As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

How often do you bathe?

DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
I'm annoyed at having to shower every day. Isn't it considered weird in most parts of the world to shower every day? Isn't that mostly a US thing? but if I don't, my hair is all greasy on day 2, and I'm self-conscious all day. If you have oily hair, are you pretty much doomed to have to shower every day?

DiscoZombie on

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2010
    Unless you're cool with greasy hair.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Depends on what you're doing and how much you sweat. If you stink, shower. If not, cool. Don't take your own nose's opinion though, you can't smell you like other people can. Always get a second opinion.

Peen on
  • EdilithEdilith Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I shower every day but that's down to my personal preference and upbringing.

Washing your hair too often can actually make hair more oily (as it works harder to replenish the oils most shampoos strip away), but if you do have naturally oily hair have you tried using a different shampoo? I used to use regular store-brand products but had problems with oily roots and dry ends until I switched to an organic shampoo and conditioner. It brags about having less -ates, -ites etc. on the front of the (eco-friendly) bottle but it worked for me.

Edilith on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It completely depends on climate, activities throughout the day, dating prospects and social obligations to me.

In the winter and if I haven't been very active or having a date/party I'll shower once every 2 days. Other times I tend to take a shower a day. Showering really doesn't take that long, you know. If all you want to do is wash off dirt and sweat and clean your hair you should be done within 2 minutes.

Aldo on
  • KillgrimageKillgrimage Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    My hair turns to instant grease the moment I hit the pillow (this includes naps!). I don't know what it is about my hair, but it needs to be washed every day (though I do skip a day if I know I'm not going out anywhere, usually Sunday.)

There are lots of people who simply can't wash their bodies every day because it's just too much washing. I have a friend who has to take a shower every other day (in winter ,every third) because she breaks out in a dry rash if she washes every day and her hair starts splitting.

It's true that we are considered a bit of an oddball nation because europe sees us as "obsessed" with cleanliness. To each his own, I say.

Killgrimage on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    My hair turns to instant grease the moment I hit the pillow (this includes naps!). I don't know what it is about my hair, but it needs to be washed every day (though I do skip a day if I know I'm not going out anywhere, usually Sunday.)

There are lots of people who simply can't wash their bodies every day because it's just too much washing. I have a friend who has to take a shower every other day (in winter ,every third) because she breaks out in a dry rash if she washes every day and her hair starts splitting.

It's true that we are considered a bit of an oddball nation because europe sees us as "obsessed" with cleanliness. To each his own, I say.
    What Europe?

Anyway, yea I think you Yanks are weird with certain hygiene things, especially the whole bright white teeth fetish. #FFFFFF is not a natural colour for teeth you silly Americans.

Aldo on
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I usually shower every day or every other day. If I'm not working for long periods of time and don't really plan to go out, that's when I usually skip one shower day. Otherwise, I don't think it's weird to shower every day. Even if it is more often than necessary, surely you're not doing anything bad to yourself either. Also, you said you felt weird with oily hair. When I feel "dirty", the only fix I've found so far is, you guessed it, to shower.

Djiem on
  • AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I shower every day, it literally takes a few minutes and makes me feel much better and awake in the mornings.

I don't think it's an American cleanliness thing as I don't know many people in the UK who don't shower every day. I can normally smell people who don't.

Smelling of BO is not nice and not nice for those around you. Lots of people don't even notice that they do smell bad and friends/family/colleagues can be afraid to tell them.

If you feel self-conscious then have a shower every day, just change your mindset so you don't feel 'doomed' by it and embrace the fact that you will smell nice and feel clean.

EDIT: oh yeah I might shower again if I have done a big workout or something.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I mostly shower twice daily. In the morning, to wake me up, and after work.

I really just like the feel of hot water. I don't wash my hair each time though.

Endomatic on
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm a pretty inactive person, so I don't really get that sweaty. I really don't smell bad if I only shower every other day. It's mostly my hair. Maybe I should switch shampoos like Edilith suggested. Or maybe I should just get a hair cut. Long hair definitely looks worse greasy than short hair.

I don't really hate showering every day, and I do take quick showers. It's just those mornings I wake up late and don't have time, I have to choose between getting to work late or looking gross, just because I missed one shower. sux.

DiscoZombie on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Shower when you've been sweating or are dirty. Wash your hair 2-3 times per week (any more and it will get greasy faster as your scalp tries to compensate for you washing it all the time).

TL DR on
  • SosSos Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Depending on work your boss may prefer late over gross.

Sos on
  • AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah I've known people who don't think they smell bad when they actually do. Not saying this is the case with you but it is something to consider.

Also as Sos pointed out, your boss may prefer you late than gross. Personally I'd skip breakfast over having a quick shower.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Most people shower every day. Not everybody washes their hair every day however.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm a pretty inactive person, so I don't really get that sweaty. I really don't smell bad if I only shower every other day. It's mostly my hair. Maybe I should switch shampoos like Edilith suggested. Or maybe I should just get a hair cut. Long hair definitely looks worse greasy than short hair.

