As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How often do you bathe?

• Options
    Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Djiem wrote: »
    Man, and I thought I was hypocondriac and OCD.

I find it funny that a guy who wore the same jeans for weeks on end is disgusted at the idea of people skipping a shower every once in a while.

Denim, much like copper, has antibacterial properties.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

I find it funny that a guy who wore the same jeans for weeks on end is disgusted at the idea of people skipping a shower every once in a while.

If your skin is clean, then the jeans will stay clean too. Just hang them up to air out. You should really only be washing denim every few weeks. I only wash mine when they begin to stretch out.

Esh on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Leitner wrote: »
    So given this has become slightly more of a general shower/hygine related thread. Shaving everything makes it much cleaner, easier to wash, and fresher right or is this a piece of confirmation bias?
    I have generally observed that hair is indeed the enemy.

Pretty much. Fuck hair.

adytum on
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    i shower everyday before work and if i do physical activity like going to the gym i rinse off afterwards.

i also brush my teeth in the shower and shave in the shower. so my morning showers can get kinda long

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    adytum wrote: »
    So given this has become slightly more of a general shower/hygine related thread. Shaving everything makes it much cleaner, easier to wash, and fresher right or is this a piece of confirmation bias?

Pretty much. Fuck hair.

shaving everything? as in...everything?

i don't know if my hands are steady enough

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Nogs wrote: »

Pretty much. Fuck hair.

look out for razor burn

the wook on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Esh wrote: »

If your skin is clean, then the jeans will stay clean too. Just hang them up to air out. You should really only be washing denim every few weeks. I only wash mine when they begin to stretch out.

Your skin is clean when you put your jeans on because you came out of the shower, but you took them off to take a shower because you weren't clean anymore.

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Your skin is clean when you put your jeans on because you came out of the shower, but you took them off to take a shower because you weren't clean anymore.

Dirt isn't getting underneath your jeans. And unless you're strenuously sweating, they shouldn't be getting dirty. They're not major areas of that.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Dirt isn't getting underneath your jeans. And unless you're strenuously sweating, they shouldn't be getting dirty. They're not major areas of that.

So you're saying that unless you're strenously sweating, it IS ok after all to skip a shower every once in a while. Gotcha.

Djiem on
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Pretty much. Fuck hair.

It ain't that hard.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    neville wrote: »

Pretty much. Fuck hair.

It ain't that hard.

yet, anyway

the wook on
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    the wook wrote: »
    neville wrote: »

Pretty much. Fuck hair.

It ain't that hard.

yet, anyway

:winky:
    But it DOES help to be in the shower when doing so.
    Water > no water when shaving.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010

No, see, what I'm disgusted by is people who think that, because they themselves don't smell their own odor or see the dirt, they are clean.

I've been to PAX. I've taken GEs with computer science majors. There is this weird fucking prevalence of grease and body odor among geeks, and I don't think having an H&A thread where a bunch of people say it's okay to regularly go several days without washing is going to help.

I'm not really up in arms about the whole thing. I don't wipe my hands down with moist towelettes every time I hug someone. I just think that "you don't have to take a shower every day" is bad help/advice, because what fucking harm does taking a shower do? None. The positives vastly outweigh the negatives.

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010

So you're saying that unless you're strenously sweating, it IS ok after all to skip a shower every once in a while. Gotcha.

Last time I checked, the legs were not a particularly smelly part of the body. Head. Pits. Crotch. Feet. Those are where the stench is coming from. The denim is not going to get nasty from repeated wears unless you actually spill something on them or you don't shower. Seriously, stop being a silly goose.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Kazhiim wrote: »

No, see, what I'm disgusted by is people who think that, because they themselves don't smell their own odor or see the dirt, they are clean.

I've been to PAX. I've taken GEs with computer science majors. There is this weird fucking prevalence of grease and body odor among geeks, and I don't think having an H&A thread where a bunch of people say it's okay to regularly go several days without washing is going to help.

I'm not really up in arms about the whole thing. I don't wipe my hands down with moist towelettes every time I hug someone. I just think that "you don't have to take a shower every day" is bad help/advice, because what fucking harm does taking a shower do? None. The positives vastly outweigh the negatives.

but it's 10 minutes i could spend jerking off

the wook on
  • Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

be a lady wook, multitask.

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Belruel wrote: »

be a lady wook, multitask.

it takes both hands

the wook on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    im of the belief that after wanking one should maybe shower
    so sometimes i shower a lot

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I shower every day if I'm working or going out

On my off days, I don't give a fffuuuuck

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Once a day, no exceptions. Maybe I'll shower more if I'm feeling especially groddy

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    PhistiPhisti Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Showering every day dries out your skin - mine anyway, and on top of that consumes copious amounts of water, and energy to heat that water.

