As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Good [chat], everyone!

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Pellaeon wrote: »
    I quit this game back in august, haven't touched it since, this morning at 2:45 am a friend and old guildie texts me and says I am online robbing the gbank of useless glyphs (but leaving the gold). Sweet....

Several people I know of who quit or took an extened break have been hacked it really bothers me since I know of one of them lacks a computer now

Brainleech on
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Are these hackers actually paying $15 to resub the hacked account in the hopes of finding enough gold to make up for the cost? I wonder how often it doesn't pay off.

jackal on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    jackal wrote: »
    Are these hackers actually paying $15 to resub the hacked account in the hopes of finding enough gold to make up for the cost? I wonder how often it doesn't pay off.

I'd imagine they can check from the Armory how much max gold the character has owned, and if it's high enough to presume there might be lots of gold there, they'll resub?

reVerse on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2010
    Do they actually show that on the armory? I thought they hid wealth for those exact reasons.

Echo on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    Do they actually show that on the armory? I thought they hid wealth for those exact reasons.

The achievement, at least.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    bowen wrote: »

They show the most gold that you've held on a specific character. There are addons that allow you to mouse-over anyone and see how much gold they've held. I've seen people on my realm in the 50-60k range.

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    ArkanArkan Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    My sister got hacked and they resubbed using a stolen credit card. When it bounced blizzard was all like "hey you owe us 15 bucks" and she was all like "oh hell naw".

Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    Dear Blizzard: Why are all of the good Melee DPS trinkets only drop in 25? I mean come on I can't do 25 since its well not enough people to. Instead I have to buy some shitty badge trinket with a crap load of hit I don't need just because you can't put any melee DPS trinkets in 10 mans. Thanks.

At least when the silly goose boss in FoS gives up his trinket I'll only have to find one more that doesn't suck.

There's the crit trinket off Deathwhisper.

But yeah, seriously. Give us some good goddamn trinkets, Blizzard!

Alright I didn't know about that.

Still though fuck the badge trinkets.

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If the Forsaken were reliant on the Lich Kings power to continue existing, don't you think the Lich King would have stopped supplying that power? Just kinda turned the nozzle on the hose that supplied that power to the Forsaken, thus killing them? I mean they're kinda a thorn in his side, driving him out of the eastern kingdoms, green gassing his forces at the wrathgate, etc. While whatever power creates a scourge/forsaken undead, it apprently continues to animate them even without a connection to the Lich King. So the Lich King isn't needed.

I also don't know why there HAS to be a Lich King. Without his control you'd likely end up with 3 types of undead: The ones with minds that actually willingly served (made undead from the Vyrkul and the Cult of the Damned), the ones with minds that UNwillingly served (Deathknights, frostwyrms, Nerubians, anything else that was lucky enough to retain a brain), and mindless ones.

The mindless will either wander aimlessly without their leader or be controled by the willing ones. Unless controlled they'll have no motivation to head south towards the rest of the civilized world. They'll either hang around where they were when the Lich King died, or shuffle slowly in a random direction. Unless there is a shopping mall nearby, which they will lay seige to.

The Unwilling will likely either join the Forsaken, or splinter into their own groups. Some of those groups may decide to form their own kingdoms, and they could become a problem for the rest of Azeroth if some decide they want their kingdoms to be in already occupied lands. Some might even try to 'go home', heading into human lands and get cut down by their own people before they can even get out "Wait dad, it's me!" The nerubians will likely try to rebuild their empire, and may attack Horde/Alliance forces remaining in Northrend in a 'Get off my lawn' move, but wouldn't follow if the Horde/Alliance went home.

The willing servents would likely be bereft if they lost their leader. They'd either try to create a new Lich King, try to bring back the old one, or try to round up the remaining mindless undead and attack Azeroth. Which wouldn't work, because every Scourge attack so far has been defeated even when they HAD the Lich King. The most dangerous move they could do is to retreat, hide, bide their time, and create a new Plague, or some other weapon of mass destruction. But they're already working on that stuff WITH the Lich King, so it't not big change from the current threat, only they'd have much fewer resources to do it with.

