As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Catcher in the Rye says J.D. Sallinger must die! [rip J.D. Salinger]

JokermanJokerman EverythingEverywhereRegistered User regular
edited January 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
The Seminal author of "The Catcher in the Rye" has passed away at the ripe age of 91.
jd-salinger-0209-lg-27368112.jpg
AP Article wrote:
NEW YORK — J.D. Salinger, the legendary author, youth hero and fugitive from fame whose "The Catcher in the Rye" shocked and inspired a world he increasingly shunned, has died. He was 91.

Salinger died of natural causes at his home on Wednesday, the author's son said in a statement from Salinger's literary representative. He had lived for decades in self-imposed isolation in the small, remote house in Cornish, N.H.

"The Catcher in the Rye," with its immortal teenage protagonist, the twisted, rebellious Holden Caulfield, came out in 1951, a time of anxious, Cold War conformity and the dawn of modern adolescence. The Book-of-the-Month Club, which made "Catcher" a featured selection, advised that for "anyone who has ever brought up a son" the novel will be "a source of wonder and delight — and concern."

Enraged by all the "phonies" who make "me so depressed I go crazy," Holden soon became American literature's most famous anti-hero since Huckleberry Finn. The novel's sales are astonishing — more than 60 million copies worldwide — and its impact incalculable. Decades after publication, the book remains a defining expression of that most American of dreams — to never grow up.

Salinger was writing for adults, but teenagers from all over identified with the novel's themes of alienation, innocence and fantasy, not to mention the luck of having the last word. "Catcher" presents the world as an ever-so-unfair struggle between the goodness of young people and the corruption of elders, a message that only intensified with the oncoming generation gap.

:(

I dont know about any of y'all, but this is extremely heartbreaking.

Jokerman on

• themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    RIP.

Although 91 years and 61 million copies ain't that heartbreaking.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    RIP.

And it'll probably be the first time he's left his house in decades. Sounds like a quirky movie in the making.

Octoparrot on
  • JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Octoparrot wrote: »
    RIP.

And it'll probably be the first time he's left his house in decades. Sounds like a quirky movie in the making.

YOU'RE THE MAN NOW, DAWG!

Jokerman on
  • THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    RIP.

Weekend at J.D's?

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • denihilistdenihilist Ancient and Mighty Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2010
    RIP.

He went to see the latest Terminator movie and loved it.

21865_1250515435103_1596004534_30609067_1116554_n.jpg

denihilist on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I don't recall much of it now, as it's been over a decade, but I do recall enjoying Catcher in the Rye when I read it in high school.

RIP indeed.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    denihilist wrote: »
    RIP.

He went to see the latest Terminator movie and loved it.

21865_1250515435103_1596004534_30609067_1116554_n.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ4B7G8Rw3Q

mrt144 on
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Read Catcher in the Rye in high school during my senior year... late 03, early 04. The book seemed just as relevant now as I imagine it was then. That's quality writing.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • CauldCauld Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    RIP.

Maybe this is what "Finding Forrester" was losely based on. (not the befriending an inner city baseketball player/writer part. The shut in who wrote the great american novel part)

Cauld on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Shit. :(

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I was just thinking of Salinger/Catcher in the Rye today, because I realized Mark David Chapman is up for parole again this year. It sucks that such a genius work of literature was used as a reason for murder.

R.I.P., Salinger.

joshofalltrades on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Since he's been in seclusion so long I wonder what writing will be unearthed by his estate

nexuscrawler on
    edited January 2010
    Since he's been in seclusion so long I wonder what writing will be unearthed by his estate

It will be revealed that J.D. Salinger and J.K. Rowlings are actually the same person.

edit: I really do wonder, and have wondered for years, if Salinger had published anything under a pseudonym all this time. I wouldn't be surprised if he had, and I wouldn't be surprised if we never find out.

Drez on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Cauld wrote: »
    RIP.

Maybe this is what "Finding Forrester" was losely based on. (not the befriending an inner city baseketball player/writer part. The shut in who wrote the great american novel part)

I thought it was pretty clear that Connery's character was based on Salinger. At least, that's what I assumed the moment I saw it.

Of course, the movie is so devoid of subtlety they could have based it on Stephen King.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    Catcher in the Rye was the worst book I was ever forced to read in highschool

Holden Cryfield, anybody?

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
    edited January 2010
    Kazhiim wrote: »

Why am I not surprised you have a silly goose of an opinion on this, Kazhiim.

I bet you liked A Separate Peace, too.

Drez on
  • WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Peculiarly I thought he was already dead.

Poor Salinger. RIP.

WMain00 on
  • KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    Drez wrote: »

I... I might have

maybe

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    D:

Pretty Mouth and Green My Eyes is the best short story I've ever read. I can't decide on a favorite novel by Catcher is up there. A real loss

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I... I might have

maybe

damn phonies

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

Thank you.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Howard Zinn, JD Salinger

we need one more famous author to complete the Rule of Three.

My money is on Gore Vidal.

Hachface on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hachface wrote: »
    Howard Zinn, JD Salinger

we need one more famous author to complete the Rule of Three.

My money is on Gore Vidal.

I'm hoping for Stephanie Meyer... because I just want to see her name mentioned in conjunction with two literary greats.

And I want her dead.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Chanus wrote: »

Thank you.

Go be wrong someplace else. This isnt the thread for this.

Jokerman on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

So you are saying it was an accurate description of teenage behavior.

Couscous on
  • ClipseClipse Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Man, A Separate Peace was way better than Catcher in the Rye. Also, The Great Gatsby.

Clipse on
  • GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Time for a memorial Ghost in the Shell marathon

Greeper on
  • LucidLucid Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Kazhiim you are such a phony

Lucid on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Clipse wrote: »

Man, A Separate Peace was way better than Catcher in the Rye. Also, The Great Gatsby.

Wait, Gatsby as in good or Gatsby as in the most god awful self absorbed narcissistic piece of crap the planet had seen until the baby boomers came of age?

Catcher in the Rye was excellent, as was a significant amount of Sallinger's other works. I'd say he'll be missed, but he's already been missed so I'm not sure that would be accurate.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I am a teenager and read Catcher in the Rye out of free will (because of Conspiracy Theory, if you wanna know)

And I really liked it.

It's impossible not to identify with Holden. Also since it was written by an adult and not an emo kid it had a great ending.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
    edited January 2010
    Clipse wrote: »

You're the silliest silly silly goose that ever laid a silly goosen egg you silly silly goose.

Because A Separate Peace may be the worst book in existence.

I'm being COMPLETELY HONEST when I say I:

a) Read the first Twilight book,
    b) Enjoyed it more than A Separate Peace, and
    c) Thought it had more literary merit than A Separate Peace.

Drez on
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    I am a teenager and read Catcher in the Rye out of free will (because of Conspiracy Theory, if you wanna know)

And I really liked it.

It's impossible not to identify with Holden. Also since it was written by an adult and not an emo kid it had a great ending.

It really DOES resonate with teenagers, but at the same time it's not good just because it resonates.

mrt144 on
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    This makes me sad.

Catcher in the Rye is fantastic.

_J_ on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Greeper wrote: »
    Time for a memorial Ghost in the Shell marathon

I was just thinking that.

But no. Instead, I think what I'll do is, I'll pretend I'm one of those deaf-mutes.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

What a flit.

Deebaser on
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Why are we disgracing Mr. Sallinger's thread by mentioning A Seperate Peace.

Fuck that book, seriously.

Deebaser on
  • themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    PantsB wrote: »
    D:

Pretty Mouth and Green My Eyes is the best short story I've ever read. I can't decide on a favorite novel by Catcher is up there. A real loss

Sad yes, but not really a loss since he hasn't published anything for years. As for Catcher in the Rye, I think it is one of the most accessible books in the high school canon (at least for a guy). It is pretty short and funny. I was amazed to be reminded that the book was published in 1951.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

I was amazed to be reminded that the book was published in 1951.

I was shocked when I realized Salinger was 91. Thanks to the fact that there's only a few old pictures of him out there, I always assumed he was younger.

Butler For Life #1 on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    http://www.theonion.com/content/news/bunch_of_phonies_mourn_j_d
    CORNISH, NH—In this big dramatic production that didn't do anyone any good (and was pretty embarrassing, really, if you think about it), thousands upon thousands of phonies across the country mourned the death of author J.D. Salinger, who was 91 years old for crying out loud. "He had a real impact on the literary world and on millions of readers," said hot-shot English professor David Clarke, who is just like the rest of them, and even works at one of those crumby schools that rich people send their kids to so they don't have to look at them for four years. "There will never be another voice like his." Which is exactly the lousy kind of goddamn thing that people say, because really it could mean lots of things, or nothing at all even, and it's just a perfect example of why you should never tell anybody anything.

Couscous on
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    http://www.theonion.com/content/news/bunch_of_phonies_mourn_j_d
    CORNISH, NH—In this big dramatic production that didn't do anyone any good (and was pretty embarrassing, really, if you think about it), thousands upon thousands of phonies across the country mourned the death of author J.D. Salinger, who was 91 years old for crying out loud. "He had a real impact on the literary world and on millions of readers," said hot-shot English professor David Clarke, who is just like the rest of them, and even works at one of those crumby schools that rich people send their kids to so they don't have to look at them for four years. "There will never be another voice like his." Which is exactly the lousy kind of goddamn thing that people say, because really it could mean lots of things, or nothing at all even, and it's just a perfect example of why you should never tell anybody anything.

That is perfect.

_J_ on