As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hates, Hopes, and Happy Holidays

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Forar wrote: »
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Was he keeping divine plea up? He says he was but it doesn't sound like he knew how to roll it.

Noob-75 Prot Paladin... "roll it"?

You do mean use it, or is there some mechanic to it that I'm somehow missing? Isn't it just like 15 sec of mana regen on a 1 minute cooldown? I use it all the time on my paladin, but I admit he hasn't gotten a whole pile of attention lately either.

There is a talent that when you melee a mob it will reset the Divine Plea buff's timer back to 15 seconds, so you can in theory keep it up as long as you can melee something.

This leads me to a HATE: Pugged a random on my shaman last night, got a prot pally tank and a mage from the same guild (I forget what server, i think Gul'dan). Prot pally didn't know how to keep Plea up and took FOREVER to tank HoS. I think I was in there for nearly 40 minutes for the full clear. He was slow to do everything and his mage friend was not much more helpful, only DPSing on every other pull. It turned out the paladin was trying to dual box the mage and tank and hadn't a clue how to do both well.

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Rolling it is a talent I guess.

Edit: Beaten!

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Was he keeping divine plea up? He says he was but it doesn't sound like he knew how to roll it.

You do mean use it, or is there some mechanic to it that I'm somehow missing? Isn't it just like 15 sec of mana regen on a 1 minute cooldown? I use it all the time on my paladin, but I admit he hasn't gotten a whole pile of attention lately either.

A deep talent in prot causes Divine Plea to refresh everytime you hit something with a melee attack.

Nobody on
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

Yeah, there's a deep Prot talent that when you perform a melee attack on a target, it resets the duration to 15 seconds. As Naphtali and Gnutson have said before me.

And yes, I love that game. Big breaks in instances like Novos in DTK really screw with it unfortunately. Though I did once run a Divine Plea from just after Novos all the way to the end of the instance, which made me happy.

Short breaks are much worse, Violet Hold. Just enough time between Portals that Plea *will* fall off, but they come fast enough that you're using a lot of mana usually, so frequently it's on cooldown and not running.

CoS is one of the easiest to keep Divine Plea up in, especially the first half. I fucking *hate* it when DPS runs ahead of me and kills zombies right before I can get a swing off on them.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    ... this is what happens when you try to play like 5 classes at once while levelling. Small but important details get lost in the shuffle. >.<

Thanks guys!

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Dranyth wrote: »

Yeah, there's a deep Prot talent that when you perform a melee attack on a target, it resets the duration to 15 seconds. As Naphtali and Gnutson have said before me.

And yes, I love that game. Big breaks in instances like Novos in DTK really screw with it unfortunately. Though I did once run a Divine Plea from just after Novos all the way to the end of the instance, which made me happy.

Short breaks are much worse, Violet Hold. Just enough time between Portals that Plea *will* fall off, but they come fast enough that you're using a lot of mana usually, so frequently it's on cooldown and not running.

CoS is one of the easiest to keep Divine Plea up in, especially the first half. I fucking *hate* it when DPS runs ahead of me and kills zombies right before I can get a swing off on them.

In CoS I (usually) only need to hit Divine Plea twice outside of the Infinite Dragon flight area (once before the first pull at the front, and once before the first pull in the back), in there I need to hit it just about every spawn :x

As a side note, this is one reason why I really dislike the T10 4pc bonus.

Nobody on
  • Options
    GnutsonGnutson Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

More than once our tank has yelled "ASPECT OF THE DAZED NOW!!" trying to get to that next pull :P

I just keep telling them they need rocket boots.

Gnutson on
    Erai - Operative <--Imperial Double Agent--> Sniper - Eari
    SW:Tor - Tao - Kryatt Dragon Server
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Huh, just looked at the guy's spec and gear

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Perenolde&cn=Sonicus

His Defense is *really* high at 562, he still has one of the Brewfest trinkets. He's actually using a Prot Libram and his Strength is a little lower than my Pally's for some reason (my Pally is also using the Ret Libram that procs 200 strength on Corruption ticks, so that also helps my threat/damage).

He has Reckoning and Divinity for some reason, as well as Improved Hammer of Justice. This costs him 1 point in Deflection, and he has Benedition for 'mana issues' as well apparently. He lacks Vindication, Pursuit of Justice and probably most importantly, Crusade.

