As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ubisoft busting out the online DRM beams

surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloveddreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
edited May 2010 in Games and Technology
THREAD RULE: The only aggressive action one user can take against another in this thread is to hug in a confrontational manner.

In a fit of retardation, Ubisoft are busting out one of the most annoying DRM schemes I've seen in a while. Full low-down is here:

http://support.uk.ubi.com/online-services-platform/

But choice quotations:
Is there an "off-line" option?
No. The added services to the game (unlimited installs, online storage of saved games and the fact that you don’t need the game disc to play) require you to have an online connection while playing the game.
What will happen if I lose my Internet connection when I play the game?
If you lose your Internet connection the game will pause while it tries to reconnect. If the Internet Connection is unable to resume you can continue the game from where you left off or from the last saved game.
Will this system be available for every Ubisoft game?
Most upcoming Ubisoft PC games will make use of this system.

It's like they took a look at steam and decided "Hey, that's a pretty good idea - let's make it worse!"

Is anybody as cheesed off by this as I am, being a person who lives with internet that regularly fails? :/

obF2Wuw.png
surrealitycheck on

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Well, all that means is I won't buy any Ubisoft... titles...

Assassin's Creed II is gonna have this, isn't it?

God damnit. :(

Suriko on
  • Options
    ElitistbElitistb Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I don't like the idea of saves that aren't on my computer. Seriously, my cable line gets downed and suddenly I can't load?

Elitistb on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I don't like the idea of saves that aren't on my computer. Seriously, my cable line gets downed and suddenly I can't load?

A cracked version will actually be the only version you can play when offline. HOW RAD IS THAT

YES GUYS THE BEST WAY TO STOP PEOPLE PIRATING YOUR SOFTWARE IS TO MAKE IT THE ONLY OPTION WHEN THEY DON'T HAVE INTERTUBES

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    As much as I want to say "well everyone has internet now" that really isn't the point. What if I want to play on my laptop or like you said my net goes down?

Also this:
    If the Internet Connection is unable to resume you can continue the game from where you left off or from the last saved game.

So if I don't save often during a long play session or the game doesn't autosave I could lose hours of progress? Bullshit.

Also how are unlimited install and online saves added services? Last time I checked I can install the rest of my games as many times as I want. Why would I even want to upload my save files?

I have no doubt this will be cracked wide open, just punishing the consumer.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Eh, we've already been discussing this in the Steam thread. Concensus is that it's retarded. However, I'm going to be honest and say I can't see this thread going anywhere good, instead branching off into the following areas:

- DRM is necessary > flamewar

- DRM is evil > flamewar

- This isn't bad at all you whiner > flamewar

- PC gaming is dying > flamewar

- PC gamers are pirates and this was brought on by yourselves > flamewar

- PC gamers are entitled bitches > flamewar

Let me know if I missed anything.

subedii on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Man, it's all about the awareness-raising.

Actually I pretty much just watted so hard when I read the terms and conditions I felt I had to share this to see if it wasn't just me who thought it was jaw-droppingly dumbo-stupid.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Man, it's all about the awareness-raising.

Actually I pretty much just watted so hard when I read the terms and conditions I felt I had to share this to see if it wasn't just me who thought it was jaw-droppingly dumbo-stupid.

Well like I said, most people on the Steam thread seem to feel it's equally retarded. You're not the only one who feels this is yet another stupid attempt at DRM that misses the point. Problem is when you try to convince other people there's inevitable some guy who'll come in and spout off the usual kick off lines about "necessary measures, protecting investments" and "stop complaining about nothing", other people say that's not what the issue is or start off flaming poster number 1, and then the whole thing usually descends into RAAAAAAAGGGGEEEEEE.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    One sec I have a solution. You will be amazed when you see it

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hey, it's not as stupid as that one where your game wouldn't start if you had Microsoft Process Explorer installed, or that one that crippled your disc drive and if you fixed it it would go back to crippled every time you start the game.

Still pretty stupid, though. Somebody over there needs to learn the definition of "BTO vulnerability"

Daedalus on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    so when this inevitably gets cracked, the legal users will be the ones fucked the most again?

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    so when this inevitably gets cracked, the legal users will be the ones fucked the most again?

Why, it's almost as if we've seen this before.