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    On the other hand, it's hard to argue with THE Uther Lightbringer. He says we needs a Lich King, and that's good enough for me.

tehmarken on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Pffft, Uther though Arthas was a good guy until he started burning down cities. Not exactly a dude whose judgement I have a lot of faith in.

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Stab him in the face till he drops loot?

Sounds like a plan.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Arthas has never particularly seemed like a particularly smart guy.
    Pushing Ner'zhul out was probably a shitty move on his part since he was the brains behind the operation.

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »

They show the most gold that you've held on a specific character. There are addons that allow you to mouse-over anyone and see how much gold they've held. I've seen people on my realm in the 50-60k range.

As I recall I only had 100 or 200 gold, I blew all my money on enchants and gems at the end.

Apparently they merged my account with a battle.net account so I can't even try and retrieve the password via email. Now I have to decide if I want to bother to call blizzard and deal with it. It's funny, I haven't even thought about this game in months but I'm still like "oh noes mah loremaster character in level 80 dungeon blues! Don't steal mah gearz!" Perhaps it is a clever marketing ploy by blizzard to make me think about the game before the next expansion.

Pellaeon on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    My interpretation of what Uther was infering was - the Lich King dies, and all the undead go loose and wild.

Don't they still carry the plague? Players may not worry about it but the zombie event showed sort of what could happen if they could be effected by the plague, and the Alliance/Horde populations at large. If they go wild, and spread off everywhere then there's a good chance -everything- on Azeroth will die/become undead/plagued/etc. Oops.

Perhaps there is a tiny sliver of Arthas' humanity left keeping the Lich King Arthas/Ner'zhul/Frostmorne amaglamation in check, but who knows. The cynic in me says creating a new Lich King is so the undead remain a faction in a future Warcraft RTS.

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    mturalonmturalon Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Dear Blizzard: Why are all of the good Melee DPS trinkets only drop in 25? I mean come on I can't do 25 since its well not enough people to. Instead I have to buy some shitty badge trinket with a crap load of hit I don't need just because you can't put any melee DPS trinkets in 10 mans. Thanks.

At least when the silly goose boss in FoS gives up his trinket I'll only have to find one more that doesn't suck.

This might be late, I'm playing catch up with chat. There's a crit/AP stacking trinket off of Deathwhisper in ICC10

# Whispering Fanged Skull
    # Binds when picked up
    # Unique
    # Trinket
    # Requires Level 80
    # Item Level 251Disenchants into:
    [Abyss Crystal]: 1-2
    # Equip: Improves critical strike rating by 131.
    Equip: When you deal damage you have a chance to gain 1100 attack power for 15 sec..

mturalon on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Perhaps there is a tiny sliver of Arthas' humanity left keeping the Lich King Arthas/Ner'zhul/Frostmorne amaglamation in check, but who knows. The cynic in me says creating a new Lich King is so the undead remain a faction in a future Warcraft RTS.

I don't think there's any good left (and Blizz is going to great lengths to show us this), but at the same time it is really weird that he hasn't just razed more zones in the past. Just doesn't have the army for it, I guess?

Why are so many Northrend zones still teeming with life? We haven't been there in ages, why didn't he swarm down the glacier and take over Sholozar, or ruin the Grizzly hills? He can't take out a couple of wolvar, gorlocs and furbolgs?

Anyway, the main thing that I think is stupid about this permanent Lich King thing is that for Blizz's purposes, there's no trouble in simply having a new one show up regardless. Frostmourne is taken and carefully guarded by the alliance, but then the horde doesn't trust them to take care of it, so another war erupts and in the confusion somebody ends up taking it. Hopefully Garrosh!

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    ExistentialSoundandFuryExistentialSoundandFury Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Scholozar was actually explained, only recently were the Cult of the Damned able to sneak and destroy one of the Pillars of Life. Until that was accomplished the Undead could not enter Scholozar Basin.

ExistentialSoundandFury on
    399831.jpg
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I don't think there's any good left (and Blizz is going to great lengths to show us this), but at the same time it is really weird that he hasn't just razed more zones in the past. Just doesn't have the army for it, I guess?

