As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Online Card & Boardgames thread!

Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insultedwhen I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Games and Technology
DISCLAIMER: All boardgame PC ports mentioned in this thread have the permission of the respective publisher.

Well, today I discoverd the wondeful world of free online boardgames, and I figured, hey, maybe it's time for another boardgame thread to share these games with my fellow PAers. So, here we go:

Race to the Galaxy

Currently sits at the number 12 spot in the list of the best games over at BoardGameGeek. Its theme is "to build galactic civilizations via game cards that represent worlds or technical and social developments". It's also quite complicated and seemingly hard to get into.

Luckily, some lad over at http://keldon.net has made a full-fledged PC version of the game and its two addons, with all the original rules and card art, and a malicious computer AI on top of it. Seriously, it makes even the toughest men cry.

thumb.jpg

Download it here:

http://keldon.net/rftg/

No dice how to play? No worry, here's a pdf with all the game rules you need:

http://www.riograndegames.com/uploads/Game/Game_240_gameRules.pdf

for the addons:

http://www.riograndegames.com/uploads/Game/Game_253_gameRules.pdf

http://www.riograndegames.com/uploads/Game/Game_301_gameRules.pdf

---

And when you feel ready to measure your skills against real players - visit http://genie.game-host.org/main.htm. Apparently you can improve the speed of the site by following these instructions.

Blue Moon

"Based in a unique fantasy setting, Blue Moon simulates the struggles of the various peoples who live in the Blue Moon world. Each people has its own unique traits and gameplay mechanics, and is represented by a 30 card deck."

Blue_Moon_Card_Game.gif

Haven't tried it yet, but the game seems to be kind of Magic-ish, you pick a faction and stomp your opponent. Looks like good fun! I'll search for the game rules and add them to the OP later. For now, try to improvise!

You can download it from http://keldon.net/bluemoon/ as well, with working AI enemies.

Brettspielwelt.de

(don't be afraid, we are not all the Nazis)

http://www.brettspielwelt.de/?nation=en

Client: http://www.brettspielwelt.de/Data/BrettspielWelt_en.exe (runs much faster)

I did a quick forum search and found this precious little thread, which unfortunately lasted all of four replies. Let's just all hope this one fares better! Anyway, the site has a quite a selection of great, and more importantly free boardgames. All relevant informations can be displayed in English, and there seems to be a sizeable community of people from other countries. Check it out!

Some of the more notable games available are several Spiel des Jahres winners:

* Settlers of Catan
* Thurn und Taxis
* Niagara
* Carcassonne
* Manhattan
* Bluff (Liar's Dice)
* Imperial
* Saint Petersburg
* Caylus

Wait, they also have DOMINION?!

de2.jpg

Look like you need to make an account first though.

Okay, lets get this over quick. If you know any other popular and fun card & boardgames that fit the criteria (online and free), then by all gods mention them. I guess we could also have a [Game On] going if there's enough interest (if past attempts for this are any indication, probably not).

Discuss!

Alfred J. Kwak on

• Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    To kick off conversation, I could need a bit of a help to figure out Race to the Galaxy. I'm seriously at a loss on how the economic component of the game works exactly, so I'll usually just rely on military power (best I got so far was a draw). What else, I don't know if this is a issue related to the engine the game runs on, but I often feel like I'm skipping turn after turn without being able to do anything meaningful, even though I want to play a planet card or build an improvement, but the computer just won't let me! Could this have anything to do with the fact that I almost always pick exploration at the beginning, which triggers some hidden game mechanics or something? When I chose the build or colonize action however, 68.7% of the time I can play the card I want.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Has anyone played the free version of Settlers of Catan online? I was thinking on checking it out because a friend of mine and I like to play but he lives over an hour away.

langfor6 on
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    langfor6 wrote: »
    Has anyone played the free version of Settlers of Catan online? I was thinking on checking it out because a friend of mine and I like to play but he lives over an hour away.

It's also on Brettspielwelt, give me a minute and I'll find you the link.

edit: Take a look here http://www.brettspielwelt.de/Spiele/Siedler. Click on "Play Now!" and you will redirected to the game. I don't know if you need an account for this, the site loads slow as hell for me now.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sanctum

Starchamber

Both are great board game/CCG hybrids.

Bamelin on
    edited January 2010
    Bamelin wrote: »
    Sanctum

Starchamber

Both are great board game/CCG hybrids.

That's the spirit! I want to see more of these.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • greebzillagreebzilla Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    does weewar count? (weewar.com) its a turn based game like advance war (and free although you can upgrade). I didn't know that BSW had Dominion. I may have to reinstall the client.

greebzilla on
    edited January 2010
    Surprised nobody has mentioned Armageddon Empires and Solium Infernum

Bamelin on
    edited January 2010
    Just out of curiousity, are all the games you listed of the multiplayer type, or can you play in some of them against the AI?

stupid me, it says right so in the description of Solium Infernum. Only the demos seem to be free though.

Alfred J. Kwak on
    edited January 2010
    I think you can play against the AI in Armageddon Empires and Solium Infernum.

Sanctum and StarChamber are multiplayer only ... additionally Sanctum and StarChamber are "Traditional" CCG's even with the Boardgame Hybrid. This means plunking down money for digital cards (although you can get your starter decks "free")

Bamelin on
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

those aren't free. I think this list is supposed to be free ones unless i am mistaken.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
    edited January 2010

those aren't free. I think this list is supposed to be free ones unless i am mistaken.

