As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade is a contender for Best Webcomic of the Decade

• DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    DeShadowC wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Apparently Mike just couldn't let LICD be named comic of the decade, PA has surged up to number 2, go all the way you beautiful baby.

Tied for first.

Hooray, that means it gained 2% in like 10 minutes.

The front page of the PA site is a hell of a megaphone.

DeShadowC on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If it lasts until tomorrow and Tycho reposts the link the new comic crowd should put up some hefty numbers.

KalTorak on
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Rent wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Talk to him! I know he probably doesn't care about some bullshit poll, but LICD needs to be stopped.

Do it for America.
    Do it for Raptor Jesus.
    Do it for spite.

I don't care what reasons are behind it, but please have them post something on the front page to crush the dreams of that horribad web comic.

It IS on the front page

out of date post is out of date?

Deebaser on
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Talk to him! I know he probably doesn't care about some bullshit poll, but LICD needs to be stopped.

Do it for America.
    Do it for Raptor Jesus.
    Do it for spite.

I don't care what reasons are behind it, but please have them post something on the front page to crush the dreams of that horribad web comic.

It IS on the front page

out of date post is out of date?

Yeah, whoops

It's funny because yours was out of date, then mine's was in telling you it was and blargh blargh blargh inverse world

Rent on
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah judging by the timestamp I was about half an hour late on my call to action. Is this meta?

Deebaser on
    edited January 2010
    Yeah judging by the timestamp I was about half an hour late on my call to action. Is this meta?

I...don't...know....

OH NO
    infinity1.jpg

WE HAVE TO STOP

horror5%20(VERY%20disturbing.%20Hide%20the%20kids'%20eyes).jpg

WE'RE DESTROYING THE

disturbing-anti-smoking-ad.jpg

FOREVER
    silent_hill_2.jpg

OF
    eye34.jpg

FABRIC
    family_cthulu.gif

Rent on
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    PA is ahead by 1% now.

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    BTW, I'm responsible for the current wanging. I'm so proud of myself. Yesterday, I sent a tweet to Gabe and told him I think he needs to wang the poll. Yay for me.

Premier kakos on
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I...don't...know....

OH NO
    infinity1.jpg

WE HAVE TO STOP

horror5%20(VERY%20disturbing.%20Hide%20the%20kids'%20eyes).jpg

WE'RE DESTROYING THE

disturbing-anti-smoking-ad.jpg

FOREVER
    silent_hill_2.jpg

OF
    eye34.jpg

FABRIC
    family_cthulu.gif

TIME SHIP!!! NO TIME!

mrt144 on
  • Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The poll must be for #2, with Achewood presumed #1. That sounds fair.

Torso Boy on
    edited January 2010
    Hey I got sigged

Sweet

Rent on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2010
    I don't think PA is the funniest strip, but I think that given it's consistent quality, its social commentary, and its impact it could reasonably be called the best.

fake edit: Also, I just looked at a few strips of LICD and dear God is that terrible.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    edited January 2010
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I don't think PA is the funniest strip, but I think that given it's consistent quality, its social commentary, and its impact it could reasonably be called the best.

fake edit: Also, I just looked at a few strips of LICD and dear God is that terrible.

So much so you said it twice?

Also, I enjoy you fake editing a post you're probably going to real edit

Rent on
  • InHumanInHuman Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Lack of SMBC or Dinosaur Comics makes this poll obsolete.

InHuman on
  • KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Don't forget its consistent and professional update schedule.

Kilroy on
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Kilroy wrote: »

Which at least gives it a leg up on VGCats

Psychotic One on
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, G&T are basically a class act in every respect.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Actually gives it a leg up on a lot of comics. Mike and Jerry have talked about being consistent with an update schedule and I'll admit I've dropped comics I liked in the past because they just stopped updating at any kind of regularity.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

And almost every other webcomic. VGCats is just special because he will release a preview for his Halloween comic 2 weeks late then tell everyone he's giving up on it because he can't make the deadline on Christmas eve.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I voted for PA the first time, then Hark a Vagrant the second. I do love Cake Bacon.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
    edited January 2010

The PA episode where they talked about how they want to withdraw their name from childs play and just have it be something they support was all class. I can't think of any other web comic person who wouldn't use that as some kind of soap box for pushing bullshit.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ihopiusihopius Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Also, Girl Genius is good, I just thought I'd throw that out there.

Yes it is. Good enough to win a Hugo in fact.

For me it's a toss up between 'Girl Genius' and 'PBF'.

ihopius on
  • Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    anyone who didn't vote for perry bible fellowship is a bad person and has no taste.

Pi-r8 on
    edited January 2010
    Pi-r8 wrote: »
    anyone who didn't vote for perry bible fellowship is a bad person and has no taste.

Posts like these make it easier to not vote for PBF and be glad that Achewood isn't on there.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

No kidding.

"Oh, raising a hojillion dollars for sick kids by funneling our fans money into something other than our own pockets? We can't take credit for that."

I know Gabe and Tycho explicitly want to keep the link between PA and Child's Play weak due to the comic's content, but I think that CP easily puts PA at the #1 spot for the decade.

