As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

How often do you bathe?

• Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I shower every day, though occasionally skip one if I'm laying around by myself hung over or some such.
    Though that tends to lead to a double the next day (I typically shower in the morning only).
    I try to wash my hair only every other day though.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • PhistiPhisti Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    3-4 times a week (ie every second day) and after footy matches. Wash my hair every shower since it's every second day.

I have a friend who showers once or twice daily, but smells terrible. It's not necessarily about personally (ie. your body) being clean, but more about your daily cleanliness habits - he leaves his shit all over his house, piles of clothes etc. Keep your shit neatly folded, separating clean clothes from dirty, and you'll smell way better.

Phisti on
  • FelixSomethingSomethingFelixSomethingSomething Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I try to shower every day but it ends up being more like 5-6 times a week. If I haven't done anything strenuous that day it really doesn't matter. I have really long hair though and it's a pain to wash so I think I do that once a week, maybe 3 times in 2 weeks. I've figured out now when it'll start feeling or looking greasy so I wash just before then. I might just have really dry hair.

FelixSomethingSomething on
  • VeeVee Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I shower everydayand wash my hair every 3 days since it doesn't get greasy that fast.

If I'm just going to be bumming around the house then I'll skip a shower.

In the summer time I tend to take 2 showers (morning and mid-day/night) since it gets fucking hot and I start sweating as soon as I'm outta the shower. I HATE that! ugh.

Vee on
  • KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    Kazhiim wrote: »
    I don't understand this whole idea that showering is a difficult thing that you try to do. It takes anywhere between five and twenty minutes, depending on how much of a hurry you're in. You really don't have that much time to spare? WAKE UP EARLIER

I have time, but I'm really lazy and dragging my ass into the shower isn't my favorite thing to do

hope you like being a social pariah, then

1). Just because you don't smell yourself, doesn't mean you don't smell. I love the smell of my own farts. LOOOOOOVE them. But I know other people don't.

2). Just because you don't smell doesn't mean you're not filthy and covered in grossness. My housemate once took a month-old jar of prego, scraped the mold off of the rim, and used it in spaghetti. Of course he got sick. BUT THE MOLD WASN'T VISIBLE HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE you ask? Well, uh

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
    edited January 2010
    okay well I don't love them that much

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • iglidanteiglidante Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    How did mold end up on a month-old jar of spaghetti sauce? Was the fridge not working? I regularly use jars of sauce that have been in the fridge for four months. If it doesn't look funky, and a little taste doesn't drop me, I give it a try. So far, so good.

iglidante on
  • Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    1). Just because you don't smell yourself, doesn't mean you don't smell. I love the smell of my own farts. LOOOOOOVE them. But I know other people don't.

2). Just because you don't smell doesn't mean you're not filthy and covered in grossness. My housemate once took a month-old jar of prego, scraped the mold off of the rim, and used it in spaghetti. Of course he got sick. BUT THE MOLD WASN'T VISIBLE HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE you ask? Well, uh

Dude, a dude skipping a shower in no way equals the disgustingness of farts and moldy preggo. Obviously after a day or two the criticals will probably, upon closer examination, not smell so fresh. But for an average person on an average it's barely noticeable.

I mean, seriously... who wears a shirt once and washes it even if it's not dirty? It's the same concept. Well, not exactly the same. But it's close and that's good enough for me.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2010
    I kinda hope that the people who don't shower once a day also don't shit once a day, or at least use wet wipes.

Iruka on
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Iruka wrote: »
    I kinda hope that the people who don't shower once a day also don't shit once a day, or at least use wet wipes.

Also, they must never have sex unless it coincides with a 'shower day'

adytum on
  • the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Dude, a dude skipping a shower in no way equals the disgustingness of farts and moldy preggo. Obviously after a day or two the criticals will probably, upon closer examination, not smell so fresh. But for an average person on an average it's barely noticeable.

I mean, seriously... who wears a shirt once and washes it even if it's not dirty? It's the same concept. Well, not exactly the same. But it's close and that's good enough for me.

I only wear shirts once before I wash them.

Pants can be cycled through three times before washing, but only if they're hung back up or refolded. If they get thrown on the floor, they need to be re-washed.

The only thing I wear many times between washes is gym shorts, and that's only 'cause the funk keeps people away from me. Gives me ample room to work out.

the wook on
  • exmelloexmello Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    the wook wrote: »

I only wear shirts once before I wash them.

Pants can be cycled through three times before washing, but only if they're hung back up or refolded. If they get thrown on the floor, they need to be re-washed.

