As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Good [chat], everyone!

• Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Grobian wrote: »
    At one point the priest healer in a Auchenay Crypts PUG tried to vote kick me, because my RankWatch addon had whispered him twice. (For SW: Pain and Resurrection, btw)
    I think it's strange that you don't even get a message when someone tries to kick you. I only found out because the tank was asking "what was that for?"

Hahah, what an ass. It is odd that you don't even get a message that someone is trying to vote kick you. Do you get one if it fails? Obviously you know what happened if it passes.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    SkyCaptain wrote: »
    Grobian wrote: »
    At one point the priest healer in a Auchenay Crypts PUG tried to vote kick me, because my RankWatch addon had whispered him twice. (For SW: Pain and Resurrection, btw)
    I think it's strange that you don't even get a message when someone tries to kick you. I only found out because the tank was asking "what was that for?"

Hahah, what an ass. It is odd that you don't even get a message that someone is trying to vote kick you. Do you get one if it fails? Obviously you know what happened if it passes.

I wish it did notify you when a vote failed. It'd make everything awkward. and HILARIOUS

Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, it could. Get the group killed and leave after a failed votekick. "Enjoy your repair bills!"

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    Coconut MonkeyCoconut Monkey Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Charus wrote: »
    If there was a feral druid in the group, he should have innervated the healer so the pulling could continue unabated. I pin that wipe on him.
    There was no wipe, but to pull two AoEing knockback mobs onto Loken with all his lightning bullshit and then be a silly goose about it afterwards.....well, yeah.

Coconut Monkey on
  • Options
    QuantumQuarkQuantumQuark Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    RankWatch is the best thing. Most people are actually really appreciative of the heads-up and tell me how awesome the add-on is, but the real entertainment is the people who get cranky about it.

"Get ur addon to stop spamming me."
    "that addon is annoying"
    "wtf that rankwatch thing is stupid"

It's also really good for the soul to see low DPS light it up like a Christmas tree. Once ran with a Hunter and every single attack pinged it.

QuantumQuark on
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    RankWatch is the best thing. Most people are actually really appreciative of the heads-up and tell me how awesome the add-on is, but the real entertainment is the people who get cranky about it.

"Get ur addon to stop spamming me."
    "that addon is annoying"
    "wtf that rankwatch thing is stupid"

It's also really good for the soul to see low DPS light it up like a Christmas tree. Once ran with a Hunter and every single attack pinged it.

The other night we had somebody in raid leave their's on and it went off in raidchat for some reason (I think it was a rez? I don't remember :()

For the next 5 minutes or so our tree druid kept spamming his addon with rank 1 rejuvs.

Nobody on
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Rankwatch only whispers once every 5 minutes for one spell with the default options.

One time I had a mage that was grateful for the addon and then started to test all his skills on the bars (dual spec problem). Wall of whispers.

Grobian on
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I've had responses from rankwatch on both ends of the spectrum.

Sometimes the idiot using underranked everything gets pissed and just says "what the fuck is this spamming shit" without ever having glanced at it...

Others are very appreciative and, although I offer to turn it off, they want me to keep it on so they can fill in the gaps.

I feel wierd sometime when it hits the same person over and over, but in the end, it is helping them. Some people just aren't very receptive to help.

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Our GM used to leave failbot running in Naxx pugs. Talk about whining :D

Nobody on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2010
    How do you still underrank shit? Even SPELLS are automatically replaced with higher ranks now.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    There's a bug/failure with dual-speccing and rank-ups. Your other bars don't always automatically update

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    GnutsonGnutson Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    How do you still underrank shit? Even SPELLS are automatically replaced with higher ranks now.

Only your active spec spells are replaced on your toolbar, when you switch to your other spec you have to manually update your stuff that has been upgraded.

Gnutson on
    Erai - Operative <--Imperial Double Agent--> Sniper - Eari
    SW:Tor - Tao - Kryatt Dragon Server
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2010
    I've yet to level with dual-spec. Doesn't seem like a worthy investment until I know the alt is 80.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    ExistentialSoundandFuryExistentialSoundandFury Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Well if you level with intent it does make some sense. For example I leveled my Paladin fully planning to be a Healer. So I dual specced him when he got towards Northrend so I could try out the healing game prior to blundering my way through heroics.

ExistentialSoundandFury on
    399831.jpg
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It's probably a good investment at 70 if you play a hybrid class. Before that it's kinda meh. 60 I could see it being okay but anything below that it's pointless unless you have money to burn and know you're going to get it anyways.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It's pretty boss for healers. Trying to solo shit in healing spec is some of the least funny crap ever.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    reVerse wrote: »
    It's pretty boss for healers. Trying to solo shit in healing spec is some of the least funny crap ever.

