As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[COH ON]Company of Heroes - Wherein We Grudgingly Accept A Balanced(ish) Game

• TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I got tales of valor over the weekend purely for the convenience of installing the game from steam.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I played one online today, it was sooooo freakin bad. I don't even know how to start playing online. I lost 0-486 or something.
    I AM SO BAD AT THIS GAME

Custom Special on
    XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    man there are so many bugs that sound like they would take maybe a line or three of code to fix

why don't they just get a guy to do that and do minor, tiny updates through Relic Online? I don't understand.

Evil Multifarious on
  • WraithXt1WraithXt1 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    And I dont understand why the game desyncs everyone half the time when someone drops.

Relic is fucking terrible

WraithXt1 on
    WraithXt1.png
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    relic is the perfect, tragic blend of fantastic and terrible that produces an almost-excellent game that is so frustratingly, fundamentally flawed that it ruins everything and you can only see the phantom of true enjoyment laughing at you in the ethereal realm of potentiality

it's like reading hamlet

Evil Multifarious on
  • TekDragonTekDragon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    man there are so many bugs that sound like they would take maybe a line or three of code to fix

why don't they just get a guy to do that and do minor, tiny updates through Relic Online? I don't understand.

Because it takes them 4-12 months to get out even a small patch, and that patch will invariably break half the things it tries to fix.

This isn't hyperbole, it is a repeatedly proven fact.

TekDragon on
  • WraithXt1WraithXt1 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, as much as I love the game, the soviet expansion doesnt really add anything to the game. it's still about who can bullshit and exploit the most. Tonight I was murdered by three roo carriers who took out a panther and a king tiger. WHAT. THE. FUCK.

I'm about to uninstall the game and never go back.

WraithXt1 on
    WraithXt1.png
  • DrakmathusDrakmathus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm a big fan of this game. I play mostly Wehr and I like doing dumb stuff like building nothing but snipers and paks. INVISIBLE ARMY

Drakmathus on
  • ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I've never had the problems with 'roos that people keep complaining about... although I'm big on mines, so if they bumrush me they often end up slowed or stopped entirely. Then they just get picked off by PAKs or tanks. Only times i have problems with 'roos are when I have no PAKS and no mines. Even a few 'shrecks will take them down.

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
    edited January 2010
    The issue comes when one is packed full of PIAT equipped sappers, drives past your base defenses and hulls down in between your buildings. They can shoot at your tanks/what not over buildings with PIATs but you have to have direct line of sight. Best case, you destroy the roo and there are 4 groups of PIAT equipped half health sappers in your base, worst case, no more base.

Drakmathus on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    WraithXt1 wrote: »
    Yeah, as much as I love the game, the soviet expansion doesnt really add anything to the game. it's still about who can bullshit and exploit the most. Tonight I was murdered by three roo carriers who took out a panther and a king tiger. WHAT. THE. FUCK.

I'm about to uninstall the game and never go back.

Well the Soviet "expansion" is actually a mod which appears to get balanced much more often than Relic's factions, at least at this point. I wouldn't go crazy and uninstall when it's been out for about a week.

TychoCelchuuu on
    edited January 2010
    do NOT play high resource games vs. russians. fucking bullshit.

Drakmathus on
  • SherlokSherlok Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So people keep calling something blob, what the hecks a blob?

All the games broken talk makes me scared to play online. Loved the original, but haven't played since before the first expansion. Have there been no community patches/mods to try and rebalance things?

Sherlok on
    edited January 2010
    Drakmathus wrote: »
    do NOT play high resource games vs. russians. fucking bullshit.

Well... yeah. No one plays high resources. The game isn't balanced for it.

TekDragon on
  • MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sherlok wrote: »

It's just a large group of one certain type of unit. For example, a rifle blob is a group of 3 or more American Rifleman squads together. They look kind of like a blob, too.

Melkster on
    edited January 2010

All the games broken talk makes me scared to play online. Loved the original, but haven't played since before the first expansion. Have there been no community patches/mods to try and rebalance things?

A blob is a group of the same unit that is mass selected and ordered to attack.

It's actually an interesting name, because that kind of tactic is the ONLY tactic in a game like Warcraft 3 or Starcraft - games with no cover systems, suppression, or directional fire, or retreat mechanic. Yet because Company of Heroes is such an amazing game with all of these micro-oriented tools at our disposals, players actually get offended when they see a player who simply "box selects" all his units and charges them in.

Usually it's not a problem if you know what you're doing, but a lot of players aren't really sure how to handle a vetted pioneer blob, grenadier blob, or ranger blob. The solution is to not let the blob form in the first place. Engage early, engage hard, and bleed the enemy's manpower and keep them from getting enough reserves to build the blob in the first place. Cap the map to keep them split up, and focus fire on squads to hopefully kill them before they can retreat.

