As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Screen Saver Maker Advice/Flash critique

veracityveracity Registered User new member
edited January 2010 in Artist's Corner
Hi. This is my first time posting on Penny-Arcade and so I made a special piece in Flash, specifically for this purpose. Twisp and Catsby are some of my favorite sideline characters on the site so I put together a short animation based off a wallpaper of Twisp and Catsby (you'll probably recognize it).

Anyway, the .swf is hosted on Newgrounds (not for profit, it’s my first posting ever to Newgrounds as well), just as a tribute piece, and can be found here.

My problem is that I wanted to turn the loop into a screen saver but have encountered several problems. I have a mac, so finding any share/freeware to make a screen saver is a pain (nearly non-existant, I tried iScreensaver but it has the Quicktime issue I am about to talk about...). When Apple updated Quicktime it disabled all Flash stuff so I can't find any programs that will work even when I can find a program that runs on a mac. Mac forums have been no help at all (just a lot of “Apple needs to fix Quicktime, blargleblargle”) so I thought maybe another artist would know. Any ideas?

Also, any critiques on the animation itself would be welcome. Thanks for letting me share!

veracity on

• Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This is pretty rad, I likes it.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    That is pretty neat and very pretty. The changing shape of the bubbles is kind of weird, though. I realize it's not supposed to be a realistic piece but bubbles typically stay round until they reach the surface and pop. They also tend to move at a similar speed to each other so the ones you've got starting at the bottom of the screen wouldn't reach the top at the same time as the ones coming out of Twisp and Catsby. That said, I don't know what the limitations of Flash are for that kind of thing.

Richard M. Nixon on
    chevy.jpgsteve.jpgmartin.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Thanks. I am pretty pleased with it. I agree about the bubbles, I already had another friend point it out to me but I didn't realize immediately that I could adjust the end time on them (first time in Flash). I will fix it and update.

Seriously though, the screen saver thing is the most frustrating, I wish I knew more about it.

veracity on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I want to drag that butterfly around, or at least have it chase my mouse.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Noted, I'll have to figure out some more about interactivity first. This was my first Flash attempt. I kinda just stuck with learning how it works for the first try. =)

I'm working on it though!

veracity on