As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

getting frustrated with college loans. help?

DarkSymphonyDarkSymphony Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
basically, I'm working on attending my first year of college asap and I tried going last year, only to be declined on a credit-basis for a private loan. My parents *refuse* to cosign (no fucking clue why) so I have to get the credit myself.

Now, I got a credit card for just such a matter about a year and a half ago. I racked up a good credit amount that's still manageable and I've been making every payment on time ever since. I just tried getting a credit pre approval and I'm still unable to get a credit based loan myself.

What are some good ways to build yet more credit so that I can get a loan? and, as a second question, what are good places to be able to get approved?

DarkSymphony on

• Options
    MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    When I filled out my Fafsa or something related to the Financial Aid office I said that I would be interested in student loans and the only credit I had to my name was a small car loan that had been cosigned with my dad. I have my student loans through www.edfiancial.com I'm not sure if you can go directly to them to get a loan but they helped a lot.

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Go to a state school and commute from your parents house. If you also have a part time job, you'll be able to afford it with your stafford loans.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    that's just it, I'm gonna be attending UVM and I live 15 minutes from there. That part is fine, however I'm doing a non degree program for the first 14 credits so I can be metriculated afterwards. The problem is that I have to get the credit first so I can actually get the loan in order to go for those 14 credits. After that, i can use the full stafford and won't have as much of an issue affording it. It's the first 1-2 semesters I'm having trouble with.

DarkSymphony on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So you basically need $6,200 for a program that you probably can't get a student loan for. Fuck man, that's harsh.

I can totally understand why your parents won't cosign a loan as it is very easy for you to fuck up THEIR credit score, but is there maybe something you can work out with the Bank of Dad?

I don't see many financial institutions jumping at the opportunity to give out unsecured loans to people with limited credit histories. Sorry dude. :(

Deebaser on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    correct, that is what I need and yeah, it's an uphill battle. I'm not entirely sure what I can do really.

DarkSymphony on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Worst case scenario is to delay it a semester and work your ass off at as many jobs as you can, scrimping every penny you're able to.

If you're living with your parents and they are taking care of most of your bills you should be able to save the money you need in a few months.

adytum on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I can only suggest two things then:

Go to the Financial Aid office at the school. They specialize in finding money for otherwise fucked people.
    Use the internets and find some scholarships. I found a few hundred dollars for undergrad back in the day and I was an upper middle class white kid, B student, on the Track Varisty B team. You don't need to be exceptional, you just need to find someone who doesn't mind giving you money :)

Deebaser on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Deebaser wrote: »

Go to the Financial Aid office at the school. They specialize in finding money for otherwise fucked people.
    Use the internets and find some scholarships. I found a few hundred dollars for undergrad back in the day and I was an upper middle class white kid, B student, on the Track Varisty B team. You don't need to be exceptional, you just need to find someone who doesn't mind giving you money :)

FA offices are obnoxious and bureaucratic once you've started giving them money, but up until then they're surprisingly helpful! (I wonder why.) Among other things, they should have lists of the aforementioned scholarships.

admanb on
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    What are you going to school for? It's actually a little important financially.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    witch_iewitch_ie Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Your other option might be to change how you're doing your schooling so that you do qualify for student loans. I may be missing something here, but what is the purpose of the non-degree program that you're doing?

witch_ie on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    witch_ie wrote: »
    Your other option might be to change how you're doing your schooling so that you do qualify for student loans. I may be missing something here, but what is the purpose of the non-degree program that you're doing?

He's getting credits that he needs in order to enroll in his actual degree program.

admanb on
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    admanb wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »

FA offices are obnoxious and bureaucratic once you've started giving them money, but up until then they're surprisingly helpful! (I wonder why.) Among other things, they should have lists of the aforementioned scholarships.

Your mileage may vary.
    My school is private and extremely expensive, but as a Junior here, they have never been anything but polite and helpful to me. While some bigger schools may have offices that are rude, mine have been great the entire time.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    well, here's the thing. I'm 27 and heading back into school. To go to UVM I have to enroll in a non-degree program called the Guarenteed Admissions program. once completed, I will be enrolled as a standard degree student. Now, what I'm thinking is going to the local community college and getting pre requisite classes and applying to the school afterwards. I wonder if that would work.

DarkSymphony on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    well, here's the thing. I'm 27 and heading back into school. To go to UVM I have to enroll in a non-degree program called the Guarenteed Admissions program. once completed, I will be enrolled as a standard degree student. Now, what I'm thinking is going to the local community college and getting pre requisite classes and applying to the school afterwards. I wonder if that would work.

Many community colleges have agreements with state universities. I went for two years then transferred to a local uni with 0 problems.

adytum on
  • Options
    iamthepiemaniamthepieman Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Depending on what you are going to school for you could get a grant from a scientific or other field-based association.

Here's a rough starting point

iamthepieman on
  • Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm not sure if you've done this yet, but as someone else mentioned, fill out your FAFSA report. Almost every federal and state loan for education will require that you complete the FAFSA.

As for building your credit score, unpaid balances are not good on credit cards. They like it when you spend a reasonable amount every month, and then pay it all off. I think they also like it when you have at least 2, maybe 3, credit cards. Just make sure you use all of them every once in a while, and pay everything off in full, every month. Finally, they look for how long you've had your credit cards. If you've had them less than 3 years you just kind of get screwed. Not a lot, but somewhat.

Jebus314 on
    "The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible