As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Politically Correct: Is It Correct, You Silly Goose?

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Kanamit wrote: »
    Khavall wrote: »
    and guess what, I am, but its because I have the right to be a crazy hillbilly, backwards American loon. And I would like to keep them. And my children (God Bless Their Souls if I have any) to keep those rights. But everyday we let someone tell us we can't say something because it will offend anyone that hasn't grown up and realise that you have opinions and rights too is a lost to your freedom.

I want you to give me any example of political correctness being enforced by the law.

Because people choosing to say things one way to avoid potentially offending anyone, or companies deciding to do so, is so far away from anyone even coming close to touching "Your rights" that the idea that they are in any way related, and that you have to be "worried" about that is laughable at best. You can feel free to say "Merry christmas" to anyone you want at any time you want. You can say anything you want as long as it isn't one of the few exceptions to the first amendment that are purely in place for a public safety concern(by the way, none of which have anything relating to PCness).

To put it another way, just because the only insult we can use on this forum is "Silly goose" doesn't mean our first amendment rights are being affected in any way, because it turns out that this forum isn't in fact the U.S. Government

"War on terror" vs. "Conflict on terror". Our government was too afraid to say that we are fighting a war that they demoted it to a conflict. Do you think it matters to a Marine who is fighting a "conflict" in Iraq against enemies who blow them up and we can't hold them for war crimes as we aren't at war? It might not be my rights in harm's way, but enemies are being released back to their homelands so they can kill more of our friend's and families.
    I hate to break it to you, but technically we haven't fought a war since WWII.

So what was Desert Storm? The Vietnam War? Politically Correct "conflicts". Because America doesn't want to say we ever lost a war.

...they were Police Actions because the President doesn't want to go before the Congress and be placed under more restrictive scrutiny which an actual declaration of war entails.

moniker on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    and guess what, I am, but its because I have the right to be a crazy hillbilly, backwards American loon. And I would like to keep them. And my children (God Bless Their Souls if I have any) to keep those rights. But everyday we let someone tell us we can't say something because it will offend anyone that hasn't grown up and realise that you have opinions and rights too is a lost to your freedom.

I want you to give me any example of political correctness being enforced by the law.

Because people choosing to say things one way to avoid potentially offending anyone, or companies deciding to do so, is so far away from anyone even coming close to touching "Your rights" that the idea that they are in any way related, and that you have to be "worried" about that is laughable at best. You can feel free to say "Merry christmas" to anyone you want at any time you want. You can say anything you want as long as it isn't one of the few exceptions to the first amendment that are purely in place for a public safety concern(by the way, none of which have anything relating to PCness).

To put it another way, just because the only insult we can use on this forum is "Silly goose" doesn't mean our first amendment rights are being affected in any way, because it turns out that this forum isn't in fact the U.S. Government

"War on terror" vs. "Conflict on terror". Our government was too afraid to say that we are fighting a war that they demoted it to a conflict. Do you think it matters to a Marine who is fighting a "conflict" in Iraq against enemies who blow them up and we can't hold them for war crimes as we aren't at war? It might not be my rights in harm's way, but enemies are being released back to their homelands so they can kill more of our friend's and families.

So what was Desert Storm? The Vietnam War? Politically Correct "conflicts". Because America doesn't want to say we ever lost a war.

O_o they always called 'em wars in my history classes. And you're not even ranting about PC here, you're ranting about doublespeak, which is an entirely different beast. If you want to have a thread about that, go start one.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Quid: Yes, I am, but it's my opinion on the growing focus of "being PC" in America. I live in a very conservative place and God forbid you say something that may offend a group of people who are nowhere to be found, but instead it's the white guy over there yelling at you for being such a racist.

Well maybe, just maybe, you should balls up, act like a gander, and ignore those people.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The Cat wrote: »
    You're. And I'm going to go ahead and maintain my opinion that most people's "basic good manners" is a small, immature minority's "political correctness stop oppressing me maaaaan".

There's basic good manners and then there's becoming a social pariah because you're not using the correct, PC terminology. It's getting so bad in places that people are identified as being featureless, genderless, colorless entities.
    This mystifies me. Leaving aside the clear hyperbole, you think there's something terrible about looking at people as people first? Do you not know any social history at all?

