As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hates, Hopes, and Happy Holidays

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I wonder about Thaddius. Would doing 3x the required damage counter the lack of 5 extra people for the damage buff?

We did Malygos for the weekly and I didn't see a single spark go down. We one-shotted him. Most of the "do this environmental thing for extra damage to beat the enrage" are unnecessary at this point.
    Oh, it was quite necessary for us a few weeks ago. Hit the enrage timer our first few attempts or so due to taking way too long in P1.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, the sort of DPS a well geared raider can put out now is nearly double that of what was possible a year ago.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Over double for some classes.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    AeytherAeyther Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hate: It took 17 runs through reg ToC to get a trinket I've been trying to get. It didn't drop until run number 15 and I lost the roll to a lock in all lvl 74 - 80 greens and like two blues.

Happy: I got it and the healing trinket off of the Black Night cause I was the only caster in that run.

Interesting: I ran it 4 times with a tank that had 23k health after fort, it was actually kinda fun cause the other runs were lead by tanks with 50k health who took a hit once per fight.

For those who care: I saw the Black Heart drop 7 times :P

Aeyther on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Well I failed to get interest in last week's raid of Malygos so my plan to kill the last two bosses of Naxx and ninja the key is high on my list now

Comparing the tier 7.5 plaugeheart vs the tier 9 yesterday with the same enchants and jewels I come to find it it's not that great of a set for affliction

Brainleech on
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Happy: DK hit 80. And with the BoE armor/gems/faction enchants I had, she has 28k health unbuffed and 547 Defense.

I ran Regular ToC six times tonight and saw the Black Heart drop once. And a dps won it. At least I got a Helm for my dps set.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    PierceNeck wrote: »
    I don't know Tyrannus's mechanics. As DPS I just run away from him and the party when I get little lines going from him to me, and if there's something on DBM saying that the dragon or whatever is near me, I move. I don't know what any of the stuff does. Just work under the assumption that safe is better than sorry and run away like a little girl.

Also, on Ick.... is there any danger to continuing DPS (melee) on him if you're not the one being very slowly* chased?

Tyrannus: Red lines (Overlord's Brand) mean your dps gets transferred to the tank (like Mirrored Soul in FoS). Healers get green lines, so their heals also heal Tyrannus. So no need to move, just stop attacking.

You can dps Ick just fine if you are not the one pursued, even as melee. He won't do anything to anyone else while in Pursuit.

Grobian on
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    SabreMau wrote: »
    We got Naxx again. 8 weeks and counting.

(Anub this week)

And, after having the image briefly flicker to XT-002, it switches back and the quest becomes available: Anub'Rekhan Must Die Again.

The RNG hates Draenor. Yeah, Naxx is easy, but it's getting monotonous going in there every week.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Happy: Reins of the Blue Drake.

Hate: For my Druid.

reVerse on
  • Options
    DharmaBumDharmaBum Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    We got Naxx again. 8 weeks and counting.

(Anub this week)

And, after having the image briefly flicker to XT-002, it switches back and the quest becomes available: Anub'Rekhan Must Die Again.

The RNG hates Draenor. Yeah, Naxx is easy, but it's getting monotonous going in there every week.

On Burning Blade we haven't had anything besides Sarth, and Instructor (Except for the time we got Anub and Ignis once)

DharmaBum on
  • Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    We usually get Jaraxxus, which is really, really hard for a pug to take down, considering there are three other bosses first.

Samphis on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2010
    Got Forge of Souls as my daily random.

Hate: three tanks in a row bail without a word. 6 minutes left on the LFD debuff. Then I'll just look for another group.

Echo on
  • Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Forge of Souls is pretty easy too.

shadowane on
  • Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Happy: Exalted with the Skyguard, bringing me up to 80 mounts. The Nether Rays are sweet-looking, but definitely look like flying vaginas when viewed from top-down.

Hate: I'm now out of "easy" mounts towards my 100. I still have a ton of them to get from the tournament, but the rest I'm going to have to farm for. At least I'll enjoy getting the PVP ones.

Samphis on
  • Options
    GnutsonGnutson Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Happy, Got to see something past Saurfang last night, we actually cleared some trash, and gave Festergut a few go's

The first 3 attempts were humerous as we learnt what to do, pretty positive we can get that fight on Friday night (our regular raid night) providing we don't spend 2 hours on Saurfang again.. (eff you 3% and 1% wipes)

Hate, Had to go on my shaman for Fester as our super healer/dps hybrid was unavailable last night. First time raid healing anything but 1 Ony run..

