As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hates, Hopes, and Happy Holidays

• The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So Very Very Very Happy:

It's so very good to be the only plate Melee DPS: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=The+Forgotten+Coast&cn=Smashandbash

All from ICC 10 tonight or ToC. Its funny two weeks ago or maybe less I forget I was a fresh 80 in quest blues and green. A crap ton of heroics and 10 mans later and I don't need to be carried any more thats a good feeling.

Full cleared (first wing) it only wiping once on Saurfang due to fail blood beast kiting. Putricide and his abominations on Sunday.

Hate: I have 93s to my name.

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Embarrassed: I just Tanked Half of Reg Halls of Stone in Blood Presence. :oops:

A DK tank I had earlier today realized after the Brann event but before the final boss that he was in Unholy Presence.

Seg on
    edited January 2010
    FightTest wrote: »
    exis wrote: »
    Happy: First 80!

Hate: People don't seem to like their random heroic tank having 20k unbuffed HP. I'm defense capped and can hold aggro without a problem, and once we get underway everything runs relatively smoothly. But getting people to stay without the healer bitching constantly or leaving has been a chore. Tanking while levelling was a whole lot less of a hassle.

I would tend to agree with the people who dislike it. A group can carry the hell out of a weak DPS, but a weak tank can completely slow/destroy a group. 20k is even low as far as heroics back in the day go. I would really recommend you queue as DPS until you pick up some tanking gear to at least hit 25k+. Most tanks are fairly geared these days so getting heroic tank drops is pretty easy.

Heroic UK I started in the wrong set and had 21k health the healer was looking forward to putting in a lot of effort to keep me alive, and then one of the dps commented on my low health and I switched sets. When my health jumped up to 28k the healer frowned.

Although getting some guildies to run regular ToC with a low health tank a few times will bring that health up pretty easily.

Seg on
  • The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Seg wrote: »
    Embarrassed: I just Tanked Half of Reg Halls of Stone in Blood Presence. :oops:

A DK tank I had earlier today realized after the Brann event but before the final boss that he was in Unholy Presence.

I've been a off tank for Naxx one time and forgot to swap from Frost Presence.

It took like 3 heroics until the tank asked me why I was pulling aggro. I also constantly forget to switch back to blood during a raid after using Unholy to run around and thus I am left wondering why I have so many free GCD`s with nothing to do.

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • NeylaNeyla Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Woot: Got the achievement The Orb Whisperer (wow that was easy, 2 shot) and took 3 tries to get Lana'thel. On the third try the raid decided I should be first to get bitten due to my VE, and yeah once i got bitten the healers didn't need to touch me at all. That fight makes me love being a shadow priest even more... self heal...fear ward...shadowmeld (saved me on 2 wipes, DI for sissies!).

Woot the second: Got my 2pc t10 finally. I love how the priest cowl looks, except I hate my NE ears in it :( Also got Meg'har Chieftan's staff :)

Hope: I become Astral Walker tonight, mind you not as cool as Herald of the Titans (and we are the only ones on the server that title I believe) but it's another title I get to play with. Now just have to hope those who had issues last time fixed it for tonight and maybe I will manage another Supermassive into that. 8-)

Neyla on
    13142111181576.png
  • shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Is the first vampyr completely random with the exception of the main tank or is there a way to specify who gets bitten by the Queen?

shadowane on
    edited January 2010
    yes, the first one is random, but our raid sets up who gets bitten first (so if X person is the first he has to bite me next). Then everyone get's their bite target set up, I only had to bite 3 people before we finished the encounter and our kill just happened that I was the first vampire. Sometimes RNG can be your friend...sometimes.

Neyla on
    13142111181576.png
  • DharmaBumDharmaBum Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hate: there is an old guild member who left a while ago to join a more "hardcore" guild, who left and alt in my guild so that he could still chat with people on our website. Except that "chatting with friends" really has turned into talkin shit at every chance he gets.

