As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade is a contender for Best Webcomic of the Decade

kimagurekimagure Registered User new member
edited February 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
The Washington Post is having a Best Webcomic of the Decade poll. Penny Arcade is one of 22 potentials.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/comic-riffs/2010/01/the_best_webcomic_its_time_to.html

Go and vote now. It's embarassing to let LICD be in 1st place.

kimagure on

• CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I think this is the wrong forum for this topic, but I would just like to observe that if Gabe and/or Tycho want to win, all they have to do is put a link in the next blog post.

CycloneRanger on
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This is a webcomic? "Eric Monster Millikin"

Deebaser on
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    No achewood? Fuck this poll. Hark A Vagrant is really the only one listed there that I like (PA not included)

Clint Eastwood on
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    Neither of the comics that have most consistently gotten a laugh out of me are on there:

Achewood and Dinosaur Comics.

As far as funny, I put PA behind both of those. PA keeps fresh and topical, and that buys a lot.

Doc on
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    kimagure wrote: »

Go and vote now. It's embarassing to let LICD be in 1st place.

That comic is about as funny as a silly goose.

Deebaser on
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Perry Bible Fellowship should win.

Hoz on
  • BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Doc wrote: »
    Neither of the comics that have most consistently gotten a laugh out of me are on there:

As far as funny, I put PA behind both of those. PA keeps fresh and topical, and that buys a lot.

Hi5

Leaving out Dinosaur Comics is a crime, leaving out Achewood is inexcusable.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
    edited January 2010
    Hoz wrote: »
    Perry Bible Fellowship should win.

It should at least be on the goddamn list.

Doc on
  • CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Behemoth wrote: »

Hi5

The problem with that, is that Achewood is not funny.

Edit: Has PBF updated recently, by the way?

Cokebotle on
    工事中
    edited January 2010
    It is on the list. That's why I posted whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat I posted.

Hoz on
    edited January 2010
    Hoz wrote: »
    It is on the list. That's why I posted why I posted.

dang, missed it. My vote is in. :^:

Doc on
  • BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Cokebotle wrote: »

Hi5

Pistols at dawn!

:P

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This list is terribly underwhelming. No nedroid or MSPA.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    edited January 2010

Hi5

It's been hit or miss for the last year or so.

Doc on
    edited January 2010
    Also no SMBC.

Doc on
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Also no SMBC.

Yeah, there are like three good strips in this poll. Washington Post is smoking bad weed.

Sarksus on
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I think xkcd is the best because of its innovation: roll-over text to provide a second punchline to each strip, online forums for fans to discuss the strip or whatever else, and perhaps most of all, the real world meet-ups between fans. I am simply unaware of a single comic EVER that has inspired so many Live Action events (comic BOOKS sure, but a daily or weekly strip? No way.) Personally, I prefer continuing storyline strips (Girls With Sling Shots, Questionable Content, Legend of Bill.) But xkcd uses the internet to actually transform the way readers experience the comic: it's not just a funny or edgy strip scanned and posted. xkcd has really created something different, which is why I rank it "The Best" of the past decade. (On a personal note: Michael, what are the chances of getting an interview with Randall? I have SUCH a nerd crush on him.)

Comment dude's never heard of PAX, I suppose.

Rius on
  • CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Rius wrote: »
    I think xkcd is the best because of its innovation: roll-over text to provide a second punchline to each strip, online forums for fans to discuss the strip or whatever else, and perhaps most of all, the real world meet-ups between fans. I am simply unaware of a single comic EVER that has inspired so many Live Action events (comic BOOKS sure, but a daily or weekly strip? No way.) Personally, I prefer continuing storyline strips (Girls With Sling Shots, Questionable Content, Legend of Bill.) But xkcd uses the internet to actually transform the way readers experience the comic: it's not just a funny or edgy strip scanned and posted. xkcd has really created something different, which is why I rank it "The Best" of the past decade. (On a personal note: Michael, what are the chances of getting an interview with Randall? I have SUCH a nerd crush on him.)

Comment dude's never heard of PAX, I suppose.

Yeah dude, but one time this guy made plans to meet this other guy from Ventrilo who also liked XKCD, and when they got to the bar some other guy overheard and it turned out he liked XKCD too. That's like, five people. Come on man, you can't be that.

