As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We got both kinds

• Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    iglidante wrote: »

I really don't know why I find this stuff funny. Maybe my family was just weird. No, I take that back - my family is weird. And I, as a result, am pretty fucking out there. Give me a stuffed animal, and I'm going to end up making it talk to you in a funny voice. It's going to be up in your face, whispering in your ear about raping you, or how it likes to touch itself. I draw faces on the bananas in the fruit bowl. I sometimes use sound effects in place of descriptive words in conversation.

Basically, the stuff I like is not what most people online are going to like, and I'm going to have a niche audience as a result of that.

What's weird is that this concept sounds funny. You just need to be more focused and, if a character is threatening to ear rape you, its not quite as funny when that character is essentially a mute.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2010
    Flying Man continues to remind me of Marshie from Homestar Runner, except even Marshie is somewhat funnier/creepy.

I think I mentioned earlier that Homestar Runner would be a great site to poke around. I loved that shit when I was in middle school, it has a cast of random absurd characters and the humor is pretty odd. Have you watched it? What do you think about it? Checking out things that people suggest and giving a through opinion on it will help us see what you're about.

The fact that you love your comic isn't really the issue, but you have to be committed to making it the best you can by not restraining it. You'll have to let stuff go sometimes, everyone has to go through editing. Its like killing your own children sure, but its sort of like how you cant put every scene you ever thought of in a movie.

I also... well.. I don't really think our crits are off because we aren't your audience. Most people in the AC can let personal tastes slide in favor of giving a well rounded crit. Don't let the mindset of "these people don't get what I'm doing" get into your head, because you'll use it as an excuse to experiment less.

Iruka on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Iruka wrote: »
    I also... well.. I don't really think our crits are off because we aren't your audience. Most people in the AC can let personal tastes slide in favor of giving a well rounded crit. Don't let the mindset of "these people don't get what I'm doing" get into your head, because you'll use it as an excuse to experiment less.
    Yeah. I don't really know if children or preteens would enjoy this, either. It's too cute for adults and too weird and random for kids.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    iglidanteiglidante Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Iruka: I've never really seen any HSR, but I probably should give it a watch. And I wasn't trying to say "the AC doesn't get what I'm doing, so I'll ignore them." Though I admit my behavior would seem to indicate that. More like "the AC doesn't like this at all, and I'm not sure I can make it into something they'll like without completely scrapping it...but maybe they'll think that this improvement I made was for the better." I don't know.

UncleSporky: My current audience seems to be made up of 20-somethings who really like random and odd. A lot of them came from Brawl in the Family and Ill Will Press.

iglidante on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Well, it's been half a year and the situation hasn't changed. What happened to this?
    Okay, then, do a one-shot comic strip. Draw four panels of sequential hilarity and post it here. Hand draw it and use some original. I want to see what you're capable of if you're not confined to the style you've set for yourself.
    You'll have to give me a bit, but I'll try to take you up on that.

I gave this advice back in October:
    Look at it this way: your first try at anything will nearly always be pretty awful. If you like this comic idea so much, don't you want to do it right? Do something else for a while, develop different styles, and when you come back to it you will be ready to make it everything you hoped you could make it.

I don't have any delusions of being the best advice giver in the world but the rest of the thread's been saying this too. Your guest strip for Polk was not bad! Can you draw some other stuff for the AC? Doesn't even have to be a comic. We've already established that this forum doesn't like your comic and you're making no effort to change it, so further updates to this thread along these lines go nowhere.

The AC is for the betterment of your artistic abilities, so post some different things and see what sort of comments you get. Go sit in the park and do a life drawing of a dog. Heck, stand your two dog toys next to each other and do a pencil still life.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Has it really been half a year since this thread started? Damn.

Honestly, one thing that's probably holding me back (unconsciously) is the thought that "Hey, they don't like this because it's dumb. But what if I try to do something they'll like, and they still loathe it?" Call it performance anxiety. The snappy, snarky comics that everyone loves have already been done so well by other people that I'm not sure what I can add. Sometimes, I just freeze. No ideas. That happens whenever I think about doing another "side" strip as a one-off.

And you didn't mind the strip I did for Polk? I never really got any feedback from that. Hell, I wasn't even sure if he liked it.

iglidante on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    At least the Polk strip was vulgar. I thought it matched his style pretty well.