If 30 million people in California all shower once a day, for 5 minutes, and everyone had a water saving shower head (say 4gpm flow), that's 600 million gallons of cleaned, heated water consumed daily - just in the shower. Sure that pales compared to industrial water consumption but seriously, people consume way more water than they need to just in their own home.

Edit:

And seriously, if you're so gross you need to shower every day, how can you even contemplate wearing the same shirt another day without washing? If you are dirty / smelly, your shirt certainly will be, however if your shirt is dirty / smelly, you are not necessarily the same way (ie. I spill shit on my clothes all the time when I'm cooking dinner - I really should use an apron) Pants get folded and put away for re-wearing, shirts get laundry basket action - a load of laundry is 14-21 shirts, and takes about 20 gallons of cold water.

Phisti on
  • Options
    iglidanteiglidante Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Phisti wrote: »
    Showering every day dries out your skin.

See, I have tricky skin, especially in the winter. Dry in some spots (arms, legs, cheeks), and super oily in others (chest, back, t-zone, crotch). I tend to say "fuck it" to my arms, and just let them dry out. I'll moisturize my face to keep it from scaling too much (shaving does not help dry skin). But enough of me gets greasy that not showering would be a serious faux pas.

iglidante on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

It is not bad advice, because it's true. You really, really don't. For most people, anyway (I'm fully aware that there are some people who start to stink really fast, and others that maintain a pretty active/sweaty lifestyle). I'm not concerned about one particular geek taking my advice and pretending it means that he can go for a week without showering. I'm not going to lie and pretend that if you don't shower every single day of your life you immediatly become a disgusting freak at the 24:01 mark, it simply isn't true, and to say that is just equally as bad advice, because it creates an athmosphere of calling normal people disgusting. And just because you can't smell yourself doesn't mean you smell.

Djiem on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

Last time I checked, the legs were not a particularly smelly part of the body. Head. Pits. Crotch. Feet. Those are where the stench is coming from. The denim is not going to get nasty from repeated wears unless you actually spill something on them or you don't shower. Seriously, stop being a silly goose.

Exactly what piece of clothing is covering your crotch when you wear jeans?

And what kind of poppycock is "you're not supposed to wash your jeans more than every couple of weeks"?

Seriously guys, wash at least once a day, and never wear your clothes more than once.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I doubt everyone goes out commando.

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Seriously guys, wash at least once a day, and never wear your clothes more than once.

See, that's not always necessary. If I come home from work, change into a t-shirt, and wear it for four hours, I'm probably going to put it on again after work the next day. It's not filthy.

...and for that matter, who can afford to own/wash a pair of pants for every day of the week? I certainly don't own 7 pair of jeans, or 5 pair of dress pants for work that actually fit. Clothing is expensive. Runs to the laundromat are expensive. Wearing jeans for a few days never hurt anyone. Underwear and socks, sure - I wash those after one day. But how often do you wash your winter jacket? Most people wear those for hours on end, and they gather quite a bit of sweat and actual dirt.

iglidante on
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hm. I, for one, vote we rename this topic and move it to D&D, since that's what it is now.

Anyway: Shower daily if going out into public (which is generally every day). Only i I'm feeling really really lazy will I skip a shower, and only then if I'm staying in. A for clothes, I often wear a shirt 3-4 times before I change it, same with pants - although since I'm in work clothes most of the day, my casual stuff doesn't get much wear. Work clothes I change every day, no exceptions. Wearing a button-up shirt twice is pretty obvious :P.

Unless all you guys who say 'change everything daily' are wearing those clothes *all day*, I don't get it. I don't sweat much at all, so my clothes don't smell after one use... I mean, I'm pretty neurotic about it usually, and it doesn't bother me at all.

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited January 2010
    I wash my jeans like every 2 weeks or so.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    ueanuean Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    iglidante wrote: »

See, that's not always necessary. If I come home from work, change into a t-shirt, and wear it for four hours, I'm probably going to put it on again after work the next day. It's not filthy.

...and for that matter, who can afford to own/wash a pair of pants for every day of the week? I certainly don't own 7 pair of jeans, or 5 pair of dress pants for work that actually fit. Clothing is expensive. Runs to the laundromat are expensive. Wearing jeans for a few days never hurt anyone. Underwear and socks, sure - I wash those after one day. But how often do you wash your winter jacket? Most people wear those for hours on end, and they gather quite a bit of sweat and actual dirt.

