As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] Good [chat], everyone!

• PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Good point Opty.

Poketpixie on
  • JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    To be fair, in the build up to WotLK he did attempt a full-scale invasion of Azeroth, but it failed because a cure to the plague was found (Putress making it for the Horde and the Naaru giving it to the Alliance) and heroes of the Alliance and Horde were able to stop Naxxramas and all other major scourge forces on Kalimdor and the Eastern kingdoms.

If the Horde didn't have Putress and the Alliance didn't have the Naaru, the Lich King would likely have succeeded.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • XArchangelXXArchangelX Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Opty wrote: »
    Like I said before, the number one thing Arthas has fucked up on is treating the Scourge like an army. He was classically trained in combat, it's all he knows how to do, but if he just unleashed the full might of the Scourge rather than wasting energy trying to keep them organized, he'd have already won. Without the Lich King, the Liches and Necromancers and whatnot are free to do whatever they want, and if whatever they want is to destroy whatever's in their way then that's what they're going to do. A Scourge without the Lich King loses the military predictability it currently has, making it more of a threat. It's basically going from Revolutionary War Redcoats to Gulf War Insergents.

I see a lot of words here but they don't make any sense. This "full might of the Scourge"? Are you thinking something like a waaaaaagh or what? And the Gulf War Insurgent metaphor is a really poor choice, as they get annihalated anytime they stick their heads out far enough to shoot. Bunch of dead leaders = stuck in a cave for a very long time.

Without a guiding force, the Scourge would probably have been annihilated by the nerubians, but even then, they would have gotten to the borders of northrend and stopped. They aren't exactly shipwrights. They need the Lich King's leadership to build the floating ziggurat things I can't remember the name of to just get off the island.

Although, I haven't read any lore for like three years, so I have no idea what's been retconned.

XArchangelX on
    Eve Online is a terrible game, but I used to play, for the lulz!
    Steam
    Only the strong can help the weak.
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Stuff

All of that assumes that Arthas is either mostly or totally in control, a supposition that I'd have found tenuous, at least until the Arthas book came out. I'm pretty sure the Lich King has no such qualms about turning the entire world undead.

It also assumes that he did not have any chance at all of taking or destroying Orgrimmar and Stormwind in a surprise attack which I don't think is a strong assumption.

I think the simplest answer here is Blizzard changing the lore any way they like at any time.

Edit: I totally agree with you ArchAngel, but Blizzard seems to think otherwise(re: Uther's speech), and I think it's very dumb.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Opty wrote: »
    Like I said before, the number one thing Arthas has fucked up on is treating the Scourge like an army. He was classically trained in combat, it's all he knows how to do, but if he just unleashed the full might of the Scourge rather than wasting energy trying to keep them organized, he'd have already won. Without the Lich King, the Liches and Necromancers and whatnot are free to do whatever they want, and if whatever they want is to destroy whatever's in their way then that's what they're going to do. A Scourge without the Lich King loses the military predictability it currently has, making it more of a threat. It's basically going from Revolutionary War Redcoats to Gulf War Insergents.

I see a lot of words here but they don't make any sense. This "full might of the Scourge"? Are you thinking something like a waaaaaagh or what? And the Gulf War Insurgent metaphor is a really poor choice, as they get annihalated anytime they stick their heads out far enough to shoot. Bunch of dead leaders = stuck in a cave for a very long time.

Without a guiding force, the Scourge would probably have been annihilated by the nerubians, but even then, they would have gotten to the borders of northrend and stopped. They aren't exactly shipwrights. They need the Lich King's leadership to build the floating ziggurat things I can't remember the name of to just get off the island.

Although, I haven't read any lore for like three years, so I have no idea what's been retconned.

I want to say the flying cities are necropolises (sic).

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Necropoli!

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • rehtonAesoohCrehtonAesoohC Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Are we done talking about lore(bore)?

rehtonAesoohC on
    Was wowed by Rift so I'm trying that now.
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Necropolopodes!

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • pollofacepolloface Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Mindless horde of millions of undead that wants to kill all living things suddenly become a horde of intelligent undead that wants to kill all living things. They can start organizing, and using technology.
    They can start organizing, and using technology.
    GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!
    749px-Professor_Putricide.jpg

polloface on
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Love the floating leg. It disturbs me whenever we see up a dress and the feet are just floating in a model.

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2010
    I demand panty shots in WoW.

Cute Putricide undies.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited January 2010
    Damn I didn't realize we could fight Putricide on the PS1

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I really hope they don't pull bullshit by saying that arthas is trying to prepare azeroth for deathwing.

Ohtsam on
  • SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Damn, I absolutely love the LFD tool. I farmed 45 Emblems of Triumph today and bought my first piece of Tier 9 armor. Looted four upgrades, three of which were tank upgrades and increased my unbuffed hp another 3k. I've run more dungeons in one day than I ran in a month in the past.

Every MMO should have an LFD tool.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • XaboraXabora Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Ohtsam wrote: »
    I really hope they don't pull bullshit by saying that arthas is trying to prepare azeroth for deathwing.

Arthas breaths heavily.
    Arthas says: I..I was trying, with the best of my power, to prepare the world for the sundering.
    Arthas says: But no, you champions had to come. And so I let you, I needed strength, will, and an even greater army to save Azeroth for what was to come.
    Arthas Shouts: But no, you had to damn us all, damn us all into destruction by the rage of Deathwing.
    Arthas falls to the ground, the helm of domination sits close by without a controller.
    Shouts of undead could be heard in the distance as they are under no longer dominated by their master's will.

Xabora on
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Like how Palpatine knew the Yuuzhan Vong were on the way?

SabreMau on
  • ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Basically, he's been passively setting up his own demise. It's the only thing that explains his absolute stupidity, considering the forces at his command could easily overwhelm all of Azaroth. .

I like this train of thought. Doubt it's the answer, but it's a good shot and does make sense.

Arthas destroys the Lich King by taking over, but finds he's being overwhelmed himself, so the only thing he can do is slowly set the stage for the PC's to ultimately destroy him.

Tragic hero redeemed. Everyone's happy, right?

ironzerg on
    edited January 2010
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Basically, he's been passively setting up his own demise. It's the only thing that explains his absolute stupidity, considering the forces at his command could easily overwhelm all of Azaroth. .

I like this train of thought. Doubt it's the answer, but it's a good shot and does make sense.

Arthas destroys the Lich King by taking over, but finds he's being overwhelmed himself, so the only thing he can do is slowly set the stage for the PC's to ultimately destroy him.

There's no way they came up with a nice satisfying idea like this. It really does make sense, and hasn't been done too many times before either. Evil's left hand doesn't know what its right is doing...

UncleSporky on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    They should do the "lich king was preparing azeroth for the coming cataclysm" but not arthas, make it nerzhul's master plan, and Arthas was merely a pawn the whole time thinking he was in control.

-SPI- on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    SabreMau wrote: »
    Like how Palpatine knew the Yuuzhan Vong were on the way?

Groan that is the only book I tossed and was tempted to toss it overboard
    It was not mine either

Brainleech on
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I haven't even read that book. Just heard about it incidentally through wikis.

SabreMau on
    edited January 2010

That would be a good ending.

SkyCaptain on
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

This is a bit of an aside, but I always thought this was Kael'thas' game.

Dude starts 'working' for illidian, and conveniently arranges, almost solely through his own actions and those of his blood elf subordinates (some of whom had 'defected'), to throw illidian (who up to that point had been quietly building an army) against the Burning Legion, Naaru, Horde, and Alliance all at the same time.

Lets go through the checklist:

Alliance are against illidian because kael took over the draenii's city, but he conveniently allowed the draenii to escape to azeroth.

Horde are against illidian because the azerothan blood elves brought them to draenor, originally to support kael but then they mysteriously switch sides once they get there.

Naaru were against illidian because illidari blood elves under the command of kael attacked them, but then mysteriously switched sides at the last minute, encouraging the Naaru to fight against their old comrades (the Naaru previously really only being interested in fighting the Burning Legion.)

Burning legion is against illidian because they hate him, but they mount an attack because Kael promises them his support by switching sides at a critical moment.

Now, if all this wasn't enough, look at what happens later. Kael, after illidian is dead, goes to summon Kil'Jadeen. Except he doesn't just quietly go to the sunwell, instead he mounts a full scale invasion and basically puts a giant "Hey guys, I'm at the sunwell" sign out. Then, when a raid comes, he goes ahead and summons him directly in the middle of a bunch of hostiles when he's knows he won't be at full power

Clearly the whole time Kael was sandbagging and his true goal was to eliminate illidian and kiljadeen by manipulating them into harms way.

Jealous Deva on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    SkyCaptain wrote: »
    Damn, I absolutely love the LFD tool. I farmed 45 Emblems of Triumph today and bought my first piece of Tier 9 armor. Looted four upgrades, three of which were tank upgrades and increased my unbuffed hp another 3k. I've run more dungeons in one day than I ran in a month in the past.

As much as I love the LFG tool, I've noticed it's got some nasty downsides. Espcially if you aren't 80 I've found. And you aren't a tank.

Mainly:

1) DPS who think they are tanks because they have Frost Presense/Defensive Stance/Bear Form/etc and because they get instant queues that way!

2) Tanks who are complete, 100% assholes and think they can get away with being assholes because they are "so valuable!!".

Leveling up my rogue from 70->80 now, there is just SO MANY of #2. I think I've met 1 tank who didn't think he was god's gift to DPS and used the opportunity to push other people around and insult them and try and make them feel like shit.

As an example, today on my 80 warlock alt, I met the biggest jackass I've ever met in WoW. This guy: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Boulderfist&cn=Roac

Insulted all the DPS in the group for only pulling 2.5-3k DPS. Mostly using nasty racist and homophobic slurs. Kicked one of the DPS for calling him an asshole. Yelled at us and insulted us for asking him to pull when he stopped for 5 minutes right near the last boss to take a phone call. It was pathetic and yet kinda funny. Especially since after kicking the first DPS, he was all like: "You got anything to say now?" to me and I said "Yeah, your an asshole" and kept insulting him for the rest of the run. Of course, he couldn't kick me because vote-kick won't let you kick 2 people in a row. So I just laughed at him and told him he could quit the group if he wanted to get rid of me. So we killed the last boss, I got my 2 Frost Emblems and then I laughed in his face some more because there was nothing he could do to me.

Anyway, just thought I'd share these wonderful experiences with you all. I don't think I'll ever level a pure DPS class again if the LFG keeps working like this.

shryke on
    edited January 2010
    It'd be really hard to just sneak into Quel'Danas, what with being the prince of your race and manipulating the citizenry into practically worshipping you.

It was a MASSIVE character derailment and I'm sure there's a fucking book or comic explaining why Kael went from desperate hero in shitty circumstances to asshole summoning the fuckers who got him in this mess in the first place.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    shryke wrote: »

As much as I love the LFG tool, I've noticed it's got some nasty downsides. Espcially if you aren't 80 I've found. And you aren't a tank.

Mainly:

1) DPS who think they are tanks because they have Frost Presense/Defensive Stance/Bear Form/etc and because they get instant queues that way!

2) Tanks who are complete, 100% assholes and think they can get away with being assholes because they are "so valuable!!".

Leveling up my rogue from 70->80 now, there is just SO MANY of #2. I think I've met 1 tank who didn't think he was god's gift to DPS and used the opportunity to push other people around and insult them and try and make them feel like shit.

As an example, today on my 80 warlock alt, I met the biggest jackass I've ever met in WoW. This guy: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Boulderfist&cn=Roac

Insulted all the DPS in the group for only pulling 2.5-3k DPS. Mostly using nasty racist and homophobic slurs. Kicked one of the DPS for calling him an asshole. Yelled at us and insulted us for asking him to pull when he stopped for 5 minutes right near the last boss to take a phone call. It was pathetic and yet kinda funny. Especially since after kicking the first DPS, he was all like: "You got anything to say now?" to me and I said "Yeah, your an asshole" and kept insulting him for the rest of the run. Of course, he couldn't kick me because vote-kick won't let you kick 2 people in a row. So I just laughed at him and told him he could quit the group if he wanted to get rid of me. So we killed the last boss, I got my 2 Frost Emblems and then I laughed in his face some more because there was nothing he could do to me.

Anyway, just thought I'd share these wonderful experiences with you all. I don't think I'll ever level a pure DPS class again if the LFG keeps working like this.

if it was a votekick why did the others vote to get rid of anyone? or were they all just spineless? Why couldn't you votekick -him-? I thought that sort of thing put you at the top of the queue anyway or am I missing something?

Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
    edited January 2010
    shryke wrote: »

[...]

Fortunately, I haven't had any problems like that and have only had one group dissolve before the instance started. I just went off to buy gems for my shiny new armor while I waited for the cooldown. I'll see how it works with one of my lower level characters this weekend, after I farm enough emblems for a full set of Tier 9 gear for my death knight.

SkyCaptain on
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Beezel wrote: »
    if it was a votekick why did the others vote to get rid of anyone? or were they all just spineless? Why couldn't you votekick -him-? I thought that sort of thing put you at the top of the queue anyway or am I missing something?

Getting rid of the tank would have gotten them a different tank in short order but many DPS are very impatient and kicking the tank probably would have lead to people leaving the group.

My mage has already put 2 or 3 asshole tanks on ignore, the system probably won't group me with those guys ever again, but I want to make sure I never get grouped with them.

Seg on
    edited January 2010
    Paladin tank with blood draining is cute.

I generally don't talk much in random dungeons. The instant queues have been so good that I switched to a purer tanking spec. I generally mention any unusual plans for pulls (LoS, etc) and maybe quests.

And I do to tend to be higher on the dps charts, but there are many variables with that, and low dps has yet to be an issue. Death Knight starter gear, levels, pulls etc all make dps hard to judge. I have seen some terrible dps with pugs, but nothing yet that screams "I'm not trying."

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • JoeslopJoeslop Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Pretty much if a Votekick comes up, 90% of the puggers won't read it and will just hit "Yes" regardless of who it is for.

Joeslop on
    edited January 2010
    Oh, and that paladin also only has two major glyphs. Everything else is empty.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited January 2010
    Joeslop wrote: »

Pretty much if a Votekick comes up, 90% of the puggers won't read it and will just hit "Yes" regardless of who it is for.

I fall into the 10% category. Once the tank of a group got pissy because the healer rolled need against him for one of those inscription books, so a vote kick went up for the healer and luckily I wasn't the only dps who didn't care who got the book and just wanted to kill the last boss and leave. (If a vote had gone up for the tank I would have accepted it in a heartbeat, that guy was a Silly Goose!

Seg on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Seg wrote: »

Getting rid of the tank would have gotten them a different tank in short order but many DPS are very impatient and kicking the tank probably would have lead to people leaving the group.

My mage has already put 2 or 3 asshole tanks on ignore, the system probably won't group me with those guys ever again, but I want to make sure I never get grouped with them.

Aye. I think the DPS might have actually left. I wasn't sure at the time. I kept clicking "No" on the votes though.

We were 2 pulls from Loken in HOL though so I stuck around because I just wanted to get that shit done.

shryke on
    edited January 2010
    I'm very chatty while dps'ing in pugs. Sometimes I meet nice people. Other times, they're just a bot along for the ride. Haven't had any votekicks pop up though . I wouldn't even know how to start one myself.

SkyCaptain on
  • Coconut MonkeyCoconut Monkey Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I've been lucky in my randoms - I've only come across one tank that was full of himself. He chain pulled multiple packs in H HoL, which isn't /too/ bad because it made for quite a hectic run, but ignored a request from the healer to drink and went running off ahead. Then he pulled two storm giants to Loken which killed a bunch of people and complained that he wanted to solo Loken after the feral druid b-ressed the healer and kept me alive to dps Loken.

Coconut Monkey on
  • CharusCharus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If there was a feral druid in the group, he should have innervated the healer so the pulling could continue unabated. I pin that wipe on him.

Charus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2010
    Charus wrote: »
    If there was a feral druid in the group, he should have innervated the healer so the pulling could continue unabated. I pin that wipe on him.

Pulling two giants to Loken doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

Seg on
  • NijaNija Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm very chatty while dps'ing in pugs. Sometimes I meet nice people. Other times, they're just a bot along for the ride. Haven't had any votekicks pop up though . I wouldn't even know how to start one myself.

Right Click on the person
    Right below 'Inspect'
    and loving it

Nija on
    Priest lvl 110 Warlock lvl 9x DK lvl 110 Paladin lvl 9x Rogue lvl 8x

Steam Me
    edited January 2010
    Ah, cool. Haven't had any reason to use it yet though. I'm sure my luck will run out at some point. I hope to farm up another 45 tokens today and get the gauntlets. I'd like to get to the point where I can tank these heroics, but looking at the stats of some of these warriors... holy shit. One guy had damned near 50k hp and I'm at 25k.

SkyCaptain on
  • GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    At one point the priest healer in a Auchenay Crypts PUG tried to vote kick me, because my RankWatch addon had whispered him twice. (For SW: Pain and Resurrection, btw)
    I think it's strange that you don't even get a message when someone tries to kick you. I only found out because the tank was asking "what was that for?"

Grobian on
This discussion has been closed.