Happy, Realize I'm not horrible at raid healing, so now that I've done a guild run, I'll be a little more willing to take her out for ToC pugs and try and gear up the elemental set some.

Gnutson on
    Erai - Operative <--Imperial Double Agent--> Sniper - Eari
    SW:Tor - Tao - Kryatt Dragon Server
  • Options
    GnutsonGnutson Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    shadowane wrote: »

Needs more Lime.

Gnutson on
    Erai - Operative <--Imperial Double Agent--> Sniper - Eari
    SW:Tor - Tao - Kryatt Dragon Server
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2010
    yeah, Forge is dead easy as long as your head is located on the traditional side of your rectum. Damn failtanks.

Echo on
  • Options
    NeylaNeyla Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    Got Forge of Souls as my daily random.

Hate: three tanks in a row bail without a word. 6 minutes left on the LFD debuff. Then I'll just look for another group.

Wonder what's wrong with FoS? I thought everyone loves that place since there is more trash to drop this fabled battered hilt (i have yet to see it). HoR on the other hand...

Happy: got 2 achievements last night in 10s. Dance with Oozes and Nausea, Heartburn, Indigestion... all that is left that can be done is Once Bitten Twice Shy. Though it maybe a while before I can get that one.

Happy2: I got to tank on my poor pally last night for guildies, they know I am heroic lvl stuff so for the most part they were "easy" on me. I don't think I ever finished so many heroics so quickly. Go Go Triumph badges!

Eeeek: So as I was tanking last night, my RL/GL on vent decided that sometime we gonna have girls vs boys night. And she said "sorry Neyla you will be tanking" dunno what or where i'll be tanking but I hope they get me some gear before hand! Though be interesting to see something like that. All of our uber tanks are boys and all of our uber healers are girls. Dps is half and half. Just sucks I am the only girl with a tank alt >.<

Neyla on
    13142111181576.png
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I think the main reason tanks hate FoS is that the trash packs are spread out and they have to work to get them under control, when often DPS will just reach for that Living Bomb/Blizzard/SoC/etc keys.

(not that I'm complaining, I've done that place several times on all 3 tanks).

Nobody on
  • Options
    RedDawnRedDawn Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Happy: Hopped on and saw my buddies were in OS 10, they invited me in and I was the 4th person in the raid. Went through and 4 manned him. Was pretty awesome.

Happy/Hate: Not raiding anymore makes me sad for my gear, I want the new tier stuff, but running 25mans just isn't fun for me anymore.

RedDawn on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    shadowane wrote: »

It is but then I have been in there with some really bad dps and healers

Brainleech on
  • Options
    TheTishTheTish Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Neyla wrote: »
    Happy: got 2 achievements last night in 10s. Dance with Oozes and Nausea, Heartburn, Indigestion... all that is left that can be done is Once Bitten Twice Shy. Though it maybe a while before I can get that one.

Got the Nausea achievement this past week also. How did you guys pull off Dances with Oozes?

Oh, and it's going to be logistical nightmare to get everyone in our group the Once Bitten Twice Shy achievement. Although I guess the fight will get faster and require less people getting bitten as people get more comfortable with the encounter. Our first kill was kinda messy with a lot of deaths... lol

TheTish on
    sig-1117080.jpg
    -- Gnome mage enchantress and inscriptionologist... er scribbler --
    sig-1497520.jpg
    sig-1497534.jpg
  • Options
    XArchangelXXArchangelX Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Happy: Dinged 75 on my warrior last night and still have the north half of Borean Tundra to work through. At this rate I won't even finish Dragonblight. $$'s
    Also, won a greed roll on a dagger from normal AN and am now tanking with it because it's better than the previous dagger I was tanking with. I feel weird tanking with daggers, but nothing else has come along.
    Also, got dual-spec and went Fury and made two of the Honed Cobalt Axes which look pretty awesome when dual wielded.

Hate: Now I have to fly around mining a shit-ton of ore on my blacksmith to make a DPS set.

XArchangelX on
    Eve Online is a terrible game, but I used to play, for the lulz!
    Steam
    Only the strong can help the weak.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    TheTish wrote: »

Got the Nausea achievement this past week also. How did you guys pull off Dances with Oozes?

Oh, and it's going to be logistical nightmare to get everyone in our group the Once Bitten Twice Shy achievement. Although I guess the fight will get faster and require less people getting bitten as people get more comfortable with the encounter. Our first kill was kinda messy with a lot of deaths... lol

Should of seen ours, try training our Melee to find the caster they suppose to bite lol.