I wear my jeans until they're dirty. If that's a week, so be it. If it's two, fine. Maybe not straight in a row, but washing clothes after every wear is retarded... you're just going to use a ton of water, soap, and wear everything out faster. Underwear and socks, yes definitely I change those every day. Sweaters and pants... nope. T-shirts or shirts it'll really have to depend on the season (a shirt can be worn a few times without washing if its cold out and i don't sweat)

uean on
    Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I live in a hot, dank swamp city, so my advice on this might be a bit skewed from the rest of the population, but wearing clothes more than once is usually smelly here unless you only wore the clothes for a few hours indoors. Example: you got dressed at 4, went out to dinner, came home and disrobed. The next day should probably still be fine.

Going to work all day? most likely your clothes are going to start to stink. Pants are sometimes an exception, but even then only two days or so would be fine before they start to smell sweaty.

Now, you northerners may look at things differently. But from what I hear from relatives up there, you sweat pretty hard when shoveling snow, sitting in next to your space heaters, etc. Unless you are looking for ways to keep the lady-folk away, wash often!

Enc on
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    if you can't maintain a habit that demands ten minutes out of 24 hours and yields benefits like feeling energized/refreshed, social graces, and a body that isn't a sushi platter for bacteria (not to mention droplets of urine and traces of feces around the genitals and anus), you have a behavior problem. it may or may not be one that you can get away with, but it's still a problem.

Sam on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Sam wrote: »
    if you can't maintain a habit that demands ten minutes out of 24 hours and yields benefits like feeling energized/refreshed, social graces, and a body that isn't a sushi platter for bacteria (not to mention droplets of urine and traces of feces around the genitals and anus), you have a behavior problem. it may or may not be one that you can get away with, but it's still a problem.

No it is not.
    Simple as that.
    I'd go into more detail about it but this thread has reached 5 pages of this nonsense now, so I'm just gonna announce it once here:

Anyone who posts something like what I just quoted is wrong.

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    It doesn't have to be so polarizing. Everyone has different body chemistry. People "stankify" at different speeds. What works for Joe doesn't have to work for Steve. If you get oily and smelly after a day, you need to shower. If you don't, or maybe you have dry skin, and you can be certain you don't smell like old cheese - skip a day. The same is true for clothing. There are no hard and fast rules. Only conditions and checks for those conditions.

iglidante on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I just don't understand why, in general, most people wouldn't want to bathe every day. Sure, there will be the odd occurrence where you don't but in general cleaning yourself is a good thing.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Oh, I agree. I find it pleasant. It helps me wake up, gives me some time to think, and is a nice marker that says "my day is beginning now."

iglidante on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    you can get away with skipping a shower once in a while.
    the problem is it isn't easy to determine when that is. not just because you can't smell your odor.

Every time you take a dump, there's going to be residual fecal matter. it may be too small to see or feel, but toilet paper isn't enough.

You don't have control over how many bacteria feed off your sweat, or how pungent (and bacteria attracting) your sweat is depending on what you had to eat.

I don't even want to get started on body hair.

While these alone should be compelling enough reasons not to take chances, it's also a matter of basic self discipline. If you can't make yourself habitually bathe, you're an unreliable person.

no one's saying that a single day without a shower makes you gross. I'm talking about the general habit and behavior pattern. By not bathing every day do you mean you miss one day out of seven, or bathe every alternate day? There's a big difference, and I wouldn't even call the former not bathing every day except in a technical sense.

Sam on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Well, personally, I really don't like showering, because I have a very dry skin, and any positive "fresh" feeling I get from showering is offset by a feeling of my body cracking like a mud puddle out in the sun.
    This said, whenever I get off a plane trip or when I'm out of one of my many overnight (or more) trips at that hospital, a good shower is one of the best feelings in the world.

EDIT: Sam, I usually shower 5-6 times a week. So that's almost every day. Of course, I sometimes shower less during winter times because I sweat even less than normal (which is already almost not at all), and I don't go out as much. During summer, I usually shower every single day. It's hot and humid, and my dry skin problem really isn't there (in winter it's horrible).

Djiem on
  • Options
    variantvariant Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Everyday but sometimes on weekends I wont shower on saturday or sunday.

variant on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Exactly what piece of clothing is covering your crotch when you wear jeans?

And what kind of poppycock is "you're not supposed to wash your jeans more than every couple of weeks"?

I would assume your underwear is covering your crotch. o_O

You should try Googling "How often should I wash my jeans". You'll be surprised.

EDIT: With the caveat that I wear fairly expensive jeans and you're REALLY not supposed to wash those on a frequent basis.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    if you're otherwise clean, jeans don't have to be washed more than once a week or fortnight.

aside- I've been called out IRL for using words like fortnight and elope. these aren't complex SAT words, and just because your dumbass friends don't use them or you don't hear them on tv (which is made for said dumbass friends) doesn't mean I can't.
    Idiots need to die.

edit- SILLY GEESE!

Sam on