As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hates, Hopes, and Happy Holidays

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Samphis wrote: »
    Hate: The prices on the Tier 10 gear. That'd take me like six months of just my 2 emblems/day and the occasional week I can find a pug for the weekly. Tier9 looks like my plateau.

I figured that out in that first week they were offered
    I am missing 22 tokens from missed weeklys and daily runs other wise I would have nearly 3 pieces of that sweet gear

Well, the idea of Tier gear is that you're getting most of your badges from actual raiding, which is where the tier gear comes from. The 2/day and weekly raid is just helping people out. I mean, if you're not raiding, what do you want the tier gear for?

Langly on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Langly wrote: »
    Hate: The prices on the Tier 10 gear. That'd take me like six months of just my 2 emblems/day and the occasional week I can find a pug for the weekly. Tier9 looks like my plateau.

I am missing 22 tokens from missed weeklys and daily runs other wise I would have nearly 3 pieces of that sweet gear

Well, the idea of Tier gear is that you're getting most of your badges from actual raiding, which is where the tier gear comes from. The 2/day and weekly raid is just helping people out. I mean, if you're not raiding, what do you want the tier gear for?

Raiding on Windrunner is a who can fill a pug first outside of the two guilds that really do raid
    What i want it for is because it's a vast improvement over most of the gear
    I have a feeling the 80ish in Cata will suck and various other reasons

Brainleech on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    FightTest wrote: »
    Hate: Why the fuck did they have to put both the only decent pre-raid tank cloak and the only decent pre-raid str dps cloak in regular HoR? That is some shit. Even if I queue as a tank for it there's rarely a healer in line to ever do it, and the few times I have run it I've seen neither drop.

That is a very good question
    Why is the sheild that drops on regular better than most of the raid ones?

Brainleech on
  • Thomase1984Thomase1984 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    mattclem wrote: »
    Hope: My ambitious project comes to fruition. Since Festergut-25 is a pretty good DPS check (some small luck factors, but nothing that would absolutely cripple someone's performance), I'm trawling through World of Logs digging out Festergut-25 kills that run close to the enrage and have a group member of a given class/spec with a be.imba score between 625-675 (so roughly the same gear level as our guildies) and about 7k dps. Posting this on our guild forum with a comment along the lines "Figure out what they're doing that you're not, and fix it". I am trying to do this for every DPS class/spec combination.

Haylp: If you've got a WoL that shows what some of those classes should be able to do in that rough gear level, I'd love to see it.

Hate: The fact that we need it.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-qltkfgcazf6ram15/sum/damageDone/?s=4942&e=5236

WTB competent warlocks. Among other things, but yeah. For the record, I am Matthias. Technically I would have been able to hold threat against one of the warlocks *without any tanking threat bonusses*. I know the tank buff helps our overall DPS, but come *on*.

Hmm: The paladin nearby was the other tank. He went first, so took two loads of the full DPS buff over the fight. I wonder why I ended up with more DPS.

Guilty: I'm a tank. I shouldn't be caring about DPS. But I *know* I can break 5000.

It's like looking into a mirror.

Thomase1984 on
  • ArkanArkan Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I've always found HoR to be pretty fun, myself; but I'm also insane as has been proven by my having multiple level 70+ paladins and my general demeanor.

Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Langly wrote: »

It'd be nice to still have progression, even if I can't do hardcore PVE. As it stands, I have Tier 9, the Frost Libram and Cloak and a couple drops from ICC10, and that's as good as I'm going to get until Cataclysm. I still pug a few raids here and there, but I can't really dedicate the time to it that I want to. At least I'll have PVP progression again whenever they get around to starting the next season.

Samphis on
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    happy: After I get the Saronite Swordbreakers made I can focus on getting better gems for my DK Tank. switching from the cheapo 24STA to epic 30STA should push me into the low 30k mark with the gear I have now.

hope: The Back Heart drops soon.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • ExistentialSoundandFuryExistentialSoundandFury Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Forar wrote: »
    Swapping specs killing my Righteous Fury / Frost Presence / Whatever drives me up the wall.

At least I'm finally getting better about putting Vigilence on someone at the start of a run, though I'll only end up shifting it if that person proves to be a giant pile of fail.

However, unless they're doing absolute shitloads more damage than anyone else, I usually give preference to ranged classes, particularly Warlocks. Hunters almost never get it. Learn to feign and/or misdirect, you silly geese.

Actually for me it depends on my goal, if I'm struggling to keep aggro, a Hunter is a fine choice because they have absolutely no threat reduction and FD doesn't matter as far as Vigilance is concerned. If I need to keep one sociopath dps in check, then they're the better choice.

Typically I just go for the highest threat class and don't fret too much about their ability to control their threat.

