As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Aliens vs Predator vs Bill Paxton vs Sexual Tyrannosaurus

Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
edited December 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
There is quite a lenghtly discussion thread about the Aliens vs Predator series of games over in G+T. I thought we needed a thread dedicated to just the movies, what include

- Alien
- Aliens
- Alien 3
- Alien Ressurection
- Predator
- Predator 2
- Aliens vs Predator
- Aliens vs Predator: Requiem

Discussion of the games can be found here http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=106090

Sorry for the breif opening post but I'm sure this thread will be filled with discussion soon. So, get on it :P

tf2_sig.png
Hotlead Junkie on

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    We already have a "bad movies" thread.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    We already have a "bad movies" thread.

This one is mainly for the discussion of this perticular series. Sure a few are bad but a majority are great. Plus if no-one is interested in this thread it will simply drop off the first page anyway.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    jdarksun wrote: »
    I firmly state that AvP and AvP:R are not "bad movies."

AvP has grown on me, but I went into AvP:R expecting nothing and was still dissapointed. I really can't think of any redeeming features of that movie aside from the kid dying.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I did not enjoy AvP. I have not seen its sequel.

The rest of the films are good except for Alien: Resurrection.

japan on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    japan wrote: »
    I did not enjoy AvP. I have not seen its sequel.

The rest of the films are good except for Alien: Resurrection.

I watched Resurrection a few days ago, it's just too crammed with squick to be enjoyable viewing. Arguably the best part of the movie was Ron Pearlman shooting the spider. Cracks me up every time

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This is how I rank those movies;

Aliens -> Alien -> Predator -> Alien 3 -> Predator II -> and then the rest and they're all bad.

I pray to the movie gods that Alien 5 will be directed by Ridley Scott and will finally turn the downwards slope of the franchise around. I heard something about a prequel in the works?

Oh, and I just realized we have not had a proper Alien movie in over 13 years. (the AvP shit does not count here) And we haven't got a good Alien movie in something like 23 years.

What the hell, movie industry, what the hell

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I think the thing that bugs me about Resurrection is that it doesn't have any of the suspenseful horror atmosphere of the previous films. It's just generic action movie with violence.

japan on
  • Options
    JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    There is quite a lenghtly discussion thread about the Aliens vs Predator series of games over in G+T. I thought we needed a thread dedicated to just the movies, what include

- Alien
    - Aliens
    - Alien 3
    - Predator
    - Predator 2

Fixed.

Jeedan on
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Something that sort of bugged me as well. The predator helmet is bullet proof for the most part isn't it? I mean, wasn't there a scene where someone tried shooting it in one of the movies and the bullet bounced off the helmet? If that's the case, how the hell does one of the alien stabby mouths go through it in AvP?

Gonmun on
    desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'm still trying to figure out the best time frame for a sequel/prequel movie.

I'm assuming Weaver won't be interested after doing 4 movies, but I could be wrong, and there wern't any reports of xenomorph activity aside from the times Ripley got involved, but there obviously could be coverups.

The company obviously knew about the boneship on LV426 after it was revealed in Aliens that Burke sent newt's family to those exact grid co-ordinates to investigate. Most likley LV426 was set up specifically to be a research station for the xenomorphs unbeknownst to the colonists.

As far as the movies go, the only evidence of the xenomorphs was the boneship, but was the boneship destroyed along with the colony? It doesn't make much sense that the company was so desperate to get ahold of Ripley in Alien 3 and Resurrection if there were still eggs/aliens on LV426. They could of probably gone down in the time Ripley was in cryosleep/dead and got some specimins, but maybe prefered to get ahold of Ripley as to avoid the whole horrible death factor that would most likley come to pass if they went to LV426 themselves. But then again she DID have a queen inside her, but they probably didn't know that.

So, if the boneship was not destroyed (I forget how big the explosion was), there is a chance they could of gotten some eggs in Ripley's down-time and there could be a 'prequel' set inbetween the movies I guess.

A sequel would most likley involve earth, maybe another situation like in AvP where the predator activates the temple since there were apparentley aliens on earth anyway, so I'm imagining a sequel, set maybe a century after Ressurection where a temple gets activated and a team of badass marines gets sent in to take a look. Maybe a cross between Aliens and AvP?

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Gonmun wrote: »
    Something that sort of bugged me as well. The predator helmet is bullet proof for the most part isn't it? I mean, wasn't there a scene where someone tried shooting it in one of the movies and the bullet bounced off the helmet? If that's the case, how the hell does one of the alien stabby mouths go through it in AvP?

I'm sure all the Predators are pretty uniqe since they seem to wear different armours and have different trophies and weapons. Maybe that mask wasn't the same model as the other masks.

Most likley it was just lazy writing.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I'm assuming Weaver won't be interested after doing 4 movies, but I could be wrong, and there wern't any reports of xenomorph activity aside from the times Ripley got involved, but there obviously could be coverups.

The company obviously knew about the boneship on LV426 after it was revealed in Aliens that Burke sent newt's family to those exact grid co-ordinates to investigate. Most likley LV426 was set up specifically to be a research station for the xenomorphs unbeknownst to the colonists.

As far as the movies go, the only evidence of the xenomorphs was the boneship, but was the boneship destroyed along with the colony? It doesn't make much sense that the company was so desperate to get ahold of Ripley in Alien 3 and Resurrection if there were still eggs/aliens on LV426. They could of probably gone down in the time Ripley was in cryosleep/dead and got some specimins, but maybe prefered to get ahold of Ripley as to avoid the whole horrible death factor that would most likley come to pass if they went to LV426 themselves. But then again she DID have a queen inside her, but they probably didn't know that.

