As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Neo Classical Post Modern Baroque-esque-ish Jacobean [Chat] Conversion SEE OP re: ME2

RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
On Mass Effect 2: if you're saying something more detailed than a very basic evaluation of the quality of the game (i.e. "this game is good," "this game is bad," "I like the graphics") put it in fucking well-labeled spoilers. If you don't like it, there's a thread for discussing it in G&T, and another in SE++ that probably aren't nearly as strict. -Thanatos

Digging, by Seamus Heaney

Between my finger and my thumb
The squat pen rests; as snug as a gun.

Under my window a clean rasping sound
When the spade sinks into gravelly ground:
My father, digging. I look down

Till his straining rump among the flowerbeds
Bends low, comes up twenty years away
Stooping in rhythm through potato drills
Where he was digging.

The coarse boot nestled on the lug, the shaft
Against the inside knee was levered firmly.
He rooted out tall tops, buried the bright edge deep
To scatter new potatoes that we picked
Loving their cool hardness in our hands.

By God, the old man could handle a spade,
Just like his old man.

My grandfather could cut more turf in a day
Than any other man on Toner's bog.
Once I carried him milk in a bottle
Corked sloppily with paper. He straightened up
To drink it, then fell to right away
Nicking and slicing neatly, heaving sods
Over his shoulder, digging down and down
For the good turf. Digging.

The cold smell of potato mold, the squelch and slap
Of soggy peat, the curt cuts of an edge
Through living roots awaken in my head.
But I've no spade to follow men like them.

Between my finger and my thumb
The squat pen rests.
I'll dig with it.

RMS Oceanic on

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    she ran into your ex-wife and decided to invite her over to dinner.

She's met my ex-wife. The only reason she'd ever do that would involve poison.

Thomamelas on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »

Aww, the best girlfriend.

TL DR on
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

D:

I remember his stories about his ex-wife and just D:

RMS Oceanic on
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    I think the battle AI is good Nexus. They try to flank and such, more intelligent than the usual foes I want to think.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

You mean your ex didn't attack her with a snowglobe and then blame it all on her?

Gonmun on
    desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I approve of this [chat].

BobCesca on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Gonmun wrote: »

You mean your ex didn't attack her with a snowglobe and then blame it all on her?

I wrote up the story once, so if you don't mind, I'll cut and paste rather then type it up again.
    So my last story before the thread ends.

A few weeks back a friend convinced me to go out dancing with her and her friends, which really wasn't that hard. Stay at home or go out with a bunch of college age girls isn't exactly a tough call. So we go to a local club and a good time is being had by all. I'm on the dance floor with Rebecka when I hear a voice calling my name. My spine stiffens as it's a voice I know well. I turn around and see my ex-wife standing there. I turn back around and take Rebecka's arm and lead her off the dance floor and away from my ex. I don't want a scene, I don't want any drama and I certainly have lost my taste for crazy.

Rebecka begins peppering me with questions when we get back to the group and I tell her who it was. A very brief explanation is given to her friends and we decide to go somewhere else. Moments later my ex is there, clearly very drunk and very much looking for a fight. She makes some snotty comments about cradle robbing on my part and begins to berate Rebecka for stealing "her" man. Never mind the fact that we had been divorced for a few years before I had met Rebecka. Rebecka starts to walk off when my ex takes a swing at her, only to stumble when she feels my hand around her wrist. I look into her eyes, and the expression on her face is that of one who is expecting me to cower in front of her. She's expecting to see fear in my eyes. The anger she saw was less expected. And I saw something I had never seen in her eyes. Fear. And I said the worst thing I could think of to an older woman who is standing in front of a number of much younger and more attractive peers.

"I hope you enjoyed your 40th birthday. "

Her friends showed up and began to pull her away with her screeching at the top of her lungs that she was going to have me arrested for bruising her wrist. Rebecka, myself and her friends left and had a good time at another club.

Thomamelas on
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2010
    Oh fuck yes ME2 is starting.

Bogart on
    edited January 2010
    That is Martin Sheen and a woman with big tits and a tight bodysuit.

Bogart on
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sexual Orientation Affects Risk of Bullying in Teens
    A new study finds that gay teens and young adults face a much higher risk of experiencing bullying than their counterparts do, with the rate more than tripled for lesbians.

BREAKTHROUGH FINDINGS

skippydumptruck on
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

why don't you like surprises if every bad surpise couldn't happen?

maybe the surprise is kinky sex.

Dunadan019 on
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Bogart wrote: »
    That is Martin Sheen and a woman with big tits and a tight bodysuit who also stars in the HIT NBC SHOW CHUCK.

Fixed that for you

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Ed321Ed321 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Man I wish someone would hire me, then I too could afford failed marriages :(

Ed321 on
    edited January 2010
    Dunadan019 wrote: »

I have a long history of surprises that are along the lines of "dodge this or get a concussion" so it's made me soured on surprises.

Thomamelas on
  • BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    A new study finds that gay teens and young adults face a much higher risk of experiencing bullying than their counterparts do, with the rate more than tripled for lesbians.

BREAKTHROUGH FINDINGS
    Holy shit, I thought Will and Grace put all that behind us.

Bama on
  • GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Gonmun wrote: »

I wrote up the story once, so if you don't mind, I'll cut and paste rather then type it up again.
    So my last story before the thread ends.

A few weeks back a friend convinced me to go out dancing with her and her friends, which really wasn't that hard. Stay at home or go out with a bunch of college age girls isn't exactly a tough call. So we go to a local club and a good time is being had by all. I'm on the dance floor with Rebecka when I hear a voice calling my name. My spine stiffens as it's a voice I know well. I turn around and see my ex-wife standing there. I turn back around and take Rebecka's arm and lead her off the dance floor and away from my ex. I don't want a scene, I don't want any drama and I certainly have lost my taste for crazy.

Rebecka begins peppering me with questions when we get back to the group and I tell her who it was. A very brief explanation is given to her friends and we decide to go somewhere else. Moments later my ex is there, clearly very drunk and very much looking for a fight. She makes some snotty comments about cradle robbing on my part and begins to berate Rebecka for stealing "her" man. Never mind the fact that we had been divorced for a few years before I had met Rebecka. Rebecka starts to walk off when my ex takes a swing at her, only to stumble when she feels my hand around her wrist. I look into her eyes, and the expression on her face is that of one who is expecting me to cower in front of her. She's expecting to see fear in my eyes. The anger she saw was less expected. And I saw something I had never seen in her eyes. Fear. And I said the worst thing I could think of to an older woman who is standing in front of a number of much younger and more attractive peers.

"I hope you enjoyed your 40th birthday. "

Her friends showed up and began to pull her away with her screeching at the top of her lungs that she was going to have me arrested for bruising her wrist. Rebecka, myself and her friends left and had a good time at another club.

Wow...that's...wow. Good for you though Thom. *ehugs*

Gonmun on
    desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

BREAKTHROUGH FINDINGS

But the word "fag" has no connection to to them in the minds of those teens. Nope.

Yeah, right.

Couscous on
    edited January 2010
    Oh shit that's one hell of an opening.

Bogart on
    edited January 2010
    this headache is starting to get really bad again.

Make it go away, [chat].

BobCesca on
    edited January 2010

I have a long history of surprises that are along the lines of "dodge this or get a concussion" so it's made me soured on surprises.

but you've already been though some pretty bad surprises and then eliminated the source of said surprises. so regardless of wether if it is a bad surprise, you've seen worse.

Dunadan019 on
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Ed321 wrote: »
    Man I wish someone would hire me, then I too could afford failed marriages :(

What are your job skills?

amateurhour on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I want ME2 but I'm running a Radeon x1550 :?

TL DR on
    edited January 2010
    I drew the first new comic since I went on a break a couple months ago. It feels nice to be creative again

amateurhour on
  • HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    BobCesca wrote: »

Make it go away, [chat].

*hitsheadachewithacricketbat*

Better?

Haphazard on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    What the fuck, RMS

JustinSane07 on
    edited January 2010
    Haphazard wrote: »

Make it go away, [chat].

Better?

nope. try again?

BobCesca on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Socket AM2 Athlon 64 X2 4800+ processor: $60

Socket 939 (the one I have) Athlon 64 X2 4800+ processor: $400

harglebargle....

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
    edited January 2010

Make it go away, [chat].

Better?

nope. try again?

*whack*

Now?

Haphazard on
    edited January 2010

Ever read Mid Term Break?

His brother's grave is not too far from my Grandparents'. I go to it sometimes.

RMS Oceanic on
    edited January 2010

but you've already been though some pretty bad surprises and then eliminated the source of said surprises. so regardless of wether if it is a bad surprise, you've seen worse.

My group sessions have shown me that there is plenty of worse I could have encounter. I try not to tempt fate.

Thomamelas on
    edited January 2010

Make it go away, [chat].

Better?

nope. try again?

*whack*

Now?

Nope. Maybe I shall have to just take some more painkillers, or something. :sigh:

BobCesca on
    edited January 2010

harglebargle....

So buy a new mobo

amateurhour on
    edited January 2010
    I want to leave.

Dunadan019 on
    edited January 2010

I think I've read nearly everything he's done. He's very, very good, and was only slightly spoiled for me by being on the GCSE syllabus.

BobCesca on
    edited January 2010

harglebargle....

So buy a new mobo

TL DR on
    edited January 2010
    Man, I'm downtown, it's snowing like a bitch in Tennessee, where no one knows how to drive in it, and I live over 20 miles away. My day is fucked

amateurhour on
    edited January 2010

I think I've read nearly everything he's done. He's very, very good, and was only slightly spoiled for me by being on the GCSE syllabus.

We covered him in detail in Primary School.

I guess that's because we're the small village he grew up in, and the year we covered him was the year he won the Nobel Literature prize.

RMS Oceanic on
  • FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

harglebargle....

There is not a single word in this post.

Frosteey on
    edited January 2010

Make it go away, [chat].

Better?

nope. try again?

*whack*

Now?

Nope. Maybe I shall have to just take some more painkillers, or something. :sigh:

:(

I hope it goes away soon.

Haphazard on
    edited January 2010

Make it go away, [chat].

Better?

nope. try again?

*whack*

Now?

Headaches suck. My brother used to get them pretty bad. Try a cup of tea, dark room, and concentrate on feeling the pressure dissipate until it does.

TL DR on
This discussion has been closed.