ExistentialSoundandFury on
    399831.jpg
  • TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Although threat should never be a problem, unless game mechanics have changed since vanilla that I am completely ignorant too, vigilance is better put on a melee dps because they only need to achiev 15% of your current threat to pull, vs ranged who require 30%. This is not based on a per class basis but by actual range from target.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The cloaks in HoR thing also reminds me that for some reason, the first boss in HoR on both normal and heroic can drop Enhancement/Hunter boots. Way to divide up where stuff comes from, Blizzard.

Of course Heroic Tyrannus can drop both a tanking and DPS plate chest piece, and Devourer of Souls can drop plate tanking and DPS boots. Ugh.

Yay/Ugh:I started my runs pretty late last night because I was messing around with encoding my anime episodes correctly to be able to be played on Xbox/PS3. Then I ran FoS, PoS and HoR on my healy shaman, had some ok luck, getting the Enhancement Belt and Boots I wanted, and even some gauntlets from the chest at the end of HoR, and the HoR run wasn't even that hard.

So it's already late but I figure I should get my random daily done to get those Frost Emblems going, I get HoL. Bah, alright. We get in, the marker says the Paladin with 24k HP is the tank. Eh, alright, going a bit old school for this, that's fine. Then he switches to prot and apparently switches a couple of pieces of gear and goes up to about 26k, ending up around 28k with Sanctuary up. Well that's no problem, I thought.

Unfortunately, the Paladin wasn't exactly that good at holding aggro for some reason. He had RF up, but I noticed a bit later he was using Seal of Command, which still should've been fine. He just lost mobs quite frequently. Wasn't really a problem, the 3k DPS warlock had like 26k HP, the Hunter could feign if he needed to and the DK could take a hit, so I kept them all up easily enough.

In the hallway of statues after the second boss, he didn't seem all that ready for the statues but we did ok, except that on the last set, he ran straight though and aggroed the air elemental stuff, completely ignoring the last group of statues. I didn't really have time to type anything, the DK ended up dying, but we made it out of the pull after that. This is when I noticed that the Paladin was using Ret Aura as well, I suggested that he switch to Devo (he was a *little* squishy and I think it would've helped), but he argued with me that it was for threat and the DPS were all attacking different things.

After the third boss, we killed the golems, then instead of waiting for the Vanguard patrol that comes around, he ran down to fight one of the groups of three down the steps and let the Vanguard come right up behind us. That got a bit chaotic, but we made it through alright. We did one more pull of the three dwarves, finished it, then were waiting for him to pull the next Vanguards when they got close, when all of a sudden he leaves the instance without a word and leaves the party. Gah.

We waited in queue a few minutes, got another Paladin, Warlock summoned her up to where we were and we murdered Loken in no time. Was just weird.

Dranyth on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Although threat should never be a problem, unless game mechanics have changed since vanilla that I am completely ignorant too, vigilance is better put on a melee dps because they only need to achiev 15% of your current threat to pull, vs ranged who require 30%. This is not based on a per class basis but by actual range from target.

Pedantic nitpicking; I believe it's 110%, not 115%, unless that was changed sometime in the past year.

However, as someone that raided as a rogue for 4 years, my empathy towards melee is pretty minimal. I take a somewhat more "sink or swim" approach to them. Warriors I do watch out for a little, but most of the pug DPS I run with are "lawl what's threat? I haz whirlwind wheeee!" types that need to be taught a lesson, or are so badass that they can officially be considered offtanks.

And I do agree that the highest dps/threat class is probably worth looking at, but I'm only going so far to coddle people. Skilled and/or geared players who put out massive dps are worthy of a little extra protection no matter what they're playing, but asshats that just draw aggro because they can are promoted to off-tank whether they can survive it or not.

... I think hitting the LFD system hard has made me significantly more ruthless in WoW than I'm accustomed to being.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    edited January 2010
    That's probably right. My warrior is fury speced with glyphs and talents for cleave. I do roflcopter dps on 3+ mobs and tend to die often. More mobs hitting me = more rage = more dps. I love bad tanks and good healers!

Rogues should never die though. Cloak of Shadows, Feint (for AOE effects) vanish immuning AOEs, threat drop.. tricks..

Bad rogues die. Good rogues laugh.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Really good rogues just evasion tank when necessary.

(Edit: especially raid bosses >.> )

So much stuff in heroics is still stunnable, evasion/cloak tankable and even gougeable that most rogues that die either got unlucky or just failed to appreciate their own mortality in favour of fapping over the damage meter.

Dead dps'ers deal 0 damage. Those 5 points would've probably been better spent on a kidney shot than an eviscerate, but no, instead you did another 10k or whatever damage, and you're dead with the mob at 10%.

A pity, really.

Oh well, pick them up and let's go find something else for them to die on.

