As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mass Effect 2: New Thread Go!

ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA!Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
edited January 2010 in Games and Technology
masseffect2.jpg

Questions about ME1? Hit the spoiler below!
BlackDove wrote: »
Masseffectlogo.png

Wiki wrote:
Mass Effect is an award-winning, bestselling series of science fiction RPG third person shooters developed by the Canadian company BioWare and released on the Xbox 360 and Microsoft Windows. The first game takes place in the year 2183, with the player assuming the role of an elite human soldier named Commander Shepard, set out to explore the Galaxy on a starship, the SSV Normandy. The Xbox 360 edition was released worldwide in November 2007 published by Microsoft Game Studios. The Windows edition was released on May 28, 2008, published by Electronic Arts. The first downloadable content package, Bring Down the Sky, was released on March 10, 2008 (with a PC version released on July 29, 2008) The second downloadable content package, Pinnacle Station, was released on August 25, 2009 for the PC and Xbox 360.

Essentially everything you need to know about the first Mass Effect game is located here.

Alternately, you can trawl through the old OP.

If you've got Steam issues with the first game, a good place to look for information is by clicking on this sentence.

urlrt.jpg

Release Date:

January 26, 2010 for the Xbox 360 and Turbografx-16 in the US. January 29th for Europe.

Screenshots:

infiltrator01o.jpg infiltrator02o.jpg screenshot053od.jpg screenshot054o.jpg screenshot056o.jpg screenshot058o.jpg m9201o.jpg m9202o.jpg screenshot040oc.jpg

Videos/Media:

Most can be found here.

Interviews and other videos can be found here.

Additional Info:

If you really NEED to contact Commander Shepard, we have his facebook.

masseffectbook.jpg masseffectbook2.jpg masseffectbook3.jpg
Why should you play this game?

Launch Trailer! Some spoilers/reveals

Epic Voice Acting!

Want to know about the classes? Here you go! awesome ost music? yes please
BlackDove wrote: »
vsove wrote: »
The DLC was not finished when the game went to certification. It still has people working on it. This is not a matter of opinion - it is a fact. It's not on the disc because hey, we can't actually control the flow of time, no matter how much we might like to.
FAQ
Q: I can't find any of X element! What planets have a lot of it?
A: DVG made this awesome spreadsheet that is sortable by elements you need!

Q: Is there a point of no return?
A: Yes, spoilers!
The IFF is where the endgame starts. You should have your house in order before you do it. OR ELSE.

Q: A certain character in the bar on Ilium says I did something to him I didn't! What's up with that?
A: Common knowledge says that character is bugged at the moment. It's not just you.

Q: What are the various import bonuses?
A: Players with the "Rich" achievement start with more dollars in the bank. Characters at level 60 start at level 5, 50-59 start at level 3, and characters at least level 40 start at level 2. Apparently there are also hundreds and hundreds of tiny decisions that are brought over from a Mass Effect 1 save, so you really owe it to yourself to have at least one, good save (referred to as a "canon save")

Q: What is the canon for a new, non-imported ME2 character?
A:
If you don't import a character the choices are
Male shep - Ash alive, Fem shep - Kaiden alive
Rachnai queen dead
Wrex killed
Council killed
Udina on the council
No romance
News report done well
Conrad not sent home iirc

Think thats all of them

Q: What do I get to change when importing a character?
A: Class and appearance. Your name and everything else stay the same.

Q: Where are all of those saves for the pc?
A: You can download a bunch of saves for the pc version here.

Q: I heard there was no new game+
A: Actually, there is. They said that a long time ago, but since changed their minds.

Q: Is there a list of achievements?
A: Yes, here.

Q: Do these achievements give bonuses like in Mass Effect 1?
A: No.

Q: How do I redeem Cerberus Network crap?
A: The folks at BioWare had this to say.

Q: Do I have to have an internet connection active to load a save with DLC?
A: No you don't need to stay logged in to xbox LIVE account to use the DLC. You need to start the game with it to log on to to the system to get it, but then you can do like I did and login with the offline account to play once it's downloaded.

Q: What's with all the "silly goose" stuff?
A: Due to new forum rules, the only insult that you can use is "silly goose."

Q: People are always asking me about X. Why isn't it in the OP?
A: While I will try to stay ahead of the curve, sometimes I'll miss stuff in a fast moving thread. The best way to get something added to the FAQ (or OP for that matter) is probably to just PM me. Or just post it a lot. And if you could toss in the A to the Q, that would help out a lot too.

oh, and spoilers? if they'll destroy your experience, try to bag them and tag them. thanks.