If the blob does form, your best bet is to either out-tech it or out-counter it. Rangers are expensive as FUCK and high maintenance, so just hold your own and do as much damage as you can with mines, flames, and units in cover. Don't use MG42s vs a ranger blob, they'll charge up and nade it. Vetted grenadiers are a bitch, but you can put the hurt on them with BAR rifles backed up with a sniper or two. Vetted flame pio blobs are probably the worst since they're so inexpensive to build, equip, and maintain - and their firepower is insane. Your best bet is to just out-tech it or pray you can hold them off with snipers.

TekDragon on
    edited January 2010
    TekDragon wrote: »

It's actually an interesting name, because that kind of tactic is the ONLY tactic in a game like Warcraft 3 or Starcraft - games with no cover systems, suppression, or directional fire, or retreat mechanic. Yet because Company of Heroes is such an amazing game with all of these micro-oriented tools at our disposals, players actually get offended when they see a player who simply "box selects" all his units and charges them in.

That's a really fascinating point. I'd love to see a real-time strategy game with a more robust economic & building system (on the same levels as Age of Empires 2, for example) with the same level of actual tactical combat - with cover, suppression, unit abilities, etc. That would be brilliant.

Melkster on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

Basically, they made a huge mistake when they made the game - the produced a crapton of different versions for every single provider. When they do one patch, they have to test it on all the different versions and installation types - it's why the patches come out so rarely. They didn't not make that mistake in DoW2, hence the faster (somewhat) updates.

The comment Jonny Ebbert made when I asked him specifically about this was pretty much him going "In retrospect, one of the biggest mistakes we made and I cry manly tears about it".

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Instead GFWL Cert is bogging them down in DoW2.

Frequent mini patches would have been so perfect for Relic, and it was possible through Steam. But alas, it could not be.

Alegis on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Instead GFWL Cert is bogging them down in DoW2.

Yep, but also they (in my mind quite fairly) realised that a lot of balance changes would come with the expansion, so they pretty much devoted all their resources to making sure it releases in as good a state as possible. While polishing the current state of the game might help marginally, it isn't worth it in the long run.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    edited January 2010
    Even without Chaos Rising on its way patches are still too far out. There's always at least 1 major balancing issue with every big relic patch, mini patches would have been perfect. Balance as you go.

Took em a while to get started on DoW 2 because of the major flaws and refusal to balance the other stuff (like melee rape) because the 'balancing data was tainted by the major flaw issue'. Patch issue, wait 2-3 weeks for cert, discover new huge flaw, wait more, fix, cert, consider balancing issues that were apparent from the beginning' etcetc
    Such opportunity lost :(.

Alegis on
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, it's still a shame. In general I think DoW2 should have been another year in the pot, but then again they had set out to crank the game out in 2 years so :/

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    edited July 2010
    RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE

So, Company of Heroes Online beta. Downloaded the thing but waiting for fileplanet to hand out keys to regular members.

What the hell is exactly new?

Alegis on
  • MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh, hey CoH. How are you doing today? Good. We should play sometime.

(To not answer your question, Alegis, I have no idea. Sorry.)

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Alegis wrote: »
    RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE

So, Company of Heroes Online beta. Downloaded the thing but waiting for fileplanet to hand out keys to regular members.

What the hell is exactly new?

wait what

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    edited July 2010
    I don't think anyone really does until we get in the beta. It seems like just a simple rerelease ... but with heroes thrown in, or some crap. Or you only stick to one commander specialization and you 'unlock' the different abilities.

Sounds worse than the regular game. Imagine if there is a Kangaroo Hero specialization.

Alegis on
    edited July 2010
    Malkor wrote: »
    wait what

http://www.companyofheroes.com/
    * Free-to-Play - The frenetic action of the award-winning real-time strategy franchise, in a unique free-to-play experience.

* Command - Build your army and wipe your opponent off of the map with brutal, military precision in up to 8-player online matches.

* Specialize - Choose from six different divisions each with its own combat style and unique Commander Abilities.

* Customize - Enter each battle with your own unique set of Hero units, Army Items, and devastating Commander Abilities.

* Progress - Unlock new upgrades and abilities with every victory, or conveniently purchase items to even the odds.

So some kind of ... persistence built in? But not exactly anything new at all? I don't know. If this thing still has impossible kangaroos and pak bug Relic should be goddamn ashamed.

4k beta keys coming each day over here.
    http://www.fileplanet.com/promotions/company-of-heroes-online/landing-a.aspx

Alegis on
  • MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I was honestly thinking "CoH + BFH" after reading that list.

Man, I should play BFH again sometime too. Slapping tanks over pirate galleons was too much fun.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
    edited July 2010
    This is for the Asian Market. They're trying to monetise it in China, basically.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    edited July 2010
    Keys are now public

http://www.fileplanet.com/promotions/company-of-heroes-online/landing-b.aspx

all you need is a regular fileplanet/d2d/IGN/gamespy/whatever account

Alegis on
  • VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This is for the Asian Market. They're trying to monetise it in China, basically.

So this is effectively "The Land War in Asia"?