DharmaBum on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Neyla wrote: »
    This is so true. I got H FoS for my random last night, and I usually warn people that my pally tank is an undergeared alt since so many people are geared to the teeth now. I get this warrior, he was a nice guy but trigger happy. He do his whirly bird before I even have consecrate down /sigh. Just annoying. And I swear assisting off the tank is a thing of the past....

It is a thing of the past. When AOE tanking, no tank worth his salt, unless using raid marks with a reasonable expectation of them being followed, is going to be targeting one mob. When you are tanking heroics as a tank, you run up and try to spread your threat equally among all of the mobs until you can get a feel for who is DPSing what mob. While doing this you're going to madly be tab-targeting.

Assisting off the tank is just pointless.

This.

Honestly, I wish the DPS would just assist off each other. One of the three of you, pick something, and all three of you make it die.

Sometimes it feels like when they pick something and kill it is more of a lucky/happy coincidence than an actual plan in action, and I've got the rogue fighting one thing, the boomkin Orbital Defense Platform'ing something else, and the warlock dot'ing the shit out of the whole pack.

As long as things die and it doesn't become a clusterfuck, I just try to stun/taunt whatever gets free while having enough life to be dangerous, but at that point I just try to keep shit off the healer and the DPS are somewhat on their own.
    Hate: I have 93s to my name.

Luckily, a couple of random heroics'll fix that right up!

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I totally don't dot the shit out of the whole pack.

Oh wait, yes I do.

>_>

<_<

In practice though, if stuff lives long enough, I never seem to find a target with enough threat where I don't have to target switch onto something else anyway.

(If stuff doesn't live long enough, then it doesn't even matter anyway.)

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
    edited January 2010
    Exactly. With a crappily geared or skilled group that has just enough dps to be a danger to themselves and others, I am actively trying to hold onto everything for their own sake.

When I'm in a group that's so badass that things just melt and die, I'm not so much "tanking" as I am "holding onto it long enough for it to die, whether it's beating on me or wandering off forwards the ranged". At that point, distance itself does much of the work.

Arcane mages that wander into melee range to arcane explosion, however, are taking their lives into their own hands. I'll try to protect you, little gnome, but I make no promises.

Be fast on the blink, is all I'm saying.

Forar on
  • exisexis Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm in the habit of putting a single skull up as I pull a group. I'm not overly concerned if people kill it first, but I'm basically guaranteeing that I'll keep aggro on that mob so the DPS can go nuts and know that if I somehow lose it, it'll be kept off of them. By the time one mob is down I'll generally have solid enough aggro on everything else that random tabbing will be enough.

exis on
  • PaulTheAfraidPaulTheAfraid Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hope: I've started daily runs of the three new 5-mans to give myself as many chances as possible at a battered hilt.

Happy: I see my first one!

Hate: I lose it to a warrior tank from my realm. It's on the AH within a couple of minutes after the run at a 15k buyout.

PaulTheAfraid on
    edited January 2010
    Well I think my tanking pet pev steams from having a "courteous" perspective. I done a fair bit of random heroics on my main and usually end up being the over geared person. I take my time to see what I am dealing with, so if my tank looks/says they undergeared I will not go balls to the wall and make his life hell. We both want to get things done quickly and smoothly. I will match the pace of my tank.

So when I tank, I just expect the DPS to do the same. My pally is under geared and neglected, but my main needs frost badges for saronite. So when some t10 geared to the teeth arms warrior runs in whirlwinding before a concrete ticks, then i get annoyed.

Neyla on
    13142111181576.png
  • GnutsonGnutson Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Happy - Healed something more than heroics on my shammy, did Ony-10 and we one shot it with me and our druid healer. Lost the MT on the phase 2-3 shift, but our tree got him back up toot sweet and the OT picked ony up for the few seconds it took.

So more a testament to our group overcoming my 'healing' than my actual healing :p

Hope - Get past the same 3 bosses we do every friday night in ICC and see something new tonight.

Gnutson on
    Erai - Operative <--Imperial Double Agent--> Sniper - Eari
    SW:Tor - Tao - Kryatt Dragon Server
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    A hate a big hate

I get Oculus for my heroic run
    And we lose healer one on the 2nd pull
    Healer 2 on the 3rd pull
    And healer 3 was ok

My hate was WHY AM I the only person who knows what to do in there anymore?

Brainleech on
    edited January 2010
    Brainleech wrote: »

People heard "omg loot bag! Mount!" and instead of dropping group automatically (and never learning the zone) they stick it out and hope to be carried through to the end?

I wonder what the "runs created" vs "successfully completed" ratio is looking like these days.

Forar on
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I was gonna invite your rogue to 10 man maly last night, but you logged right before I could.

Which is probably just as well, we wiped like 5 times lol. Nobody knows that fight anymore, and I'd forgotten alot of stuff.

Bigity on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Bigity wrote: »
    I was gonna invite your rogue to 10 man maly last night, but you logged right before I could.

Which is probably just as well, we wiped like 5 times lol. Nobody knows that fight anymore, and I'd forgotten alot of stuff.

My brother Lemanruss { the paladin} has both keys and knows what to do so ask him when he gets on if he wants to start it when I get up

Brainleech on
    edited January 2010
    Forar wrote: »

People heard "omg loot bag! Mount!" and instead of dropping group automatically (and never learning the zone) they stick it out and hope to be carried through to the end?

I wonder what the "runs created" vs "successfully completed" ratio is looking like these days.

"Avg number of people who portal in per completion" would be an interesting stat to see.

Seg on
    edited January 2010

My brother Lemanruss { the paladin} has both keys and knows what to do so ask him when he gets on if he wants to start it when I get up

Oh we finished it, just had a rough start until people got the idea. :(

I like his name but I always preferred the Whirlwind. Hooray for large templates of destruction. But I mostly played against 'Nids so I'm biased.

Bigity on
    edited January 2010
    Neyla wrote: »
    Well I think my tanking pet pev steams from having a "courteous" perspective. I done a fair bit of random heroics on my main and usually end up being the over geared person. I take my time to see what I am dealing with, so if my tank looks/says they undergeared I will not go balls to the wall and make his life hell. We both want to get things done quickly and smoothly. I will match the pace of my tank.

So when I tank, I just expect the DPS to do the same. My pally is under geared and neglected, but my main needs frost badges for saronite. So when some t10 geared to the teeth arms warrior runs in whirlwinding before a concrete ticks, then i get annoyed.

I can take hits in most heroics and I don't get crit as a feral so I don't really pay much attention to what the tank is doing. If my health starts going down, I just swap to bear and wait until it dies or gets taunted. But that only really works for feral druids who can't be crit even as dps.

edit: Although I do wait for the tank to do something on a group before going crazy with swipe. It's not always long enough. Of course I queue as tank / dps and have never gotten chosen as dps so this is a moot point for random groups.

shadowane on
    edited January 2010
    "Avg number of people who portal in per completion" would be an interesting stat to see.

Good call!

"The good news, Oculus is no longer our least completed instance! The bad news... it takes an average heroic completion 9 people to finish it over the complete duration. Yes, it's now a five man raid."

Forar on
  • TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Happy: Blue Drake
    Hilarious: My hunter friend who I did the daily with got it first, and was all, IN YOUR FACE NADAST.
    That's when I opened my bag.

TheCrumblyCracker on
    edited January 2010

Good call!

"The good news, Oculus is no longer our least completed instance! The bad news... it takes an average heroic completion 9 people to finish it over the complete duration. Yes, it's now a five man raid."

I believe it, based on my last Oculus run. The tank, the healer, and I were the only ones who weren't replaced, but we replaced other dps multiple times because they kept dropping out. >_<

I think we even got Make It Count. Not that it's hard these days.

End on
  • mturalonmturalon Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    is it still the case that you only get the "extra" bag of loot if you get OC as a random? I used to get OC all the time as my random, now since the loot upgrade I never get it.

mturalon on
    edited January 2010
    mturalon wrote: »
    is it still the case that you only get the "extra" bag of loot if you get OC as a random? I used to get OC all the time as my random, now since the loot upgrade I never get it.

From what I understand, yeah.

End on
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It was rather amusing, yesterday Occulus was the most common random I encountered. I hit it on two out of the three characters I did randoms with. No drake though :(

Nobody on
    edited January 2010
    K just checking. I don't want to start Queuing for OC and realize after the run that the bag just won't drop for me.

mturalon on
  • douglydougly Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The Oculus bag has to be manually looted from the chest.

dougly on
    puffin.png
    edited January 2010
    yes, I know. I'm referring to it not being there if you que for the instance vs being there if you get it as a random. Which for me hasn't been on my random list since they upgraded the loot table. Prior to the upgrade I got OC ever day.

mturalon on
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Oh we finished it, just had a rough start until people got the idea. :(

I like his name but I always preferred the Whirlwind. Hooray for large templates of destruction. But I mostly played against 'Nids so I'm biased.

Leman Russ was a person

Specifically, Primarch of the Space Wolves

He invented special beer so that the Space Wolves could still get drunk

He is a just and honorable badass and you demean him by comparing him to a Rhino with a rocket launcher strapped to it

Salvation122 on
    edited January 2010
    Honorable badass? More like one step away from a dirty mutant, Guilliman, now that is a real bad ass.

Bigity on
  • SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hate: Primadonna tanks that go afk three times in the first ten minutes of the run. We all said screw it and left the tank behind.

Happy: Apparently with decent heals, I can Ret-tank pretty well. I had more health than the tank anyway.

Samphis on
    edited January 2010
    Funny: I got Utgarde Keep on my druid and my priest last night. I tanked it on the druid in about 13 minutes. The run with the shadow priest took like 25 minutes and the tank kept apologizing for going slow because he was tired. I was top dps for both of them though. The druid tank is easy since I do like 3800 dps through the run. My priest, though, was a surprise since she's not super geared. I think the rest of the people just sucked.

shadowane on
  • DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Happy: Sunreaver Dragonhawk get! (I'd post a snazzy picture but I'm at work) That thing is pretty cool, if not as big as it will be if I ever get it on my male tauren.

Annoyed: Story time. I'm healing H PoS on said tauren Shaman, the Pally tank is Sonicus from US-Perenolde. He's got pretty decent gear, pretty much on par with my own pally tank. A few pulls into the instance he goes AFK without a word, coming back two minutes later or so to say something about having to let his roommate in who didn't have a key. Mmkay, could've given us a BRB or something.

After that we continue and as the healer I notice that the Rogue and Ret Pally are pulling aggro from him a decent amount of the time. The tank comments on this saying something about 'wow I can't hold aggro on anything?', and granted the Rogue and Ret Pally are each putting out close to 4k DPS.

After Garfrost I just happened to notice that he had Seal of Wisdom up, so I mention he should be using Corruption as it's much better for threat. Then he starts arguing with me that he switched because he wasn't getting enough mana back from heals, this argument coming while he's taking out the skeleton digger right after Garfrost, spamming Consecrate every cooldown. I do mention to him that he can cut Consecrate out of his rotation for single targets and frequently out after the first one or two on groups as well. But he does switch to Corruption and what do you know, the Rogue and Ret Pally stop pulling aggro so much.

Except the next pull is the Geist Ambush, and while he got them gathered up, the DPS didn't really wait for that, the Shadow Priest ran right into the middle of them and started doing his AoE purple ripple thing, pulls aggro and though I get a few heals on him, he *keeps* DPSing and dies. By this point, the Rogue and Ret Pally are pulling aggro too, but they're more healable than a clothie at 0 range. The tank bitches at me to 'not tell him how to tank', and I just comment that he was the one who was commenting about how he couldn't hold aggro. Which he replies it was because he was OOM, even though that isn't really what he said originally.