No, you are right about that. I'd say they run under "honorable mentions". Not many are willing to pay good money for internet games.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    To kick off conversation, I could need a bit of a help to figure out Race to the Galaxy. I'm seriously at a loss on how the economic component of the game works exactly, so I'll usually just rely on military power (best I got so far was a draw). What else, I don't know if this is a issue related to the engine the game runs on, but I often feel like I'm skipping turn after turn without being able to do anything meaningful, even though I want to play a planet card or build an improvement, but the computer just won't let me! Could this have anything to do with the fact that I almost always pick exploration at the beginning, which triggers some hidden game mechanics or something? When I chose the build or colonize action however, 68.7% of the time I can play the card I want.

Exploration is your culprit.

Games idea is that each player picks a phase in secret and All players play only those phases that at least one player picked.

So if no one picked a development phase no one can play development cards/abilities as the development phase is skipped.
    if someone else picked development phase you can play 1 development card + must play any abilities.
    if you picked development phase it's as above expect you get -1 discount on cards price (if I remember correctly)

jammu on
    Ww8FAMg.jpg
    edited January 2010
    I must have totally missed this while reading the rules, thanks! Now, time to figure how the computer manages to jump up 10 points per round.

@Jhunz: Yep, that should help tremedously. We'll see how the comp will respond to my newly acquired knowledge of rules.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    There are five phases to each turn. However, only the phases that are picked by one of the players in one of their beginning-of-turn cards actually occur in any given turn. So if you really need to build a development, you should play the development card, because you can't just play exploration and hope your opponent needs to do what you want to do.
    This probably also explains your lack of understanding on the economic component. There are two types of planets you get goods from. One type is a windfall world (colored halo around the world), which starts with one good. The other type is a production world, which produces a good whenever the production phase happens. Then you can use goods in the consume phase if you have worlds or developments with powers that activate in that phase.

Edit: Drat!

JHunz on
    bunny.gif Gamertag: JHunz. R.I.P. Mygamercard.net bunny.gif
    edited January 2010
    Tested that race for the galaxy multiplayer site and my verdict is: pubs are silly goose!

4 games down:

1 completed (yay, 3/3)
    1 game, guy missing for 3 hours
    1 game, same for 30 minutes
    1 game unannounced 20 minute breaks, with game continuing just as I type this message-

Might be fun with PA table, but pubs are :(

jammu on
    Ww8FAMg.jpg
    edited January 2010
    jammu wrote: »

Might be fun with PA table, but pubs are :(

So, it's like every game ever. :P

Will be hard to get people together for a game or two though, there's apparently very little interest for this. On the plus side however, I came very close to beating the AI a few times already, thanks to the help I got here.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    langfor6 wrote: »

The full game or the card game? The full game has an aspect of diplomacy to it that I just couldn't get in to online. The card game is directly confrontational in many ways and works out well online. In fact, in some ways it is much better because you dont have to worry about turning cards, shuffing, having enough room, etc.

travathian on
  • ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    http://www.cosmicencounter.com/screens/home.html

I remember playing this game as the Seer (or the Oracle) . Can't remember much.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • beta.lyraebeta.lyrae Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Spielbyweb.com

http://spielbyweb.com

Amun Re
    Bus
    Tikal
    Wallenstein
    Hacienda
    Hoiti Toiti
    Reef Encounter
    Santiago

Mabi Web
    http://mabiweb.com

In The Year of the Dragon
    Mykerinos
    Ur
    Kreta
    In the Shadow of the Emporer
    Gods
    Samura
    Hansa
    Richelieui

beta.lyrae on
  • FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Theres an open source version of Axis and Allies called TripleA

Download Link

not the most graphical beautiful thing ever but it does re-create the board game damned well.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    http://www.cosmicencounter.com/screens/home.html

I remember playing this game as the Seer (or the Oracle) . Can't remember much.

Unfortunately, this online version has some problems.
    1. There never seems to be anyone online.
    2. The animations for alien powers take for-freaking-ever, and they're unskippable.
    3. Unless you pay you only get access to a very limited set of aliens.

It's still Cosmic, so it's still fun, but lacking.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
    edited January 2010
    Could you guys perhaps suggest me games that can be played only with AI players? Playing against others online isn't really that much fun I've found out, the scene is just too competitive for me.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Missing a LeggMissing a Legg Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Foomy wrote: »
    Theres an open source version of Axis and Allies called TripleA

Download Link

not the most graphical beautiful thing ever but it does re-create the board game damned well.

NICE! I cant wait to get home now. Thanks for the link!

Missing a Legg on
    GT:Missing a legg
    PSN:Missing_a_legg
  • TroyTroy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    www.gamesbyemail.com

I love this site. I've been Playing their Axis and Allies knock off aptly named WWII for a couple years now.

It's pretty basic, but it has some classic board games including Diplomacy, Risk, and History of the World.

Troy on
  • scrivenerjonesscrivenerjones Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I played a truly nightmarish game of dominion on bsw the other day

militia, thief, spy, swindler, village were the five cards I remember

the first province didn't get bought for half an hour. total runtime: sixty one minutes

never again

scrivenerjones on
    edited January 2010
    Troy wrote: »
    www.gamesbyemail.com

I love this site. I've been Playing their Axis and Allies knock off aptly named WWII for a couple years now.

It's pretty basic, but it has some classic board games including Diplomacy, Risk, and History of the World.

So, is the average playing time for wwII 5-6 years? :P

jammu on
    Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • TroyTroy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    jammu wrote: »
    Troy wrote: »
    www.gamesbyemail.com

So, is the average playing time for wwII 5-6 years? :P

A group of four friends usually gets through a game in about 1-2 weeks. Which really isn't bad since 10-20 minutes a day is far less of a time commitment then the 4-8 hours in one sitting it would take to play in real life.

Troy on