Cervetus on
  • CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Hi5

Pistols at dawn!

:P

Your dawn or my dawn? :P

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm AMAZED at how few of these I read. I read or used to read far too many webcomics, but I still haven't heard of a lot of these things. What's that Ghost-Gawriter thing? Or Eric Monster Millikin? Or Pibgorn? Should I know these things? Should I care?

On the other hand, a number of mainstream strips didn't make the cut. Why User Friendly but no Sluggy? On the other hand, I'm pleased that Megatokyo and Ctr+Alt+Del didn't even make the cut.

Oh, and on an unrelated note, I still don't like the name Hark! A Vagrant. She should've stuck with History Comics or something like that. Or just Kate Beaton.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    But...Penny-Arcade isn't the best webcomic of the decade.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Well, it might be the best one from that goosed up list at least.

For the record? If you see a name on that list you never heard of and are curious? I strongly recommend you don't check it out. I just tried that on all the ones I never heard of. My heart is now sad.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
    edited January 2010

It's almost undeniably the most influential, which is one of the few objective measures of "best".

Cervetus on
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

Hi5

The problem with that, is that Achewood is not funny, nor has ever been funny and people who like it like stupid, nonsensical crap.

It's dead now

Anyways, the fact that this doesn't have SMBC or Amazingsuperpowers is some bullshit

And also, yes, pbf is by far the best webcomic of this decade

Rent on
    edited January 2010
    Cervetus wrote: »

It's almost undeniably the most influential, which is one of the few objective measures of "best".

There's a pretty solid argument against that, but it breaks a law I hold dear to my heart.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited January 2010

There's a pretty solid argument against that, but it breaks a law I hold dear to my heart.

Against the first or second clause? Because I more or less pulled the second out of my ass but still think it mostly holds, and I don't see how you could argue against the first.

Cervetus on
    edited January 2010

Against the first or second clause? Because I more or less pulled the second out of my ass but still think it mostly holds, and I don't see how you could argue against the first.

The second.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited January 2010
    Really, "Best" is a horribly loaded word to use in almost any situation.

Cervetus on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I voted PA.

Whattaya gonna do?

Quid on
    edited January 2010
    Yeah pretty much. But I know what they mean, and I'd still say that being influential hardly makes it better than a number of other webcomics that are funnier.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited January 2010
    Quid wrote: »
    I voted PA.

Whattaya gonna do?

Be pissed at you for not voting for pbf

What the fuck Quid, I thought we were cool man :?

Rent on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Rent wrote: »
    I voted PA.

Whattaya gonna do?

20080416.gif
    I actually like PBF. I just like PA better. Also I like that particular comic too, though the series is meh.

Quid on
    edited January 2010
    Rent wrote: »
    I voted PA.

Whattaya gonna do?

20080416.gif
    I actually like PBF. I just like PA better. Also I like that particular comic too, though the series is meh.

Heheheheh

That's funny, I should read chainsawsuit more often

Anyways I would say amazingsuperpowers is strictly funnier than PA, but that's just my opinion

Rent on
  • SamSam Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Pbf deserves this much more than pa

Sam on
    edited January 2010
    I just noticed CAD isn't on the list. So it's not all bad.

Cervetus on
    edited January 2010
    Why would you even be worried about that?

Newspapers are read by adults.

Hoz on
  • CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    PA is my favorite webcomic, and the one I voted for. I think PBF is the most consistently, genuinely funny, but it doesn't update regularly (does it still update at all?) and I quite like all the little side-projects run from the PA comic (the CTS stories or Automata/Lookouts type stuff).

CycloneRanger on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I voted PBF, I couldn't help it. When I first discovered it I laughed 'till I cried. No other webcomic has ever done that.

So, yeah, keep on truckin' PA. XKCD has a lot more fans than I expected.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I liked PBF, but I don't think I'd vote for one that stopped running years ago. I'm not voting for any though because this is just a desperate newspaper attempt to draw back readers from the internet.

Scooter on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    PBF is completely fantastic and I voted for it. I love PA but man, every PBF is great.

I don't understand how some of these are even on the list, especially at the expense of achewood.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget