As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Super Mario Bros Wii - Out Now. 15

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It would be nice if after some milestone -- say, completing the game -- you could just watch any of the Super Guide playthroughs on levels you've completed.

In the game previews/reviews that demonstrated it, Luigi moved pretty poky and did things as simply and with as little finesse as possible (to demonstrate how to beat levels to the everyman), so I'd like to see how he handles some of the more hectic stages without me having to go into one and just die over and over.

forty on
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Attempting world 9 with my three friends tonight...I've saved it as we're all playing through the game together. Wish me luck!

Also, I just realized that I found Yoshi on exactly ONE level. Did I do something wrong? I feel sort of cheated on my Yoshi time.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    forty wrote: »
    It would be nice if after some milestone -- say, completing the game -- you could just watch any of the Super Guide playthroughs on levels you've completed.

In the game previews/reviews that demonstrated it, Luigi moved pretty poky and did things as simply and with as little finesse as possible (to demonstrate how to beat levels to the everyman), so I'd like to see how he handles some of the more hectic stages without me having to go into one and just die over and over.
    I've watched one Super Guide video out of curiosity and have no desire to see more. He never uses the run button. Who on Earth plays Mario like that?!

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Mr Pink wrote: »
    Attempting world 9 with my three friends tonight...I've saved it as we're all playing through the game together. Wish me luck!

Also, I just realized that I found Yoshi on exactly ONE level. Did I do something wrong? I feel sort of cheated on my Yoshi time.

There is one Yoshi level per world.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    AkatsukiAkatsuki Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I've watched one Super Guide video out of curiosity and have no desire to see more. He never uses the run button. Who on Earth plays Mario like that?!

People who need the Super Guide.

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:
    ...my inner weaboo can kawaii all over this desu.

Pokémon HGSS: 1205 1613 4041
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    There are a few places where I'd love to see both super skills for the whole level, and the super guide. Sometimes it just gets a bit ridiculous in those levels.

I'm still working on getting all my coins though. I've got 1-4 done, missing one in 5, and then a ton in 6-8.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Kor wrote: »
    Mr Pink wrote: »

There is one Yoshi level per world.

Not true, I haven't looked up the specifics but there are only 4 or 5. There is no more than one per world.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    List of Yoshi stages:

1-3
    2-5
    3-2
    4-5
    6-4
    7-6

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • Options
    edited January 2010

That's what I've heard, but I'd still like to see how he handles the more hectic levels, since I assume he does things, let's say, "elegantly." Like in 8-4 or the final level, I want to see how he handles things in his "anyone can do this!" play style. Or, hell, 7-castle. Come to think of it, he must use the run button there, as I would think that level is impossible without it. If any level in the game can't be done without running, it has to be that one.

Also, the final Bowser Jr. fight seems like it would be really tough without an ice flower (which, thankfully, you can get in the stage before going in to fight him).

forty on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I've seen people try to do it. Namely, people who are bad at Mario games.

They never believe me when I tell them that these games are actually easier if you run.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Woo! Got my 5 stars! Lost the shiny though... d'oh. Died 8 times on a stage trying to get all the damned star coins.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    SeolSeol Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    List of Yoshi stages:

1-3
    2-5
    3-2
    4-5
    6-4
    7-6
    Yoshi stages are always near a bush with fruit on it on the map.

Seol on
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I just finished EVERYTHING in my game as well. I just missed the shinies, having gotten the S-Guide on one of the Castle's (Morton's, I think; the one with the swinging platforms over lava,) and later on that hidden stage with the parabeetles. I understand the complaints for 9-7 now, but I have to admit, 9-8 made it all worth it. :mrgreen:

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So, Baby Bowser, piece of cake. Bowser Battle 1 - No problem.
    Being chased down by the giant Dino as he is clawing away at the map and shooting fireballs at you while you jump from small platform to small platform with your ex playing as Toad... Not so easy.

Dignified Pauper on
    PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So does this game = NSMB DS? My cousin has the Wii version, and my buddy has the DS version. I'd like to play both if they are different games, but if not then I am opting for the Wii version.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Idx86 wrote: »
    So does this game = NSMB DS? My cousin has the Wii version, and my buddy has the DS version. I'd like to play both if they are different games, but if not then I am opting for the Wii version.

NSMB Wii !=NSMB DS. It's a sequel, not a port

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yea, it's a sequel. New worlds, story, villians, and even the return of some long lost badguys from Mario past.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    and even the return of some long lost badguys from Mario past.

