As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[LOTRO] 1/21 - 1/25 Free Return Weekend

• Simon MoonSimon Moon Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Crit heals are generally the difference between minstrels having to spam BC and being able to throw in buffs or group heals, so, yeah, it can make a pretty big difference.

Simon Moon on
    Steam: simon moon
  • Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    For any here with PvMP interests it looks like the fight has finally returned to the Moors. While I was on last night freeps pretty consistently controlled three or four keeps and may well have taken all five after I logged.

Mirkwood pretty well killed the action while freeps were leveling up to 65 and acquiring new gear. Yesterday was the first mostly-blue map I've seen since the expansion launched.

Drake Chambers on
  • CreepyCreepy Tucson, AzRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    One thing I really like about the Skirmish system is that it did allow me to buy the Putrid Slime of Helchgam for 2600 marks. Thing is always on the AH on Gladden, same 2 guys listing it for 8-10g. They won't budge. AFAIK no one even goes to that dungeon anymore and my Kin is basically me an another guy at this point.

It was much easier to get the marks over a few weeks of casual play than try to save up 10g.

Creepy on
    Live: Broichan

PSN: Broichan
    edited January 2010
    Interestingly enough, if you were to grind out cash optimally, it would probably take you about 5 hours of killing mobs to make 10g. Whereas if you were grinding marks optimally, it would take you about 7 and a half hours to get enough for the Putrid Slime. Moreover, you can grind out the mobs all at once, if you care to. Grinding the skirmishes has to take place over a couple days, since the optimal mark return includes the bonus for the daily quests.

But grinding skirmishes is more fun (for most people) than grinding mobs, which makes me think that someone at Turbine veeeeeeeeeeeeeery carefully analyzed player habits and preferences, worked up a reasonable model of player utility, and then finely balanced that cost to a T.

Simon Moon on
    edited January 2010
    I don't think I've ever made 2g an hour. I'm not ruling out that I might not know where I'd have to grind to make 2g an hour, though.

If my guy has 5g and rent is paid up then he's living high on the hog.

Creepy on

edited January 2010
    I was doing tier 1, solo, 74% marks, Defense of Prancing Pony and Thievery and Mischief both 1x or 2x per day.

At 74% the fights rarely get hairy, you can pull the extra named mobs in between your other pulls and my warrior didn't die real quick like he did on the even leveled skirms.

Creepy on

• SnowblindvictimSnowblindvictim Flying casual Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm taking this class on Communication and Technology in school and we're going to be playing this game.
    Is it any good?

Snowblindvictim on
  • BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm taking this class on Communication and Technology in school and we're going to be playing this game.
    Is it any good?

No, it's terrible :P

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Aldo wrote: »
    My opinion on Warden legendary items

+++=awesome
    ++=ok-ish
    +=could be worse
    ---=useless shit

Warden legacies are bullocks.

For instances:

Weapon
    +++Spear toss range
    ++ WoS parry rating
    + EoB/WC threat up (I mean, it's not completely useless)
    + damage to Fierce Resolve
    + Onslaught damage
    + Mighty blow damage
    ---Everything else. Piercing Strike and Spear of Virtue are utterly useless and youre a fool if you use them for generating aggro.

Javelin
    +++ Conviction +healing
    +++ Restoration +healing
    +++ Dark before the Dawn +power restored
    +++ Celebration of Skill
    ++ ICPR of conservation
    ++ Safeguard +healing
    --- bugger everything else.

For solo play you don't need conviction that badly, but the +healing ones are still awesome, because you're never going to do dps and surviving fights against 6 mobs, elite masters and solo'ing Sword Halls is where it's at.

So basically:

Weapon
    +++Spear toss range
    ++ Onslaught damage
    ++ Mighty blow damage

Javeling
    +++ Restoration +healing
    +++ Dark before the Dawn +power restored
    +++ Celebration of Skill
    ++ ICPR of conservation
    ++ Safeguard +healing

Just wanted to say cheers Aldo, I found this particularly useful. Last night a 2nd Age Warden Javelin dropped for me and I wanted to research legacies before I did anything with it -- randomly checked this thread and hey-presto. 8-)

Grenn on
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Is it any good?

Wait what?

That sounds like a pretty interesting class.

One thing I have noticed about LOTRO is the sheer amounts of RPers, at least on Landroval. All the extra fluff in the game really appeals to the RP market it seems. The whole "outfits" concept (which is great and should be picked up by other games) the music making component, the crafting, housing and furniture, not to mention a ton of emotes.

better community and you dont see alot of names like BONERLORD or SLASHYURASS

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Is it any good?
    Huh, what's the goal of the course? I really like LOTRO, but I'm trying to figure out why a teacher would pick this game above either bigger MMOs or MMOs that are more open with their communicating to players?

Aldo on
  • AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Is it any good?
    Huh, what's the goal of the course? I really like LOTRO, but I'm trying to figure out why a teacher would pick this game above either bigger MMOs or MMOs that are more open with their communicating to players?