Why are so many Northrend zones still teeming with life? We haven't been there in ages, why didn't he swarm down the glacier and take over Sholozar, or ruin the Grizzly hills? He can't take out a couple of wolvar, gorlocs and furbolgs?

Anyway, the main thing that I think is stupid about this permanent Lich King thing is that for Blizz's purposes, there's no trouble in simply having a new one show up regardless. Frostmourne is taken and carefully guarded by the alliance, but then the horde doesn't trust them to take care of it, so another war erupts and in the confusion somebody ends up taking it. Hopefully Garrosh!

This is somewhat explained in the Arthas novel.
    Arthas had spent the majority of the 5 year period in hibernation while he was coming to grip with becoming the Lich King. His commanders had tried to fill in and that lead to the disaster they encountered in Zul'drak.

As far as Sholozar is concerned
    There's a questline that deals specifically with this. The Scourge couldn't enter due to a defensive system the Titans had put in place since it was one of their biological sandboxes. It wasn't until some commander in the Scourge had realized that they could have living members of the Cult of the Damned destroy the the pillars that the undead started showing up

EDIT: beaten on Sholozar

Nobody on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

One explaination (aside from Sholozar) that he hasn't wiped over the continent is that he is holding himself back.

Or, he is waiting for the only forces that possibly pose a threat to him (Darion, Tirion, Thrall, Jaina, Garrosh, the Aspects, player raids) to come to him, strike at his base of power, fail and be turned. Then nothing will stand in his way aside from intervention from an extremely powerful force otherwise generally removed from most Azerothian affairs (Elune? The Narru? Mothra?).

I think we'll probably get some explainations from the Arthas fight or the epilogue after he is defeated or something.

Naphtali on
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    My interpretation of what Uther was infering was - the Lich King dies, and all the undead go loose and wild.

Don't they still carry the plague? Players may not worry about it but the zombie event showed sort of what could happen if they could be effected by the plague, and the Alliance/Horde populations at large. If they go wild, and spread off everywhere then there's a good chance -everything- on Azeroth will die/become undead/plagued/etc. Oops.

But it's all circular.

If the goal was to destroy all life on Azeroth using the Lich King and the Scourge, why then would killing the Lich King result in the destruction of all life on Azeroth?

It doesn't make any sense.

Unless the total destruction of all life on Azeroth wasn't the goal, and somehow Arthas fucked that up when it took over...who knows? Maybe there's a super-secret reveal in the last encounter that makes sense of all this.

I'm hopeful, but not optimistic.

ironzerg on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I cannot bring myself to believe that the wholesale slaughter Arthas has already committed, and massive, direct assaults on huge capital cities, jive with him having this sliver of humanity where he only wants to mostly kill us.

But then I also think the handling of Arthas/Lich King has been messed up the entire expansion.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I guess ultimately taking the big movers and shakers from an RTS campaign who are supposed to lead armies and turning them into static bosses in a big evil castle where anyone can just walk into and kill them every week has its downsides.

Naphtali on
  • Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    What about the fifteen or so times during quests where he's all "Ha ha ha. I'ma let you live so you can see how badass I am." Heck, I remember at least once, he even outright said "I'll be waiting for you in the frozen heart of Icecrown."

At least once, he should have killed you and Alexstrasza should have had to bring you back to life or something.

Samphis on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I guess ultimately taking the big movers and shakers from an RTS campaign who are supposed to lead armies and turning them into static bosses in a big evil castle where anyone can just walk into and kill them every week has its downsides.

Except we had no problem doing that with Illidan. Hell, I think we could have done that here, where killing the Lich King could somehow banish him back to the Twisting Nether where he could potentially be brought back in some form.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Septus wrote: »

Except we had no problem doing that with Illidan. Hell, I think we could have done that here, where killing the Lich King could somehow banish him back to the Twisting Nether where he could potentially be brought back in some form.

I didn't raid in TBC but I could have sworn reading on the forums here in the past people bitching about Illidan's role in TBC being reduced to just sitting in the Black Temple.