The only thing I wear many times between washes is gym shorts, and that's only 'cause the funk keeps people away from me. Gives me ample room to work out.

I'm pretty much the same with clothes. I thought I was the dirty one for wearing jeans multiple times. The thought of wearing a tshirt over and over just because it isn't visibly dirty is appalling to me though.

If I sleep in and have to rush to work without a shower, but very least I do is grab clean clothes so that I have something fresh against my skin. And wash my face and brush my teeth of course. Maybe even throw some water in my hair and brush it.

I thought all you Penny Arcaders were cool dudes. Now I'm getting visuals of the silly geese at college with their hair slicked down by greese and covered in zits and literal neckbeards. Tell me this isn't true please! My world is being shattered!

exmello on
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Ditto.

Shirts get stretched out after one wearing, plus I'm an athletic person with a high core temperature and metabolism, and tend to sweat just sitting around. If the temperature is warm and I'm outside I'll usually be drenched in sweat.

Jeans can go 2-3 wearings before they get too stretched out and no longer wear properly.

I shower at least once a day. Less (AKA once a day) when I had a shaved head because there was nothing to get greasy, at least once now that I've grown my hair out an inch on top. Twice on days I wake up with enough time in the morning before work, but at least once in the afternoon. Always after yoga or weightlifting or running.

adytum on
  • ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    There's a fucking lot of hyperbole going on in this thread.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited January 2010
    I mean, seriously... who wears a shirt once and washes it even if it's not dirty?

<raises hand>

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Not directed at anyone in particular, but what a society of OCD hypochondriacs we live in. I'm sorry if you reek after 1 day, but don't assume the rest of us do too. If I didn't have greasy hair, I'd only shower every 2 or 3 days, and I don't smell by that point unless I don't wear deodorant. My wife only showers every other day most of the time, and she doesn't reek either. And no, it's not just because I'm used to her scent - I know what a nasty smelling human smells like. We tell each other when we smell bad.

I didn't know what a can of worms I was opening when I started this thread O_o

DiscoZombie on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, at the very least I wear clean clothes every day. The only time I recycle a shirt before washing is if it's the weekend and I don't recoil in horror after putting my nose directly into it and breathe.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
    edited January 2010
    I will say

I've gone upwards of two months without picking out a new pair of jeans

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    i rewear jeans for forever

shirts less so

underwear must be changed always

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
    edited January 2010
    i rewear jeans for forever

shirts less so

underwear must be changed always

yeah

if i've worn a pair of underwear for more than an hour, the general rule is once it comes off, it doesn't go back on without washing

the wook on
    edited January 2010
    Not directed at anyone in particular, but what a society of OCD hypochondriacs we live in. I'm sorry if you reek after 1 day, but don't assume the rest of us do too. If I didn't have greasy hair, I'd only shower every 2 or 3 days, and I don't smell by that point unless I don't wear deodorant. My wife only showers every other day most of the time, and she doesn't reek either. And no, it's not just because I'm used to her scent - I know what a nasty smelling human smells like. We tell each other when we smell bad.

it's not just about smell, you know

it's about creating a clean living environment

i like to shower before bed so i don't take a day's worth of bacterial growth to bed with me

because i don't want there to be two days' worth of bacterial growth waiting for me when i go to bed the next night

i also wash my hands after i use the bathroom, despite them not having a distinct smell after the fact

the wook on
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

i like to shower before bed so i don't take a day's worth of bacterial growth to bed with me

because i don't want there to be two days' worth of bacterial growth waiting for me when i go to bed the next night

i also wash my hands after i use the bathroom, despite them not having a distinct smell after the fact

bacteria, fie! I'm sure the dust mites appreciate you making your skin nice and dry right before bed so it will flake off for feeding time when you hit the pillow. You cannot escape microorganisms.

The people who shower only every other day probably have twice the immunities of those who panic at the thought of skipping a day.

DiscoZombie on
    edited January 2010
    they're also doubly gross

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You very likely come in contact with people who have not washed for more than 24 hours every day of your life and never notice.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    Seriously. My wife also goes 2 to 3 days between showers, and I can't smell a thing.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
    edited January 2010
    I will say

I've gone upwards of two months without picking out a new pair of jeans

Oh man...I did that in college. Hell, I did that with all of my clothes in college. Maybe not two months, but often two weeks.

iglidante on
  • DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Yeah no kidding.

I wear my jeans for a week (at least) and my shirts 2 or 3 days (and I still have a lot of friends and I even have a girlfriend!).