Dances with Oozes was...interesting and all about going balls out, blowing Hero/Blood asap to get the most bang out of your DPS. Our OT would wait till 2 little oozes merged to taunt then kite. Not sure how your DPS is set up, but we form a tight circle around the boss so the oozlines merge quickly. I can't recall if the OT let his ooze kite eat one more or not ( I was going hard on the boss and watching for spray) but we had another ready to kite the next big ooze.

The MT had to do some menuvering near the end, so DPS had to be abit more on their toes for his spray. We only had one death in the process /cheer.

Once you get the kiting down it's really not that bad. We got it in one shot last night after testing it out abit last week. It will be easy to repeat for our absent member again certainly.

Neyla on
    13142111181576.png
  • Options
    IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Should of seen ours, try training our Melee to find the caster they suppose to bite lol.

One of ours was like "Can everyone get assist and can we assign marks so we can find our targets?" o_O Then one of them was like "OMG if you turn friendly names off it only shows the name of the person you're targetting!!!"

All I can think is: People raid with friendly names turned on? I turned them the hell off the first time I zoned into Molten Core....

Ishtaar on
    FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Options
    Thomase1984Thomase1984 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sad: Putricide to 0% before the wipe.
    Hope: He would have been dead if he didn't decide to spawn another gas cloud at 33% before the phase switch.
    lol: literally hilarious doing it as an all melee group (bar the healers)

Thomase1984 on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Ishtaar wrote: »
    All I can think is: People raid with friendly names turned on? I turned them the hell off the first time I zoned into Molten Core....

Do you rely on mouseover, or are you actually capable of recognizing individuals in a 40 man raid based on appearance? If so... kudos.

Or do you just call out "Hey, you, fucking nelf rogue! Stop fucking up! Yes, I know there's like 5 of you, just fucking quit it!"

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Forar wrote: »

Do you rely on mouseover, or are you actually capable of recognizing individuals in a 40 man raid based on appearance? If so... kudos.

Or do you just call out "Hey, you, fucking nelf rogue! Stop fucking up! Yes, I know there's like 5 of you, just fucking quit it!"

I sitll play with the names on
    WoWScrnShot_111108_234137.jpg

Brainleech on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Nobody wrote: »
    I think the main reason tanks hate FoS is that the trash packs are spread out and they have to work to get them under control, when often DPS will just reach for that Living Bomb/Blizzard/SoC/etc keys.

(not that I'm complaining, I've done that place several times on all 3 tanks).

It's not difficult in the slightest though. I think druids would probably have the hardest time with it. Everyone else has a way to organize/silence/interrupt to group them together.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ExistentialSoundandFuryExistentialSoundandFury Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    FoS was the first time I've been thankful to be tanking as a Blood Elf. Arcane torrent makes the large caster pulls much easier to manage.

ExistentialSoundandFury on
    399831.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010

One of ours was like "Can everyone get assist and can we assign marks so we can find our targets?" o_O Then one of them was like "OMG if you turn friendly names off it only shows the name of the person you're targetting!!!"

Well I am sure it will be messier in 25 man then 10. And I may not be able to see their first attempts on it (tonight). Though I may log onto vent tee hee.

This is why I have raid frames (grid) always open no matter who/what I play. Screw marks.
    Forar wrote:

Thankfully 40 mans is a thing the of past, in 25s or 10s it is alot easier since you will only have on avg 1-2 of each class and for the most they are distinguishable. I have never had friendly player name plates on.

Neyla on
    13142111181576.png
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Thankfully 40 mans is a thing the of past, in 25s or 10s it is alot easier since you will only have on avg 1-2 of each class and for the most they are distinguishable. I have never had friendly player name plates on.

Oh, believe me, I'm a veteran of the BC Wars. Got a bank alt/old main with a Warglaive and the snazziest blindfold ( :winky: ) headgear available to show for it. 10's and 25's are wonderful in terms of herding fewer kittens, but some of the screenshots from MC... it's baffling how we ever got anything done trying to round up and direct that many people at a time.

Then again, I was one of the crazy ones who had raid frames showing everyone's health and mana tucked away on the side of my screen. It was always funny when someone would call out how it was a wipe and I'm thinking "Yeah, no shit, 32 people are dead, thanks for stating the obvious."

Stating the obvious is my job, thank you very much.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Oh, believe me, I'm a veteran of the BC Wars. Got a bank alt/old main with a Warglaive and the snazziest blindfold ( :winky: ) headgear available to show for it. 10's and 25's are wonderful in terms of herding fewer kittens, but some of the screenshots from MC... it's baffling how we ever got anything done trying to round up and direct that many people at a time.