He then proceeds to run in and pull like 4 of those fucking shamblers in front of Ick, which I've never seen anyone do since it's almost a disaster because of all the puddles and injections and the chance of not having people focusing on one to kill them before their final burst and everything. But we lived, luckily. Then he stands there for a bit apparently to open up his talent pane and link Spiritual Attunement to me. To which I reply that it's an extremely minor part of Prot Pally mana regen at this point, since Blessing of Sanct and Divine Plea were a much greater part. He says something about how he was using Divine Plea, but by this point I'm getting kind of sick of the whole discussion.

During Ick, we had the Rogue die to the Arcane Mines pretty early on, and the tank insisted on staying in for the Poison Nova around the middle of the fight. It *is* healable, but there's *really* no reason at all to stay in during it. Near the end of the fight, Ick did another Poison Nova and everyone stayed way too close, the Shadow Priest and Ret Pally die and we finished shortly after because he didn't have much health left. Ugh. And the fucking crossbow dropped *again*, fucking thing has like a 50% drop rate.

Rest of the pulls went ok, the Ice Cave was a bit iffy, but luckily I didn't really have to throw many heals until we were nearly at the end, so no one died. But on Tyrannus, the shadow priest stayed *waaay* too close to the cave opening, aggroed some of the skeleton casters there, and all of a sudden I get hit by two 15k shadowbolts. Well that was fun. I would've reincarnated, but an ice patch went down *right* on top of me, so I had to wait. Luckily the Shadow Priest was heads up enough after that to heal the tank for a bit, when the ice patch finally cleared, I popped up, took back over healing and we finished.

The tank left the dungeon, though not the party, and the rogue asked what now, to which the priest suggested H HoR... luckily I was already leaving group by that point.

Tank just rubbed me the wrong way. It's not that he was doing things overtly wrong or anything, but he could've been doing things better and was completely resistant to the criticism. It comes to mind as I write this, with the way he was phrasing his OOM problems, I wonder if he doesn't know that overheals no longer give mana? I mean, it's not like I *wasn't* healing him, but he was full on health most of the time, it's what happens when you get well-geared.

Dranyth on
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Was he keeping divine plea up? He says he was but it doesn't sound like he knew how to roll it.

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Was he keeping divine plea up? He says he was but it doesn't sound like he knew how to roll it.

I actually have no idea if he was keeping it up or not, I didn't keep that close of an eye on him.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, after Ick I noticed we all had Crusader Aura. I made a comment that he (or the other pally) had it on but since Ret Aura was the other aura going, I assumed it was him. We did the first ramp pull before I noticed one of the auras change to Fire Resist, but honestly I think it was the Ret Pally who did that. After the second ramp pull, I didn't see Crusader Aura anymore, all I saw was Ret Aura, so I assumed both of them had it on.

I'll have to actually take a closer look at his spec/stats though. The really weird thing is, he was only doing around 1800 DPS which what seemed to be almost the exact same gear as my Prot Pally, and I typically do well over 2k in any instance, anywhere around 2.4k-3k. So I don't know if he's lacking certain talents or what exactly.

Dranyth on
    edited January 2010

Noob-75 Prot Paladin... "roll it"?

You do mean use it, or is there some mechanic to it that I'm somehow missing? Isn't it just like 15 sec of mana regen on a 1 minute cooldown? I use it all the time on my paladin, but I admit he hasn't gotten a whole pile of attention lately either.

Forar on
  • GnutsonGnutson Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Noob-75 Prot Paladin... "roll it"?

You do mean use it, or is there some mechanic to it that I'm somehow missing? Isn't it just like 15 sec of mana regen on a 1 minute cooldown? I use it all the time on my paladin, but I admit he hasn't gotten a whole pile of attention lately either.

You can keep it up if you attack another target within 20 seconds (iirc)

Our prot pallys always play the "keep divine plea running" game when we do heroics.

Gnutson on
    Erai - Operative <--Imperial Double Agent--> Sniper - Eari
    SW:Tor - Tao - Kryatt Dragon Server
This discussion has been closed.