppetry on the first nine attempts I wasn't there for, though.

Happy: I got to raid a bit. I like that fight, and I didn't fuck up personally.

riz on
This discussion has been closed.