As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Farscape]Welcome to the Federation Starship SS Buttcrack

• Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Cantide wrote: »
    So I'm about halfway through the first season. Hooray Netflix streaming. I'm enjoying it so far, except for the 20th century american pop cultural references that Crichton is constantly making. It wasn't funny or clever the first time, and he does it every five minutes. Does he stop doing it at some point?

I like the emotional pay off to this later in the series, he says something Earthy and can't remember who it is but they give him the standard o_O look and he just sounds so tired and depressed when he's starting to explain it and just trails off because he knows nobody else in the galaxy has any idea what he's talking about.

My favorite one of these is at the beginning of season 2, where he's comparing Crais trying to steal Talyn with a mid-life crisis. Crais starts off by giving him this quiet, puzzled look, and then halfway through he decides that Crichton is babbling nonsense and just starts waiting for him to finish talking.

The change in Crais's character as the show progresses is probably one of my favorite bad guy turns semi-good storylines.

Another good aspect of the show is that all seems like fun and games, but by season 4 you begin to realize that all the previous seasons have taken an emotional and mental toll on Crichton. I mean the man had been chased, tortured, killed, constantly attacked by a friend, shot at repeatedly, and eventually raped. I mean he definitely would be in line for some expensive therapy!

A good example of the change in the character is in season 1 when they had to face off against those aliens with the gauntlets, John was all about the reasoning and avoiding needless deaths, but by season 4 he constantly used Winona to kill.

"Hi honey. Guess what I did at work today?
    I wore a bomb. A nuclear bomb in a field of flowers.
    I could get lucky. Tomorrow I could get a bigger bomb.
    I could kill more people. Innocent people. Children, maybe."

Bloods End on
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Cantide wrote: »
    So I'm about halfway through the first season. Hooray Netflix streaming. I'm enjoying it so far, except for the 20th century american pop cultural references that Crichton is constantly making. It wasn't funny or clever the first time, and he does it every five minutes. Does he stop doing it at some point?

I like the emotional pay off to this later in the series, he says something Earthy and can't remember who it is but they give him the standard o_O look and he just sounds so tired and depressed when he's starting to explain it and just trails off because he knows nobody else in the galaxy has any idea what he's talking about.

My favorite one of these is at the beginning of season 2, where he's comparing Crais trying to steal Talyn with a mid-life crisis. Crais starts off by giving him this quiet, puzzled look, and then halfway through he decides that Crichton is babbling nonsense and just starts waiting for him to finish talking.

The change in Crais's character as the show progresses is probably one of my favorite bad guy turns semi-good storylines.

Another good aspect of the show is that all seems like fun and games, but by season 4 you begin to realize that all the previous seasons have taken an emotional and mental toll on Crichton. I mean the man had been chased, tortured, killed, constantly attacked by a friend, shot at repeatedly, and eventually raped. I mean he definitely would be in line for some expensive therapy!

A good example of the change in the character is in season 1 when they had to face off against those aliens with the gauntlets, John was all about the reasoning and avoiding needless deaths, but by season 4 he constantly used Winona to kill.

I loved Gauntlet guys final line in season 2.

"So long my friends, thank for you teaching me to kill again" He just sounded so nonchalant and happy.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I think Bekhesh is my favorite recurring character. He had the right mix of no bullshit badassery and smart assery.

Plus the Tavleks and their gauntlet weapons are awesome.

Undead Scottsman on
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I loved this show when it was on. If I recall correctly, Scifi had not only announced another season before changing their mind, but it was a TWO season deal. Maybe I'm wrong on that. Scifi pretty much died on that day regardless.

I have the entire series including The Peacekeeper Wars, I'll have to watch it all through eventually. That wait for The Peacekeeper Wars was bullshit the first time around. You people just now discover this wonderful show have no idea how lucky you are.

Also, even though the show is pretty much the best ever, I will forever hate Taking The Stone. Feel free to skip that one anyone.

Xeddicus on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    I loved this show when it was on. If I recall correctly, Scifi had not only announced another season before changing their mind, but it was a TWO season deal. Maybe I'm wrong on that. Scifi pretty much died on that day regardless.

I have the entire series including The Peacekeeper Wars, I'll have to watch it all through eventually. That wait for The Peacekeeper Wars was bullshit the first time around. You people just now discover this wonderful show have no idea how lucky you are.

Also, even though the show is pretty much the best ever, I will forever hate Taking The Stone. Feel free to skip that one anyone.

