As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super[chat]

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    Ah, I see. So Superman is more functional as a concept on a deeper level.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Honk wrote: »
    It's perplexing that Superman actually works as an adventure. The man is basically omnipotent, it's very strange that there can be any narrative at all. He must be the clumsiest superhero ever for anything interesting to ever happen.

That's what kryptonite is for.

Even that is totally perplexing.

Fly around, hear and see every bad guy on Earth and zap them with eye-lasers.

That he allows himself to be surprised by kryptonite - ever - is ridiculous.

LEAD!

The excuses are infinite.

His enemies are extremely incompetent, though.

Oh I found a big chunk of kryptonite. I'm going to leave it in a huge rock form and just sort of have it sit over there whilst tricking Superman to come close to it. Bullshit. Have that turned into bullets and shoot the motherfucker in the head.

moniker on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You're not in the God damn field, Organichu. YOU'RE IN A STORE.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    It's perplexing that Superman actually works as an adventure. The man is basically omnipotent, it's very strange that there can be any narrative at all. He must be the clumsiest superhero ever for anything interesting to ever happen.

A good Superman isn't so much about if he wins but the process along the way. You have a man who can safely compete with gods but is still ultimately [strike]human[/strike] super powered alien. A lot of the really great moments for him aren't man vs man stories but man vs self.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    yalborap wrote: »

That's why a lot of the best Superman stories either have him fighting some cosmic-level evil that he can just go all fucking out on, or explicitly have him holding back and struggling with the desire to do good, to keep his morality in check despite the firm ability to force everyone to listen to him if he wanted, and so on.

Why doesn't he put the whole world in a bottle?

Cinders on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    Alright, workout complete.

Next up: Sauna, hot tub, and pool, or video games?

Doc on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    I wish I still lived in Alaska.

Why?

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Doc wrote: »

Pool, then hot tub, then sauna, and finally, video games.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    216_4_054.jpg

I love this one.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Guys, what goes good with Gouda? I need some kind of cracker or similar snack, as well as a beverage.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    okay one last time

this video has colonel sanders kissing a woman in the mouth while jack in the box looks on in approval. Again slightly NSFW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFHtRDG4iwM

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I would say "Santa", because that's what I read the first time.

Also, yarg hungry. I forgot to buy stuff for breakfast this morning >.<

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010

Why?

I had life pretty good there. I wouldn't want to live there as an adult, though.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Why?

He misses Putin's reassuring gaze.

moniker on
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

h8

So It Goes on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2010
    You're not in the God damn field, Organichu. YOU'RE IN A STORE.

It doesn't have connotations of being in the field; it's entered popular vernacular as just 'to disassemble'.

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    okay one last time

this video has colonel sanders kissing a woman in the mouth while jack in the box looks on in approval. Again slightly NSFW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFHtRDG4iwM

I want to watch this, but it's 4 minutes long and I"m trying to keep up with [chat].

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Yes.

moniker on
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Guys, what goes good with Gouda? I need some kind of cracker or similar snack, as well as a beverage.

Apple slices!

So It Goes on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Ah, I see. So Superman is more functional as a concept on a deeper level.

Pretty much. It's easy to write a terrible Superman story. It's hard to write a good one but some of the good ones are great. And it gives Garth Ennis to write something great that doesn't involve male rape.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Cokebotle wrote: »

A good Superman isn't so much about if he wins but the process along the way. You have a man who can safely compete with gods but is still ultimately [strike]human[/strike] super powered alien. A lot of the really great moments for him aren't man vs man stories but man vs self.

Here's the thing.

Superman was raised from near-birth as human, and depending on canon, may not have even developed powers at all until his teenage years.

So his story is of one with very alien abilities struggling to keep his humanity and goodness when it would be so damn easy to just, as one story said, put the whole world in a bottle.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    If it's hard to write a good one that means the character sucks big cock.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    That video's from mightygodking, yeah? That's where I saw it at least.

Crimson King on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Here's the thing.

Superman was raised from near-birth as human, and depending on canon, may not have even developed powers at all until his teenage years.

So his story is of one with very alien abilities struggling to keep his humanity and goodness when it would be so damn easy to just, as one story said, put the whole world in a bottle.

Have you ever seen a glassblower work? That would not be easy at all.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    moniker wrote: »

Here's the thing.

Have you ever seen a glassblower work? That would not be damn easy at all.

Superman already has a city in bottle.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    Alright, pool, then hot tub, then sauna, then pool, then video games.

Doc on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Here's the thing.

Red Son, right? I think that was the most awesome Superman story ever written.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    216_4_054.jpg

I love this one.
    :lol: That's awesome. Superman could effortlessly fly faster than that. He's really just being a dick to Robin.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I was hoping this was Superbad themed

superbad-main.jpg

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    moniker wrote: »

Here's the thing.

Have you ever seen a glassblower work? That would not be damn easy at all.

Superman already has a city in bottle.

I thought they got out of the bottle.

Cinders on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    So It Goes wrote: »

Apple slices!

Apple slices, then.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    Watch, it ProfM!

Thank you, DUE>

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Richy wrote: »
    216_4_054.jpg

I love this one.
    :lol: That's awesome. Superman could effortlessly fly faster than that. He's really just being a dick to Robin.

Not only that but Batman has a car with a rocket engine!

They're both making Robin pedal for no reason!

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Apple slices!

Apple slices, then.

That sounds weird. You should just get some stale Ritz crackers, throw out the Gouda, and lay on slices of Kraft American cheese.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Richy wrote: »
    216_4_054.jpg

I love this one.

Not only that but Batman has a car with a rocket engine!

They're both making Robin pedal for no reason!

The reason is they are dicks.

Cinders on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Apple slices!

Apple slices, then.

That sounds weird. You should just get some stale Ritz crackers, throw out the Gouda, and lay on slices of Kraft American cheese.

You're good at engineering things that are awful as hell.

DUE, that video was great.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Apple slices!

Apple slices, then.

Kraft slices aren't actually cheese, they're cheese-product.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Guys, what you don't see is that Robin has a very strange relationship with Batman. One of those Sub/Dom relationships where the basis is humiliation and unrewarding effort. Robin loves being forced to pedal Batman and Superman in public like that. He is sweating as much from ecstasy as he is from physical exertion.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Man, I want to give ACIS a TV or Radio show or something. At first I thought he was kidding, but no... God no.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Guys, what you don't see is that Robin has a very strange relationship with Batman. One of those Sub/Dom relationships where the basis is humiliation and unrewarding effort. Robin loves being forced to pedal Batman and Superman in public like that. He is sweating as much from ecstasy as he is from physical exertion.

Why can't you just admit that you're gay?

JustinSane07 on
This discussion has been closed.