As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game of the Decade] RESULTS IN OP

1293031323335»

• Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    It always struck me as more of an extra-long tech demo, rather than just a short game. If it had been a mod for Half Life 2 it would have been amazing, but from a company its just very good.

I'm not disputing the quality of it, nor the entertainment value. I had a great time playing it.

But does it REALLY belong above Team Fortress 2? Or above Deus Ex, Counterstrike, or Halo?

Yeah, it does get some god-like reverence around these parts. I personally loved the hell out of Portal, but I'm not a big TF2 fan, which may also be blasphemy.

I certainly don't agree with the top 10 completely either, but I do understand the ranking methodology and find it to be the best scoring method.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Portal was a good chunk of fun and very innovative, but there's no way it belonged on a top 25 list let alone top 10.

Ah, geez. You may be torn apart for such a statement, maybe even banned.

It always struck me as more of an extra-long tech demo, rather than just a short game. If it had been a mod for Half Life 2 it would have been amazing, but from a company its just very good.

I'm not disputing the quality of it, nor the entertainment value. I had a great time playing it.

But does it REALLY belong above Team Fortress 2? Or above Deus Ex, Counterstrike, or Halo?

Or GTA 3, Vice, Andreas, 4.
    Metal Gears
    Monster Hunters
    BG2
    Devil May Cry(s)
    God of War(s)
    Fallout 3
    ect ect omg is it possible to get the voting app after the fact just so I can make a proper list?

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If you liked it better than those games, then yes, it would.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Stigma wrote: »
    Metal Gears
    Monster Hunters
    BG2
    Devil May Cry(s)
    God of War(s)
    Fallout 3
    ect ect omg is it possible to get the voting app after the fact just so I can make a proper list?

Devil May Cry, really? Really?

Also, the abbreviation is "etc," short for "et cetera."

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Metal Gears
    Monster Hunters
    BG2
    Devil May Cry(s)
    God of War(s)
    Fallout 3

Devil May Cry, really? Really?

Also, the abbreviation is "etc," short for "et cetera."

Devil May Cry 3 maybe. I was just trying to run off a list of top tier full length games.

Sorry for the etc/ect mistake. How gooselike of me.

Stigma on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I guess I did have a good bit of fun with some of those DMC games. I would never consider them in my top 10 or 25, but they weren't bad. 'Cept maybe the second game.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I guess I did have a good bit of fun with some of those DMC games. I would never consider them in my top 10 or 25, but they weren't bad. 'Cept maybe the second game.

I respect DMC alot because of it's precise gameplay and apparent effect on the industry. I mean, GoW, Ninja Gaiden and all of the action sub genre owe alot to the game.

Stigma on
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Stolls wrote: »
    RockinX wrote: »
    Portal has ruined the ability to use the word cake. We need to take it back, that was a perfectly good word.

That's a lie.

What's a lie?

The cake is a lie.

We are not amused!

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The G-man can't possibly be Gordon. He can talk.

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Well, there are a couple more than 2... And almost all of those games below were released at one time or another.
    biowaregames.jpg[IMG][/img]

MDK and Sonic are PC classics, eh?

And you realise that Mass Effect is about as much a "PC game" as Halo, Gears, or FF7. Those are all perfectly fine games, but people would laugh if you called them PC classics.
    They were also involved in IWD and PST.

They programmed the engine they ran on, yes.

What Bioware does have a long tradition of is porting consolized RPGs to the PC.
    Since you took my comments literally, I"ll plainly state what my original point was: NWN sucked balls and Kotor is mediocre

Oh come on, if we're going to say Mass Effect and kotor are console games (both of which I actually agree with you on this), then you have to give them Dragon Age as a PC game. Which I guess might agree with the original accusation that this poll skewed signifcantly more towards PC since it was able to beat Batman despite loosing in the last poll that was only weeks ago

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Snarkman3Snarkman3 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Maybe in Half-life 3 we learn that Gordon doesn't talk because he has a SPEECH IMPEDIMENT.

And then BAM! Gordon is G-man.

Snarkman3 on
  • Options
    BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Portal was a good chunk of fun and very innovative, but there's no way it belonged on a top 25 list let alone top 10.

Ah, geez. You may be torn apart for such a statement, maybe even banned.

That's kind of the idea, though! It's Tutorial: the game.

I sort of agree with you, I wouldn't put it into my top five, but top ten, sure. I could see it there.

Definitely above Deus Ex because, while cool, Metal Gear had been out for two years!

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    Oh come on, if we're going to say Mass Effect and kotor are console games (both of which I actually agree with you on this), then you have to give them Dragon Age as a PC game. Which I guess might agree with the original accusation that this poll skewed signifcantly more towards PC since it was able to beat Batman despite loosing in the last poll that was only weeks ago

Dragon Age is basically a PC game, yes, its console version is just inferior. And a great one, too. The original discussion was about Mass Effect though, so before DA came out.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Snarkman3 wrote: »

Maybe in Half-life 3 we learn that Gordon doesn't talk because he has a SPEECH IMPEDIMENT.

And then BAM! Gordon is the demons.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    SlayerVin wrote: »

I wouldn't be terribly surprised if Gordon was G-Man. After all
    Vortigaunts can travel through time, why not Gordon?

Holy shit I think you're right!

futurama_fry_looking_squint.jpg

How original, Valve.

It would work and be awesome if handled like the novel "The Stars My Destination".

Spoiler for ending of said book/idea how they could use it:
    After seeing visions of himself on fire throughout the book, the protagonist actually is set on fire and accidentally travels through time at the end of the book. To use this ending in Half Life, that last thing you do should be to change clothes, pick up a briefcase, walk through a mysterious door, and witness a tram car pass by. As the tram car fades into the distant tunnels, you utter a single word.

Yesss....
    Advanced version is to walk through a series of doors that transport you through all the locations you saw the G-Man, before finally confronting yourself in the mysterious space-traveling tram car. But that would be a lot more work, and might not be very interesting.

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    DeussuDeussu Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Snarkman3 wrote: »

And then BAM! Gordon is the demons.

Well, being so silent for most of the time probably does funny things to your vocal cords. Would explain the raspy voice of G-man!

Truly, it wouldn't be a surprise at all. Gordon Freeman, oh woo I got that all - by - my - self. I'm SMRT!

Deussu on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    HL 2 gave us Halflife: Full Life Consequences. So, on second thought, perhaps it is the greatest game.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    HL 2 gave us Halflife: Full Life Consequences. So, on second thought, perhaps it is the greatest game.

And so it was that Haf Life 2 waz teh greatist gaem eva

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Alright, fine, you've won me over. Is it too late to change my vote?

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    PurpleMonkeyPurpleMonkey Why so derp? Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I think the low placing of the Devil May Cry games is a clear sign that not enough people have played them therefore I shall spread the word of their quality (with the exception of 2)

I shall be the one to fill your dark souls with LIGHT!... light... light...

PurpleMonkey on
    teddiepicture-1.jpg
    XBL, Steam & Tribes: elmartino333
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Despite loving DMC, I can't convince myself to play 4 though I've owned it for so long.

Stigma on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Lork wrote: »
    Alright, fine, you've won me over. Is it too late to change my vote?

-Skull looked sad at ground. But then happy up at people when they said they liked it after they said they didn't like it. He dropped wepon and ran to people to have hug with all, and flipped away to live happy forever.-

Concerned: The Half-Life and Death of Gordon Frohman, is super boss also

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.