So, if the boneship was not destroyed (I forget how big the explosion was), there is a chance they could of gotten some eggs in Ripley's down-time and there could be a 'prequel' set inbetween the movies I guess.

A sequel would most likley involve earth, maybe another situation like in AvP where the predator activates the temple since there were apparentley aliens on earth anyway, so I'm imagining a sequel, set maybe a century after Ressurection where a temple gets activated and a team of badass marines gets sent in to take a look. Maybe a cross between Aliens and AvP?
    Supposedly 5 is going to take place ~30 years before Alien. So if Ripley is in it, she's in it as a kid.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Supposedly 5 is going to take place ~30 years before Alien. So if Ripley is in it, she's in it as a kid.

Ah, that is a good point, I did forget that the android did know about the aliens before the ship landed on LV426. There is a good chance that there were other attempts to get eggs before they sent the Nostromo down there.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Questioning the size of the explosion? It's the origin of the "Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure." meme.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Questioning the size of the explosion? It's the origin of the "Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure." meme.

The suggestion by the team was to nuke the colony, but shortly thereafter it was discovered that the place was going to go critical anyway. It was still a huge explosion but it wasn't the 'nuke it from orbit' they intended.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Gonmun wrote: »

The "canon" reason for that is that apparently the Predators in AvP have shitty armour as they're basically kids.

Jeedan on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    Resurrection is the worst movie.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    GrudgeGrudge blessed is the mind too small for doubtRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Someone at Weyland-Yutani must have known about there being something special on LV426 even before Nostromo left Earth, since Ash was a late addition to the crew. So someone must definitely have been there before, and at least sent some kind of message back to earth about the nature of what was there. Why they sent a refinery ship rather than a military vessel or some kind of research team needs to be explained though.

So there is definitely room for a prequel, I just wish that they keep it in line with Alien, dark and suspenseful, with space flight being comparatively primitive. Alien is still one of my favorites when it comes to portraying space - it's huge, harsh, empty and hostile.

Edit: argh, too late, point already made

Grudge on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Scott was involved in the prequel last I checked, so we already know that it'll be the second best Alien movie. After Alien and before Aliens.

Honk on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I liked Alien a lot, but Aliens just barely tops it in my opinion

but then, they are quite different in tone

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'd go so far as to say that Alien and Aliens are in totally different genres.

Honk on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Honk wrote: »
    I'd go so far as to say that Alien and Aliens are in totally different genres.
    Sub-genres, yeah. Alien is suspense horror, Aliens is action horror.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    alien resurrection is a goddamned fantastic movie if you understand that it was directed by the dude who did Amelie and is for all intents and purposes a comedy

Typhoid Manny on
    from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I've never seen the horror in Aliens, it's a good action movie but it felt completely disconnected from the suspense of Alien. To me.

Honk on
  • Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Well it had a few tense moments

The sentry guns, and when they first discover the facility

and the beeping radars are the best

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I've never seen the horror in Aliens, it's a good action movie but it felt completely disconnected from the suspense of Alien. To me.

I'd say the cocoon nursery was pretty horrific.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010

i first saw it when i was like 10 or something and i had nightmares for weeks from the part where they found the lady or whatever right before the chestburster pops out.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    It's a good film and I like it, but I don't find it scary. More scary than, say Terminator, but far from the suspense of the first film.

Honk on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    also puttin' this out there: Aliens is the best action movie there is

Typhoid Manny on
  • Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Not sure if it has been mentioned yet, but there is a new Predator movie coming out this year. Its titled Predators

Waffles or whatever on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Aliens is like Resident Evil 4: some horror elements remain from the predecessor, but it's mostly balls to the wall action.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    new Predator movie coming out this year. Its titled Predators

directed by who

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    Fatboy RobertsFatboy Roberts Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The problem with Alien movies lies in calling them a "franchise" because that never should have happened. Franchises are for burger huts and Land Before Time movies. Really, there shouldn't have even been a third Alien movie. as evidenced by the bullshit opening that makes literally zero sense. It's only movie I own, that I can think of, that builds its entire story structure on top of a plot hole and goes from there. But even then - it was a pretty decent ending to that film series. Not franchise. Big difference. 3 was a decent end, tonally and spiritually, to that film series.

Fatboy Roberts on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    So, Topher Grace is in the new Predators movie?

And Danny Trejo?

I am confused already.

At least the plot seems basic enough and to the point;

A group of elite warriors are hunted by members of a merciless alien race known as Predators.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Zzulu wrote: »

directed by who

robert rodriguez

Typhoid Manny on
  • Options
    Fatboy RobertsFatboy Roberts Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    no. Nimrod Avtal. Rodriguez is only producing. He helped write the script as well, I believe.

Fatboy Roberts on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I haven't seen any of his movies

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Zzulu wrote: »

directed by who
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Predators is an upcoming 2010 science fiction, action and horror film directed by Nimród Antal, starring Adrien Brody, Topher Grace, Danny Trejo, Alice Braga and Derek Mears. The movie is a sequel to the 1987 classic action film Predator. Robert Rodriguez stated that he named the film "Predators" in relation to how the second film in the Alien franchise was called Aliens.

I'll see if I can find the stills that were released too.

Waffles or whatever on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    ahh

i stand corrected

Typhoid Manny on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited January 2010