This

Gnutson on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    True, but until Outlands, and even to an extent in Outlands, healing non-specced is trivial if you just hang on to semi appropriate gear.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    True, but until Outlands, and even to an extent in Outlands, healing non-specced is trivial if you just hang on to semi appropriate gear.

I want him to be the best tree he can be, so he started at 40.

But agreed, you can do it, but I knew I was going to have a dedicated healing spec when I made him so why wait.

Gnutson on
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I think having a dedicated heal (or even tank) spec is nice, because then you get to learn about the tools you'll have while leveling.

Btw RankWatch even tells them about the dual spec bug (feature?) in the first whisper.

And I had a Rogue in an Underbog run once that just hadn't been to the trainer for 8 levels. Seriously.

Grobian on
  • Options
    XArchangelXXArchangelX Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    That Rankwatch explains what happened in that PuG. I zone and get ready to start tanking. About two pulls in the priest is just standing back there doing nothing so I ask what's up. He says, "The lock keeps whispering my spells are bugged." Then he ports out and drops group. Went through two more healers before getting someone who stuck around past one pull. Couldn't figure out wtf was going on there.

XArchangelX on
    Eve Online is a terrible game, but I used to play, for the lulz!
    Steam
    Only the strong can help the weak.
  • Options
    XArchangelXXArchangelX Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Dual spec is great if you're class has two very different roles in groups vs solo questing . Otherwise not that useful before 80. Even at 80, if you're a pure DPS class, you don't need the other spec so much as it's just nice to have, to experiment with a different build, or just do something different.

XArchangelX on
    Eve Online is a terrible game, but I used to play, for the lulz!
    Steam
    Only the strong can help the weak.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Dual spec is great if you're class has two very different roles in groups vs solo questing . Otherwise not that useful before 80. Even at 80, if you're a pure DPS class, you don't need the other spec so much as it's just nice to have, to experiment with a different build, or just do something different.

I didn't think I'd ever use it on my Lock, but now that I have had it I wish I had 3 specs. 2 raid specs and a pvp spec.

I'm still changing my secondary spec from pvp friendlier to 2nd raid spec every few weeks.

Gnutson on
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I popped dual spec on my Shaman the moment it was introduced, and he was still only in his early 70s. It made it much easier to continue and speed up the leveling process. My warrior got it at 40, I gave it to my rogue for PvP as an afterthought a month or two after it was implemented.

I have no plans for spending the money to give it to my disc priest. I intend to only heal, ever, with it, and don't want to be tempted into deepsing.

Senshi on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    SkyCaptain wrote: »
    Yeah, it could. Get the group killed and leave after a failed votekick. "Enjoy your repair bills!"

We've been down this road. That's not a classy thing to do. Be classy.

Also, rankwatch is awesome. I've had it turned off mostly in levelling instances, but think I'll put it back on as each alt hits 80 as sort of a Failwatch. However, I've seen some people using ranks of abilities that should've been trained 10 levels or more ago. Even with the dual-spec option, you'd think they'd notice their hits/heals doing pitiful amounts of either.

Edit part deux: and dual-specs are pretty low on priorities for my dps classes, but damn if I don't love them on my hybrids.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Finally did top-DPS as the healer-role in a Random Heroic. I'd always wanted to. Made a lot of the DPS'ers quiet.

Shadow Priest beat everyone (the 2nd person by about 500dps), and just spot healed where needed. I guess I have a good tank to thank for it.

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    douglydougly Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The wife and I have had a few incidents where the group was dumb enough (leveling instances) to warrant us dropping group in the middle of a pull.

Someone fails to move/does something stupid in brd and I end up tanking 15 mobs. When she runs out of healing mana and I run out of cool downs, I feel it's quite fitting to drop group right before our inevitable deaths.

Mainly because the BRD death run makes me cry. Partly because I take some enjoyment out of enforcing my own set of play and ethical standards on others, making sure they (And not I) pay for their stupidity.

dougly on
    puffin.png
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I have to admit the dual spec bug got me once. When I was leveling up my shaman I had not swapped to my resto build for some time and I jumped in a Nexus that I failed to heal from the downranks. Granted it was my first dual spec but lesson learned. Once I fixed the ranks the duneon went fine.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    QuantumQuarkQuantumQuark Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Actually on the topic of RankWatch I have seen it be wrong. I was just in N HoR with a Paladin from my guild. He does 2600 DPS in tank spec, and I know he's not downranking anything. But RankWatch was screaming at me about downranked Consecration, downranked Avenger's Shield, downranked this that and the other thing, and fairly heavily downranked. I ended up having to get it to ignore his spells. The same thing happened with a Priest from my guild too.

QuantumQuark on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    I have to admit the dual spec bug got me once. When I was leveling up my shaman I had not swapped to my resto build for some time and I jumped in a Nexus that I failed to heal from the downranks. Granted it was my first dual spec but lesson learned. Once I fixed the ranks the duneon went fine.

