As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

African Americans

2»

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    OK
    1) i stated that HE'S not bothered by it
    2) the main issue i have is that "african american" should not mean "black"

can you have a black "Italian american" or is that reserved only for white people?

There are literally thousands of scholarships not based on race that he could have applied for. But he didn't. He applied for the one specifically for black people, despite being black. He knew this. This makes him a douchebag.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited January 2010
    I'd like to remind everyone of the incredibly specific rules we have regarding which insults are applicable in any given situation.

Tube on
  • Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Personally I don't like the idea of tying someone to what their ancestors did before them, but whatever.

Ultimately Thanatos is right. That money is intended to help black kids who aren't in the greatest position to get higher up go to college. To try and take that without fitting in the (poorly worded) criteria they demand is a bad thing.

Like Feral says, there are other scholarships. He should apply for those.

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Thanatos....You assuming that any white person in africa is bad is the same as a cop assuming any black guy driving a nice car stole it. both are wrong man.
    Regardless of whether or not every white person was taking a shit on every black person in Africa, they were garnering huge societal benefits from their race as a whole taking a shit on the black race as a whole. It's like if I said "well, my family may have made all its money from owning slaves and running a plantation, but I personally did not own slaves, so me getting rich off of that is okay."

Of course, maybe your friend came from one of the countries where black people lived equally with white people. Tell me, which African country is your friend from? And what did his grandparents and great-grandparents do there?

Edit: And really, saying that "white people in Africa treated black people like shit" and "any black person driving a nice car" are equivalent is fucking ridiculous.

Thanatos on
  • HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Thanatos wrote: »
    I'm just unfairly stereotyping.

Fixed that for you. You don't know his friend, you don't know his friend's family. You're making a judgment based on race and geography, sounds like unfair stereotyping to me.

Before you jump on me with the "You know know how bad white Africans were, man" I'm fully aware of the historical injustices committed by Europeans, Americans, and Arabs in Africa. I'm also fully aware of the fact that there are lots of people, white, black, Persian, Arab, Chinese, etc. who are trying to make things better, and attempting to deal with the tons of white, black, Persian, Arab, Chinese, etc. people trying to stop them.

NakedZergling's point about minority scholarships being oversimplified is a valid one. They are. That doesn't mean they're not coming from the right place. Even so, racially targeting educational funding doesn't make as much sense as basing them off of all socio-economic factors. Plenty of good scholarships have shifted in that direction, and hopefully more will. An impoverished or underfunded person who is qualified deserves a scholarship regardless of race.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Heartlash wrote: »
    Even so, racially targeting educational funding doesn't make as much sense as basing them off of all socio-economic factors.

Race is a socioeconomic factor.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    OK

can you have a black "Italian american" or is that reserved only for white people?

There are literally thousands of scholarships not based on race that he could have applied for. But he didn't. He applied for the one specifically for black people, despite being black. He knew this. This makes him a douchebag.

No he applied for the one for "African Americans" this is my point. If they mean Black then say black. It's basically saying to him "you're not really an african american, because in america that term refers to color and not where someone is from...even though an irish american means from ireland, and an Italian american means from Italy, etc...."

NakedZergling on
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    OK

No he applied for the one for "African Americans" this is my point. If they mean Black then say black. It's basically saying to him "you're not really an african american, because in america that term refers to color and not where someone is from...even though an irish american means from ireland, and an Italian american means from Italy, etc...."

But, in America, rightly or wrongly, "African American" means "black". You know that, I know that, he knows that. Stop playing the bullshit semantics game.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    Heartlash wrote: »
    Even so, racially targeting educational funding doesn't make as much sense as basing them off of all socio-economic factors.

Race is a socioeconomic factor.

Exactly, hence why I said "all". I'm saying the picture needs to be more holistic. In some cases it's still limited to a checkbox for "race".

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited January 2010
    Alright there's clearly little prospect of this getting any smarter.

Tube on
This discussion has been closed.