OP stolen from Nuzak! Modified by me!

ChaosHat on

• MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I kinda wish I didn't stay a soldier this time around. Limited "ammo" and too few powers.

Morvidus on
  • Cryo84RCryo84R Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So, any word on if resources carry over with a New Game+?

Cryo84R on
    So, I see the caterpillar has emerged from his cocoon...as a shark...with a gun for a mouth.
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Huzzah!

So, anyone else having trouble inputing their digital deluxe codes from Steam? Or maybe I'm not entering it in the right place? http://social.bioware.com/redeem_code.php

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Tali Zorah vas NormandyTali Zorah vas Normandy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Question in the last thread.

No you don't need to stay logged in to xbox LIVE account to use the DLC. You need to start the game with it to log on to to the system to get it, but then you can do like I did and login with the offline account to play once it's downloaded.

Tali Zorah vas Normandy on
    Don't silly goose me.
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Morvidus wrote: »
    I kinda wish I didn't stay a soldier this time around. Limited "ammo" and too few powers.

Plus, when biotic Shepard kills someone with her powers, she yells out "Mind over matter" which is pretty cool. What does soldier Shepard yell? "BULLETS HURT PEOPLE!"

ChaosHat on
  • EriosErios Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So how are vanguards panning out? I played one in the first game but it seemed a bit lackluster. I still am not home so you guys may save me pain and agony!

Erios on
    Steam: erios23, Live: Coconut Flavor, Origin: erios2386.
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Okay so....

Blood Dragon armor.

I gets when?

Assuming there's no word on this, but I'll repost because I actually like the ugly Blood Dragon armor.

GoodKingJayIII on
    edited January 2010
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    Morvidus wrote: »

Plus, when biotic Shepard kills someone with her powers, she yells out "Mind over matter" which is pretty cool. What does soldier Shepard yell? "BULLETS HURT PEOPLE!"

I like Jacob.

"Gravity is one mean bitch!"

Morvidus on
    edited January 2010
    Okay so....

Blood Dragon armor.

I gets when?

Assuming there's no word on this, but I'll repost because I actually like the ugly Blood Dragon armor.

As soon as you travel to the new station to meet the Illusive Man, you can pick it up in your room.

Morvidus on
    edited January 2010
    Cool. Now why the hell can't I input the steam digital deluxe code into the Bioware site?

GoodKingJayIII on
  • WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    What a lame thread title... couldn't think of anything witty?

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Erios wrote: »
    So how are vanguards panning out? I played one in the first game but it seemed a bit lackluster. I still am not home so you guys may save me pain and agony!

Vanguard ability is boring. I am getting way more utility out of Tech Armor as the Sentinel, and can only imagine how awesome Combat Drone is with the Engineer.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Destiny's DesireDestiny's Desire __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    Huh...... So it turns out the collectors are prothean... Didnt see that coming

Destiny's Desire on
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    oh thank the lord.

Bioware finally got the PC Collector's edition thing sorted out. My profile is now showing the Cerb. Network active and I can download the stuff.

ManetherenWolf on
  • langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Cool. Now why the hell can't I input the steam digital deluxe code into the Bioware site?

It's broken. If you click DLC from the launcher it takes you to a page that says something about gnomes getting drunk with steamworks or something. I might try one more time before I go to bed tonight, and if not I'll just hit it in the morning.

It took me three days to finally get all of my DLC when I bought Dragon Age.

I don't know how they did it, but not only does this game look a lot better than the first one, so far it seems to be running a lot better on my PC as well. I'm still very early in the game so that might change, but so far I'm super ecstatic.

langfor6 on
  • übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I figured I'd share this find. Not the best N7 wallpaper, but I found it while looking for the Collector Edition cover as a wallpaper.

http://ikaro-design.deviantart.com/art/Mass-Effect-N7-Wallpaper-151205915

Has anyone checked to see if the Dr. Pepper stuff works without codes like some of the Dragon Age stuff does? I have the 3 installers and the Terminus one, but I'm not bothering to install Terminus until the black magics of the Internet make it work.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Very fun, but easy to get yourself into trouble if you're not careful. Unprepared CQC will get you raped in this game.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So I just realized that I won't be able to play this until like 3 days after release D: Why am I even reading this thread there will be 6 new ones before that!

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • VehemVehem Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    unmarked spoilers

Remember kids, it takes two types of silly to ruin a plot for your self.

One to post unmarked spoilers, and one to click on them anyway :(.