I look at people as people. People have skin and genders. I'm not a criminal to recognize these things.
    No one's called you a criminal, except for the crowd of fascinating characters in your head. But you don't just want to 'recognise' these things, you want to shout about them as if they matter more than any other feature of a person. That's dreadfully rude, but then you've been dreadfully rude all through this thread. I wouldn't be surprised if someone has called you on it before, but I guarantee it wasn't for the reason you think.

But whatever, you're clearly very invested in some kind of 'maverick' self-image as expressed through breaking minor social taboos. Good luck to you.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Also, I love that even you can't just insist that calling a black person black is a culturally neutral act. you have to go and call it a 'celebration'.

This thread is headed places, I tells ya.

Yeah, I should have expected this.

It ain't celebration, but I shouldn't be afraid to say my black friend is black (and no, I don't mean "you're such a black!" or any other thing like that, but identifying his skin color as being black) because it's considered non-PC. If you want to be PC, use it in politics. I'm not in politics, therefore I will not be PC. If you're old and fat, I'm not going to be afraid to say your old and fat.
    I've never heard anyone being called racist for just pointing out someone's ethnicity.

Do you actually have a black friend? Or do you just anxiously imagine up scenarios where you know someone black and you get called racist for calling them black?

Hoz on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Alright, I want to try something here. If you were to take the statement, "I have a friend who is black. His skin is hard to see at night," would you call it racist? I think we can all agree it's not PC, but is it racist?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    moniker wrote: »

...they were Police Actions because the President doesn't want to go before the Congress and be placed under more restrictive scrutiny which an actual declaration of war entails.

Also we won Desert Storm pretty goddamn definitively.

Also I'll say again that this has nothing to do with his original "point." He's obviously trying to troll by derailing the thread into something stupid. It's a bait-and-switch.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Apparently he has a black friend but gets called out by white people for calling them black.

Then this black friend remains mysteriously silent.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Quid wrote: »
    Quid: Yes, I am, but it's my opinion on the growing focus of "being PC" in America. I live in a very conservative place and God forbid you say something that may offend a group of people who are nowhere to be found, but instead it's the white guy over there yelling at you for being such a racist.

Well maybe, just maybe, you should balls up, act like a gander, and ignore those people.

I do? But this thread is about our opinions on political correctness. Therefore, I used it to say how I felt. How does posting it here equate to shouting it out in the streets?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Apparently he has a black friend but gets called out by white people for calling them black.

Maybe he just faded away into the shadows when he saw where the conversation was going. Black people can do that.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    O_o they always called 'em wars in my history classes. And you're not even ranting about PC here, you're ranting about doublespeak, which is an entirely different beast. If you want to have a thread about that, go start one.

They weren't formal wars. The bills drafted by Congress, when Congress bothered to recognize what the President and military were doing, were labeled Authorizations for Military Force. It's a way for us to get around domestic and international law which is more restrictive when actual declarations are made.

...I mean, it's because of those damn bleeding heart liberal PC-niks and their grammarian nazitude.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Alright, I want to try something here. If you were to take the statement, "I have a friend who is black. His skin is hard to see at night," would you call it racist? I think we can all agree it's not PC, but is it racist?

Today a black coworker got off the bench to go to the bathroom. While he was there another black coworker took his place. When the first came back to find his seat taken I told him "Sorry, affirmative action and all, we have to keep up the quotas" and we all laughed.

And it was definitely racist in my opinion, but hardly horrible. It was also definitely not PC, but hey, that's the fun part about my job.

But then, racism has a jillion different definitions too so you may want to actually put up what you actually think it means before demanding answers from others.

Quid on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010

You are an idiotic turkey. Let me break it down for you: for it to be a war, congress has to declare war. Has congress passed a resolution declaring war on "fea-" um, "terror."

This kind of thing is proof positive of the fact that "political correctness" is a term used by fools to denote the pattern of other people concluding them to be fools when they say foolish things.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Political correctness has led to some hilarious censor dubs for movies shown on TV. Is that so wrong?!

image_document_large_featured_borderless-196x300.jpg

.Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Today a black coworker got off the bench to go to the bathroom. While he was there another black coworker took his place. When the first came back to find his seat taken I told him "Sorry, affirmative action and all, we have to keep up the quotas" and we all laughed.

And it was definitely racist in my opinion, but hardly horrible. It was also definitely not PC, but hey, that's the fun part about my job.

