As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hates, Hopes, and Happy Holidays

• PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I don't remember any white beams of death....

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The only time I've ever been killed by it was the first time I fought the boss, having not had DBM installed and had the rest of the group consistently ignoring me when I asked them to explain the fight.

Samphis on
  • ExistentialSoundandFuryExistentialSoundandFury Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I think they are referring to his Laser Barrage style attack a la Mimiron.

ExistentialSoundandFury on
    399831.jpg
  • NeylaNeyla Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Wowhead wrote:
    Finally, the Devourer will unleash a wail of souls. This is a 90 degree sweep of the room (either clockwise or counterclockwise) starting from a position selected at random. The wail starts about 3 seconds after casting it and will wail for 15 seconds. Anyone caught in the wail will take a very high amount of damage that ticks every 0.4 seconds.

Neyla on
    13142111181576.png
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    My problem with that beam is that dude is so fucked up looking, sometimes I can't tell if I'm at his ass or his head. That and he usually spins a bit just before unleashing it.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2010
    My problem with that beam is that dude is so fucked up looking, sometimes I can't tell if I'm at his ass or his head. That and he usually spins a bit just before unleashing it.

I'll second that, hard at times to tell the front from the back. I usually just try to stand on the side of him, not like its hard to outrun the attack if it comes towards you.

399831.jpg
    edited January 2010
    Fortunately, it doesn't come up if you're in a decent group. DPS him fast enough and he won't use it. It wasn't til the 3rd time I ran that that I found out he had it.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So, story time.

I ran a *bunch* of heroics last night on my Shaman trying to finish up his Resto gear before I start working on his Enhancement gear... why I decided this I have no idea. I get a random H PoS with a group that I think was all running together. They want to clear trash, I kind of complained a bit as we were clearing that I had easily done PoS 40+ times across all my characters and I've yet to see a hilt drop, so I don't really feel it's worth clearing all the trash.

The warrior tank goes afk partway in, while we're all in a patrol route. Mage gets nuked when the pat gets to us, but is the only one to die as we finish them off with mostly the DK and Warlock partly tanking. We continue clearing towards Ick, which I thought was odd and while we're doing the shamblers around Ick's area, the DK's axe breaks and he has to go repair. The tank also decides to go repair, so we're hanging around doing nothing for a bit. During the Ick fight, the Warlock gets Pursued and despite being at nearly full range and having plenty of time, decides to stay casting just one more spell. Then as he turns, he gets punted and dies. Otherwise we finish the fight.

Then we go around the rim over to Garfrost, so there went their trash clearing idea at least. First attempt on Garfrost, the tank *never* clears their aura debuff and is up around 30 by the time we wipe. So I mention that they do have to clear their debuff, and we go for the next attempt. I find that this group is *ridiculously* good at LoSing me around the rocks and while I have the Deep Freeze debuff counting down on me, I'm trying to get a couple of people healed up because Garfrost is close to dead. I eat the Deep Freeze and die, the Mage also dies and then Garfrost goes down. The neck piece I wanted for my Enhancement set drops which no one else really needs, so I Need on it and wait because someone hasn't rolled. I just don't want to release and be in ghost form when the roll finishes in case it fucks up or something. Tank *finally* greeds and I get the item, then I release and the Mage and I fly back while I comment that the geist ambush is going to be there now so it might be a bit tricky, get inside and start riding over.

The three that were left, still not healed from the end of the Garfrost fight, apparently ran over to the geist ambush because I see their HP getting lower and sure enough, start dying. They wipe and the Warlock asks "where was heals?". Uh, I was on my way back, jackass. The warlock makes a snide comment suggesting that I should've used my Reincarnate, (and I *know* he hadn't put Soul Stone on me). I hadn't because the fight was over and I had a feeling I might need it for an actual emergency. But that still doesn't excuse the fact that the three of them had *no* situational awareness to realize that, two party members weren't with them, not to mention that they were still all half-dead.

So *they* get back to where we're waiting now so we can buff and take out the geists, then we start on the ramp fights. Now, my Resto Shaman is pretty well geared at this point, I don't have Paladin levels of longevity, but I don't run out of mana all that quickly. On that first ramp group, I went nearly OoM by the end of it. Part of the problem the whole run was that the tank wasn't that good (despite having pretty good gear), so mobs were almost never under control, and the 3k+ DPS Mage and Lock were frequently pulling, and even the sub-2k DK was pulling aggro sometimes. I kept everyone up, but commented that it was insane that that pull actually ran me almost out of mana. Someone laughed about it and I told the tank to wait because they were already running up towards the next pull and sat and drank... though I was still only up to about 75% by the time the tank charged in. That pull went similarly and afterwards I had to drink again and was able to explain that it wasn't funny, everyone was taking way too much damage.

Then we do the two pulls before the ice cave, those are a little easier, but the pulls themselves are supposed to be, so that doesn't really surprise me. On the second one in particular, the mage and warlock each nearly died multiple times, and I make a comment to the effect that they were really really lucky. The warlock starts giving me shit and saying things like, "look, you're the healer, do your job", I don't get to reply because the tank heads into the cave. We get to the platform and they start killing things and aggro is all over the place, I still manage to keep everyone up and while I drink to get my mana back from that, I have time to comment that they're pretty damn lucky that I *am* doing my job.

We finished the instance and despite Tyrannus having two items I wanted for Enhancement, he drops *two* fucking Plate Chest Pieces, tank and DPS I think. I was just left thinking that it was the *worst* well-geared group I had ever been in. The crux of it was that the tank really wasn't very good, but the DPS wasn't accounting for it and going balls out anyway. Ugh. Worst healing job I think I've had.

Dranyth on
  • GnutsonGnutson Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I'll second that, hard at times to tell the front from the back. I usually just try to stand on the side of him, not like its hard to outrun the attack if it comes towards you.

a. I never have a clue what side is which with him. Even his sides look like his front and back.

b. I think people just get hit with it as it starts, because of a

Gnutson on
    Erai - Operative <--Imperial Double Agent--> Sniper - Eari
    SW:Tor - Tao - Kryatt Dragon Server
    edited January 2010
    Fortunately, it doesn't come up if you're in a decent group. DPS him fast enough and he won't use it. It wasn't til the 3rd time I ran that that I found out he had it.
    Oh ok, this must be my situation. Because even after the description, I still don't remember it.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • danxdanx Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Gnutson wrote: »

a. I never have a clue what side is which with him. Even his sides look like his front and back.

The person targeted by the beam gets aggro temporarily from the active face which will show on raid frames if enabled. If you have raid frames enabled to see who gains aggro on mobs run away from them. Makes it a bit easier. Note he maintains aggro on the tank so sometimes two will be lit up. It seems to follow you too when he's doing the initial cast just like mimirons does.

Not many people seem to understand any of the new bosses that well. Tyrannus is a headache as a healer if the tank gets frozen or if they're not sporting 40k hp and don't kite him when they get punted. Bronhjam usually takes ages because he heals from the souls. LOS'ing the ice debuff on Garfrost can be buggy but a lot of people I encounter just don't do it and god knows how many people die on Krick and Ick due to a) nova or b) failing on BBW style mechanic.

At this point in the expansion many puggers still don't understand most of the old boss mechanics so I've pretty much given up hope they'll learn the new ones.

danx on
  • Coconut MonkeyCoconut Monkey Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Happy:
    black_drake.jpg
    That was just a PuG too, apparently the raid leader tank runs 'em weekly for a chance at the drake. Took several wipes and a replacement DPS to get things right but I think it's safe to say it was well worth it.

My achievement spam was also rather amusing....
    heh_heh.jpg

Coconut Monkey on
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    danx wrote: »

The person targeted by the beam gets aggro temporarily from the active face which will show on raid frames if enabled. If you have raid frames enabled to see who gains aggro on mobs run away from them. Makes it a bit easier. Note he maintains aggro on the tank so sometimes two will be lit up. It seems to follow you too when he's doing the initial cast just like mimirons does.

Not many people seem to understand any of the new bosses that well. Tyrannus is a headache as a healer if the tank gets frozen or if they're not sporting 40k hp and don't kite him when they get punted. Bronhjam usually takes ages because he heals from the souls. LOS'ing the ice debuff on Garfrost can be buggy but a lot of people I encounter just don't do it and god knows how many people die on Krick and Ick due to a) nova or b) failing on BBW style mechanic.

At this point in the expansion many puggers still don't understand most of the old boss mechanics so I've pretty much given up hope they'll learn the new ones.