His Glyph choices are also a bit 'meh'. Hammer of the Righteous is a good one, but Shield of Righteousness and Hammer of Wrath are fairly bad. Not that the more 'proper' glyphs would really affect mana or damage/threat, well Glyph of Seal of Corruption would help with some Expertise I suppose, Divine Plea's glyph just helps with the incoming damage some.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Is there not a glyph for Divine Plea? Is that what allows it to roll?

I haven't done anything on my pally other than mine saronite for months :$

Gnutson on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Gnutson wrote: »

Well the glyph for Divine Plea gives us a 3% damage reduction while it's up, it's a talent that lets it roll.

The glyph is still pretty much considered mandatory for serious tanking.

Nobody on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Gnutson wrote: »

The Glyph for Divine Plea just reduces damage taken by 3% while Divine Plea is active. It's just more mitigation while you're rolling Plea like you should be anyway, via the talent.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Ah yes thanks. Knew he had it.. but hell if I could remember why :|

I remember hating VH though.. and looking for rats between pulls to keep it up.

Gnutson on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Huh, just looked at the guy's spec and gear

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Perenolde&cn=Sonicus

His Defense is *really* high at 562, he still has one of the Brewfest trinkets. He's actually using a Prot Libram and his Strength is a little lower than my Pally's for some reason (my Pally is also using the Ret Libram that procs 200 strength on Corruption ticks, so that also helps my threat/damage).

He has Reckoning and Divinity for some reason, as well as Improved Hammer of Justice. This costs him 1 point in Deflection, and he has Benedition for 'mana issues' as well apparently. He lacks Vindication, Pursuit of Justice and probably most importantly, Crusade.

His Glyph choices are also a bit 'meh'. Hammer of the Righteous is a good one, but Shield of Righteousness and Hammer of Wrath are fairly bad. Not that the more 'proper' glyphs would really affect mana or damage/threat, well Glyph of Seal of Corruption would help with some Expertise I suppose, Divine Plea's glyph just helps with the incoming damage some.

His spec is terrible.

Divinity? Reckoning?

He doesn't have 5/5 in the parry talent, has 2/2 in Spiritual Attunement, and managed to completely skip Touched By the Light

Nobody on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Well duh, when you're tying up 10 points in Divinity and Reckoning, you don't have time for that!

I meant to point out the 2/2 Spiritual Attunement. But as I mentioned in my story, he deliberately took the time to link it to me, so I could've guessed from that act alone that he had 2/2 in it, seeing as he apparently thought it was pretty important.

Touched by the Light is fairly useless actually, doesn't it *just* improve healing power? Who cares about that as the tank?

I still have it in my spec, but looking at it, I'm just not sure why...

Dranyth on
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Well duh, when you're tying up 10 points in Divinity and Reckoning, you don't have time for that!

I meant to point out the 2/2 Spiritual Attunement. But as I mentioned in my story, he deliberately took the time to link it to me, so I could've guessed from that act alone that he had 2/2 in it, seeing as he apparently thought it was pretty important.

Touched by the Light is fairly useless actually, doesn't it *just* improve healing power? Who cares about that as the tank?

The +20/30/60% of your Strength as Spellpower, ergo more threat?

Dunxco on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Wowhead wrote:
    Increases your spell power by an amount equal to 60% of your Strength and increases the amount healed by your critical heals by 30%.

Source

So the critical heals portion doesn't matter much, but it is increasing your damage and therefore your threat.

Nobody on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Nobody wrote: »

Wowhead wrote:
    Increases your spell power by an amount equal to 60% of your Strength and increases the amount healed by your critical heals by 30%.

Source

So the critical heals portion doesn't matter much, but it is increasing your damage and therefore your threat.

Yeah, this is why pally tanks don't stack SP anymore.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Nobody wrote: »

Wowhead wrote:

Source

Yeah, this is why pally tanks don't stack SP anymore.

Well while leveling they aren't given much choice in the matter. "Oh you wear plate, where here is some spell power. What you aren't a healer well at least it is plate armor."

Seg on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, BC is kind of screwy in that regard now.

Anything that isn't SP plate is Str/Stam/Agi

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Ahhh, right right. I kind of skimmed the description when I was looking at it just a bit ago (at work), I could've sworn it said *just* healing power. I should've known I had it for a good reason though.

But yeah, that would be another thing that would definitely make a difference between his DPS and my Pally's then.

And yes, that was the talent that used to be part of your Stamina, but it got out of hand too quickly with Stamina stacking and all so they switched it to Strength.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Well, that and some specs using it for healing.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Regardless, the guy has some bad talent choices, outright mana conserving talents and glyphs, and was bitching about running out of mana, so he switched to Seal of Wisdom and then couldn't hold aggro very well until he switched back. And he was doing Consecrate every cooldown even on single targets, then he was bitching about me to not tell him how to tank.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    AeytherAeyther Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hate: When people don't know a fight and just don't say anything.

My guildies and I decided to run 10 man VoA yesterday and we picked up a DK tank as a PuG, with me and another guildie as heals. On Korolon, the dk tank would Run Away when Korolon did his Meteor Fists and our MT would eat it like it was the thur night special. After a wipe (or two, I forget) the ele shaman asked if he could take over as heals and I said sure (he was doing 2.5k dps) so we switched and he with a combo of our MT following the OT (along with my 4.5k dps) got us the win.

So either the OT didn't know the fight and ran away or was being silly.

Huh?/Whew: On Emalon, dbm didn't show the second overcharge so half the dps didn't get to the mob in time, I turned around cause I thought he should've overcharged one by now and saw the 8 charge turn to 9 with 100k left. I hit dispersion, took the 2500 hit and ran to the corner and popped shadowmeld. So I survived a somewhat nuclear blast and didn't have to rebuff for the next try. (I will always keep an eye on the mob from now on)

Aeyther on
  • Options
    Coconut MonkeyCoconut Monkey Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I had a pally tank with no points in spiritual attunement once. I doubt he knew how to roll divine please and conserve mana either, because he was drinking every pull. Ugh.

Coconut Monkey on
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Finally: After hundreds of emblems turning into dozens of gems turning into thousands of gold turning into 5 Primordial Saronite, Obtained [Sandals of Consecration]. (Equipped).

Blurgh: After spending so much gold, I couldn't afford to put two epic gems in them right away.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hate
    Hate
    hate
    Hate

Voa I know I am tired but there is no excuse when you are assigned to heal the OFF TANK you forget which it was

I get into heroic UP the Blue drake drops I roll like shit {what a surprise} the death knight who was tanking gets pissed he lost and wipes us
    The instance reset and the healer left
    Fuck this I am going to bed

Brainleech on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Damn. You certainly got stuck with a group of winners there.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Kind of hate/Ahahaha: Battered Hilt drops in PoS last night on one of the earliest trash mobs. My friend wins it on his DK, and the Druid healer starts to complain. We figure it's just good natured whining, so we move on our merry way. I notice my HP keep dipping below 10k (I have roughly 42k buffed with Luck of the Draw), and keep getting nervous at the last second.

We manage to make it out without any wipes, and only one death (Balance Druid friend in the cave. Despite us always saying "DON'T TOUCH", she touched a mob and got splattered. She's normally an above-average to exceptional player, so I'm willing to overlook a flub), and overall it's a fairly good run, even with Tyrannus flinging me when there's ONE ice patch, and he didn't wanna cooperate enough to let me get my back to it first.

So we start rolling (though I failed to roll need on the Ribcage, because I shoved my Ret set into the bank and forgot I have a BLUE chest...), and bullshitting about it being a good run. We're all in good spirits, then the Druid complains again.
    We laugh, but then he starts getting mean.
    "I hate you guys."
    "Ahahaha"
    "Fuck you guys."
    So I ask "Wait, seriously, you're actually still mad?"
    "Yeah."
    So he gives us some shit about "have fun walking back"(Or I could leave the dungeon to Dalaran...?), throws a fit, and when I tell him to stop acting like a child, says he's 15 (I wouldn't brag, kid), before dropping group.

Kind of happy/kind of sad: My friend gave the Balance druid the hilt. She gave his Paladin the hilt, so it was only fair, and I DID insist she take it. I really wanted the sword, but I'd feel bad if I took it.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    FUCK ME!

I now officially understand the hatred for Old Kingdom. On regular with my 73 DK, we wiped like 5 fucking times on the final boss. Apparently 485 defense and 14k hp buffed is somehow bad while levelling? I know it's not anything awe inspiring, but it's not like I'm wearing greens of the bear here.

DPS was a giant pile of shit for the whole run, and the healer was fucking useless.

So we get new members. DPS goes up, healer is a tree that claims healing me is like healing a mage. Right. I've healed this shit more times than I care to count across all 4 healing alts. I'd be happy to have a character with actual tanking gear on, 'cause half the time they're retards with spirit gem'd or some shit.