Such as?

I'm on the fence on re-buying a Wii. This could help sway me.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    and even the return of some long lost badguys from Mario past.

Such as?

I'm on the fence on re-buying a Wii. This could help sway me.

The Koopalings return in all their glory! From Larry to Morton Jr...they're all here and accounted for.
    :D

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yea, it's a sequel. New worlds, story, villians, and even the return of some long lost badguys from Mario past.
    the kids?

edit: should have hit refresh before post.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited January 2010
    Am I allowed to feel smug about this game already outselling Galaxy in total sales only two months after its release? Because I kind of do.

Opium on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Naw it's ok to feel that way.

I love both games so very much, but 2-D Mario just speaks to the people due to it's familiarity compared to its 3-D brethren.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Okay then - I will be playing the DS version first. Sweet.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Opium wrote: »
    Am I allowed to feel smug about this game already outselling Galaxy in total sales only two months after its release? Because I kind of do.

If you made the game I guess.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    AkatsukiAkatsuki Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Idx86 wrote: »
    Okay then - I will be playing the DS version first. Sweet.

It's not a sequel in the sense that you need to play the DS one first. But sure, play it it's a good game despite what many say. Just not on NSMBW level :P

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:
    ...my inner weaboo can kawaii all over this desu.

Pokémon HGSS: 1205 1613 4041
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    So, Baby Bowser, piece of cake. Bowser Battle 1 - No problem.
    Being chased down by the giant Dino as he is clawing away at the map and shooting fireballs at you while you jump from small platform to small platform with your ex playing as Toad... Not so easy.
    She's an ex because you played NSMBW with her, right?

forty on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Opium wrote: »
    Why?

Speaking of sales, how is this doing vs. MW2 on the Xbox? Is Reggie on his way to eating his shoe (or whatever) from his prediction to Gametrailers?

forty on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    No, he already won the bet, since NSMBWii beat the PS3 version of MW2. Reggies bet was that it would best the game on one system.

But in December it sold more than both versions of MW2, and it may very well end up beating the 360 version if sales stay like that by the end of January.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Honestly, as much as I loved both games, I liked Galaxy more. If Nintendo knew what was good for them, they'd find some way to market one using the other.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    No, he already won the bet, since NSMBWii beat the PS3 version of MW2. Reggies bet was that it would best the game on one system.
    He started by saying it would sell more than the game on one system, but didn't the interview guy press him and make him pick a console? I thought he did, but this was months ago, and I won't be out from behind the Iron Curtain for a while to be able to check any video sites.

forty on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    He started by saying it would sell more than the game on one system, but didn't the interview guy press him and make him pick a console? I thought he did, but this was months ago, and I won't be out from behind the Iron Curtain for a while to be able to check any video sites.

I think that *Silly Goose* from Gametrailers tweeted that Reggie said afterward the 360, but who knows since the dude is usually a huge silly goose.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    FalstaffFalstaff Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Honestly, as much as I loved both games, I liked Galaxy more. If Nintendo knew what was good for them, they'd find some way to market one using the other.

They could make that work for them, yeah. Maybe start off the commercial for Galaxy 2 with NSMBW's 2D Mario jumping into a cannon - then BAM! It blasts him into one of the fanciful space flights that made Galaxy so beautiful to play.

Falstaff on
    Still verbing the adjective noun.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Reggie started out saying it would sell better on one system. The guy said "Even the 360 version?" and Reggie replied "on one particular platform." Which is heavily implying PS3, but you can interpret that any way you like. And the internet has.

4:20

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Man, I'm conflicted..

On one hand, I'd love to get a Wii with NSMB and Mario Galaxy.

On the other hand, I have terrible-ish OCD and would literally be stressed out over owning two consoles. Plus I don't think it would be a terribly smart financial choice at this point.

Hmm.. baby steps, I'll have to mull it over for a while.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Penguin_OtakuPenguin_Otaku Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    What are the fucking cannons for and how do I get to them?

Penguin_Otaku on
    sig-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Find the secret exit to a certain cannon, they blast you to another land like a warp zone.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    They warp you to another world. Some stages have hidden exits, some of which lead to cannons.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    Penguin_OtakuPenguin_Otaku Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    That's gay. no Star Road or anything?

Penguin_Otaku on
    sig-1.jpg
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    There's a Special World equivalent.

You unlock one level in it each time you collect all the star coins in a given world.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    And they are generally much more tough than regular worlds.

Especially 9-7.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!