As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade is a contender for Best Webcomic of the Decade

• darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I voted for PA without any shame in my heart. Yea I love PBF, and I love Hark a Vagrant as well as achewood but no.. I have to go with the two guys who have done so much for gamers and non gamers everywhere.

as for LICD.. meh I get a laugh from it but its a guilty pleasure.. like kicking babies.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Snork wrote: »
    how in the fuck is achewood not on this list

Because it's the best of the decade, not the worst

Rent on
  • flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    No Achewood, no vote. I'm taking my ball and going home.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Rent wrote: »
    Snork wrote: »
    how in the fuck is achewood not on this list

Because it's the best of the decade, not the worst

achewood-beef-hee-hee.jpg

Snork on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Wow LICD and XKCD are leading the votes. The internet is the real monster.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited January 2010
    See that image is actually humourous

Now if you link the comic that's from, I'm 99% positive it's about 3/4 of the way through it, and the final panels are shuffling around after the (very poor) punchline going, "Uh...yeah....."

Rent on
  • flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Now if you link the comic that's from, I'm 99% positive it's about 3/4 of the way through it, and the final panels are shuffling around after the (very poor) punchline going, "Uh...yeah....."

Bzzzt. Wrong.

http://m.assetbar.com/achewood/uuacVwg3J

edit: aw, what the hell

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Current rankings:

26%- LICD
    20%- xkcd
    10%- Perry Bible Fellowship
    7%- Girl Genius
    7%- Penny Arcade
    6%- Questionable Content
    4%- Order of the Stick
    4%- Schlock Mercenary
    2%- Eric Monster Milliken
    1%- Girls with Slingshots
    1%- Hark! A Vagrant
    1%- Sinfest
    0%- Devil's Panties; Devin Crane; Jesus and Mo; Kevin and Kell; Navy Bean; New Adventures of Queen Victoria; Pibgorn; PvP; Red String; UserFriendly.Org

it's funny. Most of the good stuff is TOWARDS the top, but none of it is AT the top.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • SpoonySpoony Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    That's a pretty arbitrary list of comics. Some certainly deserve to be there, like PvP, PA and LICD which, in spite of the venom it attracts here, has a sizable enough following to justify its placement.

What doesn't make sense is the inclusion of comics that experienced internet nerds have never heard of over comics with a sizable following and history. Most of the ones with 0% shouldn't have been included over comics like Something Positive, MegaTokyo and Achewood.

And PBF as the best of the decade? It didn't even make 250 strips, every strip is the same joke and it effectively died years ago. Also, Cat and Girl shouldn't be anywhere near the phrase "Best Web Comic."

Spoony on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Spoony wrote: »
    And PBF as the best of the decade? It didn't even make 250 strips, every strip is the same joke and it effectively died years ago. Also, Cat and Girl shouldn't be anywhere near the phrase "Best Web Comic."

You are a silly goose

Arch on
  • geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    "best of the decade" would correspond to best made in the decade, not the one running the entire decade.

duh. PBF haters.

Garfield has been running for going on 32 years, and Calvin and Hobbes ran for 10 years. Which one was the best comic of the century, hmmm?

geckahn on
    edited January 2010
    geckahn wrote: »
    "best of the decade" would correspond to best made in the decade, not the one running the entire decade.

duh. PBF haters.

Garfield has been running for going on 32 years, and Calvin and Hobbes ran for 10 years. Which one was the best comic of the century, hmmm?

trick question!

peanuts
    I lied it is totally calvin and hobbes

Arch on
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

duh. PBF haters.

Calvin and Hobbes

I don't even know why you asked that question

Salvation122 on
    edited January 2010

duh. PBF haters.

Calvin and Hobbes

I don't even know why you asked that question

The vast gulf in the quality of the two was kinda the point. Rhetorical question.

geckahn on
  • CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    And PBF as the best of the decade? It didn't even make 250 strips, every strip is the same joke and it effectively died years ago.

I'm not sure you've ever read PBF.

Cervetus on
  • SamSam Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    you can say that about any comic.

PA- Photogenic and verbose razor-wits are in some absurd situation that may or may not be tangentially related to a new game or industry news

Calvin and Hobbes- little kid with ADD views everyday life through escapist fantasies

Sam on
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I am surprised Cat and Girl got an honorable mention... it's shit.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    edited January 2010

Bzzzt. Wrong.

