As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Fantasy RTS games? (Not Warcraft/BFME)

815165815165 Registered User regular
edited February 2010 in Games and Technology
Are there any good ones?

Things I like in an RTS game:
  • Offline skirmish mode
  • base building
  • that's about it

Preferably ones that still look pretty but that isn't important, oh and for the PC, playing an RTS without a mouse isn't for me.

815165 on

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Medieval 2: Total War is basically a turn-based strategy game which sets up various RTS battles.

There's, apparently, a fantastic Lord of the Rings mod for it, which gives it a fantasy flavor.

Not sure if you're interested in that, however.

Elvenshae on
  • DJ Cam CamDJ Cam Cam Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Majesty 2. You put down cash on getting something done and see if anyone is willing to do the work for the money.

DJ Cam Cam on
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Demigod counts right? But I think it doesn't have base building... Not sure about that.

demigod_ss1.jpg

Satsumomo on
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Demigod counts right? But I think it doesn't have base building... Not sure about that.
    It's got sorta base building, in that you purchase upgrades to your existing structures.

Elvenshae on
  • OpiumOpium regular
    edited January 2010
    fjlt85.jpg

Opium on
  • AdditionalPylonsAdditionalPylons Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Opium wrote: »
    fjlt85.jpg

I never managed to get good at this game. :x They still sell it at GOG though....i might try it again....but i remember sucking pretty hard at it

AdditionalPylons on
  • JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    While Sacrifice is awesome and all it doesn't actually have that much base building.

Check out Sins of a Solar Empire.

Jutranjo on
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Haven't tried it yet, but Spellforce 2 might be something for you. From what I played of the first game, it's a RTS/RPG hybrid, and a much better at that one than WC3.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Jutranjo wrote: »
    While Sacrifice is awesome and all it doesn't actually have that much base building.

While Sins of a Solar Empire is awesome and all it isn't actually fantasy.

Check out Dungeon Keeper 2.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • AdditionalPylonsAdditionalPylons Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Its good to be bad
    SOOO GOOOD

AdditionalPylons on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Opium wrote: »
    fjlt85.jpg

I never managed to get good at this game. :x They still sell it at GOG though....i might try it again....but i remember sucking pretty hard at it

Brutal Legend is basically Heavy Metal Sacrifice on a console, and it's amazing. Someone from Sacrifice worked on the multiplayer for it, too.

You need this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HemObq8buTw]Multiplayer Overview

I got to ask Tim Schafer about the comparisons of Brutal Legend and Sacrifice and Battlezone, he said it's inspired from something much, much older. Herzog Zwei for Genesis.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Ed321Ed321 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Kingdom Under Fire: A War of Heroes (the original, non-console version was basically a super hard version of Starcraft - or, uh, Warcraft) So obscure it doesn't even have a wiki page. I really enjoyed it though, especially the main menu track.

Total Annihilation: Kingdoms, depending on how far back you're willing to go. Be aware the graphics are pretty awful even by the standards of the time (I only played for a few hours, so maybe I'm remembering it wrong)

Ed321 on
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Haven't tried it yet, but Spellforce 2 might be something for you. From what I played of the first game, it's a RTS/RPG hybrid, and a much better at that one than WC3.

I was going to suggest this. I enjoyed Spellforce 2 a lot, it's pretty good and very underrated. The storyline and the fact you get a sort of "main character" RPG style with equipment, plus you get base building and RTS stuff, is really a cool combo that more games should do.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I remember there was something about Spellforce 2 that made me uninstall like 4 times. I so wanted to like it, too.

Probably the controls. They were just clunky and awkward.

Also, stay away from TA: Kingdoms. Game was so bad it killed the series and possibly the studio. Well, not really, but it certainly helped put the last few nails in the coffin.

I remember Armies of Exigo was decent oldschool RTS action. You could go underground, which has to count for something.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    dawn of war: Dark Crusade.

still play skirmish modes. and the modding community is continuously releasing new units and modes that GREATLY extend the campaign and offline skirmish modes.

delphinus on
  • Vangu VegroVangu Vegro Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It doesn't seem to be very popular, but I quite liked Dragonshard.

Vangu Vegro on
    In my PC: Ryzom, Diablo III, Naruto Shippuden UNSR, The Old Republic
    In my 3DS: Super Smash Bros, AC New Leaf
    Last game completed: Steamworld Dig
  • GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Spellforce 2

Sacrifice (low on building, high on awesome. See also: Myth 2)

Dungeon Keeper 2.