But then, racism has a jillion different definitions too so you may want to actually put up what you actually think it means before demanding answers from others.

See, I think that's not racist in the least, but it's not politically correct.

Racism is the idea that race is tied to being superior/inferior to others.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

The only examples I can think of where one might argue that political correctness is enforced by law would be in workplace discrimination/hostile work environment cases, or in hate crimes cases.

Even then, it's a stretch.

Also, Cat one the thread pretty quickly:
    People who whine about political correctness are just pissed off that they can't be rude assholes without other people reacting poorly. Grow up.

This is true a vast, vast majority of the time.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

I do? But this thread is about our opinions on political correctness. Therefore, I used it to say how I felt. How does posting it here equate to shouting it out in the streets?

You contend it's some sort of actual issue. It's not.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Except what you seem to believe is 'not PC' is actually PC and so are railing against hypotheticals.

That or you live in some crazy land that I've never experienced, seen, heard of, or imagined.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

You contend it's some sort of actual issue. It's not.

It's an issue to some degree. Not a big one worth talking all that much about, but it still pisses me off when it comes to the media.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    .Tripwire. wrote: »
    Political correctness has led to some hilarious censor dubs for movies shown on TV. Is that so wrong?!

image_document_large_featured_borderless-196x300.jpg

I saw this version the first time I ever watched this movie.

It confused me so much that I couldn't keep up with what was happening and stopped watching.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    It's an issue to some degree.

No, it's not. You just know a silly goose white person and have a black friend that doesn't stick up for you or speak their mind. I'd suggest finding new people to hang out with.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

No, it's not. You just know a silly goose white person and have a black friend that doesn't stick up for you or speak their mind. I'd suggest finding new people to hang out with.

Yeah, uhm...okay. I'll ask for your advice when I need it, champ.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    People who whine about political correctness are just pissed off that they can't be rude assholes without other people reacting poorly. Grow up.

Came here to re-quote this.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Fine, but you can find your own damn nails for that cross.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited January 2010

hahahahahaha what the fuck

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Well, I mean, if you like hanging out with oversensitive white people and this one black guy who doesn't speak their mind, no worries. Go wild. To each their own. Don't know why you'd complain about it though.

Quid on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If you think about it, racists are assholes but they're not the only type of asshole. They see these other assholes skating by and pretty much getting away without all of society vigilantly watching out for them and they think "why can't that be us?".

But I'm sorry, the KKK and the Nazis ruined it for you. It's over. It's never going to be how it was.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    mcdermott wrote: »

The only examples I can think of where one might argue that political correctness is enforced by law would be in workplace discrimination/hostile work environment cases, or in hate crimes cases.

Even then, it's a stretch.

Eh, is contract law freely entered into by consenting partners of appropriate age and mental faculties really considered the equivalent to federal legislation? You could make the argument that you "can't sign away your rights" and I'd be somewhat receptive to that, but at the same time this isn't even really going as far as Non-Disclosure Agreements and the like its just a codified "don't be an asshole" policy.

And hate crime laws just take into account intent when it comes to charging/sentencing same as any other criminal law. Only you get some federal monies to help investigate it.

moniker on
  • Options
    RaggaholicRaggaholic Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I can see this situation happening, actually.

I'm a black guy who works for a very large corporation. I'll hear my coworkers talking about situations all of the time and when they have to reference a black person, they'll usually be very careful to say "African-American," even to the point where it's obvious that they weren't originally going to say it. More than likely, they're worried about offending me in our very politically correct workplace. I could see them getting nervous about pressure from other whites for using the term "black" whereas I wouldn't care either way. Honestly, I prefer the term "black" to "African-American."

But yeah, on the whole I just agree with The Cat. People who loudly complain about "not being politically correct" are usually just blowhards who are looking for an excuse to be their idiotic selves.

Raggaholic on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

Well, I mean, if you like hanging out with oversensitive white people and this one black guy who doesn't speak their mind, no worries. Go wild. To each their own. Don't know why you'd complain about it though.

Are you saying Zombiemambo is in one of the casts of every teen movie ever?

Rent on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Raggaholic wrote: »

I'm a black guy who works for a very large corporation. I'll hear my coworkers talking about situations all of the time and when they have to reference a black person, they'll usually be very careful to say "African-American," even to the point where it's obvious that they weren't originally going to say it. More than likely, they're worried about offending me in our very politically correct workplace. I could see them getting nervous about pressure from other whites for using the term "black" whereas I wouldn't care either way. Honestly, I prefer the term "black" to "African-American."