Naphtali on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Undead gone wild!
    Come see them take thier shirts off for some real horror!
    What lies in their pants is better left to your imangintion

I understand why they showed Arthas in various places and his interaction with players. Because I ran too much into who is Illidan and who is the legion when I would go around killing the Shattrath guards yelling FOR THE LEGION! in TBC

Brainleech on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

I see no problem with this. But then I already play an undead, so I may be biased.

Decomposey on
  • Options
    AbbalahAbbalah Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I didn't raid in TBC but I could have sworn reading on the forums here in the past people bitching about Illidan's role in TBC being reduced to just sitting in the Black Temple.

There was a great deal of bitching about that, not just here but in general.

That's WHY you run into Arthas like a dozen times while leveling, so it felt like he was actually out doing stuff.

So now we are bitching about that, instead.

And if they had set it up so that Arthas just kills you whenever he sees you like a smart villain would, people would be bitching about how bullshit it is that the Lich King gets to just murder you repeatedly for fun.

Fundamentally, Blizzard could send people around to subscriber's houses to give out free blowjobs and the official forums would be full of posts about how they used too much teeth.

Abbalah on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I like running into Arthas, first time it happened I was all "shiiiiiiit D:"

I guess, like in life, even in death Arthas is not the smartest tool in the toolbox. If he were smart, he would have killed you as you leveled. Or completely taken over Northrend and resumed invading the rest of the world.

And now we know why he's going to still lose despite being hopelessly more powerful then pretty much anyone else outside of perhaps Elune or the Titans. He's a idiot.

(Or Blizzard likes money rather then being realistic!)

Naphtali on
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Abbalah wrote: »

There was a great deal of bitching about that, not just here but in general.

That's WHY you run into Arthas like a dozen times while leveling, so it felt like he was actually out doing stuff.

So now we are bitching about that, instead.

And if they had set it up so that Arthas just kills you whenever he sees you like a smart villain would, people would be bitching about how bullshit it is that the Lich King gets to just murder you repeatedly for fun.

Fundamentally, Blizzard could send people around to subscriber's houses to give out free blowjobs and the official forums would be full of posts about how they used too much teeth.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=111135

Sure, why not.

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    What's funny to me is that the Lich King actually works better for the "he sits in his castle and you never see him" thing. Since he communicates to his minion's through telepathy. But instead, he's out and about. Seein the sights.

And he does kill you at least once, if you're not paying attention. In HF.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    PierceNeck wrote: »
    What's funny to me is that the Lich King actually works better for the "he sits in his castle and you never see him" thing. Since he communicates to his minion's through telepathy. But instead, he's out and about. Seein the sights.

That was the first time I ran into him in Northrend, actually. It was pretty cool.

And since he basically says "Hey get stronger so you'll be a better undead servant" at that juncture, that kind of goes back to my "he's waiting for anything that can possibly stop him to try to stop him at ICC and fail and be turned" point.

Naphtali on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Isn't that Alliance-only, though? As a Horde player, I'm just about to Loremaster of Northrend (just need Zul'Drak) and he hasn't lifted a finger to attack me (other than in Halls of Reflection).

Samphis on
  • Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah probably Alliance only. You get the quest that allows that to happen in the Alliance camp right next to that area.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I just bought dual spec for my druid because I am a failcat. I spec'ed balance. Any advice on getting a set of gear good enough for doing heroic random dungeons?

jackal on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    HF?

is it the quest where
    THe shaman has you collect some items for him so you can visit the spirit realm for a history lesson

Brainleech on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    jackal wrote: »
    I just bought dual spec for my druid because I am a failcat. I spec'ed balance. Any advice on getting a set of gear good enough for doing heroic random dungeons?

What is your main spec?
    Just suffer with your main spec and buy the gear for your off that is what I am doing with my paladin

Brainleech on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The crafted ilevel 200 blues can be had for very cheap on the auction house (at least on my server). I hit 80 and bought a full set of blue gear for ~700 gold.

Samphis on
  • Options
    TheTishTheTish Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    PierceNeck wrote: »

Hehe... I remember running into him there. Oh hey! It's Arthas! *squish*...

TheTish on
    sig-1117080.jpg
    -- Gnome mage enchantress and inscriptionologist... er scribbler --
    sig-1497520.jpg
    sig-1497534.jpg
This discussion has been closed.