As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Who wants to make a new game? :D

1101112131416»

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    slash000 wrote: »
    Well, nobody can hold a copyright to an idea. And certainly they cannot copyright the term Adventure.

They can trademark certain things, but the word Adventure is extremely generic. Completely generic terms usually get no trademark protection at all.

So really, I don't know what they have. We didn't copy any code, didn't copy any art or audio assets. Nothing in the remake was in the original. Everything was built from the ground up. There may have been an issue with the title of the game but that can be changed easily.

In any case, it doesn't matter. I've got this new engine and we can make a new game with it.

They really have nothing, they're just banking on the fact that nobody will fight a C&D. While this is an intentional copying on your part with full knowledge of possible infringement, I feel compelled to link this awesome document again, illustrating the horrible nature of copyright law. (starting at page 543)

And yeah, I suppose it doesn't matter at this point. But to be honest I feel an urge to spread your game around the internet discreetly in protest. :P

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sorry about the C&D Slash.

I second Dragonduck Chronicles.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    CowboybotCowboybot Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    They've taken away Duke Nukem Forever...

They've taken away his Girl...

and now,

They've taken away his Game Idea...

This summer, theres gonna be hell to pay, if he can just get his wallet back from the Bat.

Starring 5 star thread maker of the Penny Arcade Forums, Slash. If theres one movie you have to watch, its the critically acclaimed feel good thriller of the year.. Dragonduck Chronicles.

I think that'd work...

Cowboybot on
    Looking 2 buy 2 GBA SP's, Any color, must work, Battery cable included. Will pay more than Gamestop or EB, but less than Ebay.
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hahaha, that definitely sounds like something I'd buy/play/watch.

Impersonator on
  • Options
    Byte KnightByte Knight Registered User new member
    edited February 2010
    Hi Slash,

Your plight is also being discussed extensively over at the AtariAge forums. The creator of Adventure II and the engineer of the Atari Flashback II have chimed in. You should chime in as well!

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/157950-adventure-reboot-taken-down/

Byte Knight on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Not much to discuss. They can't release their own version of Adventure with the same levels. They can however use the same mechanics of adventure with their own levels.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    MiDKnighTMiDKnighT Registered User new member
    This is heartbreaking. I was able to get a copy of version 1.0 and this version was great except the missing items / bat problems that people already talked about on this thread.

Then I hear that @slash000 fixed these issues but can't release it because of Atari? Terrible.

Have you offered to sell this version to Atari? With the item/bat issues fixed it would be the best version of Adventure in existence.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    That iteration of a company using the atari name probably doesn't even exist anymore, not sure who even owns the trademark these days. Anyway slash hasn't been around here for 6 years or so.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MiDKnighTMiDKnighT Registered User new member
    The bat is so broken in version 1.0 it's almost unplayable. Along with items going missing from the map for a period of time until the bat decides to place it back on the map somewhere.

I wish @slash000 would have posted the source code so that somebody could continue his work.

An Adventure / Final Fantasy hybrid would be awesome. Imagine an adventure style game where you have final fantasy style battles against dragons or other enemies. Of course it would be almost impossible to beat a dragon without a sword ( or mage staff :smile: ). There could be hidden random enemies too like like goblins and such.

Basically take slash's version, fix the bat, add HP, final fantasy style battles, maybe even add items like a mage staff, armor, shield, and helmet (armor, shield, and helmet could just stay with you once you obtain them and increase your defense). Of course change the maps around so Atari doesn't do the C&D thing. The gold castle could act like an inn (restore HP) perhaps along with a healing well in the room SE of the forest you use to get to the white castle (or equivalent room in a new map). Call it "Final Adventure" or something.