If said course picked WoW I can imagine the final report:
    hEy Mr., WoW was enlitenin and wii gut a lot of knowhow. tha 1st thing is l00t is gud. 2nd thing is dks faceroll. thrid thing is Barruns chat iz intellijent.

i like l00t becuz i g3t stronger than noobs who can't dps, so i dps more then them. its not there game, they shud play Carebares online, lolz.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
    edited January 2010
    I like being able to twink my alts out in purple single use recipe gear. Just made a bunch of level 20 gear for my burgler and had a few crits on those recipes without using the damn books.

taking a break on my 56 champ right now, she's all chopping crap up in the mines but I felt like skilling up my alts. loremaster is sitting at level 33, my hunter is at 31, my rune guy is in her mid 20s with my minstrel and warden at 20 and 18 respectively. now its burgle time.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    edited January 2010
    D: the 6 guys and gals in my kin who were fanatic about raiding all just left to join a kin that was getting ready for their first runs. With them they took a few crafted 2A weapons and due to their leaving we won't be able to raid BG...unless we find other people who can make the time investment.

I'd be pissed about this, but I don't have time to raid anyway.

Aldo on
    edited January 2010
    D: the 6 guys and gals in my kin who were fanatic about raiding all just left to join a kin that was getting ready for their first runs. With them they took a few crafted 2A weapons and due to their leaving we won't be able to raid BG...unless we find other people who can make the time investment.

are we in the same kin?

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    edited January 2010
    darkmayo wrote: »

are we in the same kin?

GoN on [En] Evernight? If so, awkwaaard

Aldo on
    edited January 2010

are we in the same kin?

GoN on [En] Evernight? If so, awkwaaard

nope, Barrovian Society on Landroval (lots of members just not so many active)

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This must be an annual thing because my birthday is coming up and this free weekend always seems to fall right around then, its like a present from them every year.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    My sub just dropped 3 days ago so I think it's just because they didn't want me to leave.

Scooter on
  • HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I would be playing this game more but I'm a huge Star Trek nerd and open betas are free.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2010
    nope, Barrovian Society on Landroval (lots of members just not so many active)
    Ah, is it quiet again? We've got 40-ish members with about 6 (so 12 before this diaspora) every night in my kin, I don't think BS ever sported such numbers. :?

Aldo on
    edited January 2010
    admittably I only have two of my 8 characters in BS, and I have been playing my alts alot lately so some times could be quite busy but I wouldnt see.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I keep intending to logon, but FF11 has my attention again for a short while.

KiTA on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I think BS is easily one of the oldest Kinships in LOTRO. Heh, I think it started before release when they let people who pre-ordered get in the game several days early. Members may come and go but the Kin is forever. :P

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    edited January 2010
    Oy.

10 gig download after the initial 1 gig download.

12 hours to go.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Logged in on Bryngarth momentarily, first time in about six months I think. Had about seven quests removed "due to versioning" which I guess means they got updated with Mirkwood.

I'm level 40, and as I recall from the last time I played, I'm not really sure where I should go. I have a bunch of fellowship quests for places like Evendim or Dol Dinen I wasn't going to be able solo back then, so I guess I need to move to a new area.

Which I guess means Angmar or Forochel?

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
    edited January 2010
    At level 40, your best options are Southern Angmar (Ram Duath and Aughaire), Southwestern Misty Mountains (Gloin's Camp), and that spot in the Trollshaws whose name I always forget. Echad Candelleth? Forochel is doable at 40, but you'll be fighting level 44 mobs, so I usually wait to go out there until I've cleaned out the aforementioned other areas.

There's also always skirmishing your way through a couple levels.

Simon Moon on
  • JohanFlickJohanFlick Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Corvus wrote: »
    Logged in on Bryngarth momentarily, first time in about six months I think. Had about seven quests removed "due to versioning" which I guess means they got updated with Mirkwood.

I'm level 40, and as I recall from the last time I played, I'm not really sure where I should go. I have a bunch of fellowship quests for places like Evendim or Dol Dinen I wasn't going to be able solo back then, so I guess I need to move to a new area.

Which I guess means Angmar or Forochel?

If you haven't been to Angmar, then you should try it. I hate the zone, but it should be easy at 40. You could also try Misty Mountains. Once it gets boring, head to Forochel. At 45-46, you should do Volume II starting quests to get your first legendary items.

Also, try skirmishes. They give decent XP, and can be a good change of pace distraction. Also, you can use skirmish marks to but items for class quests, and relatively easily get your legendary traits. Just make sure that your skirmish soldier has similar level to your level. Until you level your soldier, try lower level skirmishes levels.

One more change you might like is in the class books. You can now buy all three books from your class vendor and they increased drop rate for the book pages. Should be much easier to get all the pages now.

JohanFlick on
    edited January 2010
    Welp the turbine manager has completely crapped out on me and refuses to start. The download has hung and I can't do a thing about it for now.

Time to start the download all over again using the direct download method from the website.