I guess rampant tanking has made me focus more on bosses (things I consider actually dangerous to non-tanks) whereas on trash, well, I do my best to hold onto everything at once, but the odds are that all the dps will be functionally retarded, grab different things, and if they hit it hard enough, they might just get more than they wanted.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    edited January 2010
    They nerfed Evasion tanking pretty hard in the ICC raid instance. With evasion up my dodge chance is like 50%? I was only able to tank Rotface for 5 seconds before he one hit me :(

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Forar wrote: »

Pedantic nitpicking; I believe it's 110%, not 115%, unless that was changed sometime in the past year.

However, as someone that raided as a rogue for 4 years, my empathy towards melee is pretty minimal. I take a somewhat more "sink or swim" approach to them. Warriors I do watch out for a little, but most of the pug DPS I run with are "lawl what's threat? I haz whirlwind wheeee!" types that need to be taught a lesson, or are so badass that they can officially be considered offtanks.

And I do agree that the highest dps/threat class is probably worth looking at, but I'm only going so far to coddle people. Skilled and/or geared players who put out massive dps are worthy of a little extra protection no matter what they're playing, but asshats that just draw aggro because they can are promoted to off-tank whether they can survive it or not.

... I think hitting the LFD system hard has made me significantly more ruthless in WoW than I'm accustomed to being.

It's terrible I know, I've seen DPS pull aggro by attacking something I haven't even looked at yet and both of my taunts were mysteriously on cooldown the entire time it was killing him. Sad isn't it? :(

Nobody on
  • PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I've accidently exorcismed something that wasn't in the group we were fighting. Fortunately I'm able to "offtank" for awhile.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2010
    Gah, I don't know how many times I've seen DKs mash Death Coil so hard that after the last mob dies, they target and throw one at another pack entirely. Too often, that's for sure. Hunters tabbing and shooting after the last mob dies is annoying as fuck too.

Dranyth on
    edited January 2010
    Dranyth wrote: »
    Gah, I don't know how many times I've seen DKs mash Death Coil so hard that after the last mob dies, they target and throw one at another pack entirely. Too often, that's for sure. Hunters tabbing and shooting after the last mob dies is annoying as fuck too.

I'm guilt of this.

To be fair, I have no idea why blizz thought this targeting system was a good idea.

Arkan on
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • Thomase1984Thomase1984 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I evasion tanked rotface last night into a kill ;)

Thomase1984 on
    edited January 2010
    I evasion tanked rotface last night into a kill ;)

Our first 25 man Heartbreaker was evasion tanked by a rogue after XT enraged and killed the tank. I don't think the rogue will ever let us forget it.

Nobody on
  • PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The last time I evasion tanked something to where it made a difference was the last bit on maiden in kara.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2010
    Back in TBC some rogue tanked Gruul and Shaharaz in BT by stacking agility and using a particular combination of buffs/debuffs that let him hit 102.4% avoidance and become unhittable.

Blizzard announced avoidance DR a week or two later.

Arkan on
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Arkan wrote: »
    Back in TBC some rogue tanked Gruul and Shaharaz in BT by stacking agility and using a particular combination of buffs/debuffs that let him hit 102.4% avoidance and become unhittable.

Blizzard announced avoidance DR a week or two later.
    The video of the Gruul kill was awesome, he's huge at (I think) thirty growths, then after that he shrinks back down to zero. :^:

815165 on
  • MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hated: forgetting to put on frost presence, earthliving/flametounge weapon, seeing when water/earth shield was down

Happy: found the powerauras mod, it lets you check your self/party members for specific buffs, can set it up to only check when in a certain talent spec etc etc. You can have it display a simple text warning, or fill up your screen with a customizable icon, and anything in between.

Hope: some of the other silly geese complaining about said issues find this and become addicted.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • JadedJaded Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Madpanda wrote: »
    Happy: found the powerauras mod, it lets you check your self/party members for specific buffs, can set it up to only check when in a certain talent spec etc etc. You can have it display a simple text warning, or fill up your screen with a customizable icon, and anything in between.

As the writer of "Life in Group 5" says about Power Auras mod:
    "In my UI, I’ve set up a designated area above my Quartz castbars to serve as my pseudo heads-up display, with slots for each of the above warnings (also shown at right). The benefit of these visuals is that they won’t go away until I take care of them; much like a nagging wife who won’t leave the room until you take out the trash, forcing me to either handle it or be generally annoyed until I do."

Jaded on
    I can't think of anything clever.
  • rizriz Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

At the risk of sounding like an elitist douche, it's not for you. Or rather, not intended to let people who just do heroics gather a full set of raid gear in a short time period. Frost emblems from heroics is there to give people a reason to run heroics, get some tier (eventually) or pick up off-slot pieces they might have trouble with otherwise (rings, trinkets, whatever else they put on that vendor). Maybe they shouldn't even put current tier on the emblem vendors, as it frustrates non-raiders who think it's too slow and unfair, and frustrates raiders who have to fit heroics in with their possibly demanding raiding schedule to keep up.

