As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

You think this letter on my head stands for [Awesome Moments]?! NSF56K

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Manchester Black removed his memory of the secret ID in Ending Battle, although it was hinted when Luthor was kicked out of office if he might have remembered due to jacking himself up with kryptonite.

And then Infinite Crisis put the genie back in the bottle and Luthor turned back in the forty cake stealing mad scientist, like how Joe Chill returned as the person who killed the Waynes.

Luthor held the ID over Clark very well, but President Luthor was cool to begin with until Superman/Batman.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    And continuing the Saga of "Bang...you dead" (cleaning out my collection means moments for everyone to enjoy):

Uncanny 277
    context: half the team are skrull techno bad guys posing as our heroes:

uxm277a.jpg

uxm277b.jpg
    That's just cool.

uxm277c.jpg

uxm277d.jpg

Uncanny 279
    context: mind-control everyone hates each other

uxm279a.jpg

uxm279b.jpg

TexiKen on
  • Options
    manjimanji Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    the judgement day scans reminded me of another great series running in 'dredd at the time, devlin waugh, the well-spoken, steroid-munching vatican monster hunter. here some uncouth vampires are ruining his day:
    IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0002-1.jpg

manji on
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Is he actually taking 'roids, or does he just look like it?

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2010
    Devlin Waugh was envisaged as a mix of Noel Coward and Arnold Schwarzenegger. He's awesome and decapitates people with his bare hands while complaining that everyone's being simply beastly to him.

Other great 2000AD moments include the very end of Zenith, when Grant Morrison pulls off the only really satisfying 'It was a dream' ending I've ever seen, and the end of Killing Time, which was beautiful and strange and weird, and the bit in Dredd where he finally succmubs to Block Mania and demands to know who his fellow Judges are fighting for, because he's with Rowdy Yates Block.

And the end of the Apocalypse War, obviously, as he commits genocide and does not hesitate for even a second.

EDIT: Block Mania, not Black Mania. Although that in itself would be an interesting story.

Bogart on
  • Options
    manjimanji Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Is he actually taking 'roids, or does he just look like it?

i think its mentionned early on that he got stripped of his olympic medals for 'roid abuse...

theres a second trade after swimming in blood which i've still not read. anyone know if its any cop?

i went through all the zenith trades a while back and it seems to come to an end, am i right in thinking theres a final chapter which is only available in single issues though? most vexing if so...

i'm a big fan of the ennis dredd stuff, even though he's a lot more one-dimensional than when wagner's writing. lots of satisfying headbutting :^:

manji on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2010
    Phase 4 of Zenith was never collected, yeah.

The Devlin Waugh stories after Swimming in Blood were ok, but not quite as good. The artist on one of them was the guy who did Zenith, Steve Yoewell.

Ennis himself has said that he thinks his Dredd stuff doesn't quite measure up to Wagners.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Peter David's first X-Factor issue

xf70a.jpg

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    And from X-Factor #87, Peter David's best written single issue to date aka the Therapy Issue:

xf87a.jpg

xf87b.jpg

xf87c.jpg

xf87d.jpg

xf87e.jpg

xf87f.jpg

xf87g.jpg

xf87h.jpg

The Therapist? Red Hulk.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    That's who Rulk turned out to be? I don't even want to know how that works.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Seeing Polaris kicked his hormones into overdrive, and he blushed himself until he became Red Hulk.

An epic 13 years in the making

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    That was a pretty good issue, it reminds me of a time when I didn't hate Peter David. The sort-of follow up to it he did a few years ago with the current cast of X-Factor was fun too.

Hensler on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Good old Pietro, you can always rely on him to be cool.

Solar on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I love love love David's original run on X-Factor. I'll have to dig out some issues to scan, particularly Havok at the scene of Madrox's "corpse".

(Also, the origin of Strong Guy's code name is the best ever). I also need to dig up the bachelor party issue of Hulk that David wrote. It's been a long time since I've read it, but I'm sure there are some awesome-worthy moments.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Here is, outside of the recent X-Men/Spidey mini, the only meet up of Ben Reilly and the X-Men:
    uxm339a.jpg

uxm339b.jpg

uxm339c.jpg

uxm339d.jpg

And here is USAgent when he was Judge Dredd beating up Captain America:
    usa3a.jpg

usa3b.jpg

usa3c.jpg

usa3d.jpg

And finally Citizen V is one of the best characters created over the past 15 years, they should really do something more with him (and the V-Battalion). And his first mini had some great action as well as a reveal as good as the last page from T-Bolts #1:

cv3b.jpg

cv3bb.jpg

cv3c.jpg

cv3d.jpg

cv3e.jpg

And I think I've run out of stuff now.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    That Senator will NOT be used by 50 Cent!

Hensler on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hensler wrote: »

When reading Cap's lines in that it sounded like Stephen Colbert in my head. The wording and all.... probably just me.

I loved the artwork of the x-men back in the day. It was worth putting up with the Bandana Feral Wolverine for it!

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    What was the deal with Wolverine there?

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    What was the deal with Wolverine there?

I probably don't remember it correctly but Cables evil son kidnapped Wolverine to make him one of his minions. Various evil genius experiments are used as well as the attempt at putting metal back on Logan's bones [he had the origional stuff yanked out by Magneto]. It doesn't go well, I remember something about Wolverine blasting everyone in the room with "shrapnel" thanks to his healing factor [which was super pumped up at this stage, nothing compared to the whole "reforming from a single blood cell but it was exceptional for the time]. Now at this point the Turtles show up to rescue him and wolverine kills Mikey in a beserk rage, feels bad and takes up his mask to honor his fellow mutants memory. Cannonball was there. Cables evil son dies via the shrapnel,which even when I was 15 and reading that issue I thought was pretty fucking silly. What else, oh ya I'm pretty sure he looks extra fuzzy/animal-like cause he was all messed up from all the stuff above.

Now go back and re-read all that stuff I wrote and count how many times the name "Alf" comes up.

Answer:
    [SIZE="-20"]4[/SIZE]

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    ThaneThane Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    and lost the ability to have a nose

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Wolverine's healing factor, without the adamantium in his body, was turning him into a wolf or something. That isn't even half as bad as he was, Madueria made him look like a troll.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Hensler wrote: »

When reading Cap's lines in that it sounded like Stephen Colbert in my head. The wording and all.... probably just me.

I believe that US Agent and Stephen Colbert are the same person, so you're not too far off base. It's John Walker's secret-secret-identity.

Hensler on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I always forget how much I like Reilley's Spider-man costume.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Spider-Man should be like Iron Man, a new costume every 18 months.

red and blue Spidey
    Symbiote Spidey
    Silver Spider Armor Spidey
    Scarlet Spider
    Ben Reilly Spidey
    House of M Spidey (this is the best one yet)
    Iron Spidey

These are all good designs.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The anti-Electro Spidey costume was great, too, but it was only in one issue. But that issue also had Nate Grey, so that doubles the awesomeness. But yeah, House of M Spidey is the best.

Hensler on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I remember Spidey joking that he should wear the black suit at night, and the ol' red and blue during the day in a comic

Antimatter on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    There are so many blasts from the past in here that I don't even know where to start putting :^:s.

All of that early 90s X-factor / X-Men stuff is where I stopped reading comics for a good decade, but I think I have those issues in a box somewhere or other. Hmm.

desc on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I think I got rid of it, but I wanted to post that scene from X-Force right after X-Cutioner's Song where Cannonball is schooling Xavier on the open hand/closed fist argument and a little peep shows up out of nowhere.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I think I got rid of it, but I wanted to post that scene from X-Force right after X-Cutioner's Song where Cannonball is schooling Xavier on the open hand/closed fist argument and a little peep shows up out of nowhere.

That was the issue where Sam tries to bitchslap the Professor and then they get their totally rad 90's costumes, right?

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, we get an explanation for how the X-Men get new costumes when the old ones get torn up. Shi'ar tech, just can't beat it.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    they should have just borrowed some unstable molecules from the fantastic four

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    They have been known to do that, as well. Unstable molecule clothing is mentioned a few times early on during Claremont's first run. (Someone has been re-reading his Essentials....)

Tomanta on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Unstable molecules don't sound like the sort of thing you want to come in contact with your naked body.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Unstable molecules don't sound like the sort of thing you want to come in contact with your naked body.

I'm pretty sure there's magazines and toys for that kind of thing.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Gravity, the best Marvel character created in the last 5 years? Yes. Also, why the Rhino totally sucks:

g2a.jpg

g2b.jpg

g2c.jpg

g2d.jpg

g2e.jpg

g5a.jpg

g5b.jpg

But Peter, you don't have a special lady anymore, you douchebag.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    This Gravity dude seems pretty cool, I've never seen him before. Any more info?

Solar on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Bio

His first appearance, a 5 issue mini-series

It's a very good mini-series, it's got that Spider-Man learning to be a teen hero thing going on.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    And here we go, the original ending to the Dark Phoenix Saga:
    Everything was the same in the issue except for the pages I am posting:

pusa.jpg

pusb.jpg

pusc.jpg

pusd.jpg

puse.jpg

pusf.jpg

pusg.jpg

push.jpg

Stay Dead, Jean. Please.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    For further Gravity reading, check out the League of Losers TPB, as well as the 2006 Marvel Holiday Special. Also, here's a fun fact: Gravity's design was based in part on the aborted teen Blue Beetle character that Mike Norton pitched to DC, with writer J. Torres.

In honor of the upcoming Valentine's Day, have some scans from the MODOK: Reign Delay one-shot.
    2vlv6gk.jpg

sopppl.jpg

c5kxv.jpg
    Aw, what a cool couple. I always like when writers can capture the subtle, endearing annoyances that are a part of real relationships. I'd like to see them play a bigger part in--
    2gwhqpz.jpg
    Hhhh.. Never mind.

Thanks for killing more B-list characters Chris Yost and Craig Kyle! It's still super-cool and totally creative!

Munch on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Munch, they get paid on a per character killed basis. They need the money, otherwise they can't pay for scalpels for their kids to mutilate neighborhood pets and continue the family tradition.

....League of Losers has Gravity in it? I think I'll check it out now. I know he was in Beyond!, died or something, then somehow came back in FF, but by then I gave up on him being around.

TexiKen on
This discussion has been closed.