That definitely wasn't my favorite episode. That reminds me of another thing I liked about the show. Even if an episode was a filler, it often had character revelations or growth that carried through the entire season and show. That's why I never skip any episodes when I watch Farscape. Well, I make an exception for the second episode of season one. But that's the only one!

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    edited January 2010
    Taking the Stone was a Season 2 episode.

EDIT: Sadly, the second episode of Season 1 is brought up later in the series when they go looking for hidden peacekeeper tech on Moya.

Undead Scottsman on
  • OSUJumpManOSUJumpMan Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

If I remember correctly, it was a deal for one season of webisodes. However, the deal was reached right around the time of the writer's strike and it seemingly fell apart at that point. I haven't heard anything about a season 5 since, so I still hold out hope but it doesn't seem likely.

OSUJumpMan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    He's talking about the original season 5 that ended up becoming Peacekeeper War, the reason season 4 ends the way it did was that up until the end the Sci-Fi channel was telling them that they were going to get another season, it was only after they wrapped on season 4 and they couldn't change the ending that they finally got told that it wasn't going to be renewed.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Im probably going to be burned as a heretic for this, but I didn't like the Peacekeeper Wars. I appreciate the effort and I know why it had to be that way, but it seemed way too goddamn rushed and the payoff was 'meh'.

Deebaser on
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Im probably going to be burned as a heretic for this, but I didn't like the Peacekeeper Wars. I appreciate the effort and I know why it had to be that way, but it seemed way too goddamn rushed and the payoff was 'meh'.
    They crammed an entire season worth of stuff into four hours. So yeah, it was kinda rushed.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited January 2010
    Going right from Season 4 into the Peacekeeper Wars, I noticed a few things this time around.

1. You can tell that some of the actors had been out of character a little too long (particularly Chiana)
    2. With the end of season four, it really felt like they were going to stretch things out and take their time, particularly with
    Aeryn's baby
    3. Some of the Peacekeeper Wars felt a little lacking (but not much) in emotional content and character development.

Other than that, it was nice to have as a way to wrap up the series, but (obviously) Season 5 would have been better.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited January 2010
    It was slightly rushed, yeah, but overall was still good. The only thing I didn't like was
    the typical "Well, it's the end. Lets kill someone/s for dramatic effect!".
    And that's more a personal pet peeve of mine than anything I suppose. It happens all the damn time, people must like it...for some reason...

Xeddicus on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I don't know why anyone would burn you for that. I know I feel the same way.
    Sure it was nice to see them end the story, but every time I watch it I'm reminded how awesome a full fifth season could have been.

see317 on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    see317 wrote: »

I don't know why anyone would burn you for that. I know I feel the same way.
    Sure it was nice to see them end the story, but every time I watch it I'm reminded how awesome a full fifth season could have been.

It probably felt rushed because it was the entire fifth season condensed into a short mini-series. They actually had the fifth season all planned out right before it got canceled. Chiana was suppose to have a small arc dealing with her eyes, for instance, but that was dealt with in the mini-series with a few lines of exposition.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Oh my god, watching "Wont get fooled again" right now, from the second season. This truly is the greatest thing.

Oh man I'm watching this episode right now. It is AMAZING!

Daxon on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2010
    Daxon wrote: »
    Oh my god, watching "Wont get fooled again" right now, from the second season. This truly is the greatest thing.

Oh man I'm watching this episode right now. It is AMAZING!

I am not exaggerating in the slightest when I say that this episode made me fall out of my chair.

Echo on
    edited January 2010
    OSUJumpMan wrote: »

If I remember correctly, it was a deal for one season of webisodes. However, the deal was reached right around the time of the writer's strike and it seemingly fell apart at that point. I haven't heard anything about a season 5 since, so I still hold out hope but it doesn't seem likely.

He's talking about before it was canceled.

Flash back to 2002, I think, and Farscape is doing well as one of Scifi's best original TV shows and is well into the third season. Rather than renewing it for another season, Scifi renews it for TWO. Naturally, the creators go "Fuck yeah" and plan on two whole seasons of arcs.

Then Farscapes ratings slip, like they do EVERY Season for the early episodes, and because they had the cash cow that is Stargate at that point, Scifi cancels Season 5 literally at the zero hour, leaving an entire Seaason of planned out stories unmade.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, the webisodes were supposed to come out last year but nothings happened on that front for a while.

Z0re on
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Just watched Zhaan die. Now I am sad.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
    edited January 2010

Sadly, the makeup the actress had to wear was hell on her skin.

Undead Scottsman on
  • LionLion Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Is that really why Zhaan died? Real life reasons for why things happen in shows is always strange to me.