Jaded wrote: »

Hahah that is an amazingly inspired blog name. Though I myself am rarely in group 5 anymore, since I don't need mana tide most of the time. :(

PierceNeck wrote: »
    Why do tanks that leave a group think/say things like, "Enjoy your queue!". It's like, ok yes I'll enjoy my minute or two wait since my group is now at the top of the list.

It doesn't make sense in that situation... though it does when a DPS is whining about something (skipping a boss, carrying a bad alt) and the tank/healer plan to do it their way. DPS who don't like it are free to leave but they're the ones who have to wait for the debuff to wear off and then wait in the queue again.

riz on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I'm guilt of this.

To be fair, I have no idea why blizz thought this targeting system was a good idea.

A lot of times that's actually the Sudden Death talent proccing. If your target dies right as it does, it will choose a random target in range. Sometimes it's not what you want.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2010

I'm guilt of this.

A lot of times that's actually the Sudden Death talent proccing. If your target dies right as it does, it will choose a random target in range. Sometimes it's not what you want.

Really? That's interesting. I don't think I played with my DK as blood long enough to notice that. It almost seems like a bit of a bug, since isn't Sudden Doom just supposed to fire a Death Coil *at* the target that got hit by the Heart Strike? If that target is dead, it seems like it shouldn't do anything, not just fire off at the next nearest it can find.

Dranyth on
    edited January 2010

I'm guilt of this.

Really? That's interesting. I don't think I played with my DK as blood long enough to notice that. It almost seems like a bit of a bug, since isn't Sudden Doom just supposed to fire a Death Coil *at* the target that got hit by the Heart Strike? If that target is dead, it seems like it shouldn't do anything, not just fire off at the next nearest it can find.
    It happened to my wife a lot. When she was running my mage through Ramps on her DK, she would just be standing there lazily heartstriking shit, when a deathcoil would just fly out at a right angle to her and pull another pack.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I don't think I've ever experienced that.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • NeylaNeyla Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Jaded wrote: »
    Madpanda wrote: »

As the writer of "Life in Group 5" says about Power Auras mod:
    "In my UI, I’ve set up a designated area above my Quartz castbars to serve as my pseudo heads-up display, with slots for each of the above warnings (also shown at right). The benefit of these visuals is that they won’t go away until I take care of them; much like a nagging wife who won’t leave the room until you take out the trash, forcing me to either handle it or be generally annoyed until I do."

I like how you bolded that part dearest.... I want a perky pug on my druid now. Tonight even. :P

Happy: Forgot to check the tracking on my authenticators since I seen so much "omg took weeks to get", so on a whim I decided to check and seen they had tried to delivery them twice. So now i get to pick them up after work tonight :) well... he will pick them up after work tonight.

I am amazed it took less then 7 days to get :D

Neyla on
    13142111181576.png
  • GnutsonGnutson Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Neyla wrote: »

Mine was like 3 days, and they left it on the doorstep. Guess that's what I get for living in the sticks :p

Gnutson on
    Erai - Operative <--Imperial Double Agent--> Sniper - Eari
    SW:Tor - Tao - Kryatt Dragon Server
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I got mine yesterday in my mailbox, so 6 days from purchase, 4 of those being weekdays.

Opty on
  • NeylaNeyla Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Gnutson wrote: »

Mine was like 3 days, and they left it on the doorstep. Guess that's what I get for living in the sticks :p

Pffft. Hillbillie.

I suppose I should say 3 business days since i ordered it on the 20th and they first tried to deliver it on the 25th.

Now not to lose the thing, think i may just tape it to my PC case.

Neyla on
    13142111181576.png
  • JadedJaded Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Gnutson wrote: »

Didja teach your boy to play duelin' banjos yet?

Jaded on
    I can't think of anything clever.
    edited January 2010
    hmm, ordered mine on the 20th too. Maybe it'll reach me today.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This is a good day: Deathbringer's Will and a Stakethrower!

Although, now I need to be responsible and bring like 6 stacks of ammo to raids... always just made arrows on the fly when I needed to... fuck, I need me a Zod's.

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Cautiously Optimistic: Well the day after I attached my authenticator to my account they finished the recovery, I can't wait to get home to verify if everything's accounted for.

Opty on
  • SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Happy: Picked up my 264 Cloak. So that's the cloak and the libram so far with Frosties. Next, I think I'll snag the Herkumi War Token. In a month. Eh.

Samphis on
    edited January 2010
    Hate: get through the front 4 bosses no problem, then the instance servers go to shit and we can't even do festergut, let alone rotface.

Nobody on
This discussion has been closed.