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
    edited July 2010
    I like to spam motorcycles and pipe bad to the bone on vent

Drakmathus on
  • PerduraboPerdurabo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hmm, well I'm downloading now. I wish them the best, despite all their failings, I still love the games Relic puts out for the most part. The cover system is aces, so as long as this has that, it could have mecha hitler as an unlockable character and I wouldn't mind.

Perdurabo on
  • PerduraboPerdurabo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    wait, I just realised - they're releasing this on starcraft week.

I'm guessing they're not stress testing the servers then.

Perdurabo on
    edited July 2010
    Tried it for a bit but it had almost no players.

Not sure I really like this level-up concept much either. Unless there is some extra panther spec that I missed because Geeeeeeeerman Steellllllllllllll makes me hard

Alegis on
  • SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Man. Axis are still broken as fuck. Pumas can take on tanks and win now. Not to mention their overwatch ability which gives no warning and will rape your entire army as soon as you pop into enemy territory.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2011
    Company of Heroes Online is shutting down on March 31st.
    On behalf of the entire Company of Heroes team, we want to thank everyone for participating in the Company of Heroes Online Open Beta program. After an exciting period of operating and testing, we will be closing Open Beta on March 31, 2011 to evaluate the next steps for the Company of Heroes series. As of today, you can no longer purchase COHO Cash from the website, but you will be able to spend any purchased COHO Cash in the game until March 31, 2011. We will also honor any COHO Cash Card redemptions on the website until March 1, 2011. For additional information regarding COHO Open Beta, visit the FAQ section.

As a token of our immense gratitude for participating in this Beta program, any player who registered before February 1 can purchase a copy of Company of Heroes Gold Edition for only $4.99 from the THQ online store. In addition to the great gameplay you enjoyed in Company of Heroes Online, the Gold Edition features 17 additional single player missions, a thriving multiplayer community, and 2 additional multiplayer armies – the British and Panzer Elite. Click HERE to get your code for this exclusive offer.

As many of you already know, we recently announced a new patch for the retail versions of Company of Heroes, Opposing Fronts, and Tales of Valor. This patch addresses several multiplayer balance issues, game exploits, and integrates fixes that were made in Company of Heroes Online to our retail game. Stay tuned for more details on the official release date.

We sincerely appreciate your participation, support, and feedback in helping us to design the future of the Company of Heroes franchise. We are excited to reveal the next evolution of the series in the near future.

And some clarification...
    After March 31st there is no more CoHO. People who were registered to play CoHO before TODAY, can buy the retail game for $4.99 if they want, but it's the retail game and not CoHO. The retail game is being patched, and that is to continue.

Melkster on
    edited February 2011
    It's unfortunate that CoHO didn't work out. As far as I know, this is the first genuine real time strategy game that has tried the free-to-play, microtransaction model. We've seen it with MMOs and League of Legends, both of which have proven to be quite profitable. It's a shame that it hasn't worked out with Company of Heroes.

I wonder how this might affect the development of Age of Empires Online.

Melkster on
    edited February 2011
    Wow, those comments
    So Relic used us to find bugs, exploits and balance issues for retail, and then kick us out?
    This must be ilegal, I demand my money refunded. I'm going to make a big deal out of this. I will contact some sort of consumer rights thing.
    Wow I realise this is the internet but I'm genuinely outraged at this.

I spent around $60 on CoHO cash "safe" in the knowledge that there would be no character wipe so the investment would not be wasted on a beta when the game went live.

I also bought about 4 copies of the original game to access exclusive commander unlocks due to the insane system you had but I felt at the time it was money well spent.

Guess the above makes me the worlds biggest mug but whilst I am prepared to lay my cash on the line I learn my lessons well when conned so will never be buying another Relic product in the future.

If there is a class action suite I'm so jumping aboard, the Relic conmen need to be brought to justice and made to pay for the lies they have perpetrated and cash "stolen" from loyal fans of the game.

Shame on you Relic, I hope this fisco brings you down, respect for you is gone as far as I'm concerned.
    Hey Relic/THQ/Noun...

I wanted you to know, that you brightened my day by introducing CoH:O. If something got me down, I'd log on and level some Heroes, craft opening theories, and hang out with friends. To me personally, you've taken that away from my life. Though it isn't much, it was a little slice of heaven for me. And for me to know that March 31st is the final Beta day, in my mind all I hear is "You don't have to go home, but you can't stay here!"

You will lose your fan base for CoH and people will definitely think twice about investing time in your future games. Good Luck Failic/THQ.

Uninstalling CoH:O now!!!
    So you will close COHO ? So thats how you honor Brian Wood ? SHAME RELIC SHAME THQ !

Alegis on
    edited February 2011
    Yeah some of those comments are silly.

I'll miss CoHO though. After playing a round of retail Company of Heroes, I think CoHO offers much greater depth. Many of the hero units were interesting and fun, emphasizing styles of play that aren't easy to pull off in retail (like focusing on mines, for instance, which is what I like to spend munitions on). Many of the hero units were great, like the Assault Jeep. And some of the commander options are simply not available in retail, like infantry camo.

I guess they ended up deciding that it just wasn't profitable for them.

Melkster on