As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ports blocked in Win 7

VistiVisti Registered User regular
Alright guys, I'm having an infuriating problem. A mate and I bought a couple of games over Steam specifically for playing together, but apparently the ports are blocked on both our computers, so that we can't create servers just for ourselves. Now, I set up port forwarding in my router. Ports still blocked. Put the computer in DMZ, ports still blocked. Added exceptions to Windows Firewall. Ports still blocked. Disabled Firewall completely, no dice. Cut the router out and connected the computer straight to the cable modem. Still blocked. I'm pulling my hair out here.

Running portquery on the machine and checking if ports are open on 127.0.0.1 with the Windows Firewall off and no other security software installed still reports blocked ports on everything.

What the hell could this be?

I used portquery and www.canyouseeme.org to check the ports.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Visti on

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    which ports? maybe another service is running on those?

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Most residential ISP's block ports to combat viruses and spam. The most commonly blocked ports are port 80 and port 25.
    Maybe that's it :p

Also, are you SURE the other computer is not at fault?

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Most residential ISP's block ports to combat viruses and spam. The most commonly blocked ports are port 80 and port 25.

PORT 80 DOWN PORT 80 DOWN!

Wait, how am I reading this?

mrt144 on
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Well, I'm not trying to tunnel game traffic through port 80, I'm using Steam's ports which are mostly 27000-27050 and 4380.

And no, the other computer is having similar problems with hosting, but that shouldn't really matter if he's able to join my games, so now I'm focusing solely on the task of opening ports on my computer. ISP blocking ports could be a cause, but man.. Everything is blocked. Seems like an overzealous firewall to me, except they're all taken down, so unless Win 7 has some sort of extra layer of protection.. I'm not sure what could be the cause.

Again, the specifics aren't as important as the fact that there's just seemingly no way to open these ports to my computer, something that I'd like very much to have control over..

I appreciate the input, though.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]