Then the warrior asks to tank, and the druid starts bitching and bails. So we get a new healer, who starts talking shit about how much easier they are to heal (they were there for a prior run) and I'm just... what? Fuck you all!

afk, flipping off a box of kittens.

Forar on
  • Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    How dare you treat kittens in such a way.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    FUCK ME!

I now officially understand the hatred for Old Kingdom. On regular with my 73 DK, we wiped like 5 fucking times on the final boss...

The final boss? I've been in shitty groups that have struggled with Jedoga (as in, >10 wipes), but I've never seen a wipe on the last boss o_O

exis on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    And now I'm back in there and the healer is apparently eating, needs to go to feed their kid, and is too lazy to move on the platforms before the second boss to get LoS, and I'm a bad tank for telling them that they should just move into LoS then.

Well, they wanted to skip to the final boss as fast as possible. Hope waiting for another tank doesn't set them back too far on that timeline.

God damn, it's like all the good luck I've had with PuGs over the last few weeks has built up some kind of Silly Goose karma, leading to a giant pile of fail.

I just want to get to 74 and get away from some of this crap, but I'm sure I'll be seeing OK for a few more levels yet.

Forar on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Hate: [strike]Fucking dumbass[/strike] silly goose tanks and their healer [strike]bitch[/strike] silly goose friends.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Thrall&cn=Lykensh
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Thrall&cn=Xxshammy

Add these [strike]fuckers[/strike] silly geese to your ignore list if you're on Stormstrike battlegroup.
    Got into VH as dps. The tank went afk to use the bathroom after we'd already started the thing, so I had to tank the first pull. Then, he would just sit there after dudes spawned and not do anything for a few seconds, so I or the ret pally frequently had aggro for the first few seconds of most pulls. After the second boss, he got even worse. When the groups of dudes came out of the portals, he just stood there in the center as the split, so me and the pally to round them up, and his healer friend started bitching at the priest for pulling aggro. Then the tank bitched at us for attacking the mobs. He was like
    tank:"Don't hit the mobs while i'm chillin in the center."
    me:"They were coming out to rape the priest cause you weren't doing anything."
    tank:"you ever hear of tank pull?"
    me:"But you weren't pulling!"

So when the last boss came, he just didn't do anything and went and stomped the priest. I pulled it off the priest when he was at about 100 hp, and the healer just didn't heal me while the tank didn't do anything. He only picked it up after I died. Then he stopped so the ret pallies dot ticks pulled aggro and again he and the healer just let him die. So they 3 manned it while we sat there and he bragged about letting us die because we were bitches.

No, you were a [strike]retarded asshole[/strike] silly goose.

At least I got dps gloves off the last boss.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    afk, flipping off a box of kittens.

The correct response is actually to punch a baby.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    quaigyquaigy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Happy: Cleared the new wing in ICC 10. Got a new OH and a gun.

quaigy on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Well my days off changed so tomorrow or Monday I am going to start a run for Malygos but if no one has the key I have to go to naxx
    part of does not want to be an ass to make sure whomever wins the key does not run off by taking it for myself

I also enjoy the Dc fest my modem has at times

Brainleech on
  • Options
    QuantumQuarkQuantumQuark Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Well my days off changed so tomorrow or Monday I am going to start a run for Malygos but if no one has the key I have to go to naxx
    part of does not want to be an ass to make sure whomever wins the key does not run off by taking it for myself

I also enjoy the Dc fest my modem has at times

If you're leading the raid for the purpose of getting the key I think it should go straight to you either way.

QuantumQuark on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So I'm doing Underbog on my Death Knight and we wipe before the hunter boss because someone was an idiot. Only the healer and myself ran back, so we teabagged the DPS, then killed the last two bosses ourselves while the lazy shits whined.

Best random run ever.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Happy: I've had some really good luck with instance drops lately. Got the tanking trinket on my first run of ToC yesterday, as well as upgraded pants and gloves (an upgrade off each boss!). Then I won Ony's head on my first run of Ony10 tonight. And on my first run of Pit of Saron tonight I picked up Tyrannical Beheader. Tanking set is coming along very nicely :D

exis on
  • Options
    quaigyquaigy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Holy shit: Joined a random ICC 25 pug on a whim. Got 3 items out of 4 bosses, including a mark of sanctification. That's 5 new items in two days, woo !

Hate: Have to regem pretty much all my gear according to my spreadsheet. It shows a 500+ dps increase by doing so, though.

quaigy on
This discussion has been closed.