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
    edited January 2010
    I used to have this one pair of jeans that were so worn, they always looked spotted and dirty. They were soft like velvet. Patched in at least four places. They disintegrated one day. They were good pants.

iglidante on
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I mean, seriously... who wears a shirt once and washes it even if it's not dirty?

<raises hand>
    Me too.

Jeans 2-3 days, trousers 2 days, jackets less often (unless I wear a sleeveless top and they come in contact with my armpits).

Honestly I just have a really super-strong sense of smell. I think our garbage stinks after two days (or one, depending what's been cooked) when we have our trash can under the sink with a firm lid on it.

I've had friends who smell and while I wouldn't want to be within a feet of them they've all had girlfriends or wives, so obviously some women don't mind their smell.

I've also seen a lot of people who shower daily but then put on the old, stale clothes they threw on their dirty floor the previous day...that smells far worse than a bit of sweat (which, when fresh, can smell pretty sweet if you're a regular person).

I'd say my husband and I were fairly unsweaty people, depending on the level of activity. However my husband once did return from work having built up a bit of a sweat, he'd showered that morning but worn yesterday's clothes and didn't wear deodorant and he did smell pretty unpleasant. Likewise, once, through no fault of my own (I was stranded at an airport and they didn't have any showers available for guest use) I was once stuck in the same clothes for three days - wasn't even able to have a hooker shower. I could certainly smell myself by the beginning of the third day and my hair looked dreadful (fortunately for the last leg of my flight I met up with my family and had them sit either side of me so I didn't subject any strangers to my stench).

I realise that I'm a bit of a freak, but just pointing out that some people CAN smell other people who've skipped a day without showering or who are wearing several days-old clothes, even if most can't.

I can also identify personal smells, like you could blindfold me and take me to a friend's house and I could tell you which friend by the smell. Not bad smells, mind you, just unique personal smells.

Janson on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Anyone who isn't in the Shower right now is a disgusting freak. I can't even stand the idea of someone walking around not in the Shower. Any normal human will begin to stink within 14 seconds of exiting a stream of water and within a day their stench will become overpowering, such that animals and small children will quail at their approach. Assuming we ignore the Holocaust (which is a great idea!), the Shower is clearly humanity's greatest invention. In fact, the only redeeming quality of the Holocaust might be the mass production of Showers that it occasioned. If our society had any sense at all we would make skipping the Shower a crime instead of stupid stuff like vehicular manslaughter.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited January 2010
    Just took a full shower (including shave and hair wash), 5 minutes, 33.2 seconds according to my iphone :)

Unknown User on
  • CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I shower daily, which includes soap on any location with hair and water on the rest.

CycloneRanger on
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So given this has become slightly more of a general shower/hygine related thread. Shaving everything makes it much cleaner, easier to wash, and fresher right or is this a piece of confirmation bias?

Leitner on
  • CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Leitner wrote: »
    So given this has become slightly more of a general shower/hygine related thread. Shaving everything makes it much cleaner, easier to wash, and fresher right or is this a piece of confirmation bias?
    I have generally observed that hair is indeed the enemy.

CycloneRanger on
    edited January 2010

bacteria, fie! I'm sure the dust mites appreciate you making your skin nice and dry right before bed so it will flake off for feeding time when you hit the pillow. You cannot escape microorganisms.

The people who shower only every other day probably have twice the immunities of those who panic at the thought of skipping a day.

and twice the allergies.

and I avoid the dust mites with a hypoallergenic mattress pad

the wook on
    edited January 2010

Dude, your shower head is home to festering colonies of bacteria. And, when you shower those nasties rain all over you.

Richard_Dastardly on
    edited January 2010

Dude, your shower head is home to festering colonies of bacteria. And, when you shower those nasties rain all over you.

hence, soap

and, you know, i clean my shower head on a fairly regular basis

the wook on
    edited January 2010
    Hence, you wash soap off with that same water.

And, unless you douse the shower head in bleach, I really doubt you're getting the bacteria. But, then I wash my dishes in the kitchen sink. And imagine how filthy that thing gets...

Richard_Dastardly on
    edited January 2010
    Hence, you wash soap off with that same water.

And, unless you douse the shower head in bleach, I really doubt you're getting the bacteria. But, then I wash my dishes in the kitchen sink. And imagine how filthy that thing gets...

soak, not douse

but yes

the wook on
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Man, and I thought I was hypocondriac and OCD.

I find it funny that a guy who wore the same jeans for weeks on end is disgusted at the idea of people skipping a shower every once in a while.

Djiem on