As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sedentary Lifestyles suck. Now how do you really fix one?

• Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Corvus wrote: »
    Kastanj wrote: »
    Lol are you guys serious about the lack of sidewalks? You Usaicans are so weird.

Large swaths of North America have no side-walks. Post WWII urban planning is pretty much all about the car.

also; lolamericans. you could just, y'know, have decent public transport.

Public Transportation is pretty awful in Canada outside of Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal and Vancouver.

Like, dick-gratingly awful.

Robman on
  • Options
    South hostSouth host I obey without question Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    My town is a college town, so most of it is sidewalked. Except for the part near my apartment where the speed limit goes up, streetlights go away, and the road becomes curvy.

I used to walk to class/work, which meant i was walking over 3 miles a day. I stopped that once I was almost hit by multiple cars in one night. Now I drive or take the bus. But even then, its a 1/2 mile walk to the bus stop, all of it up a steep hill.

South host on
    Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Robman wrote: »
    Lol are you guys serious about the lack of sidewalks? You Usaicans are so weird.

Large swaths of North America have no side-walks. Post WWII urban planning is pretty much all about the car.

Public Transportation is pretty awful in Canada outside of Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal and Vancouver.

Canada is basically America role-playing as France.

Crimson King on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Awful as in doesn't exist, or isn't good quality? Because it's the former here. We just don't have it.

MKR on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

And in Vancouver, it's only good in certain places.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    MKR wrote: »

Awful as in doesn't exist, or isn't good quality? Because it's the former here. We just don't have it.

Seriously. I'm currently living in Macon, GA and am from Pelham, GA. I'm not even sure there was a public transportation system within an hour's drive from my home.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Public transport in Australia is good everywhere I've been. Public transport in Montreal seems pretty dodgy, but then I never use it so perhaps I just have to get the hang of it.

Crimson King on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Couscous wrote: »

Seriously. I'm currently living in Macon, GA and am from Pelham, GA. I'm not even sure there was a public transportation system within an hour's drive from my home.

I'll have public transit and sidewalks when I move to Athens in however many years. Winder is kind of moving in the direction of getting a bus or two and maybe building sidewalks to the suburbs, but I'm hoping to be out before then.

MKR on
  • Options
    Spaten OptimatorSpaten Optimator Smooth Operator Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The county where I live (Dane County, Wisconsin---live in Madison) has seen a pretty big suburban sprawlgasm over the last decade. After reading this thread, I thought I'd get the county exec's thoughts on the matter. She is ostensibly pro-farmland, but much of the development took place under her watch. After reading through this thread, I figured I'd shoot her an email about it that I'd been mulling over for years.
    Dear Ms. Falk,

I am terribly concerned about the pace, scale, and environmental impact of developing Dane County's grassland, forests, and farmland into what is essentially suburban sprawl. Before I get into the heart of my concerns, I would like to share some of my background so that you can perhaps better understand why I feel this way. I was born in Mt. Horeb, am a UW-Madison graduate (May 2009), and travel between Mt. Horeb and Madison nearly every week to visit with friends and relatives. During those travels (generally along 18/151 or Mineral Point Road), I have seen more suburban sprawl encroaching upon farmland and forest every year. The previous decade saw a tremendous amount of this shortsighted, automobile-reliant, aesthetically unpleasant development. The latest batch of buildings, and the one that prompted this email, is the ongoing construction on the outskirts of Middleton adjacent to Mineral Point Road. To put it bluntly, this county is becoming a miniature Inland Empire.

The following are a few questions that have often popped into my brain while traveling around Dane County; I realize land use and development are complex issues, so please excuse my naivete:

1. A main tenet of your political identity involves preserving farmland and those 'open spaces' that make our region so special. Why is such rampant sprawl continuing to occur? Is it the sole province of municipalities, and is that patchwork zoning/approval responsible for the sprawl?

2. How can commuter rail, which relies in large degree on having stops within walking distance, possibly work in a region where such sprawl exists and is proliferating?

3. This is admittedly less important, but I think it's worth addressing: what, if anything, can be done about the aesthetic vapidity in the sprawl regions (no trees, hideous architecture, and entire neighborhoods of identical houses)? Buildings last a long time, and the ugly ones are going to persist long after the developer has shuffled loose their mortal coil.

4. What, if anything, can I do to stop this reckless misuse of Dane County's land?

I know you have a pretty thankless job much of the time, and I'm sure you get an avalanche of grievances from your constituents. Thank you for taking the time to read my email.

Sincerely,

Will post her response if she sends one.

Spaten Optimator on
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    -

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    St Johns has some of the worst issues with sprawl and public transport I've ever seen. It all stems from a firm refusal to develop the downtown because the tourists love the buildings small and quaint or something like that.

Robman on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I like playing videogames while walking on a treadmill or elliptical.