One thing I do as a healer (paladin) on Garfrost is just cleanse the debuff. For whatever reason, it's removable, and since most tanks aren't taking huge amounts of damage I just cleanse that whole fight. You can't completely beat it but it gives people much more time to los and wipe themselves clean.

edit: this makes it much easier to get the achievement, because you can definitely keep it off of the target number, i guess 12?

Langly on
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    riz wrote: »
    Meh.

If they set aside AOE tanking, I don't think I'll really want to tank anymore. I find it fun, even if it is "too mindless" or whatever. I don't care if all tanks have similar AOE abilities, that's only fair, but if every tank gets nerfed in that respect... Meh. What I first enjoyed about tanking was not tanking a single boss or managing CC, but getting the attention of a bunch of mobs, dragging them around a corner, and letting them attempt to beat the crap out of me while I dodged and deflected blows left and right and filled the air with gold sparklies.

Never done Heroic Shattered Halls with a warrior tank or something? No "tanking a single boss" about it.

Best thing about that place was how it crushed tank egos, too. Suddenly they aren't as good as they thought they were. But if you had a warrior who could tank it, you knew you had a good tank.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    danx wrote: »

Once I did the new bosses I pretty much understood their fights, and when I saw "Ick is pursuing you" I was like "Oh fuck" and ran away, just assuming that was a bad thing :p

What I don't understand is that fucking boss in hHoS. All I know is that people die to him a lot. And when I'm healing I try to keep hots up on everyone the entire fight, but they usually just get 1 shotted or some shit, and when i'm DPSing him I try to stay away from other people and just burn him down asap. I have no idea what kills me or others, or how it works. I know I could look it up, but I'm not going to do that, I'm just going to continue hating that boss, as it gives me another reason to have hHoS as my least favorite instance, closely followed by hCoS, which isn't hard it just takes too fucking long.. really 10min from zone in just to be able to attack something, fuck you blizzard. Just let us go talk to chromie again and be like "fuck the RP bitch lets kill us some zombies"

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
    edited January 2010
    Which boss are you referring to?

Gruul 2.0? or the last boss who has a lightning nova that stacks a vulnerability debuff?

399831.jpg
  • exisexis Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Eh: The end is in sight for me as far as gearing up through heroics. I never really intended to raid, and I'm getting to the point where I either need to start raiding, or stop improving my gear.

I was only supposed to be back for the seven day trial :?

exis on
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    exis wrote: »
    Eh: The end is in sight for me as far as gearing up through heroics. I never really intended to raid, and I'm getting to the point where I either need to start raiding, or stop improving my gear.

I was only supposed to be back for the seven day trial :?

you can just buy raid gear with all those oodles of badges you're getting from heroics.

Langly on
  • Thomase1984Thomase1984 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Happy: Ikfirus' was up on the AH for 12kg. Yoink!

Thomase1984 on
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm guessing he has all the t9 he can get.

But that's why he can work on t10!

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Happy: 22 levels to go.

Meh: Oh god, do you have any idea how many times I'm going to have to run shit like Nexus again but this time on Heroic?

So much time to spend in ToC (and the ICCs) normal, I imagine. Sooooo much time.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    edited January 2010
    End wrote: »
    I'm guessing he has all the t9 he can get.

But that's why he can work on t10!

Yeah I have two pieces of T9 to get, and like, a ring. Nothing else really stands out.

exis on
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Just curious, but how many frost emblems have you gotten?

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
    edited January 2010

Only 19. I don't see myself drastically improving that number either. I might have to just get comfortable with my current gear level. Or quit.

exis on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Only 19. I don't see myself drastically improving that number either. I might have to just get comfortable with my current gear level. Or quit.

Get a few more and trade them in for primordial saronite for sweet cash.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
    edited January 2010
    I don't know Tyrannus's mechanics. As DPS I just run away from him and the party when I get little lines going from him to me, and if there's something on DBM saying that the dragon or whatever is near me, I move. I don't know what any of the stuff does. Just work under the assumption that safe is better than sorry and run away like a little girl.

Also, on Ick.... is there any danger to continuing DPS (melee) on him if you're not the one being very slowly* chased?

*Seriously, how the fuck do some people get caught by him? It's not like the BBW where cutting corners can give him the chance to catch you because he's actually fast enough to do so.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2010
    Septus wrote: »

Get a few more and trade them in for primordial saronite for sweet cash.