Delzhand on
  • fjafjanfjafjan Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    PA does have a lot of amazing comics, and I'd say it's pretty much impossible to write a webcomic, or do anything creative, and not miss brutally at least 20% of the time. It's good if it's awesome +20% of the time. And why the fuck is XKCD getting so much shit? There are quite a lot of really good comics there, yes some are creepy, some are just not good, but quite a lot are really amusing, or just interesting, like the LotR chararcter "map". Compare that to the shitfest that is CAD with useless storylines with terrible writing, or Least that is the most obvious and boring kind of comedy.
    The best webcomics of the decade are imo
    PA
    PBF
    SuperMega Comics (yes, it's one of the best. No you havn't heard of it, and you probably won't like it)
    xkcd
    SMBC
    In no particular order, I like them differently on different days.

fjafjan on
    Yepp, THE Fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
    - "Proving once again the deadliest animal of all ... is the Zoo Keeper" - Philip J Fry
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    20090602.gif

Best webcomic of the decade? Really, voters? Really?

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    someone is playing a prank with that vote count.

edit: I would be very happy if Super Mega won and the non-webcomic world saw the article and decided to check it out to see what webcomics were all about.
    That or Oglaf.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Voted for PA, though I've laughed at Hark A Vagrant! and PBF more in recent memory, I think over all PA's been the one I've laughed at most.

And good on the Post for not putting Buckley on the list.

Tam on
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    20090602.gif

Best webcomic of the decade? Really, voters? Really?

24432467.jpg

mrt144 on
  • Samir Duran DuranSamir Duran Duran Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I don't really see what this hubbub about voting for PA because of its impact on society and childs play and whatnot is all about.

PBF may have stopped updating but it made me break out laughing more times than i can count so I think it deserves to win best webcomic. PA has a pretty sweet convention and very good boards but I can't recall the strip itself ever causing me to laugh.

Edit: the above comic is indeed pretty terrible but the writer is surely just making it ironically. I need to believe this.

Samir Duran Duran on
    Ani121OD.pngSpr_3e_121.gifAni121OD.png
  • JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

Sinfest has that too.

Man, this poll was way too hard. I picked Sinfest because it is what got me into the internets in the first place and the artwork is very good. (And I feel really sad because it turns out they got about 1% of the vote)

But that's just personal. PA is honestly the best webcomic right now. Even ignoring the things that are not the comic like the commentaries, the influence, the fora, PAX, Child's Play and all that it is still a very solid comic which gives a consistent enjoyment. It's basically good things combined with good things. The art is maybe outdone by few other comics, as is the humour, but not a single comic I know combines the two like this. Xkcd is funny but it's stickmen, full-page comics updated every month usually lack the fun (spending a week drawing and you couldn't even come up with a good joke??).

If "best" means "best peformer overall" then Penny Arcade is the best webcomic ever.

(Also, LICD is horrible shit and I really hate my friends for liking it.)

Julius on
    edited January 2010
    LOL Penny Arcade is in the lead with 25%!

Deebaser on
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I don't really see what this hubbub about voting for PA because of its impact on society and childs play and whatnot is all about.

PBF may have stopped updating but it made me break out laughing more times than i can count so I think it deserves to win best webcomic. PA has a pretty sweet convention and very good boards but I can't recall the strip itself ever causing me to laugh.

Edit: the above comic is indeed pretty terrible but the writer is surely just making it ironically. I need to believe this.

See that face in the last panel

That's pure, unfiltered smug

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
    edited January 2010

See that face in the last panel

That's pure, unfiltered smug

Not to mention when they got kicked out of a con he went around crying like a silly goose to every board he could find (the LICD guys).

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    InHuman wrote: »
    Lack of SMBC or Dinosaur Comics makes this poll obsolete.

SMBC is almost as bad as PBF. Stupid, tasteless, disgusting "jokes".

Captain Carrot on
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You guys are aware that we're supposed to think that Rayne Summers is an arrogant ass, right? That's where half of the jokes come from. We're not supposed to identify with him or like him.

Captain Carrot on
    edited January 2010
    LICD has won 20% of the vote for the same reason that Two and a Half Men keeps getting renewed. A lot of people like to hear the same joke repeated over and over. I mean, why hear a new joke when you can hear the same one voiced by one of a half-dozen Standard Sitcom Archetypes?

What I like about comics like PA and XKCD is that, even if it's not brilliantly funny, it's 95% likely to be something I haven't seen a hundred times before.

Also, I'm sad that The Abominable Charles Christopher didn't make the list. It's kind of obscure, I guess, but both the art and writing are some of the best on the webs.

ElJeffe on
    edited January 2010
    You guys are aware that we're supposed to think that Rayne Summers is an arrogant ass, right? That's where half of the jokes come from. We're not supposed to identify with him or like him.

Right. It's just that he's a terrifically unfunny arrogant ass.

ElJeffe on
    edited January 2010

Wait the main characters name is Rayne Summers? Wow thats, wow.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net