I don't really hate showering every day, and I do take quick showers. It's just those mornings I wake up late and don't have time, I have to choose between getting to work late or looking gross, just because I missed one shower. sux.

Long hair looks worse greasy than short hair, but it takes short hair a lot less time to get greasy. Unless you're getting it cut incredibly short (like less than an inch) it'll always look greasy after a day.

This part is more for girls, but when I used to have incredibly long and thick hair I'd shower every day but only wash my hair a couple of times a week since if not I'd be using a ridiculous amount of shampoo.

Now that my hair is shoulder length I can skip a day only if I did nothing the day before.

But really showers take, at most, 10 minutes and most of that time for me is still spent hair washing. Find the time and don't be gross.

Asiina on
  • Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The first thing I do in the morning is take a long shower and wash my hair. If I don't, I usually feel "off" all day. If it's hot outside or I go to the gym I usually take another at night but just rinse my hair not wash it.

Disco11 on
    PSN: Canadian_llama
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    like a famous comedian once said

you really DON'T have to shower every day, not every part of your body

on your average daily activities, it's doubtful anyone will really notice anything until like day 5 or so

but you might be especially stinky, so watch out

however, if you plan on getting closer than a foot with anyone, they'll be able to tell after several days

and if you're trying to get your sex on, you'll be needing to shower or bathe every day

hair is different. Your hair can be naturally dry or greasy or whatever. But on average, I believe people get greasy hair because they use conditioner. Conditioner throws your hair chemistry out of whack

if you go several days without washing it, your hair will get greasy, however, if you keep it going a little longer, it'll get back to normal

if your hair is greasy anyway you shouldn't be using conditioner. try going with just a good shampoo for a while

Raneados on
  • ihmmyihmmy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I usually shower 2-3 times a week. It's going up because I'm starting to work out (I have a sedentary job and thus don't sweat there, well, ever). If you're working a lame office job with no activity you probably aren't getting all sweaty and stinky such that you need to shower every single day.

I hate showering in the morning though, I always end up showering or bathing in the evening. Using a blow dryer on my hair makes it frizz out horribly and I don't want to leave the house with wet hair, sooo that leaves evening washings and air drying.

ihmmy on
  • President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Aldo wrote: »

What Europe?

Anyway, yea I think you Yanks are weird with certain hygiene things, especially the whole bright white teeth fetish. #FFFFFF is not a natural colour for teeth you silly Americans.

Worse is the people who overtly use tooth-whitening strips and end up with bright white front teeth and yellow back teeth (not even as far back as molars). But that's not uniquely American; it actually seems incredibly common.

Regarding showers, I tend to go with one per weekday. If I'm alone on the weekend, I don't mind my potential smell, so showers may end up skipped (although my face may get oily, so then I attempt to at least clean it a bit). I tend to wash my hair every day, but it's relatively short. People with longer hair tend to wash it less often.

President Rex on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2010
    I thought this chart on OKC was pretty interesting:
    ScreenHunter_01%20Jan.%2023%2012.43.jpg

shows the climate/humidity bias pretty clearly. I shower everyday, but I like to shower. I'm also from North Carolina, and even though I'm In MD now its habit. I do seem to shower far more often than my roomates, who will go for a few days without showering. One of them, however, will wash her hair quickly in the sink almost daily. I'm not sure what this saves her, but maybe that appeals to you?

Iruka on
  • SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I try to shower every morning. But usually just a quick 2 minute one. I only wash my hair every other day. If the shower is taken by my hubby and I'm in a hurry I just throw a towel on the floor and go over face, neck, armpits, crotch and ass in the bathroom sink. I feel just as clean, but it leaves the bathroom a bit messier, so I only do that when I have to.

Siska on
  • ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If I don't shower every day I itch. Everywhere. It may be all in my head, but there you go. I will admittedly not shower on the weekends if I have no plans, but the minute I decide to go out, even just to the store, I shower.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Not showering every day is pretty gross.

I shower at least twice a day. Once in the morning when I get up and then once after I work out. I only wash my hair in the morning, though, since you aren't usually supposed to shampoo more than once per day.

Mace1370 on
  • ZegunaZeguna Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I feel so terrible if I don't shower every day.

Zeguna on
  • mullymully Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    6 out of 7 days a week. Brush teeth twice a day, too. (Though, once on Saturday and once on Sunday unless I'm feeling particularly mouth-gross /or going out somewhere.)

mully on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Showering every day is a good idea.

However, you most definitely don't need to wash your hair every day, and doing so will just make your greasy hair problem worse. They make shampoos for oily hair; you should start buying those, and only wash your hair maybe every other day.

Thanatos on
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Iruka wrote: »

shows the climate/humidity bias pretty clearly. I shower everyday, but I like to shower. I'm also from North Carolina, and even though I'm In MD now its habit. I do seem to shower far more often than my roomates, who will go for a few days without showering. One of them, however, will wash her hair quickly in the sink almost daily. I'm not sure what this saves her, but maybe that appeals to you?

What the fuck is up with Vermont?