This. If video games are what you like, you don't have to put them down to exercise.

Heck, you don't even need expensive gym equipment, just find some stairs somewhere and go up and down them while playing DS. Or jump around while playing.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I used to walk around a track while playing my Gameboy.

Couscous on
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I should walk around while I'm breeding my pokemans.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    South hostSouth host I obey without question Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    A lot of the time, I'll make myself do calisthenics whenever I mess up in a game. I died? 20 pushups, 40 situps. Failed an objective? 15 deep lunges, 40 crunches. Probably not as good as walking while playing a game, but better than nothing.

South host on
    Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    -

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    MadnessBAMadnessBA Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I went to China. Got thinner, had lots of sex, modified my gaming habits such that I was playing Settlers of Catan with pretty girls in coffee shops instead of in a comic book store with guys who smell like grease.

A change of scenery can do wonders. The move necessitated getting rid of a lot of the stuff I had hoarded

I can't even begin to tell you how good a change of cities has been for me. The only way I was ever able to get out of my rut was when circumstances physically forced me to do so. It entails meeting so many more new people and doing so many more new things, just because it really presents no other option. Now I go out and do stuff with friends several times a week, which basically fulfils my exciting-life requirements. I also walk all the time. This is tricky in the frigid wastelands of Canada, but if I'm inside for more than four or five hours at a time I feel compelled to go somewhere else for a while, just to have an excuse to move around a bit.

I actually think this whole sedentary lifestyle thing seems a pretty significant social problem in our first-world society, just to judge by how many people I know have the same issues. That's ok. There are much worse problems to have than 'I have too much lesuire time and unfettered access to too many interesting things'.

Also, Loren, do you mind awfully if I ask how old you are? I'm just noticing certain parallels between my life and what I know of yours.

I'm going to also endorse the major change in your life for all matters concerning work ethic and just generally being a slob. I was really bad before I joined the millitary (this isnt for everyone but it is a large change of environment) but I have lost weight, and spent less wasted time since I made the change with the conscious decision to improve myself. Even right before boot camp I couldn't motivate myself to go out and exercise but now I do it on my own and I eat better because too much fast food or what not just disgusts me. I think having goals to how you want your life to go (longterm) and how you can improve yourself now to meet those goals (short term) also play a key role in making those lifestyle changes.

MadnessBA on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    BubbaT wrote: »

This. If video games are what you like, you don't have to put them down to exercise.

Heck, you don't even need expensive gym equipment, just find some stairs somewhere and go up and down them while playing DS. Or jump around while playing.

When I used to play CoH, there was a guy the forums, I think inspired by a WoW player who did a similar thing, who hooked up some gear so his laptop was attached to his exercise bike, and basically made a rule that he could only play MMO's while peddling.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    BubbaT wrote: »

When I used to play CoH, there was a guy the forums, I think inspired by a WoW player who did a similar thing, who hooked up some gear so his laptop was attached to his exercise bike, and basically made a rule that he could only play MMO's while peddling.

I know a lot of people who, when they play a racing game, physically lean into every turn like they're in a car. My brother used to run around doing Street Fighter moves. Just extend that principle. Every time Master Chief jumps, you jump.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'm standing up right now

Crimson King on
  • Options
    CorlisCorlis Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm lucky that my parents instilled in me a deep guilt for driving when I could walk. Luckily, even though we're in the suburbs we're still in a smallish city, so I can in fact walk or bike everywhere I want to go.

Speaking of guilt, I also used it to my advantage when I started going to the gym. A few years ago, when I stopped playing soccer and realized I needed something to fill the gap, I asked my parents to get me a yearlong membership at the YMCA for Christmas. For a year after that, I couldn't stop going to the gym in good conscience, though to be fair I didn't go so frequently once I began paying for it myself. Still, that year was enough to cement the habit in me, and I haven't stopped since.

Corlis on
    But I don't mind, as long as there's a bed beneath the stars that shine,
    I'll be fine, just give me a minute, a man's got a limit, I can't get a life if my heart's not in it.
  • Options
    unitedshoes86unitedshoes86 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    well I am a server at red lobster and a student but still definitely a whateverian. I seem to get enough exercise at work and just try and cut my beer intake, I am from Wisconsin so that's more difficult than you would think. I say find an active job, if you can, and during make a point of doing things outside.

unitedshoes86 on
    "It’s about those moments when you can feel the perfection of creation, the beauty of physics, the wonder of mathematics, you know?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I'll have public transit and sidewalks when I move to Athens in however many years. Winder is kind of moving in the direction of getting a bus or two and maybe building sidewalks to the suburbs, but I'm hoping to be out before then.

While Athens does have a bus system, it's not that great. For example, while I can ride it to school, I couldn't hope to make it to work on time without my car.

BTW, Athens is funny because it's pretty much the only sizable Liberal community in Georgia. I wonder how that came about?