I'd been healing quite awhile at level 80 on my shaman when I was informed a couple of my totems were downranked, I just assumed the totem bars were fine and never looked at them.

Gnutson on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Gnutson wrote: »
    Jubal77 wrote: »

I'd been healing quite awhile at level 80 on my shaman when I was informed a couple of my totems were downranked, I just assumed the totem bars were fine and never looked at them.

The totem bar behaves weirdly. Sometimes it updates on its own for both specs, sometimes it doesn't.

Same thing with Paladin auras, I've noticed. It seems that those bars aren't actually saved to the individual spec, and yet sometimes they fail to properly auto update all the same.

It's really weird.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I had to turn rankwatch off when doing 60-80, it was just too painful. I run it now with the 15 line explanation feature off. It's busted a few guildies, most of the time its something silly like a dps druid using a lower rank of rez or while in caster form, moonfire. But its busted a few people with rank 1 Multishot etc.

When playing my dualspec shaman it was a lifesaver.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    ExistentialSoundandFuryExistentialSoundandFury Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Madpanda wrote: »
    I had to turn rankwatch off when doing 60-80, it was just too painful. I run it now with the 15 line explanation feature off. It's busted a few guildies, most of the time its something silly like a dps druid using a lower rank of rez or while in caster form, moonfire. But its busted a few people with rank 1 Multishot etc.

When playing my dualspec shaman it was a lifesaver.

Yeah, it helped me out with my Dualspec Paladin. Also tripped up one of my Guildie's alts, every single spell on her DK was downranked.

Edit: I suspect it would given more grief if I hadn't made macros for my HL, FoL, and HS spells (mouseover) and those automatically choose the highest rank.

ExistentialSoundandFury on
    399831.jpg
  • Options
    rehtonAesoohCrehtonAesoohC Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    edit: spoilered for dune spoilers
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Basically, he's been passively setting up his own demise. It's the only thing that explains his absolute stupidity, considering the forces at his command could easily overwhelm all of Azaroth. .

I like this train of thought. Doubt it's the answer, but it's a good shot and does make sense.

Arthas destroys the Lich King by taking over, but finds he's being overwhelmed himself, so the only thing he can do is slowly set the stage for the PC's to ultimately destroy him.

Tragic hero redeemed. Everyone's happy, right?

There's no way they came up with a nice satisfying idea like this. It really does make sense, and hasn't been done too many times before either. Evil's left hand doesn't know what its right is doing...

I'm catching back up on the thread.

This train of thought is almost exactly like the second Dune book in the series. (I just finished it, coincidentally). The anti-hero main character, Paul "Muad'dib" Atreides basically sacrifices himself for the good of humanity.

rehtonAesoohC on
    Was wowed by Rift so I'm trying that now.
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Dual spec is only 1000g anyways.

captaink on
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Well so much for finishing up Dune and grabbing the second book.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    JohnnyToxxicJohnnyToxxic Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Basically, he's been passively setting up his own demise. It's the only thing that explains his absolute stupidity, considering the forces at his command could easily overwhelm all of Azaroth. .

I like this train of thought. Doubt it's the answer, but it's a good shot and does make sense.

Arthas destroys the Lich King by taking over, but finds he's being overwhelmed himself, so the only thing he can do is slowly set the stage for the PC's to ultimately destroy him.

Tragic hero redeemed. Everyone's happy, right?

There's no way they came up with a nice satisfying idea like this. It really does make sense, and hasn't been done too many times before either. Evil's left hand doesn't know what its right is doing...

I'm catching back up on the thread.

This train of thought is almost exactly like the second Dune book in the series. (I just finished it, coincidentally). The anti-hero main character, Paul "Muad'dib" Atreides basically sacrifices himself for the good of humanity.

Frickin' spoilers.

JohnnyToxxic on
    Friend Safari Code: 0189-8920-9235
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2010
    Frickin' spoilers.

Q: What does Children of Dune have in common with that movie with Darth Vader's son?

A: They're both from 1977!

Echo on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The second book is dune messiah, not children of dune. Paul doesn't die in dune messiah anyway. That analysis seems pretty iffy to me.

Jars on
  • Options
    rehtonAesoohCrehtonAesoohC Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Jars wrote: »
    The second book is dune messiah, not children of dune. Paul doesn't die in dune messiah anyway. That analysis seems pretty iffy to me.

Not to be a negative nancy or anything, but I have my nook sitting here right in front of me with Dune Messiah loaded to the end of the book... I literally finished it last night before I went to sleep, and I double checked it before posting this. But yeah, sorry...

spoilers...

rehtonAesoohC on
    Was wowed by Rift so I'm trying that now.
This discussion has been closed.