Several times.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The disconnect between the people making the decisions and the reality of the situation seems almost unreal.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If they're so intent on reducing download numbers without a care for their customer userbase or product they might as well simply make a shit game no one would even bother to download and "save money" on dev costs. With an extra $10 on top for the silly gooses that do happen to buy it.

Great success!

Alegis on
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    GTA IV was a far, far superior game once cracked. Saves were located in a sensible directory (My Documents/My games/GTA IV/), mods were available, no Social Club, no Games for Windows Live. Almost like a different game.

Made me regret paying $100 (damn you, Australia) a lot less.

Suriko on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    One sec I have a solution. You will be amazed when you see it
    THREAD RULE: The only aggressive action one user can take against another in this thread is to hug in a confrontational manner.

:^:

subedii on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If I bought a game with this and my internet connection is fine, but the service is down for maintenance or something when I want to play, I'd be annoyed.

Peewi on
  • Options
    General_WinGeneral_Win Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I would like to see the game they think people will tough this out for.

When Blizzard makes dumb decisions about how they're going to release SC2 its okay, because people are going to buy SC because its SC.

What game do they think they make where people are going to over look this and be like: welp it can't be that bad.

General_Win on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Um... Trackmania 2?

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    subedii wrote: »
    Eh, we've already been discussing this in the Steam thread. Concensus is that it's retarded. However, I'm going to be honest and say I can't see this thread going anywhere good, instead branching off into the following areas:

- DRM is necessary > flamewar

- DRM is evil > flamewar

- This isn't bad at all you whiner > flamewar

- PC gaming is dying > flamewar

- PC gamers are pirates and this was brought on by yourselves > flamewar

- PC gamers are entitled bitches > flamewar

Let me know if I missed anything.

Ooooo! I'd like to take options two, with the concession that four is happening. I'd also like to add six to make sure I fully instigate the flame war. Aaand I'll toss in a "console gaming is superior to PC gaming you guys are teh succk!" just to make sure.

*hugs confrontationally*

Mace1370 on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

When Blizzard makes dumb decisions about how they're going to release SC2 its okay, because people are going to buy SC because its SC.

What game do they think they make where people are going to over look this and be like: welp it can't be that bad.

SC is mainly played online anyways..

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Mace1370 wrote: »

Ooooo! I'd like to take options two, with the concession that four is happening. I'd also like to add six to make sure I fully instigate the flame war. Aaand I'll toss in a "console gaming is superior to PC gaming you guys are teh succk!" just to make sure.

*hugs confrontationally*

Sir, your order qualifies for the Mega Flame Bucket package. Please enjoy this complimentary zippo and oil drum.

Alegis on
  • Options
    strebaliciousstrebalicious Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Whoever came up with this thing is a ruh-tard.

I just love how they consider unlimited installs and ability to play without a disc as 'added services'.

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The thing that annoys me is that publishers know that DRM doesn't stop piracy. The problem is, they have a duty to please their shareholders, who know nothing about the gaming industry. They go, "I heard that piracy is a problem! What are you doing to prevent it?" The publisher feels they can't say "Nothing!" and expect their share prices to remain high.

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
  • Options
    Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The thing that annoys me is that publishers know that DRM doesn't stop piracy. The problem is, they have a duty to please their shareholders, who know nothing about the gaming industry. They go, "I heard that piracy is a problem! What are you doing to prevent it?" The publisher feels they can't say "Nothing!" and expect their share prices to remain high.

I think also that they hope such DRM will be annoying enough to crack that some people break down and buy the game before their DRM is broken.

Mace1370 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

There are other anti-piracy measures besides this. I mean Bioware went with installation limits on ME1. After feedback from the community they've removed those (and the online verification) for ME2, and are just going with a simple disc check. Similar with Bethesda and Fallout 3. Those are freaking huge titles too.

A more effective means of maximising your profit on the platform is to simultaneously ship, instead of delaying for months on end because of fears that piracy will kill your console sales as well. There's no point in waiting past the point where all the hype has gone, all the advertising's been forgotten, and there are new exciting games being released at the same time whilst nobody even knows you're releasing a new port.

subedii on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    this will obviously stop piracy dead in it tracks

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    General_WinGeneral_Win Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

SC is mainly played online anyways..

Diablo3 or whatever else they have. You know what I mean.