I have nothing that I want to buy :P. Blessing and a curse, I guess. But mostly a blessing.

exis on
    edited January 2010
    Couldn't hurt to have the money to powerlevel your profession when Cat drops.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2010
    PierceNeck wrote: »
    Couldn't hurt to have the money to powerlevel your profession when Cat drops.

This is true. I'll probably keep running heroics anyhow until my sub expires next month. By then I should have decided whether I've had enough or am desperate for those sweet sweet raid purpz.

exis on
  • DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    People get caught by Ick because they're stupid, and/or lagging. I did get caught on my Mage once because I finished a cast, then turned and Blinked away from him. *After* I blinked, I died. Fuck you game.

Oh god I hate Warriors (and potentially druids I think?) on Tyrannus when I'm healing. The punt does a ton of damage as it is, then they INTERCEPT RIGHT BACK TO HIM to get smashed by his powered up attacks, gee, that seems like a good idea. Ugh.

Dranyth on
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So Scarlet Monastary Graveyard, we get into that area that has the 4 connected rooms and while fighting two things the Warlock spammed hellfire until they died, and then one of the other DPS pulled the two adjoining rooms.

Now as a healer in there I have no problems healing a warlock who damages themself to a reasonable level but killing yourself with Hellfire is just silly.

And I don't mind when all four rooms get pulled, but please let the tank do the pulling so I don't pick up aggro from healing 2 idiots + tank.

Seg on
  • SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Dranyth wrote: »
    People get caught by Ick because they're stupid, and/or lagging. I did get caught on my Mage once because I finished a cast, then turned and Blinked away from him. *After* I blinked, I died. Fuck you game.

Oh god I hate Warriors (and potentially druids I think?) on Tyrannus when I'm healing. The punt does a ton of damage as it is, then they INTERCEPT RIGHT BACK TO HIM to get smashed by his powered up attacks, gee, that seems like a good idea. Ugh.

I always do this. Gotta give the healer a run for his money/stress-induced heart failure or it wasn't a good run.

Senshi on
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Senshi wrote: »
    Dranyth wrote: »

I always do this. Gotta give the healer a run for his money/stress-induced heart failure or it wasn't a good run.

I remember in a heroic DTK the healer swearing at the tank, who was a guildmate, because the tank stayed in the black shit during the first few encounters.

Seg on
  • IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Happy: So I'm leveling another Priest (I <3 my class).... I caught a queue last night for Uldaman, lucky for us we had the best Paladin tank ever. And by best, I mean biggest prima donna asshat ever. He decides to run out of LoS and aggro 4 packs of mobs (with bonus silence!) while I'm drinking after his last "hey I'm a Paladin I'll just tank the entire room" pull. (Surprise, OOM doesn't mean "Out Of Mobs, go get more") So for the happy part: The jackass ends up wiping us, makes a huge fuss about how terrible we are, drops group, and we 4 man the rest of the run with a Voidwalker tanking. It actually went faster since I didn't have to drink after every pull.... >.>

Ishtaar on
    FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Thing is, with the current gear level, it pays off to ignore all the mechanics of 5-man heroics. The only encounters actually worth knowing how to tank properly are raids, and even Naxx10 is just a glorified 5-man these days.

I fact, I can imagine 5-manning Naxx would be an acceptable level of difficulty if you brought the right people. I've done the Spider Wing once with six people when we were all either drunk, tired, or both. It'd probably be quite fun, Military Quarter excluded.

Senshi on
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I wonder about Thaddius. Would doing 3x the required damage counter the lack of 5 extra people for the damage buff?

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
    edited January 2010
    Razuvious was the weekly on my server this week.
    We did it on 25 since we had some extra time. Even with some silliness dropping a few people, it was stupidly fast. The 2 tanked adds were dead from incidental aoe and tank dps when he dropped.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2010
    We just did a 6man Naxx10 without issue.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This weekend we downed OS 25 0 drakes with 12 people... nutso.

Jubal77 on
  • QuantumQuarkQuantumQuark Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I wonder about Thaddius. Would doing 3x the required damage counter the lack of 5 extra people for the damage buff?

We did Malygos for the weekly and I didn't see a single spark go down. We one-shotted him. Most of the "do this environmental thing for extra damage to beat the enrage" are unnecessary at this point.

On that note, Happy: The Spellweaver's Downfall. Ignore that I was doing 1800 DPS in my scabby Arms spec >.>

QuantumQuark on
This discussion has been closed.