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
    edited January 2010

I kind of forgot this exsisted. I remember waiting and getting this on release day and being all hyped. Apparently i was the only one. It wasn't as good as expected, but not horrid.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
    edited January 2010

I kind of forgot this exsisted. I remember waiting and getting this on release day and being all hyped. Apparently i was the only one. It wasn't as good as expected, but not horrid.

I remember playing a demo, then forgetting about it for years and then buying it again last year. I can't recall why I stopped playing, but it's basically like Warcraft 3.

Ed321 on
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    No, this is not getting to the second page without a mention of Myth, damnit.

Myth TFL and Myth II: Soulblighter are two of my favorite games of all time. See why Bungie used to be one of the most awesome dev houses around.

Drake on
    edited January 2010
    Drake wrote: »

Myth TFL and Myth II: Soulblighter are two of my favorite games of all time. See why Bungie used to be one of the most awesome dev houses around.

I agree, but the OP seems to be more into C&C/WC3 style stuff.

Ed321 on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah if one of the only 2 things he wants in his game is base building, Myth might not be the best option.

Someone suggested Majesty 2 but I'll throw my hat in the ring for Majesty 1.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • RipsawRipsaw Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Kohan series.

Ripsaw on
    edited January 2010
    Ripsaw wrote: »
    Kohan series.

Which reminds me of...Warrior Kings! Best. Narration. Ever.

Also Battle Realms - very WC3-esque albeit on a slightly smaller scale.

Ed321 on
  • BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Rise of Legends
    Age of Mythology

Also I freaking loved the Kohan series so much. Kohan 1 is my favorite RTS ever

Bamelin on
    edited January 2010
    Ed321 wrote: »

I agree, but the OP seems to be more into C&C/WC3 style stuff.

I didn't know I liked sushi until I tried it.

Plus, Myth and Myth II are just about the greatest RTS games of all time. Base building be damned. Stupid build queues and resources.

Be a commander, who crushes evil against the odds, not some middle manager of logistical overkill .

Myth is a very different game than most RTS. It's the first one I can think of that had no base building, you get to carry units over from mission to mission and they become more badass along the way. The story is fantastic and well presented. The mod scene is still rolling along, keeping the games updated and modern(ish) while cranking out all kinds of single player and multiplayer mods.

Drake on
  • NathrakNathrak Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Warlords Battlecry 3 fits and I thought it was pretty good. World map campaign that lets you choose where to go and you can customize your hero pretty well.

Nathrak on
  • WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Bamelin wrote: »
    Rise of Legends
    Age of Mythology

Also I freaking loved the Kohan series so much. Kohan 1 is my favorite RTS ever

Age of Mythology was the most relaxing RTS EVER. It was so damn chill...

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The Lord of the Rings RTS games are actually pretty good.

You might want to check out Battleforge, since it's free. You summon units and buildings from a deck of cards, but once they are summoned the game plays (and looks) a lot like Warcraft III.

There was a pretty good fantasy RTS called Worldshift that came out recently. I've liked what I played so far, but have only put a bit of time into it.

Hensler on
  • ZellZell Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Ed321 wrote: »
    Total Annihilation: Kingdoms, depending on how far back you're willing to go. Be aware the graphics are pretty awful even by the standards of the time (I only played for a few hours, so maybe I'm remembering it wrong
    I seem to remember it being very pretty at 1920x1200 with all the graphical effects enabled. Maybe because I hate 3D RTS games and their horrible cameras that won't ever let me see anything at all. IIRC one of the main flaws with Kingdoms was how powerful defences were which is probably just an advantage to someone who likes building bases.

Zell on
    edited January 2010
    Hensler wrote: »
    The Lord of the Rings RTS games are actually pretty good.

You might want to check out Battleforge, since it's free. You summon units and buildings from a deck of cards, but once they are summoned the game plays (and looks) a lot like Warcraft III.

There was a pretty good fantasy RTS called Worldshift that came out recently. I've liked what I played so far, but have only put a bit of time into it.

battleforge is fun. And they've improved it and made the free mode more viable recently. You can get the cash shop points out of buying bargain bin copies of the $50 box for $8, thats what i did when i started on Battleforge. I bought 2 $8 boxed copies and ended up getting like $90 worth of points or something crazy like that.