General_Win on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Also mainly played online. People (at least myself) do not really care about having to be online to play SC or Diablo, because it's about the same as if they told you "You have to be online to play World of Warcraft!"
    You have to anyways

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    subedii wrote: »

There are other anti-piracy measures besides this. I mean Bioware went with installation limits on ME1. After feedback from the community they've removed those (and the online verification) for ME2, and are just going with a simple disc check. Similar with Bethesda and Fallout 3. Those are freaking huge titles too.

While install limits is a bad thing, I prefer online activation to disc checks. I'm lazy. Sometimes too lazy to get up from my chair to fetch a disc if I want to play a game and I thought it was really nice that ME1 didn't require having the disc in the drive.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    While install limits is a bad thing, I prefer online activation to disc checks. I'm lazy. Sometimes too lazy to get up from my chair to fetch a disc if I want to play a game and I thought it was really nice that ME1 didn't require having the disc in the drive.

There's steam for ME2 though, so all is good for lazy peewi.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    TurboGuardTurboGuard Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The only way to "stop" piracy is for developers to stop being lazy, selfish asshats and actually put care into the games they create and give their audience lots of goodies/good online support/etc.

Too bad those days are long gone, and it seems like the consumers even welcome all this new bullshit with open arms (yes, even on gaming elitist online groups such as these here).

Sometimes I wish I could get stuck in a Groundhog Day-esque time loop from 1990 to 2000.

Ah, those were the days.

TurboGuard on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I made a game with the ultimate DRM scheme.

See, when you install it, it detects if you're installing it to a computer. If it finds that you're installing the game to the computer it formats all HDDs and then shred-writes them, making data recovery near impossible.

I can conclusively say that this has stopped 100% of all pirates from pirating my game.

Unfortunately, Norton doesn't like my game :_(

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Well, I was a bit excited to play AC2 on my PC. No access to my 360 here, but have been gaming on my capable-enough laptop to make up for it.

Then Ubi announces that AC2 will be $60 on the PC...which is a bit confounding but no real loss to me since I'll just wait the obligatory 6 months before it goes on sale for $20 or less on Steam.

Then Ubi announces this...and well, now the game is out of the cards for me. I don't have permanent internet access. I can connect reliably for an hour or so a day. So, now my plan is to wait the whole thing out, and buy it a year or two down the line when either Ubi or some enterprising individuals strip this out. AC2 isn't even a multiplayer game so the incentive to leave the game pristine and grudgingly accept this simply isn't there.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    A year or two? I give this about 6 hours before someone cracks it.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Then Ubi announces this...and well, now the game is out of the cards for me. I don't have permanent internet access. I can connect reliably for an hour or so a day. So, now my plan is to wait the whole thing out, and buy it a year or two down the line when either Ubi or some enterprising individuals strip this out.

Try a week, two weeks tops. I'm not even joking.

subedii on
  • Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I find myself hoping strongly that I will not find any games I want to buy from Ubisoft in the near future... as this seems rather Idiotic. I have a decent internet connection, so connecting will not be an issue, but considering what they think is a Service, I worry about further requirements they may add to the DRM.

Example: to play this game you must pat your head while saying Ubisoft is king into the microphone.

stopgap on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It wouldn't suprise me if AC2 is leaked a week before retail with this already cracked.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So then I assume this means that Ubisoft can never EVER have their servers down, lest they face some sort of litigation (needless or otherwise) regarding a game that was purchased that can't be played?

Or did I read it wrong? There's a bullet point in the OP that says that if your internet dies during a session, you can keep playing? So I assume you need a DRM online check at the start of a session and then periodically throughout, but the starting one is the most important?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Oh, I didn't mean it wouldn't be cracked immediately. But I'm still going to buy the game (as opposed to pirating), just not until it is some piddly amount like $10 or $15; maybe by then Ubi will have seen the error of their ways and removed the DRM like other devs/pubs, or cracking it will be documented enough that I can do it without issue.

Edit: cooljammer00, I had to read that bit over again as well, and I think it is saying that if your connection drops, it'll pause the game and try to reconnect. If that doesn't work, the game is borked until it can but you will be able to pick up from where you left off once everything is working again.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Oh, I didn't mean it wouldn't be cracked immediately. But I'm still going to buy the game (as opposed to pirating), just not until it is some piddly amount like $10 or $15; maybe by then Ubi will have seen the error of their ways and removed the DRM like other devs/pubs, or cracking it will be documented enough that I can do it without issue.

Your not purchasing the game lowers total sales.

Sales are only ever lower than expected because of piracy.

Therefore, stricter DRM is needed.

subedii on