And like I said, if you're worried that people won't like a comic, just try some art instead. There's a lot you could be doing to try to improve. Maybe practice composition by taking a Cyanide and Happiness strip and doing the art in a different style, while trying not to lose what makes it interesting? Or have someone here write you a strip, and then do the art for it.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I wanted to stop in briefly to show you guys my most recent strip, in which the salad that began this thread finally reappears. It's a cheap and easy joke, but I like it:

2010-02-19-brokenthings-wednesday.jpg

Oh, and I've edited all of the strip postings on my site so that the blog under each comic explains where "continuity" gags are coming from, and links to the relevant strips. That way, people can actually jump around through the story and get the gist without just saying "fuck it." You can see that here, if you're interested.

iglidante on
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Grooooaaaaan...

DeeLock on
  • Options
    Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    After reading the first and last page of this thread I can only conclude that this man is in fact a robot trying desperately to grasp the human concept of humor.

Arden Canelo on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Please draw some other things in a different style. Give people something different to comment/crit, since nothing more can be said about this comic.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Okay, okay. Today, I did another "Mr. Stinky draws the strip" comic. Different style from the first time I did that (last time, it was a squiggly, messy style. This time, it's my own doodling style):

2010-02-22-the-artist.jpg

iglidante on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    100% improvement. Seriously. If you move the first panel to the end, it might have a better punchline.

Actually, 100% is an understatement. Mere Mortal Words can't describe how much character and personality hand drawing adds to your strip.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    If only stuff drawn by Persimmons could be considered canon. (Much better)

Richard M. Nixon on
    chevy.jpgsteve.jpgmartin.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I really like your suggestion about the panel switch, MB (no clue why I didn't think of that to begin with), so I went ahead and did it.

iglidante on
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    First four panels are gorgeous.

now try to make a joke that doesn't reference your old strip

And preferrably not featuring neither mr stinky or "flying man" (unghhhh)

Really though, you and Agent Coleman should team up.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I wasn't really trying to reference an old strip, though - I mean, both involve Mr. Stinky drawing something, but other than that the rest is completely different.

I'm a little surprised this has been so well received, honestly.

What sort of collab with Agent Coleman would you suggest?

iglidante on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    That is actually quite nice. The hand written text, the use of light and dark on the characters...the simple style comes off well because it's obvious you have some artistic understanding. And it's even a good comic before the end. Not too wordy, illustrative and silly without being grating and pandering.

It's so weird because we feel the same disappointment the bone does when we hear Flying Man saying things.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Thanks, Sporky.

I think I'd like to incorporate more "free-hand" drawn strips over time. Really, I'd like to be drawing everything separately, and having motion and facial expressions for everyone - but at the moment, it's daunting, and I'll have to approach it gradually.

iglidante on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    In light of your recent improvement, I present you with fanart. Behold flying man at the bus stop after a long day at work:
    img1266869542953.jpg

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Hah! Love it.

Early on, I had actually considered showing "behind the scenes" bits, but I couldn't figure out a way to make it work.

iglidante on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    You should figure out how to do it; having a contrast between "real life" and "the show" is a source of endless comedy, as well as giving some kind of "neutral ground" to measure just how absurd a joke is.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I wasn't really trying to reference an old strip, though - I mean, both involve Mr. Stinky drawing something, but other than that the rest is completely different.

I'm a little surprised this has been so well received, honestly.

What sort of collab with Agent Coleman would you suggest?

the man has a lot of ideas that are sometimes held back or affected negatively by the accompanying art.

you do the math :-)

seriously though, check out his thread, i bet you could do a bitching re-interpretation on some of his comics.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    Agent ColemanAgent Coleman Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    : (

In all seriousness though, I could be down for a collab, if you were interested of course.

Agent Coleman on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    At the moment, I don't think I have the time to add any more to my plate - but I'm definitely down with the idea of collaborating with people on a temporary basis, for fun, in the future. I just really can't commit to anything now.

I do like AC's stuff, and I believe I threw in a few thoughts early on in his thread. It kind of reminds me of a more personal PBF.

iglidante on
  • Options
    Agent ColemanAgent Coleman Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    At the moment, I don't think I have the time to add any more to my plate - but I'm definitely down with the idea of collaborating with people on a temporary basis, for fun, in the future. I just really can't commit to anything now.

