As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Computer Help] Trying to fix a friend's laptop...

Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
It's a fairly old Toshiba running Windows XP with a recent hard drive wipe/reset.

If I leave it alone after switching it on, it does a disc check. And then at some point, it just restarts again and begins a disc check. And then it starts again and does a disc check. It gets about halfway through the "verifying files" state (4 of 5) before starting over. It seems to vary at which stage it restarts.

If I cancel the disc check, it goes to the log in screen, I log in...I see a flash of a blue screen with a message I don't have time to read, and then it reboots again. Sometimes it goes to the login screen and reboots again immediately.

Sometimes it goes to a blackscreen that says Windows did not start successfully. None of the start up options there- safe mode, start windows normally, etc, work.

Professor Phobos on

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Well it obviously sounds like a HDD issue. Maybe you could find a good HDD tester to see if it's still good? You'll have to boot from CD in order to have it work. I used to use TuffTest at my work, but I'm not sure if it's free or not.

urahonky on
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Disable restart on BSOD then come back with the error code.

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Paladin wrote: »

The problem is it never lets me get into Windows at all, so I can't disable the automatic restart. Thanks though, I didn't know you could do that.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    ryjasenryjasen Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Find a copy of Hiren's Boot CD, boot of that and run some hdd/system diags. If nothing else you should be able to track the problem down. Or just get a copy of a WinPE or BartPE and try to run a chkdsk from there to see if it fixes anything.

ryjasen on
  • Options
    General_WinGeneral_Win Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Paladin wrote: »

The problem is it never lets me get into Windows at all, so I can't disable the automatic restart. Thanks though, I didn't know you could do that.

After the bios is done loading, but before the disk check starts, there should be a brief period of time where you can mash F8, this should leave to the windows boot menu with options like: safe mode, safe mode with networking and disable automatic restart. Try all three.

General_Win on
    tf2_sig.png