As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Air America and Liberal Talk Radio in General

2»

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2010
    Political ideology is a spectrum with free-shifting end-points. Saying X is liberal is like saying X is a big number. Big compared to what? Liberal compared to what?

Compared to conservative talk radio, NPR is a big ol' hippie love-in of liberalish liberalness. Compared to Air America, it's conservative. Generally speaking, it's as non-biased as media run by human beings can really be, though some of its non-news programs could reasonably be said to have a leftish tilt by American standards.

As to Air America, it was a stupid idea from the start, because it's marketing something to a demographic that doesn't exist. Liberals don't want to listen to people screeching things they already agree with. At least not in large enough numbers to justify a nation-wide program. It's like trying to market a JRPG designed for 80 year old technophobes. "People who like angry screeds 3 hours per day" and "people who self-identify as liberals" are non-intersecting sets.

ElJeffe on
    Maddie: "I named my feet. The left one is flip and the right one is flop. Oh, and also I named my flip-flops."

I make tweet.
  • GalahadGalahad Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Pacifica Radio is still around. We get that in Houston. It seems to be doing fine?

Galahad on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2010
    Galahad wrote: »
    Pacifica Radio is still around. We get that in Houston. It seems to be doing fine?

Not familiar with that one. Is it like Air America?

ElJeffe on
    Maddie: "I named my feet. The left one is flip and the right one is flop. Oh, and also I named my flip-flops."

I make tweet.
    edited January 2010
    Its kinda like NPR. Mix of music/news. Funded mostly by public donations. About as far left of NPR as the AM band is right.

Galahad on
  • Spaten OptimatorSpaten Optimator Smooth Operator Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Air America management fired Sam Seder and Marc Maron (several times!), and then hired Montel Williams.

That pretty much sums it up.

Spaten Optimator on
    edited January 2010
    The history of the Houston station is kind of interesting. Its been shot at and bombed over the years.

The best show on it is probably Technology Bytes, which is a call in computer advice and technology news show that's been going for over ten years now. The Prison Show is also pretty damn interesting some times, and the station has/had several shows that support Houston's gay community that also make for interesting listening. ...all of that is local stuff actually. They also play Democracy Now! and This American Life (which is usually on normal NPR stations anywhere else I've been, but for some reason not here.)

Galahad on