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I went to China. Got thinner, had lots of sex, modified my gaming habits such that I was playing Settlers of Catan with pretty girls in coffee shops instead of in a comic book store with guys who smell like grease.

A change of scenery can do wonders. The move necessitated getting rid of a lot of the stuff I had hoarded

I can't even begin to tell you how good a change of cities has been for me. The only way I was ever able to get out of my rut was when circumstances physically forced me to do so. It entails meeting so many more new people and doing so many more new things, just because it really presents no other option. Now I go out and do stuff with friends several times a week, which basically fulfils my exciting-life requirements. I also walk all the time. This is tricky in the frigid wastelands of Canada, but if I'm inside for more than four or five hours at a time I feel compelled to go somewhere else for a while, just to have an excuse to move around a bit.

I actually think this whole sedentary lifestyle thing seems a pretty significant social problem in our first-world society, just to judge by how many people I know have the same issues. That's ok. There are much worse problems to have than 'I have too much lesuire time and unfettered access to too many interesting things'.

Also, Loren, do you mind awfully if I ask how old you are? I'm just noticing certain parallels between my life and what I know of yours.

Too old, 27. I wasted a lot of time not going to (and being in) China. I aim to make up for it.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    Spaten OptimatorSpaten Optimator Smooth Operator Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    well I am a server at red lobster and a student but still definitely a whateverian. I seem to get enough exercise at work and just try and cut my beer intake, I am from Wisconsin so that's more difficult than you would think. I say find an active job, if you can, and during make a point of doing things outside.

Oh Jesus can this be difficult sometimes. I worked at a liquor store for a while last year before my boss threatened to cut my nuts off. We had a great beer selection and I couldn't help but make a mental 'to drink' list that was a couple pages long. Delicious, delicious beer (though I don't like Spaten Optimator anymore, to be honest).

On the other hand, I lost about 20 pounds over two months by restricting beer consumption to weekends.

Spaten Optimator on
  • Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Teyar wrote: »
    So, like a lot of you, I play a lot of video games. And read TVtropes. And hoard digital comics. And chat endlessly with friends. And facebook. And just being stuck in a depression-wave funk. And then there's - okay you get the point here.

The force-multiplying problem is, I work as a pizza driver nowadays, so my physical activity has dropped from "whatever I got at work, and walking to and from" to.... zip. Zilcho. And I wonder how many other people have started there and wound up turning into blob-whales. Like the other pizza driver who's about my body frame and twice my size. And I'm big as it is.

Not a fun idea. But its a bitch altering your everyday habits, sooooooooo....

My fellow whateverans! What sort of habits / life alterations / methods / ideas have you found effective for getting the hell off the couch in a long term, meaningful way?

Join the Army? Worked for me. Now my job is more intellectually interesting, more physically active, and better paying.

That said, cut liquid with calories (non-diet soda, more than a single cup of juice or milk a day, etc), cut fast food, start eating lower calorie substitutes (home made English muffin pizzas are as good as a frozen / delivery pizza at about 1/2 the calories for the same amount of fulfillment), and start walking 1+ miles every day, working up to say, 2-3, then start jogging and walking combined. This will take under an hour.

programjunkie on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

While Athens does have a bus system, it's not that great. For example, while I can ride it to school, I couldn't hope to make it to work on time without my car.

BTW, Athens is funny because it's pretty much the only sizable Liberal community in Georgia. I wonder how that came about?

Being able to get from point A to a distant point B is still preferable to being bound to point A or being tired from driving and despise being at point B.

MKR on
  • Options
    blizzard224blizzard224 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    res_squash1.jpg

Find someone to play squash with. Seriously, I've been playing for years and I love it so fucking much. If you've never played before you've got to give it a go. I guess it's not for everyone but it's a hell of a game, it really is.

45 mins / an hour on the squash court will give you a fucking great workout, work your core muscles with all the stopping and starting, you legs, arms, everything. Beautiful game.

Of course you're bang out of luck if there are no courts around you, but it's worth a look to see if there is. Head over there and join one of their beginner courses, they'll give you a run down of the game and give you a chance to meet some people to play with - sometimes they're free too.

blizzard224 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I knew someone in high school who was kind of your standard big inactive video game nerd with low self esteem. At one point he was severely depressed all the time and was also looking for a way to get out of it. Someone suggested that he just run 1 mile every single day. And he did, losing about 80 lbs in about a year. It didn't solve all his problems or anything, but I just remember hearing about it and thinking how awesome of an idea that was. You never don't have 10 minutes to run.

Smurph on
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    What sort of habits / life alterations / methods / ideas have you found effective for getting the hell off the couch in a long term, meaningful way?