Wow, good concept for a joke and the comic just shits all over it by doing nothing at all with it

Just like every other achewood

Rent on
    edited January 2010

So that's what having no idea what you are talking about looks like

Rent on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Look I enjoyed PBF, but the comics author is/was kind of a douche and it didn't run that long with any kind of consistency. It's not the best of the decade, it's like the indy band everyone totally likes because only they know about it for sure.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    Look I enjoyed PBF, but the comics author is/was kind of a douche and it didn't run that long with any kind of consistency. It's not the best of the decade, it's like the indy band everyone totally likes because only they know about it for sure.

I dont think that's the case as PBF is pretty popular among many people of our generation.

mrt144 on
    edited January 2010
    Look I enjoyed PBF, but the comics author is/was kind of a douche
    That has no effect on pbf's quality
    and it didn't run that long with any kind of consistency.
    So? CAD runs consistently, does that make it in contention?
    It's not the best of the decade, it's like the indy band everyone totally likes because only they know about it for sure.
    That complaint makes no sense

Rent on
    edited January 2010

This doesn't make any sense. Individual web comics aren't exactly "mainstream", and PBF has had two books published. People like PBF because it's awesome and hilarious.

geckahn on
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    "Guys seriously it needs to run at least 500 pages of shit before it can be considered a web comic, if it doesn't do that then it's just a good comic c'mon guys I thought you could make the distinction"

Even PBF's bad strips had more layers and were infinitely better than most of the stuff on that poll, especially the ones near the top.

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited January 2010
    go pennyarcade

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Bzzzt. Wrong.

Wow, good concept for a joke and the comic just shits all over it by doing nothing at all with it

Just like every other achewood

That strip is hilarious and you have poor opinions
    Also xkcd is fairly consistently funny and I don't really understand the hate

Crimson King on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I vote for PA over PBF because while PA has some more misses than PBF, that's only because they made more comics. You can't really hold that against PA for being released 3 times a week and maybe 10 strips a year just aren't that funny. And even then, some of the misses just weren't my cup of tea, like Cthullu Christmas, while things like the Lookouts, Armadeaddon and Automata are just knock out of the park good.

And I looked at the last few LICD strips after seeing it so high on that poll, not knowing much about it, and that's not funny. Not funny at all.

TexiKen on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I don't neccesarily care whether or not PA wins, but how is LICD so far ahead of all the good comics? I could understand if there appeared to be a contest there, but it's just so far ahead. It's not reasonable even if you like the comic. PA, Sinfest, and XKCD have at least as much of a following.

MKR on
  • CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    go pennyarcade

I have been swayed by this completely unbiased post.

Cervetus on
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    See, I don't dislike PBF for this because it's over or wasn't long enough or whatever. I won't vote for it because I find most of the comics creepy and/or disturbing and therefore (wait for it) not enjoyable to read. And Achewood has never been funny, ever.

That said, I read or have read half of those comics, and like most of them, so I have no idea how to pick one. Though if S&P were on the list (funny how Milholland abbreviated Something Positive as S&P), I'd probably vote for it.

Captain Carrot on
    edited January 2010
    I sent the link to Tycho this morning, but I think a link from the PA mainpage would kill all the others (by votes) and possibly tax WP's servers.

MKR on
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I voted for PA but I would have been fine with PBF or xkcd being in front. But Least I Could Do? I made a legitimate attempt to read that strip a while back and couldn't. It's just not that good.

Also, Girl Genius is good, I just thought I'd throw that out there. Doesn't seem to be as well known as many of the others but it's a well done comic.

Yougottawanna on
    edited January 2010
    go pennyarcade

Sorry Khoo but I voted PBF already

Rent on
    edited January 2010
    I have to admit
    29c71ms.gif
    got a chuckle out of me.

MKR on
  • Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited January 2010
    Mike and Jerry generally don't do the "post to win something" bit anymore, although that's no guarantee that it won't happen. Online polls are so silly tho - they're so easily manipulated... every one of those comics on that list are posting on their front page telling readers to vote. ah well.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
    edited January 2010
    Mike and Jerry generally don't do the "post to win something" bit anymore, although that's no guarantee that it won't happen. Online polls are so silly tho - they're so easily manipulated... every one of those comics on that list are posting on their front page telling readers to vote. ah well.

except pbf

Arch on
    edited January 2010
    Least I Could Do is fucking boring especially with this unfunny China Trip story arc that just wont die. It's like the fucking Hi and Lois of webcomics. FUCK.

mrt144 on
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Now if we had a poll about who has the best arbitrary rules, I'd vote for silly goose anyday.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
    edited January 2010
    How many panels need to be dedicated to a plane ride?

mrt144 on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I don't really consider webcomics something that I can vote about. Movies are self-contained enough, but as with normal comics once I consider it good I don't see how I would categorize. I mean what's better: Spider-Man or the Fantastic Four?

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.