Lion on
    PSN: WingedLion | XBL: Winged Lion
  • OSUJumpManOSUJumpMan Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    and she terribly disliked having to shave her head and eyebrows for the whole length of taping
    In her appearances after her death, you can tell they gave her a rubber scalp to wear and the makeup over top looks substantially different.

OSUJumpMan on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited January 2010
    Lion wrote: »

Is that really why Zhaan died? Real life reasons for why things happen in shows is always strange to me.

Pretty much. She was having very real health issues because of the makeup.

Undead Scottsman on
  • cyphrcyphr Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Holy shit.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    the blue makeup worn over her head and chest to achieve Zhaan's appearance caused her kidneys to bleed, subsequently causing a decline in her health

Yeah, I suppose it's fair to say that bleeding kidneys could be considered a decline in health.

:shock:

cyphr on
    steam_sig.png
  • LionLion Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    cyphr wrote: »
    Holy shit.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    the blue makeup worn over her head and chest to achieve Zhaan's appearance caused her kidneys to bleed, subsequently causing a decline in her health

Yeah, I suppose it's fair to say that bleeding kidneys could be considered a decline in health.

Sweet fuck. Now I'm at a loss for how she kept going for so many years.

Lion on
    PSN: WingedLion | XBL: Winged Lion
    edited January 2010
    Lion wrote: »
    cyphr wrote: »
    Holy shit.
    Wikipedia wrote:

Sweet fuck. Now I'm at a loss for how she kept going for so many years.

IIRC, it was a continued exposure kind of thing. It didn't really start affecting her badly until some point in Season 2, at which point they decided to plan Zhaan's death. She stuck in there long enough to finish out her characters arc in Season 3.

Undead Scottsman on
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    IIRC, she actually held on longer than she should have because she loved the role so much, and might have even fought it until the bleeding kidneys thing came to light.

Shadowen on
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    what kind of god damn paint did they use to cause her kidneys to bleed

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
    edited January 2010
    Neli wrote: »
    what kind of god damn paint did they use to cause her kidneys to bleed

Well, with any kind of body paint (I think), you absorb some of it into your body through the skin, at which point your body goes "WTF is this" and your kidney's filter it out. Virginia Hey had a LOT of makeup on her body for a LONG time, so her kidneys were probably working overtime for too long.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    God her kidneys? Where they using lead paint?

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Did the other blue alien chick also start bleeding internally from exposure to their toxic death paint

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It was kind of like John Rhys-Davies and Lord of the Rings. It wasn't that that particular makeup was particularly bad, except her skin really didn't like it, and you do that regularly for a few years, and... (The Gimli makeup actually ate away as the skin about Rhys-Davies' eyes and otherwise irritated his skin.)

I think. I mean, Chiana was on the show for even longer than Zhaan by the end.

Shadowen on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2010
    Chiana looks more like regular powder makeup and some light airbrushing. Zhaan had actual paint all over her.

Echo on
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Plus, I don't think she gets naked as often. Meaning, of course, that Zhaan's paint had to cover more.

protip: do not google 'who gets naked more often; chiana or zhaan"

... I really hate fanfics.

Tamin on
    edited January 2010
    Chiana got naked more often, actually. (At least 3 times I can remember, vs two for Zhaan)

'course they used Body Doubles more often than not for those scenes. (Like whenever Zhaan is naked in Season 1).

Undead Scottsman on
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So I dont know why, but I just picked up Farscape the complete series along with the Peacekeeper wars on Amazon.

Am I in for a pretty good ride? Or is there a slow season or two that I should be willing to gloss over?

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I found a few episodes in season three drug on a bit but for the most part it's just great watching the whole way.

DarkPrimus on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So I dont know why, but I just picked up Farscape the complete series along with the Peacekeeper wars on Amazon.

Am I in for a pretty good ride? Or is there a slow season or two that I should be willing to gloss over?
    I feel like the fourth season/Peacekeeper Wars gets a bit rushed, but by then you'll be more concerned with seeing it all shake out than anything so yeah have fun.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, there are a few stinkers, a few things you may or may not prefer to be different and the pacing towards the end may or may not seem rushed to you, but overall it's a damn fine show that was killed before its time.

Taking The Stone is horrid as an example of a stinker. But most everything else is fine to great.

Xeddicus on
    edited January 2010
    It takes awhile for the first season to hit it's groove. There's some not terribly interesting episodes, and a lot of fun but not impactful episodes. Once you get past Jeremiah Crichton, things pick up splendidly... and then slow down after the Season 2 premier until they build up a few episodes.

Undead Scottsman on