Elimination on
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Red Alert 2 is the only RTS I've ever played, been marginally decent at, and loved.

Not fantasy though... still fun.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • RenegenRenegen Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Armies of Exigo. A pure RTS and really good to boot.

Renegen on
    ---Yeah
  • ACSISACSIS Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Sins isn't actually a RTS either. Its a RT4X. Yes, i am smartassing here, excuse me. But... you have to see that Sins actually is not the usual cup of tea for your run-of-the-mill RTS guy. Think more like... a realtime representation of a classical turnbased 4x game like Master of Orion.

Its NOT your usual RTS. Okay, it CAN be played that way on small maps missing 90% of the gameplay and techtree, but thats not really doing it justice. Its not something you play online matches in 20 minutes. Its something you take to your friends to a LAN evening with a few hours time. Either you love it or hate it. I love it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8c6VsnkuhY

And BTW: i still prefer Dungeon Keeper 1 above its sequel. It has dragons... an more monsters anyway...

Dawn of War (first one) with all expansions is pretty solid... its not quite fantasy however... more space elves, streetgang orcs and cyberskeletons. An ankward mix. But a good one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UID6LEzvRRo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRiU2N03Rzs

ACSIS on
  • OpiumOpium regular
    edited January 2010
    If you have a DS you might wanna give Final Fantasy Revenant Wings a try

final-fantasy-xii-revenant-wings-08.jpg

Opium on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Holy shit. I just had my first 4 on 4 online in Brutal Legend.

If you have an Xbox 360, I can't recommend it enough. It's such an amazing style of Action, RTS and Heavy Metal.

You can play Tim Curry, who leads the Indutrial Metal army, who is a bunch of demons covered in S&M. What's not to like? :winky:

I made a massive OP as well...

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    edited February 2010
    Warhammer: Dark Omen is a really fun, older fantasy RTS. It features billboarded sprites on three dimensional terrain. It's Warhammer, if you go in without a plan you will get raped in the face by Nurgle. No base building either, and it's a unit based command system. The interface is a blast and one of the things that makes this game so much fun. Commanding the battle field is a fluid and intense experience. This seems to be what NamcoBandai was going for with Mark of Chaos, but it's not horrible like Mark of Chaos. It's actually a lot of fun.

Management comes in the form of hiring new troops for your mercenary army. The battlefield can be looted every once in a while too. There is multiplayer, workable over Hamachi according to a fan site. Build an Army. Kill each other. If you can find one of the other seven people who still play this.

If you are interested, there is a seller at Amazon who offers it and Syndicate Wars (which is a whole other topic of awesome, DOSbox required) in an EA double pack for about ten bucks. New and factory sealed. It's a freakin' awesome deal for just one of those games.

Drake on
  • XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

I too first day-ed this one. I remember it being okay. I remember not getting more than half-way through the first campaign. I don't remember for the life of me where my discs are.

Xaviar on
  • McAllenMcAllen Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I second Age of Mythologies and it's expansion, Titans. I don't know if the expansion has skirmish or an extra campaign anymore, but there is a lot of variety for all it's worth.

Also, not really an RTS, more like a city builder, but I thought Zeus was a great game that had some militaristic mechanics in it. I never got past the first level because I didn't really know what the hell I was doing.

McAllen on
  • GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Warhammer: Dark Omen is a really fun, older fantasy RTS. It features billboarded sprites on three dimensional terrain. It's Warhammer, if you go in without a plan you will get raped in the face by Nurgle. No base building either, and it's a unit based command system. The interface is a blast and one of the things that makes this game so much fun. Commanding the battle field is a fluid and intense experience. This seems to be what NamcoBandai was going for with Mark of Chaos, but it's not horrible like Mark of Chaos. It's actually a lot of fun.

Management comes in the form of hiring new troops for your mercenary army. The battlefield can be looted every once in a while too. There is multiplayer, workable over Hamachi according to a fan site. Build an Army. Kill each other. If you can find one of the other seven people who still play this.

If you are interested, there is a seller at Amazon who offers it and Syndicate Wars (which is a whole other topic of awesome, DOSbox required) in an EA double pack for about ten bucks. New and factory sealed. It's a freakin' awesome deal for just one of those games.

It's a very good game, but it doesn't play nice, at all, with a lot of newer systems/graphics cards.

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.