It's cliche, but still true: set goals and strive toward them. You might not achieve them, but you need to try. Set some realistic goals too, that way you'll be able to build off your success and keep moving forward. A lot of people never reach their goal, or they do but stop once it's complete. Use the goal and create a new goal that surpasses the first one. That way you're doing something meaningful, making progress, and setting future landmarks at the same time.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So, like a lot of you, I play a lot of video games. And read TVtropes. And hoard digital comics. And chat endlessly with friends. And facebook. And just being stuck in a depression-wave funk. And then there's - okay you get the point here.

The force-multiplying problem is, I work as a pizza driver nowadays, so my physical activity has dropped from "whatever I got at work, and walking to and from" to.... zip. Zilcho. And I wonder how many other people have started there and wound up turning into blob-whales. Like the other pizza driver who's about my body frame and twice my size. And I'm big as it is.

Not a fun idea. But its a bitch altering your everyday habits, sooooooooo....

My fellow whateverans! What sort of habits / life alterations / methods / ideas have you found effective for getting the hell off the couch in a long term, meaningful way?

Join the Army? Worked for me. Now my job is more intellectually interesting, more physically active, and better paying.

That said, cut liquid with calories (non-diet soda, more than a single cup of juice or milk a day, etc), cut fast food, start eating lower calorie substitutes (home made English muffin pizzas are as good as a frozen / delivery pizza at about 1/2 the calories for the same amount of fulfillment), and start walking 1+ miles every day, working up to say, 2-3, then start jogging and walking combined. This will take under an hour.

Not drinking calories is a big one. I tallied it up once and I was basically getting an entire extra meal in. Water is good, sugar free drinks, etc. Soda, fruit drinks, excessive consumption of milk, etc is bad. People aren't wired to drink calories and the body doesn't get full from them. You could nutritionally subsist off a liquid diet but you'd feel hungry all the time because your body just doesn't count that when deciding whether it's hungry or not. One thing about milk though, is that if you're actually doing strenous excercise (and by this I don't mean walking around the block for 15 minutes a day) it's a pretty good recovery drink.

On a similar note, if you have to eat fast food, ditch the fries. Even if it means getting a slightly larger burger to fill you up (like a double rather than single patty) you're still much much better off avoiding the fries. Generally a large order of fries has more calories than the entire rest of the meal.

Restaurant portions in the US are also huge, so don't be afraid to leave some behind. I'd always find myself feeling stuffed after going to a restaurant, so I started eating half of what they gave me and then just evaluating whether I needed more. Don't feel bad about sharing entrees if the restaurant allows it, either.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Join a gym or go out for a run. It's not rocket science. And I say that being one the laziest people in the world.

Whenever I want to just stay home, sleep in, or skip the gym, I remind myself of two simple things:

1) There's no better feeling than the feeling of getting out of a gym, tired, exhausted, muscles aching, but knowing you did something good for yourself.

2) I never regret actually going to the gym, but regret not having gone to it.

You don't even have to go every day or anything. 2-3 days a week is pretty doable. 20-30 min cardio, 30 minute weight machines. That's it.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Restaurant portions in the US are also huge, so don't be afraid to leave some behind. I'd always find myself feeling stuffed after going to a restaurant, so I started eating half of what they gave me and then just evaluating whether I needed more. Don't feel bad about sharing entrees if the restaurant allows it, either.
    It takes some re-programming for some of us to leave the clean plate club.

Also, eating more slowly helps. It gives your body a chance to feel full. I used to eat like someone was going to take it away from me (bad habit from the Corps).

GungHo on
  • Options
    TeyarTeyar Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Holy freaking crap. I leave one little post and come back a couple days later and its metastasized!

... now I've got to read all this stuff at once and automatically prune out the things I think are incompatible or silly, and since theres so much at once the same percentage is going to be gone regardless.

That'll teach me to underestimate the speed of the PA forums. O.o

Teyar on
    Kick At The Darkness Until It Bleeds Daylight
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    We love to talk about ourselves, regardless of the subject.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    We love to talk about ourselves, regardless of the subject.

I am pretty great.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I like to sit around and contemplate a game plan for my future, day after day after day.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    GnarloGnarlo Seattle/Los AngelesRegistered User new member
    edited January 2010
    Havent read all the replies, but a good way to start small is to just blast your favorite high energy music and dance around in your room when no one is watching until you're out of breath. Then... do it again. Then work on your air guitar. Then work on your rock star jumping around on stage moves.

Gnarlo on
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Gnarlo wrote: »
    Havent read all the replies, but a good way to start small is to just blast your favorite high energy music and dance around in your room when no one is watching until you're out of breath. Then... do it again. Then work on your air guitar. Then work on your rock star jumping around on stage moves.

Singing is a surprisingly good workout, having played in bands for a long time. Play rock band and sing and do your rocker moves and you will be in Jagger shape in no time.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Doing a couple of Townshend style windmills burns more calories than an hour of jogging.

Butler For Life #1 on