Vehem on
    edited January 2010
    Wishpig wrote: »

"My name's Commander Shepard and this is my favorite game on the Citadel" wouldn't fit.

And if you don't understand why that's a great title, I must just be farther in the game (and having more fun) than you. SO THERE.

ChaosHat on
  • BoredGamerBoredGamer Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Question in the last thread.

No you don't need to stay logged in to xbox LIVE account to use the DLC. You need to start the game with it to log on to to the system to get it, but then you can do like I did and login with the offline account to play once it's downloaded.

Wait, i think i'm being retarded and reading this wrong, but does this mean

Connect to live-start game-download DLC- go offline-play with LIVE profile

Or is it...

Connect to live-start game-download DLC-go offline-play ME2 with a non live account.

BoredGamer on
  • l_gl_g Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Wishpig wrote: »

If you played the game, you'd realize why the thread is titled that way.

Here's a hint:
    ENDORSEMENTS

l_g on
    Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I really dig the Collector Edition armor. Sure it's VERY different, but man, does it look menacing.:twisted:

Scotty on
  • DsmartDsmart Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So.

Does anyone think combat is a bit boring?

Dsmart on
  • fortisfortis OhioRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

Very fun, but easy to get yourself into trouble if you're not careful. Unprepared CQC will get you raped in this game.
    I learned that right away. Used Charge on an enemy and didn't see the three others behind a wall and they shot me down real quick.

fortis on
    edited January 2010
    langfor6 wrote: »

It's broken. If you click DLC from the launcher it takes you to a page that says something about gnomes getting drunk with steamworks or something. I might try one more time before I go to bed tonight, and if not I'll just hit it in the morning.

It took me three days to finally get all of my DLC when I bought Dragon Age.

It's not the end of the world. I'm just a bit surprised because I had absolutely no problems downloading anything for Dragon Age. I'd heard of a few issues, but they seemed isolated. Oh well.

GoodKingJayIII on
    edited January 2010
    Dsmart wrote: »
    So.

It's more fun than it was in the first game, at least I think so.

(Of course I enjoyed the first game immensely)

Scotty on
    edited January 2010
    Dsmart wrote: »
    So.

It's pretty easy yes.

ED! on
    edited January 2010
    So, in critical news, this game is killlllling. 96 average rating over 44 reviews, no review lower than a 90. Good to see it getting the respect it deserves.

ChaosHat on
  • DsmartDsmart Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I thought it was boring the first time around as well. This time there are less skills to use though

Dsmart on
    edited January 2010
    The more I think about it, I realize that I'm in the game for the STORY mostly. The gameplay is great too imo, I enjoy it, but I love the whole story/universe.
    The characters are terrific.
    It all keeps me coming back.

Scotty on
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm still in the process if finishing my ME1 canon run. Unfortunately, Benezia has quite a knack for hitting me with biotics a split second before a cutscene.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Try starting at level 1 on Veteran. It's relatively challenging.

3cl1ps3 on
    edited January 2010
    I'm playing on Veteran, other than the big bad boss fights (who use shield sapping lasers), I've not had much difficulty that wasn't related to my stupidity. The biotic combos work exceptionally well, and almost seem unfair.

ED! on
    edited January 2010
    This badass needs a highly detailed sculpt done of him me thinks. At least a bust.

*Scotty runs off to find any and all reference pics*

mass-effect-2-grunt-screenshot-character.jpg

Scotty on
  • NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I was just wondering about the difficulty. In the first ME cranking up the difficulty was a bit wonky.

I like a challenge, but I don't like cheap instances of getting one-shot by a sniper that you couldn't see.

So should I start on Veteran?

Nocturne on
  • ProtoSoundProtoSound Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Adept or Engineer? Can't decide.

ProtoSound on
    camo_sig.png
  • FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Nocturne wrote: »
    I was just wondering about the difficulty. In the first ME cranking up the difficulty was a bit wonky.

I like a challenge, but I don't like cheap instances of getting one-shot by a sniper that you couldn't see.

So should I start on Veteran?

I'm about an hour into my second playthrough and Veteran seems OK. I actually died when I got sloppy and tried to punch some dudes, which never happened on Normal.

Fats on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If you import a shepard, is that shepard forever locked into whatever class choice you give the new character? Or can you re-import it?

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I just beat the first game, but I have a question: Exactly which save am I supposed to import? The latest one I have is
    At the beginning of the Saren fight, which doesn't take the choice of Anderson/Udina into account.

I had assumed the game would make a "final save", but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Am I supposed to just import the whole career?

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.