Also, eww @ not showering at least once a day. me I shower 1-4 times a day, but I'm a personal hygiene freak

Rent on
  • illigillig Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    jeebus... i'd hate to work, commute, or even LIVE near some of you

if you're a hermit with no social interactions, then yes, it's OK to not shower daily.... but if other people have to be in close proximity to you, then do us a favor and shower... we don't want to smell your BO all day, even if you don't notice it

illig on
  • baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    To the OP: You're asking a question that I don't think you'll get many honest answers to.

Put it this way: I think most people, if asked, will say that they shower every day, brush their teeth twice a day, floss regularly, and always wash their hands after using the bathroom.

Now, hang out in a stall in a public restroom for, say, 15 minutes and count the number of people who actually wash their hands on leaving. Or ask a dentist how often people REALLY floss. :)

baudattitude on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Aldo wrote: »

What Europe?

Exactly, it's not natural so somebody can exploit that by making everyone feel insecure for not having white teeth. It's brilliant.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • SosSos Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You guys are just freaks. I think most people could get away with showering every other day. The only reason I shower every day is because I do labor that works up a sweat and it makes shaving a lot easier (which I also do every day because of how fast my facial hair grows). If I was back at retail I could shower every other day easy and no one would notice.

Not everybody has oily hair. Not everybody works up a terrible smell (this comes from your diet and a little of the state of your body hair). I like my body odor. I've had girls ask what cologne I was wearing but really it was just the odor produced from the sweat I got from dancing with them.

Sos on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    My skin gets really dry if I shower every day during the cold months. So I usually go for every other day, unless I've done something physically intensive.
    if you're a hermit with no social interactions, then yes, it's OK to not shower daily.... but if other people have to be in close proximity to you, then do us a favor and shower... we don't want to smell your BO all day, even if you don't notice it

guess what, there are people all around you... who didn't shower today

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Rent wrote: »
    Iruka wrote: »

What the fuck is up with Vermont?

Also, eww @ not showering at least once a day. me I shower 1-4 times a day, but I'm a personal hygiene freak

I think Vt. has an disproportionate number of people who live off the grid and don't have running water. Lots of hippies and Grizzly Adams types.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Nothing wrong with showering every day, but if you shampoo your hair every day you're probably doing it more harm than good.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    vsove wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with showering every day, but if you shampoo your hair every day you're probably doing it more harm than good.

I think that's an old wives tale. I used to believe it, so my hair was greasy. Now I shampoo every day and it looks much better.

CelestialBadger on
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    To the OP: You're asking a question that I don't think you'll get many honest answers to.

Put it this way: I think most people, if asked, will say that they shower every day, brush their teeth twice a day, floss regularly, and always wash their hands after using the bathroom.

Now, hang out in a stall in a public restroom for, say, 15 minutes and count the number of people who actually wash their hands on leaving. Or ask a dentist how often people REALLY floss. :)

I do shower at least once a day (sometimes twice in hot weather), brush my teeth twice a day, and always wash my hands after using the bathroom, but I'll admit to not flossing regularly. There :P

Everyone I have ever lived with (i.e. my family, friends and a great many random roommates) has always showered/bathed at least once a day. I agree that everyone may not need to but I think many people just like to feel clean, and a morning shower is a great way to start the day.

Also, I have very fine hair that, when it gets greasy, goes very clumpy very quickly. I wash it every day. I've heard over the years how it's not supposed to be any good for your hair and I've tried to wash it less often - but I feel so horribly uncomfortable the second day! And with a shower you might as well just wash it as it tends to get wet anyway. I've tried different shampoos and I've hit on one that washes out easily and doesn't leave a residue, and I'm always careful to use just a tiny amount. I've never noticed a change in the quality of my hair over the years, so I'll just continue to wash it every day.

Janson on
  • darthmixdarthmix Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I can't even imagine having time to shampoo my hair every day.

But I have to shower every day or I just feel completely unfit to face the world. I realize that's probably in my head, but it would take years of therapy to get it out. The only time I leave the house without showering is when I'm going straight to the gym, and then of course I shower there when I'm done.

darthmix on
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I have shoulder-length hair, and I can shower and wash my hair in fewer than ten minutes.

The problem is I think many people use far too much shampoo. You really only need a very small amount to work up a decent enough lather. Lush's shampoo bars are also good for ensuring you don't use too much. Fine hair doesn't work well with too much shampoo, anyway. A medium size bottle will last me maybe 5-6 months.

I spend maybe a minute rubbing it really well into the scalp and then several minutes making sure it's thoroughly rinsed. Towel-dry it and then leave it to dry naturally. Even with semi-long hair it'll be dry only about an hour later, and I've never had any company I work for complain at me for having wet hair for the first half hour.

Janson on
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »

I think Vt. has an disproportionate number of people who live off the grid and don't have running water. Lots of hippies and Grizzly Adams types.

Why would they have internet access, but no running water?

Rent on
  • RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Rent wrote: »
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »

Why would they have internet access, but no running water?

It's not like the two are dependent on one another.

RUNN1NGMAN on