Then again, I was one of the crazy ones who had raid frames showing everyone's health and mana tucked away on the side of my screen. It was always funny when someone would call out how it was a wipe and I'm thinking "Yeah, no shit, 32 people are dead, thanks for stating the obvious."

Stating the obvious is my job, thank you very much.

Yeah, I cringe a little every time I remember dealing with 40s, but I die a little inside when I remember raiding in EQ and being part of a guild that raided with 100-120 people routinely. It was sure a pleasant change joining a different guild doing the same content with 25-30.

Ranlin on
  • Options
    IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Tinytip shows the name on mouseover, and if you target the person their name still appears. I use mouseover macros for healing, so the person I'm targeting is irrelevant for the most part.

Ishtaar on
    FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Options
    RedDawnRedDawn Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Tinytip shows the name on mouseover, and if you target the person their name still appears. I use mouseover macros for healing, so the person I'm targeting is irrelevant for the most part.

As sad as it was I could recognize the majority of my 40 man guild back in the day with names turned off. We would raid like 5 times a week so you got to know them after a while.

RedDawn on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Oh, believe me, I'm a veteran of the BC Wars. Got a bank alt/old main with a Warglaive and the snazziest blindfold ( :winky: ) headgear available to show for it. 10's and 25's are wonderful in terms of herding fewer kittens, but some of the screenshots from MC... it's baffling how we ever got anything done trying to round up and direct that many people at a time..

Class leaders were actually an important organization feature. Raid leader communicated to the class leaders, who made sure everyone else was doing what they were supposed to be doing.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Septus wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »
    added to their desire to make healing more difficult, I think that Cata will be a headache at first.

I read it as, making healing more fun. At least, that's how I think it will play out in 5 mans. Even when not at all overgeared in level 70 instances, my shaman spends entirely too much time not needing to heal.

Healing is a strange thing. When it's challenging, it's really stressful and challenging, but then you get enough gear that it's not anymore. DPS can still compete against each other, heals can only... tell each other to swap to their DPS spec and do the fight with three healers that used to require six, or something.

What I hate is how their idea of "making healing more challenging" always seems to mean "we're going to make you go OOM, have fun." That's not really a challenge, it's just annoying.

Never done Heroic Shattered Halls with a warrior tank or something? No "tanking a single boss" about it.

Best thing about that place was how it crushed tank egos, too. Suddenly they aren't as good as they thought they were. But if you had a warrior who could tank it, you knew you had a good tank.

Actually yeah we had ONE warrior who could tank it, before the nerfs, when we were trying to do attunement runs. I felt bad for her cos being non-bad meant she had to tank it for like the entire guild.

exis wrote: »
    I have nothing that I want to buy :P. Blessing and a curse, I guess. But mostly a blessing.

What about FLYING SKILL? :P

riz on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    riz wrote: »
    Healing is a strange thing. When it's challenging, it's really stressful and challenging, but then you get enough gear that it's not anymore. DPS can still compete against each other, heals can only... tell each other to swap to their DPS spec and do the fight with three healers that used to require six, or something.

What I hate is how their idea of "making healing more challenging" always seems to mean "we're going to make you go OOM, have fun." That's not really a challenge, it's just annoying.

I can foresee a middleground. Dpsing in most heroics is not challenging, but I'm always very active. The most important impression I get from Blizzard's statements are that tanks will have more health relative to incoming damage and healing, so healers will have to cast more often. Of course Blizz also stated they wanted more mana management, but it doesn't necessarily have to be bad.

But spending more of my time healing in heroics is definitely a plus.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    exis wrote: »
    I have nothing that I want to buy :P. Blessing and a curse, I guess. But mostly a blessing.

What about FLYING SKILL? :P
    I ended up having to buy regular flying skill to do an Argent Crusade quest, so that I had enough rep to buy the tabard. I needed to get into a tower that was about ten feet off the ground. If not for that I'd never have bought it. But there's no way in hell I'm forking out for epic flying when I spend all my time either in dungeons or in Dalaran waiting for dungeon groups.

Though I did get that drake from Strat this morning >.>

edit: It makes me a little sad that my priest is sitting untouched on Blackrock with her epic flying skill and a few thousand gold. If I keep playing I may just bring her home.

exis on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Mana management should be a challenge, I'd much rather healing was balanced around having to manage your mana and try not to overheal too much rather than just "oh you missed a GCD and your dude just died."

815165 on
This discussion has been closed.