As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I have issues (Social AND Political)

GlipherGlipher Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Artist's Corner
In other words: Editorial Cartoons! Bad ones at that, but editorial cartoons nonetheless.

So, my high school requires seniors to complete a project for graduation and I chose editorial cartooning for mine. My goal is to get at least one of these published in a newspaper or some other sort of publication (Dunno how hard that'll be) but, before I can do that, I've gotta' work on improving my cartoons. That's where you guys come in! I'm currently being helped by a professional editorial cartoonist, but more sources of criticism should definitely help, as I'd like the opinions of more than one single person to see if I'm taking steps in the right direction or not.

I've been working on these since about August, with some pretty big lapses of motivation in-between pictures. I've got until April to get these done, at which point I need to have 12 pictures that are either inked and/or watercolored. I figure I may need to get this finished by March since I imagine I'll have to take a little time to get some published, but I don't really know too much about that right now. What matters right now is that I got to push to get as much done as I can in that timeframe, as well as make sure what I am doing is making my work progressively better, not worse. I want to improve, so that's why I'm here.

Some of this has to do with politics and social issues, but I suppose what matters most is that the point is easily gotten even by people that are not too engrossed in those subjects. Also, the art is of course important, but I'm trying to focus mostly on how to present an issue. So, yes, I'd like comments about the art and how to improve it, but that's a much further off goal. The goal is an effective editorial cartoon, which can be helped with good art, but can't be salvaged by it.

Updates will be kind of sporadic, but I'll try to have at least a few new pictures every week.

Side-note: My cartoonist friend has advised me to look at each cartoon as if it were a billboard on a highway, only to be seen for about 10 seconds by the average viewer. Part of making an effective point is to get to the heart of the subject, as well as to find the appropriate symbolism.

Enough with the text; here's pictures of my 10 most recent ones. I've spoilered the 15 before that that I have done, and I know it still loads. They are, however, not as reflective of where I am currently and where it seems I am going. Feel free to comment on them, though!

Oldest to new

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

Glipher on

• Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Glipher wrote: »
    25.jpg

that one made me laugh.

but most of these are pretty 'meh' and if you're going to post pencil work, you should probably push the levels a little further so they show up better. the meh factor may be from my hatred of how blatant editorial cartoons usually are though.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The Pat Robinson one was pretty funny....then again the scource material is pretty damn funny too.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    that one made me laugh.

but most of these are pretty 'meh' and if you're going to post pencil work, you should probably push the levels a little further so they show up better. the meh factor may be from my hatred of how blatant editorial cartoons usually are though.
    Thanks. I enjoyed making that one.

When I scanned those in, I didn't realize adding loads of contrast helped with visibility, so, yeah, I'm doing that with my pencil drawings now, though alternatively, I guess I could draw darker.

And, yeah. I know they are pretty "meh," regardless of your attitude toward editorial cartoons. I'm trying to think more intensively about different situations, but for a lot of them it's been "This seems like a good idea let's go."

I've often seen that point made about editorial cartoons and I kind of agree. There are varying levels of how effectively something can be blatantly said though, if that makes any sense. I hope to up my effectiveness in that.
    Mustang wrote:
    The Pat Robinson one was pretty funny....then again the scource material is pretty damn funny too.
    TV evangelists say the darndest things! Not that money-grubbing ex-governors from Alaska don't, but that's on a whole different level. Top half of that picture should be cut off, though.

Glipher on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Except for a couple, the jokes just seem really facile. They're just too easy. I liked the fishing one though. edit: the one about the small fisherman and the big fishing company

As far as the artwork, you should work on refining your forms and lines, because neither the action nor details are very clear in a lot of these.

Tam on
  • Options
    AwkAwk Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I dont understand the fisherman one, did the future fisherman catch a question mark?

Your stuff is pretty easy on the eyes for the most part.

Awk on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Tam wrote:
    Except for a couple, the jokes just seem really facile. They're just too easy.

Just like every newspaper comic.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    fair enough

if he wants to shoot low

Tam on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Awk wrote: »
    I dont understand the fisherman one, did the future fisherman catch a question mark?

Your stuff is pretty easy on the eyes for the most part.
    That one wasn't very well defined. It's about swordfish and how, due to overfishing, they've increasingly decreased in population as well in size. The second panel didn't show that very well, but I probably should of used a reference for that picture to better show it. Third panel is a fish of questionable size, of which that'll depend on what we do in the next 40 years, though it will probably end up skinnier.
    Tam wrote:
    fair enough

if he wants to shoot low
    Definitely not. If that's what I wanted, I wouldn't be here.

I realize you guys can't make my jokes/punchlines better, since a lot of that has to do with observational skills as well as sense of humor. Just to be pointed in the right direction, however, is a lot better than to continue wandering aimlessly on my own.

Will take more time to think about these, though it's not as easy as just saying I'll do it. I need to really immerse myself in this stuff in order to see past the bare minimum of jokes.

Will also take more time working on the artwork and using references. I'll see if I can come up with a thing or two in the next few days.

Glipher on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    instead of a question mark, i'd make it really really tiny
    because i thought it was a tube with something coming out of it.

beavotron on
  • Options
    GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I thought that was how fish would look in the future.

Awww... :cry:

Grenn on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    beavotron wrote: »
    instead of a question mark, i'd make it really really tiny
    because i thought it was a tube with something coming out of it.

yes, do this

or

just have him holding nothing, you get both shock and absurdity that way

you might also want to have some decline in the size of the fish from panel one to panel two
    Glipher wrote: »
    Tam wrote:
    fair enough

if he wants to shoot low
    Definitely not. If that's what I wanted, I wouldn't be here.

I realize you guys can't make my jokes/punchlines better, since a lot of that has to do with observational skills as well as sense of humor. Just to be pointed in the right direction, however, is a lot better than to continue wandering aimlessly on my own.

Will take more time to think about these, though it's not as easy as just saying I'll do it. I need to really immerse myself in this stuff in order to see past the bare minimum of jokes.

Will also take more time working on the artwork and using references. I'll see if I can come up with a thing or two in the next few days.

You should study jokes then: look at comics that are known for being funny and witty and try and see what makes them that way. Honestly, I know it must sound mean of me to say that your jokes are flat, but they're too obvious, or you give away too much in the setup, and the topical ones just sound like transcriptions of political opinions (the one with the redneck in armchair).

Tam on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited January 2010
    Plastic fish.

bombardier on
  • Options
    LaliluleloLalilulelo Richmond, VARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    OR, a box that says 'fish' on it.

Lalilulelo on
  • Options