Sadness.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
    edited January 2010
    The direct download is way easier anyway. <_<>_>

Aldo on
    edited January 2010
    Thanks guys. And yeah, the download manager is a pile of crap.

Corvus on
    edited January 2010
    Honestly, they really need to get rid of the TDM. I've never heard anyone have anything but trouble with it.

Simon Moon on
    edited January 2010
    Ugh, I'm so sick of the North Downs. All the quests I have left are either group quests that no one is doing, or are on the other side of the mountains from Esteldin. Why isn't there a back door? It would make it so much less tedious.

Can I go to Evendim at level 33?

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
    edited January 2010
    Behemoth wrote: »
    Ugh, I'm so sick of the North Downs. All the quests I have left are either group quests that no one is doing, or are on the other side of the mountains from Esteldin. Why isn't there a back door? It would make it so much less tedious.

There is a back door. Go through Esteldin up the hill to the right of the area with the crafting hall.

And you can indeed head to Evendim at 33. Any quest that doesn't involve crossing the Everswim should be doable at 33, I think. There are some quests down in the south end of Evendim in Oatbarton that are probably green by now, as I think they start at level 28, but may still be worth doing.

Simon Moon on
    edited January 2010
    Simon Moon wrote: »
    Behemoth wrote: »

There is a back door. Go through Esteldin up the hill to the right of the area with the crafting hall.

And you can indeed head to Evendim at 33. Any quest that doesn't involve crossing the Everswim should be doable at 33, I think. There are some quests down in the south end of Evendim in Oatbarton that are probably green by now, as I think they start at level 28, but may still be worth doing.

Really? *smacks forehead*

Ah well. I'll go over to Evendim, it looks like a more interesting area.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
    edited January 2010
    North Downs defiantely needs some tweaking. I hate that fucking zone.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    edited January 2010
    Well, it's next on the overhaul list, so hopefully the next major update.

Simon Moon on
    edited January 2010
    Apparently I was kicked from the Kinship?

KiTA on
    edited January 2010
    Glornt wrote: »
    1. Things like hides, ores, gems, wood, and farmed goods generally stack to 100 (up from 50 pre-MoM). Potions stack to 50, I assume scrolls do as well, but I've never had enough to test that out (ditto with foods). Usable weapons and armours do not stack at all; for non-usable ones (e.g., torn hats), see trash items. Most trash items stack to 10, except possibly some that were crafting components before SoM (torn intestine, etc.). One thing I miss is my WoW addon that would add info -- including stack size -- to item tooltips.

2. Thanks to severe alt-itis and the even dumber server hopping (I'm determined now to stick with Landroval), my biggest guy is only lvl 29, so I'm not much help with this.

3. I'd like this as well. The only thing I can say here is if you're in your low-mid 20s, don't let some passing goofball drag you into trying to 2-man the Great Barrows -- we wiped on the very first encounter, although I think we did manage to kill one of the spiders.

4. I think there's a general impression that most RKs tend to focus more on DPSing and are therefore not as good at healing. It may also be due to the fact that RKs are more HoT than burst healing, and thus need to be more pro-active than reactive, so a minnie can probably afford to be a little more sloppy than an RK when it comes to healing -- while there should be no problem with a competent RK healing, a so-so minnie is probably going to be more successful than a so-so RK in a healing role.

5. The items you make may not be needed at endgame, but there are some very nice items that can help while levelling (especially once you achieve mastery at a given level and can create crit items), as well as getting some easy early quest xp (not sure if there are any higher level crafting quests apart from working on crafting guild rep), plus you can collect a few more titles to impress friends and relatives. There may also be an opportunity to profit in the AH with crit items, although so far I've only used the AH to sell materials, which can be obtained and treated with the collecting professions. If in doubt, go explorer. My lineup is this:

Champ - Weaponsmith
    Guard - Metalsmith
    Warden - Tailor
    LM - Jeweller
    Cap - Farmer
    RK - Scholar
    Hunter - Woodworker
    Minnie - Cook
    Burg - (Explorer, not using his tailoring)

Captain got farming by default. It was either him or the Burglar, and I couldn't see a burglar doing all that sowing and reaping...

So I'm confused. What actual vocations did you go with? LM is Tinkerer, for example, but... Or does that not matter?

KiTA on
    edited January 2010
    Well, I managed to make my way back to Angmar.

I think logging in again reminded me of something that bothered me while I played the game, it seems like pretty much everyone is soloing all the time outside of doing specific fellowship quests, or that's the impression I got in my time playing the game. I don't think I ever once really had the situation happen that was so common in City of Heroes where you'd get a full group of people together and just have fun fighting together and doing whatever missions you had to hand. Seemed like teams would form for one or two missions, and then everyone would go their separate ways immediately.

Maybe it's just that I seem to be in a spot where I've got quests that are either too easy or fellowship required, and quests that seem like they may be on the edge of what I can get done successfully by myself. I never had much success fighting enemies much more than a level or two above mine, and the quests I picked up in Angmar are requiring higher level foes than that.

Corvus on
This discussion has been closed.