But yeah, on the whole I just agree with The Cat. People who loudly complain about "not being politically correct" are usually just blowhards who are looking for an excuse to be their idiotic selves.

Yes, but that's another bunch of people being silly geese.

And really, if you're at a social gathering, and a friend of yours calls you black, and some other person starts railing at them how it's appropriate to only call you African American, would you just ignore it?

Quid on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    moniker wrote: »
    Eh, is contract law freely entered into by consenting partners of appropriate age and mental faculties really considered the equivalent to federal legislation? You could make the argument that you "can't sign away your rights" and I'd be somewhat receptive to that, but at the same time this isn't even really going as far as Non-Disclosure Agreements and the like its just a codified "don't be an asshole" policy.

And hate crime laws just take into account intent when it comes to charging/sentencing same as any other criminal law. Only you get some federal monies to help investigate it.

Both true. Which is why I didn't say I'd argue as much. I was just trying to think of any situation in which saying something politically incorrect would wind up causing you trouble inside a courtroom, and those are the only examples I could come up with.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

See, I think that's not racist in the least, but it's not politically correct.

Racism is the idea that race is tied to being superior/inferior to others.

The problem is that a lot of conservatives have attempted to dillute the meaning of "racism" into "any attempt to acknowledge the existence of race is racist," just so that they can accuse any attempt to address racism as being inherently racist because any attempt to address racism will acknowledge the existence of race. i.e., the civil rights act, affirmative action, black history month. Then they can accuse civil rights leaders of being hypocritically racist, even though civil rights leaders never agreed to that definition of racism in the first place.

It's sort of like the people who want to be assholes and deny the validity of anti-pollution laws, by insisting that environmentalists are hypocrites for breathing air.

On the subject of the thread, people who whine about politically correctness tend to be in the same school as the people who assume that Barack Obama is going to enforce white slavery. It's completely unfounded paranoia. They don't care about the real racism that black people face every day, but they'll whine to no end about how they can't call black people the n-word without making them upset.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Politically incorrect things can and do include:

"It's not like I have a bomb in my shoe"

"I'm going to assassinate (x political leader)"

So, you know, when you think about it PC is such a useless term nowadays anyways (too broad)

Rent on
  • Options
    samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    OK, I know my history about wars and how to start them. Im just tired of having to watch what I say as it might be considered racists, sexist, or Politically Incorrect. I want to say "God Bless You" when you sneeze without getting the "I'm a Atheist, there is no gods" (Dane Cook joke, I know) or have PEDA throw fake blood on me for eating chicken. What happen to everyones' opinions mattered?

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    OK, I know my history about wars and how to start them. Im just tired of having to watch what I say as it might be considered racists, sexist, or Politically Incorrect. I want to say "God Bless You" when you sneeze without getting the "I'm a Atheist, there is no gods" (Dane Cook joke, I know) or have PEDA throw fake blood on me for eating chicken. What happen to everyones' opinions mattered?

Wait, either of these have actually happened to you?

Also, if you really have to watch what you say to not be considered racist or sexist, you might just actually be racist or sexist.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    OK, I know my history about wars and how to start them.

All right.
    Im just tired of having to watch what I say as it might be considered racists, sexist, or Politically Incorrect.

And I'm tired of going to work every day to keep from starving. But hey guess what -- adult life is all about doing things you don't want to do, because you have to!
    I want to say "God Bless You" when you sneeze without getting the "I'm a Atheist, there is no gods" (Dane Cook joke, I know) or have PEDA throw fake blood on me for eating chicken. What happen to everyones' opinions mattered?

Dane Cook is a crappy comedian and the number of atheists who would take umbrage to you saying "god bless you" is so small as to be negligible.

Also most people's opinions don't matter.

Hachface on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

So you do just want to be rude and get a pat on the back for it! I'm so glad you're here, all whining about how you should be the only person who gets to have an opinion.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Seriously?

PETA?

The organization everyone, including my hippie vegetarian wife, hates?

Quid on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Raggaholic wrote: »

I think that's more a case of people not knowing the difference between the vulgar and the pejorative.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]