I do like AC's stuff, and I believe I threw in a few thoughts early on in his thread. It kind of reminds me of a more personal PBF.

Thanks for the good words, and yeah, I'm pretty busy as it is. I'm always down for one off's or anything if need be.

Agent Coleman on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    yes this is a thing that should be done.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I made it to 100 strips, and I wanted to share the 100th with my most critical audience. It's too tall to post the image.

iglidante on
  • Options
    FletcherFletcher Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    i have NO idea what any of that was

i think you've taken "in-jokes" to such a ridiculous degree that your comic is literally indecipherable to anyone who hasn't read every previous strip

i'm a little scared

Fletcher on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I guess I kind of made it as a "present" to my regular readers, but I took the time (and it was a lot of time) to transcribe and link to every reference, so at least the random cameos are sort of explained.

This is the first time I've really made a strip that depended entirely on inside knowledge. I don't think it's something I'll do very often.

iglidante on
  • Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    sorry, I seem to have lost my enigma (no pun intended)
    awesome nuke though, but I think you should stay away from making insider based jokes, it's hard to establish a fan base that way (but this being nr 100 is okay by far)
    So, I'm off to read 99 strips now bye

m3nace on
  • Options
    JLM-AWPJLM-AWP Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Fletcher wrote: »
    i have NO idea what any of that was

i think you've taken "in-jokes" to such a ridiculous degree that your comic is literally indecipherable to anyone who hasn't read every previous strip

i'm a little scared

This.

I'm glad you said you wouldn't do this very often, because holy cow would it kill your comic. The best webcomics are the ones that need to do no explaining.

Congrats on 100, though. We're on number 30 and it's been a LOT of work, so I can appreciate this milestone. Hats off!

JLM-AWP on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Thanks, JLM-AWP - it really has been a lot of work. I'm glad I've stuck it out, though, because It's something I never thought I'd be able to commit to.

And yeah, I don't want to be completely[/I indecipherable.

iglidante on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Okay guys, I'm back. I'm still at this shit, and I wanted to share the absolutely massive strip #112 with you. It brings to close a story arc that I know none of you have been following, but it also makes a delightful joke about one of my least favorite genres of music. And, as an added bonus (well, maybe not for everyone - a bonus for many of you would probably be if I stopped doing this for good), it ties into the earlier hand-drawn strip that I posted above.
    2010-04-30-we-got-both-kinds.jpg

iglidante on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    well making it twice as long didn't make us laugh. Now, just for a lark, try making it funny.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Metal, seriously. Why bother? We're on the twentieth page of this shit.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    You know what? I just don't think I'm capable of making you guys laugh. Or even be amused. You seem to just plain hate what I'm doing.

iglidante on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    You might consider that you're just trying too hard, man.

You have great ideas, but then when you put them into a comic strip, you just add too much. You're like, "Hey you know what'd be better than a race car? A race car with a microwave and a coffee maker"

No, the only thing better than a race car is two race cars. Or one faster race car. Take your pick because nobody has time to eat a hot pocket or drink some coffee while they're racing and they don't want that shit to spill all over them anyway.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Interesting analogy, MB. And that's something I hadn't thought about before.

iglidante on
  • Options
    JLM-AWPJLM-AWP Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I agree 100% with what Metal said, but don't tell him I said that. Let me try to take a stab at helping out here.

Your jokes....aren't jokes. They're randomness. Having something happen in a panel, and then having gingerbread dude say "Oh Mr. Stinky, this is unfortunate for some reason or another. *Insert random thing to push the story to the next strip*!!!" is not going to make many people laugh...at least not around here.

Pull it back a few notches. In almost every strip, you have something happening that is completely unexplainable or off-the-charts crazy. This makes it really tough to a.) connect with any of your characters, and thus, relate to the situation your charcters are in, or b.) allow for any low-key jokes or "normal" things happening. It's pretty safe to say that nobody here knows what the hell is going on in your comic. I don't, and I read through all of them (sorta). It's complete chaos. TONE. IT. DOWN.

Sorry man, but it's just not doin' any funny bone ticklin' for me. I gave it my best shot. I would take some time to figure out exactly what you want to say to your reader on a strip-by-strip basis. Slow down and think out your strips. Pies, rainbows, and giant teddy bears can be really funny, but aren't in the way that you're using them. You lack context.

JLM-AWP on