As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tabletop Games at PAX East

• Options
    PuddingSenatorPuddingSenator Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    GHoooSTS wrote: »
    2) Anybody interested in Wings of War? I don't know how many of you have played or heard of it, but it's a very fun, compact game you can learn to play in like fifteen minutes and I'd happy run/demo it. Any takers?

I love me some Wings of War. I'll bring along my copy along with some minis, hopefully we can get a nice big game going.

Additionally, I'll probably be bringing these games along for the train ride, as well as for whatever sessions happen during PAX:

Galaxy Trucker
    Inn-Fighting
    Loopin' Louie
    Race for the Galaxy
    Say Anything
    Zooloretto
    Cosmic Encounter

Here's a link to the rest of my collection on BoardGameGeek: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/fluc02?own=1&subtype=boardgame&ff=1. I'd be happy to bring along any specific games people are interested in, space permitting.

PuddingSenator on
  • Options
    dardordardor Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm always interested in Magic, but as I personally don't have much in the way of cards I wouldn't play in Casual or Constructed format tournaments (as I'd just be cannon fodder ;D) But I'd always be willing for some casual play. Even if it does mean leaving PAX East with an all-loss record =)

dardor on
    I'll take a potato chip and eat it!
  • Options
    ZukiZuki Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Zuki wrote: »
    I've got Spirit of the Century, Mouse Guard, and Monsters and Other Childish Things. I haven't gotten to play them yet. I might be getting a few more game books for other things for Christmas. I think that I'd like to plot out some quick one-shots and pre-gens and run them for all and sundry a couple times. In return, I think it'd be awesome if I wasn't the only person doing this, and I'll play in your PAX one-shots and let you try out a new system or put an old favorite through its paces.

I am desperate to play Spirit of the Century. I can't really offer up to volunteer running any one-shots (I'd be able to run Mutants and Masterminds, but I've never done a one-shot and I haven't been able to play in a while) but I'd be happy to siphon off your generous offer.

A one-shot is an adventure that can be played and concluded in one (longish, if need be) session. Since players may be walk-ups, having some pre-made options for them speeds the process. Now that I have people actually interested, I'll have to go about figuring how I can compress The Time Tunnels of Tibet.

Zuki on
  • Options
    KiashienKiashien Medford, MARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'll probably be able to bring a couple loaner decks with me for casual play. It helps when they're not worth much.

If you want to pick up some good precons, the new Planechase decks are actually -very- nice- actually very playable!

The artifact one and the black one are really good.

I have the black one and its adjacent planechase cards. If we can actually get a full set of all 40 (and maybe the 2 unique ones from launch events) it could be a hella fun casual game.

Planechase rules are here: http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/51

also I'd be up for a elder dragon game, but I'd need to know ahead of time. It'll take me some effort to build that kind of deck- I just don't have one on hand.

Kiashien on
    The pirate hat riding bobcat compels you...

Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
  • Options
    RobProRobPro Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Are there typically organized tournaments for Warhammer or WH40K, or is it more that there are tables set aside for people to casually play at PAX? Either way, I would be happy to bring an army or two if there was at least an organized game time segment thing with a few others showing interest.

RobPro on
  • Options
    ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Remember, if you guys just want to set up something in a hotel room after hours thats open to anyone, let me know and I'll add it to the calender....

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    philbertdephilbertde Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Dear owner of Lopping Louie; please tell me where I can find you and play your marvelous plastic motorized wonder.

philbertde on
  • Options
    Bigtoy_JBigtoy_J Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I am going to be attendoing Gulf Games 2010 Mobile Alabama (an invitation only family oriented board game convention for up to 50 families). I have a feeling I will be bringing whatever is considered the new hotness from this convention to PAX East.

My favorite to date though are:
    Puerto Rico
    Settlers
    Tongiaki
    Evo

As I am flying I will not be bringing my Chrokinole board.

Bigtoy_J on
    Love George Bernard Shaw quotations.

Also, I can count to "boat".
  • Options
    arsonisfunarsonisfun Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I may bring Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay or Space Hulk if there's some interest

arsonisfun on
    I am IRCs resident nerdbro and member of the PokeCrawl planning committee.

