As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

How often do you bathe?

• Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited January 2010
    I shower and wash my hair every day- raised that way, I assumed it was the norm. Figured the list of people who did not were limited to the really poor, rednecks, hermits, hippies, and/or slobs. Apparently I'm wrong on that account, but I'd still probably feel like a slob if I stopped showering every day.

I'm nervous enough in my social interactions that I don't need to be asking myself "I wonder if this person thinks I smell like a farm" on top of it.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Iruka wrote: »
    I thought this chart on OKC was pretty interesting:
    ScreenHunter_01%20Jan.%2023%2012.43.jpg

shows the climate/humidity bias pretty clearly. I shower everyday, but I like to shower. I'm also from North Carolina, and even though I'm In MD now its habit. I do seem to shower far more often than my roomates, who will go for a few days without showering. One of them, however, will wash her hair quickly in the sink almost daily. I'm not sure what this saves her, but maybe that appeals to you?

this chart is hilarious to me, as NH (where i live) and VT are practically the same climate wise and yet people in VT shower considerably less
    anyways yes i too am cursed with greasy hair, but i have found a small tip
    i only use shampoo/conditioner on alternating days, on the other day i just wash it with water and no products
    this saves money on that stuff and i find just rinsing with water removes most if not all oils, just no nice smell

Local H Jay on
  • zhen_roguezhen_rogue Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I shower every morning, because i'm in a really bad fucking mood if I don't get my 15 minutes of hot hydrotherapy to start my day.
    It's part of my ritual to "get up", having a nice hot shower and a shave.

Also, I don't like that 'greasy hair' feeling that sometimes comes with not washing my hair daily.
    Also also, I'm married and would like to remain as non-offensive as possible to my mate for life.

zhen_rogue on
  • rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Daily, hair and body. Sometimes twice if I nap.

rfalias on
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    lol that some people think it's soo offensive to not shower every day, as if deodorant doesn't even exist.

I do wash my hair every day, it would seem weird to get in the shower and not wash it since it's the main reason I take showers - to de-grease. Can you really just rinse your hair without shampooing it to get the grease out? then I'd feel gross drying it, wiping rinsed but unwashed hair on my nice clean towel... but if it means I'd get less greasy in the long-term I'm all for trying.

DiscoZombie on
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Not everyone needs to shower everyday, some people can go every other day. which kind of person you are is really up to you. When I wake up in the morning my hair is everywhere and the only way to style it into something human is to wet and dry it, so I shower everyday. My sister has incredibly well behaved hair that she can brush and go in the morning so she showers every other day.

VisionOfClarity on
  • kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Dirt, grime and sweat accrue.in every pore of your body, not just your armpits. Not showering every day is gross, though you can do hair every other day.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    lol that some people think it's soo offensive to not shower every day, as if deodorant doesn't even exist.

I do wash my hair every day, it would seem weird to get in the shower and not wash it since it's the main reason I take showers - to de-grease. Can you really just rinse your hair without shampooing it to get the grease out? then I'd feel gross drying it, wiping rinsed but unwashed hair on my nice clean towel... but if it means I'd get less greasy in the long-term I'm all for trying.

If you're using a shitty shampoo then that could be making your hair worse.

VisionOfClarity on
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, really depends on the weather, your activity level and your job...also, I like to shower in the mornings because I've just spent all night tossing and turning in a sometimes rather warm bed! Sheets are a little less easier to change every day than your clothes are, and you sweat a lot at night.

Janson on
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I don't think I've met many people who don't shower everyday, even though probably most of us could get away with doing every other day without stinking it up too much.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Zeguna wrote: »
    I feel so terrible if I don't shower every day.

Same. I'm a 1-2 showers per day kinda guy.
    The ONLY time I don't shower is if I'm sick.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • exmelloexmello Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I sweat a lot in my sleep. If I sleep in and don't have time to shower I feel terribly self-conscious. It's not even a BO thing, I just feel sticky and gross.

I also get terrible bedhead that brushing doesn't fix. I feel like the shower resets my roots or something.

exmello on
  • BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    vsove wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with showering every day, but if you shampoo your hair every day you're probably doing it more harm than good.

I think that's an old wives tale. I used to believe it, so my hair was greasy. Now I shampoo every day and it looks much better.

If you have greasy hair, the best (as in, most commonly successful) strategy is to shampoo every day. But everyone's different, and some people find that shampooing less may help those glands from releasing too much oil, as they may relax. It's very personal. I've heard that scalp massage has helped people (and, even if it doesn't, you should totally try one because it's awesome), even.

As a rule of thumb, and maybe this is gross to some people, but I groom, daily, expecting to have sex later in the night. Even if I know it won't happen because, well, you never know. I only shampoo every 2-3 days, though.

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Some of you guys are insane.
    People who don't shower every single day aren't gross, and definitely don't all smell bad.
    Of course, I personally don't sweat a lot and I don't produce a lot of BO. Also, I have super-dry skin which gets damaged in showers, especially during winter.

This said, the chart thrown around in this thread confuses me. I'd have thought showering every other day would be the standart.

Djiem on
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Daily. Sometimes a bonus shower after work if I'm going out that evening.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'll occasionally skip on weekends if I'm not going out anywhere and have been in the pool.

Saying that as I live with my girlfriend she would never appreciate if I smelled.

Before that occasionally in winter I might skip one day. But really a nice warm shower does wonders to warm you up (conversely a cold one does the opposite pretty well too)

Blake T on
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I generally shower 6 out of 7 days in the winter, and at least once a day during the summertime. Of course, if we're doing something grimy at work, or if I work out, or if I feel crappy or have a headache, I'll definitely pop in the shower or bath again in the evening just to clean up and feel better.

Usagi on
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I shower once before bed (washing my hair) and once in the morning to help me wake up (not washing my hair this time). I wash my hair before bed because sleeping on it helps it to lay down.

Also, don't use conditioner unless it's something you actually need. I don't remember the last time I used it. I guess it really only gets it when I go get my hair cut. On top of that, buy some nice shampoo. Shit like Suave will just make your hair nasty.

Esh on
    edited January 2010
    mully wrote: »
    6 out of 7 days a week. Brush teeth twice a day, too. (Though, once on Saturday and once on Sunday unless I'm feeling particularly mouth-gross /or going out somewhere.)

Even if no one is around to smell your breath, you've still got food particles and shit that need brushed out. That stuff builds up.

Esh on
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Esh wrote: »
    6 out of 7 days a week. Brush teeth twice a day, too. (Though, once on Saturday and once on Sunday unless I'm feeling particularly mouth-gross /or going out somewhere.)

Even if no one is around to smell your breath, you've still got food particles and shit that need brushed out. That stuff builds up.

Yes, while I think people in this thread are going overboard with the showering, you can never brush your teeth too much. Shit builds up in there.

Djiem on
  • DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I shower once before bed (washing my hair) and once in the morning to help me wake up (not washing my hair this time). I wash my hair before bed because sleeping on it helps it to lay down.

Which is weird because I used to do that and in the morning my hair would end up in the most bizarre of angles as a result. Huh.

Every other day is fine for showering (although sometimes I will skimp if I know I'm not going out for the weekend, but that's it really). You can get specific shampoos and conditioners for hair types, oily being one of them. Agreeing with Aldo back on page 1 though: If I planned to have a shower on Thursday night and Saturday night, but was going out Friday night, I'd sneak a quick shower in before going out on Friday.

Dunxco on
    edited January 2010
    Dunxco wrote: »

Which is weird because I used to do that and in the morning my hair would end up in the most bizarre of angles as a result. Huh.

Every other day is fine for showering (although sometimes I will skimp if I know I'm not going out for the weekend, but that's it really). You can get specific shampoos and conditioners for hair types, oily being one of them. Agreeing with Aldo back on page 1 though: If I planned to have a shower on Thursday night and Saturday night, but was going out Friday night, I'd sneak a quick shower in before going out on Friday.

I have pretty fine hair, so even if it does get wacky, I can just get it slightly wet and it'll lay right back down. Without product though, if I wash my hair in the morning, it's "poofier" than I like.

Esh on
  • AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I shower daily. I usually like to take evening showers so my hair is clean when I wake up, and I don't have to wash it in the morning, wait until my hair is dry (couple hours. Blowdrying it will kill my hair even more), and then straighten it (I have very unruly curls). I still wake up and wash my body in the morning though. That shit's mandatory for me. So yeah, 420 showerin' erryday.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Janson wrote: »
    I have shoulder-length hair, and I can shower and wash my hair in fewer than ten minutes.

The problem is I think many people use far too much shampoo. You really only need a very small amount to work up a decent enough lather. Lush's shampoo bars are also good for ensuring you don't use too much. Fine hair doesn't work well with too much shampoo, anyway. A medium size bottle will last me maybe 5-6 months.

I spend maybe a minute rubbing it really well into the scalp and then several minutes making sure it's thoroughly rinsed. Towel-dry it and then leave it to dry naturally. Even with semi-long hair it'll be dry only about an hour later, and I've never had any company I work for complain at me for having wet hair for the first half hour.

This really, really depends on how thick your hair is. When mine was a couple of feet long and super thick, morning showers to wash my hair were absolutely out of the question as it takes about 4 hours to dry on anything but the hottest of summer days. Also I would use two giant handfuls of shampoo. One on the scalp and after I got the most out of that another for the length. It used to take about 15 minutes alone just to do this. Now that it's shoulder length I can get away with one fairly large handful, but I cannot build up a lather with only a little shampoo.

Wetting my hair without washing it would just lead to dirt building up and tangling though. I would just put it up in a tight bun and since my shower detaches from the wall it never needed to touch my hair. Also I always liked my hair better on day 2. The first day it was usually really fluffy. The second day it was shiny and manageable. Third day was when it'd get greasy.

So like all things, it depends on the individual. Not everyone can or should wash their hair every day. Not everyone can reasonably wash their hair in the morning and expect it to be dry by the time they get to work.

Asiina on
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I did mention in an earlier post that I have very fine hair, and that followed on from that - someone asked how it was even possible to shampoo it every day, and I explained how it's possible for me. I should've made it clearer that I don't expect it to apply to everyone.

Janson on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    I have to bathe every day or else my hair gets super greasy. And not-washing the hair doesn't fix the grease cycle or anything. I also just have really fine hair.

Although I really don't spend time drying it - a once over with the towel, then I just comb it straight back in a slick, and then when my hair dries out it naturally fluffs out.

FyreWulff on
    edited January 2010
    It's a common myth that if you're not getting lots of suds when lathering that you're not using enough shampoo. The nicer shampoos barely lather at all. If you're using a cheap shampoo and slathering it on because you're feeling like it's not sudsy enough, you're just using way too much and greasing the shit out of your hair.

Esh on
  • MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I shower every day, but only use shampoo every other day. I don't like the texture my hair gets with constant shampooing.

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I switch up how often I shower. Sometimes its every day and sometimes every other day when my parents bring up the water bill.

Hair though? Well, I'm Black and Puerto Rican so my hair texture is probably different compared to the rest of y'all in this thread. I wash my hair about once a week or every other week depending on the style of it. If I wash it everyday, I'd go bald. My hair still smells good after a week too. It'd be a bitch to blow dry it every day and curl it. The heat damage, oi!

Mim on
  • nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    While I'm certainly not trying to force my personal habits on anyone, I think it's quite odd that people are insulting others or implying there is something wrong with showering daily.
    Even if YOU don't, there is certainly NOTHING WRONG with cleaning yourself daily.

This isn't 600 A.D.
    Being clean is not a bad thing at all.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Djiem wrote: »

Yes, while I think people in this thread are going overboard with the showering, you can never brush your teeth too much. Shit builds up in there.

Well, strictly speaking, if you brush teeth too much, or with too much force, you can damage them. Twice a day with a soft brush is not too much though. In the morning to remove morning breath, in the evening to remove the stuff that built up over the day.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If I didn't shower daily, not only would I feel fucking gross (not saying people who don't shower every day are gross. It's just how I physically feel if I don't), but since my hair is really thick and really curly naturally it gets super oily if I don't shampoo every day. Is it bad for my hair? So far I've seen no negatives, but that's just me. People differ.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Every other day is acceptable for me, but I gotta wash my hair every day. If I'm going someplace other than like the grocery store then I will take a shower no matter if I took one the day before or not, otherwise I'll put on a hat and wait until tomorrow.

nuka on
    DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    At least twice a day. Once when I get up and once before I go to bed. Maybe inbetween if I'm doing something particularly sweaty.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    When I get out of bed, when I get home from work, and before I go to sleep. So, three times a day most days. I always wash my hair after work, because it gets greasy at work (not as bad as it did when I was a diesel mechanic, but still gross), if I'm on holidays I usually wash it every second day, or after I go to the beach or pool. And my hair is usually between 1/4 & 1/2 inch long.

I am pretty picky about personal hygiene though, as I tend to get quite sweaty.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I shower every morning, or in the afternoon if I've been doing smelly barn work.
    No more, but sometimes less, if I ain't doing anything but sitting in my own stink homeworking.

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • SamSam Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm annoyed at having to shower every day. Isn't it considered weird in most parts of the world to shower every day? Isn't that mostly a US thing?

What's up with Americans asking astounding questions like "is the sky blue in the outside world?"

short answer- no. stop being lazy and clean off those bacterial city-states.

Sam on
  • WildEEPWildEEP Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'll be totally honest - I shower twice a day.
    I'm not someone who obsesses about being clean, its just what I do for personal maintenance.

There isnt an exact science on how many skin cells you shed or what makes your pores pump out more sebum (skin oil) than someone else. This is something you learn about yourself and your own body. Body awareness is such a wierdly underated skill. You should know how you feel and what that feeling means.

If your hair feels oily, if your skin looks or feels slimy, then go shower. If your mouth feels gross, tounge is dry - go brush your teeth and gargle some scope. Its not rocket science, but some people really don't get it.

WildEEP on
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sam wrote: »
    I'm annoyed at having to shower every day. Isn't it considered weird in most parts of the world to shower every day? Isn't that mostly a US thing?

What's up with Americans asking astounding questions like "is the sky blue in the outside world?"

short answer- no. stop being lazy and clean off those bacterial city-states.

I like how you assume the whole world shares your opinions, and that Americans are stupid, and at the same time try to make it sound like I'm the closed minded one O_o If you read more than the OP you'd see that not everyone does think the earth will explode if you don't shower every day.

DiscoZombie on
  • FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    There is a huge difference between BATHING and SHOWERING. Due to me being a poor, poor student I'm trying to save some water which means I have to cut back on the luxury of bathing. If my hair is greasy in the morning (which is more often than note the case because I have long hair), I just shower my head/armpits and be done with it. Thus, I don't see the problem in not washing your entire body every day. Every third day should also be fine. *shrugs*

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.