Red B/Gold Professor

[15:53] <+juju-work> ArsonIsFun is one of the best people I know.
  • Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    RobPro wrote: »
    Are there typically organized tournaments for Warhammer or WH40K, or is it more that there are tables set aside for people to casually play at PAX? Either way, I would be happy to bring an army or two if there was at least an organized game time segment thing with a few others showing interest.

Games Workshop has become kind of infamous for snubbing PAX in the past. There's no official GW presence at all; no booth, no staff, nothing. Because of that, the WH40K/WHFB/other activity at PAX is less than you'd think for a convention of this size.

There's far more WarMachine than any GW game, and that might be because Privateer Press usually has a huge area with demo tables set up, friendly staff teaching the rules, painting demos, and lots of stuff for sale.

So, to address a few people's questions:

1) There's usually quite a bit of WarMachine going on. Bring a battle box, at least, and probably more.

2) Despite GW's unbelievable lack of presence at PAX, there is GW gaming going on. It's organized by the tabletop staff, or just by PAXers. There's table space for it, to be sure. I think there's usually a pretty big Apocalypse game that happens every year. If GW games are your thing, you'll find other players.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Options
    V-eRGeV-eRGe Registered User new member
    edited January 2010
    Bigtoy_J wrote: »
    As I am flying I will not be bringing my Chrokinole board.

I am also flying and not bringing my crokinole board. I am really hopeful that some people with the ability will be bringing their crokinole boards. I don't get the chance to play alot so I really want to play at pax.

V-eRGe on
  • Options
    AcidityTomAcidityTom Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hm. Should I bring my Magic deck even though i forgot how to play?

AcidityTom on
    voDnI3Z.png
  • Options
    RobProRobPro Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Arco wrote: »

1) There's usually quite a bit of WarMachine going on. Bring a battle box, at least, and probably more.

2) Despite GW's unbelievable lack of presence at PAX, there is GW gaming going on. It's organized by the tabletop staff, or just by PAXers. There's table space for it, to be sure. I think there's usually a pretty big Apocalypse game that happens every year. If GW games are your thing, you'll find other players.

Cool!

Will something be posted in a schedule about good times to play tabletop games? Who are the "tabletop" staffers, and will non-official (Bell of Lost Souls, scratch built, etc.) datasheets be legal in a big Apocalypse game?

RobPro on
  • Options
    machineivmachineiv Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm probably going to be looking to do some gaming.

I'm trying to test/preview a game I'm releasing in May called Maschine Zeit. It's a sci-fi/horror thing, in the vein of Alien, Pandorum and Event Horizon. It's visceral, and full of movie logic.

I'm also up for a pickup of other things. I'm familiar with quite a few games, I'm a professional game designer/writer. I've done work for White Wolf (Vampire, Hunter, et cetera,) Catalyst (Shadowrun and Eclipse Phase,) along with a bunch of other stuff.

Also, I'll be doing a panel called Design an RPG in an Hour on Friday at 4pm. It's exactly what it sounds like. Those attending the panel collaboratively design an RPG under super-harsh time constraints.

machineiv on
    David A Hill Jr
    Freelance Writer - Game Designer
    Machine Age Productions
    Find me on Twitter
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited January 2010
    An interactive panel? I was just thinking about how interesting something like that would be.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    machineivmachineiv Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    An interactive panel? I was just thinking about how interesting something like that would be.

Yeah. I've run it about a dozen times at various conventions, it usually goes over well. People are often skeptical, but by the end, they're like, "Shit! I'd really love to play this!" Collaborative game-making is amazingly fun.

machineiv on
    David A Hill Jr
    Freelance Writer - Game Designer
    Machine Age Productions
    Find me on Twitter
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    AcidityTom wrote: »

I don't think it's possible to forget how to play ;) And there will probably be a lot of MTG play so yeah, why not?

dardor on
  • Options
    xibalbaxibalba Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I will have the following

Star Wars Epic Duels
    Settlers of Catan w/ expansion
    Zombie Fluxx

xibalba on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    dardor wrote: »
    AcidityTom wrote: »

I don't think it's possible to forget how to play ;) And there will probably be a lot of MTG play so yeah, why not?
    It's not really possible to forget the basics, like tapping and blocking and that sort of thing, but if you haven't played since the Portal era (like me), there are mechanics upon mechanics that you are completely ignorant to. The game grows really fast. Unless I were to find someone who stopped playing at the same time I did, there would be quite a lot of catching up to do.

Arco on
  • Options
    itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    @Arco, Portal is about where I stopped playing. Except for the two pre-con decks I got with the new stuff, the only deck I have is a REALLY old black deck...like I said though, I'm up for playing pretty much anyone, I'll have all 3 decks with me.

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
  • Options
    FatherFletchFatherFletch Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

We are currently planning to offer two Warhammer tournaments. Fantasy on Friday and 40k on Sunday. These will be 16 player, first come, first served sign up, 2500 point games. Space and terrain is reserved for these in our planning. This is being run in cooperation with Pandemonium Books and Games

We do not have any plans for Warmachine tournaments at this time, but if you want to set up a game let me know and we can look into something. If I have a good idea of the sincere interest we can also look into planning some table space for casual games. Please PM me with specific questions.

Thanks,
    CFK

FatherFletch on
    Tabletop Manager
    Rolling Old School Dice since '04
  • Options
    edited January 2010

We are currently planning to offer two Warhammer tournaments. Fantasy on Friday and 40k on Sunday. These will be 16 player, first come, first served sign up, 2500 point games. Space and terrain is reserved for these in our planning. This is being run in cooperation with Pandemonium Books and Games

We do not have any plans for Warmachine tournaments at this time, but if you want to set up a game let me know and we can look into something. If I have a good idea of the sincere interest we can also look into planning some table space for casual games. Please PM me with specific questions.

Thanks,
    CFK

Yay. Pandemonium is my FLGS, glad to know they are involved with PAX.

arsonisfun on

Red B/Gold Professor

• Options
    undeadundead Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I hear rumblings of a Munchkin tournament as well (I'm all over this if it happens).

undead on
    As I am, so shall ye be.

Yahoo group GCIACST
  • Options
    DaemondDaemond Registered User new member
    edited January 2010
    Well, let me go really old school here, and say I'll bring a Go board and some stones. I'll likely be lugging them around in my backpack. If you know what Go is, feel free to drop me a line through private message here on the forum. I'd be happy to arrange to play sometime during the weekend.

Other than that, I likely will bring pass the brain, and possibly some other things.

Look forward to seeing you all there.

Daemond on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Daemond, do you play Gomoku/Five in a Row?

dardor on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Daemond wrote: »
    Well, let me go really old school here, and say I'll bring a Go board and some stones. I'll likely be lugging them around in my backpack. If you know what Go is, feel free to drop me a line through private message here on the forum. I'd be happy to arrange to play sometime during the weekend.

Other than that, I likely will bring pass the brain, and possibly some other things.

Look forward to seeing you all there.

Boston actually has a decent-sized Go association, so I wouldn't be too shocked if you find a few folks willing to play. What rank are you?

arsonisfun on

Red B/Gold Professor

• Options
    AngelKurisuAngelKurisu Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    We're currently mulling over running the first ever (and maybe last ever?) We Didn't Playtest This at All tournament. It would be awesome...and probably terrible.

Regardless of whether that comes together, we shall there in Tabletop playing Playtest and other various silliness throughout the weekend.

-Asmadi Games

AngelKurisu on
  • Options
    ZukiZuki Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Excellent. I've seen you guys two years running at Otakon, I'll stop by and say "Hi!" for the third time in March!

Silly games are some of the best.

Zuki on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    undead wrote: »
    I hear rumblings of a Munchkin tournament as well (I'm all over this if it happens).
    I think that happened in September.

Arco on
  • Options
    undeadundead Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Arco wrote: »
    undead wrote: »
    I think that happened in September.

At the store yes (I was there for it). I mean I heard talk of one at PAX.

A WDPTAL tournament..........well, the one thing it would be is short, if nothing else. A great game, though, and it's something everyone can get in on.

undead on
    As I am, so shall ye be.

Yahoo group GCIACST
  • Options
    DaemondDaemond Registered User new member
    edited January 2010
    arsonisfun wrote: »
    Boston actually has a decent-sized Go association, so I wouldn't be too shocked if you find a few folks willing to play. What rank are you?

Yes, indeed, it does.

I'm about 6k KGS, or 4k AGA if you believe the rank conversion table (KGS is a popular internet go server, AGA is the American Go Association, both ranking systems are widely accepted.)

I'm afraid I've never played Gomoku, though I've heard of it, and know it's played on a go board, I'm unfamiliar with advanced strategies for it.

Daemond on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Daemond wrote: »
    arsonisfun wrote: »

Yes, indeed, it does.

I'm about 6k KGS, or 4k AGA if you believe the rank conversion table (KGS is a popular internet go server, AGA is the American Go Association, both ranking systems are widely accepted.)

I'm afraid I've never played Gomoku, though I've heard of it, and know it's played on a go board, I'm unfamiliar with advanced strategies for it.

That's unfortunate. I know how to play Go, but that is a far cry from being good at it, but I am always looking for a challenge in Gomoku which is a pretty fun fast game.

dardor on
  • Options
    GHoooSTSGHoooSTS Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Thanks,
    CFK

If I know other people are comign to play this I can guarantee that I will be bringing an army with a couple of modular parts. If anybody else is interested, let me know because there's no way I want to drag too much of this stuff down to Boston.

I've never played Wings of War with the miniatures but I'm totally interested.

GHoooSTS on
  • Options
    DxnattaDxnatta Registered User new member
    edited January 2010

Thanks,
    CFK

If I know other people are comign to play this I can guarantee that I will be bringing an army with a couple of modular parts. If anybody else is interested, let me know because there's no way I want to drag too much of this stuff down to Boston.

I've never played Wings of War with the miniatures but I'm totally interested.

I'll bring my tomb king army, though its only warband-sized and I've never played a game

Dxnatta on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    As always, I'm extremely interested in Mordheim. I absolutely love that game, and I have several warbands worth of models. It's one of those hardly-supported skirmish-scale GW games that's hard to find players for, though.

Arco on
  • Options
    GrubbslingerGrubbslinger Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I am not sure if anyone mentioned this game before but I love to play Axis and Allies. Being from Arkansas, I dont find too many players though.

I am posting to see if anyone would be interested in playing the Axis and Allies Anniversary Edition. I have a copy but its a monsterous box, so I wanted to make sure that I could find some players before I lug it up to Boston. So any interested in deciding the fate of the modern world with a roll of the dice?

Grubbslinger on
  • Options
    GundabadGundabad PAX East & Unplugged Tabletop Manager NJRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Not buying the Axis & Allies Anniversary edition is one of the biggest mistakes I've ever made, gaming-wise. I would love to play that game, but I can't promise I would be able to peel away from PAX or ditch my non axis and allies playing friends for a 5 hour game of world domination. Hope you find some more solid players worth trotting that huge box to Boston for.

Gundabad on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010

Thanks,
    CFK

Oh wow. I would love to take part in this. But a 2.5k pt 40k army is a little large to be lugging down to boston.

How many games are you planning on getting in a day at that point level? 3 might be stretching it...

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    rurugbyrurugby Registered User new member
    edited February 2010
    Expecting to bring some games and do some gaming --- might leave the big stuff in the hotel room the first day --

Ticket to Ride
    Dominion and Dominion: Intrigue take up a lot of space.

Also have
    Power Grid (including Korea/China board)
    Carcassone (may keep that with)
    Acquire (3M version)
    Various Trivial Pursuits --

Apples to Apples (looks like won't need it)

And lots of fluxxes Eco, Martian, Zombie, regular (small and large) and Family (meh)

Also will probably bring Set and Set dice and Jungle Speed

Looking forward to learning some new games and seeing what I need to own.

Boskone last year was all about Dominion.

Edmund

rurugby on
  • Options
    BitstreamBitstream Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    oh man, jungle speed

no game since Diplomacy has inspired so many murder plots.

Bitstream on
This discussion has been closed.