As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[STO] Open Beta is On! (you still need a key)

• arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Launcher: unable to authenticate.

[strike]It's only beta so don't worry....[/strike]

Oh wait....

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    arcath wrote: »
    Launcher: unable to authenticate.

[strike]It's only beta so don't worry....[/strike]

Oh wait....

First off, thank you. I didnt know how to do the strike through. Hah.

Second, It's an MMO. The first moments of a good sized IP based MMO at that. It'll be fine.

Decoy on
  • skippymchaggisskippymchaggis Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    so...game server up, account server down?

skippymchaggis on
  • BansheeBanshee Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I logged on at 12:40, took 30 min to make my character, and started playing, but then the cable guy came to install an outlet for my tv next to the pc, and had to unplug the modem...

Now i can't load the launcher... FFFFFUUUUUUU

Banshee on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The more I read this thread the more I want to at least try this game. I loves me some capital ship action. Maybe at some point there will be a free trial.

Bigity on
  • ScabiesScabies The InternetRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    wtf? steam pushed out an update...
    then crashed

OH NO. ITS REINSTALLING THE WHOLE DAMN THING.
    ETA 1h30min.. 1.4MB/sec... yep just about 7.5GB

Scabies on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JulesJules Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Account service: down
    Purchase service: down

Wow, they weren't really ready for this whole "live" thing were they?

Jules on
    (USER WAS INFRACTED FOR THIS POST)
  • XaboraXabora Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Scabies wrote: »
    then crashed

Move the STO directory out of steam.
    Make a shortcut to the game's launcher.
    Run it instead of steam.

Xabora on
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hey, so quick question. You can have first and last names right? Because one name would be so terribly gay.

Transporter on
    edited January 2010
    fucking lame.

Banshee on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Xabora wrote: »
    Scabies wrote: »
    then crashed

Move the STO directory out of steam.
    Make a shortcut to the game's launcher.
    Run it instead of steam.
    Wouldn't help. Steam whacked the folder before re-downloading. I fuckin' hate Steam sometimes.

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2010
    Hey, so quick question. You can have first and last names right? Because one name would be so terribly gay.

yes but the full name only shows when someone looks up your info. that, or when an NPC addresses you as Captain <lastname>
    (though they just as often call you Captain <firstname>...)

I know! I'll go to del taco and cross my fingers for a non-B'rel cup! that way I still get to have star trek fun* like the rest of you guys that arent Steaming...

(*wal mart is across the street. pepto bismol, or just some really nice Charmin rolls?)

Scabies on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I find it funny that while waiting for the STO servers to come back, I just got an email from the SW:TOR people. Not sure why I laughed so hard. Kinda like "Hey. I see their servers are down and youre not playing.... you know, we'd never do that to you."

Decoy on
    edited January 2010
    From what I remember, NPCs can use either just your nickname, or <rank> last name, or first name + last name, or <rank> first name + last name.

Banshee on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DewarDewar Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Launcher says servers are up, but the website says they're down for maintenance. Oh well, at least I'm not the only one who's getting unable to authenticate.

For anyone still on the fence, if you can get a hold of a pre-order code and download it real fast, you can play in the head start without having to buy the whole retail package.

Dewar on
    PAsig.jpg
    ^This is like the ball pit at Chuck E Cheese's^
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    That's perfectly fine. In fact, that's even better then I hoped for.

Transporter on
    edited January 2010
    I think the server's still up, but the launcher is fucked. I was on from 12:40 to 1:15, and I wasn't booted so, I'm assuming the people that connected early are still playing. Bastards.

Banshee on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • XaboraXabora Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Banshee wrote: »
    I think the server's still up, but the launcher is fucked. I was on from 12:40 to 1:15, and I wasn't booted so, I'm assuming the people that connected early are still playing. Bastards.
    Talking to someone over Vent right now and the server is alive and kicking.

Xabora on
  • damvaldamval Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Launcher now says down for 3 hours...

damval on
    edited January 2010
    We are currently experiencing difficulties with our Account Server. During this time players will be unable to log into the game. Players already in the game are not affected. We are currently working to bring this server back up as swiftly as possible, and apologize for the inconvenience to you. Please keep an eye on this thread to be notified of any updates, and the eventual resolution of this problem. Thank you, The Star Trek Online Team

unfair... I bet it weeded out all the non-lifers so they could so some sort of event.

Scabies on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The forums are currently unavailable due to high load. They will be back up as soon as possible. For latest STO news and updates, please check the support section at startrekonline.com/support. Thanks!

If you do not see your Liberated Borg Character available during Character Creation, please make another character, log in, go to the C-Store, select the Unlocks tab, Liberated Borg, and then click "Claim". If you are having difficulties doing so, please keep trying, we have reports that some of these transactions are timing out right now due to high demand.

Some players may experience difficulties logging into Star Trek Online Right now, we are aware of this issue and working on a resolution.

Thank you,

The Star Trek Online Team

Ugh I hope the issues are sorted soon. I've been excited all week to play. I threw caution (and my hellgate london box thank God I didn't get the lifetime for that one) and went all in for this one. Borg Captain is a GO! :)

Earlier posts were right about the STO forums. They are really polarized loved the beta or hated it. I think your average MMO player thats also a Trekkie will land somewhere in the middle. I was disappointed with the game at first but there was enough Trek fun to be had that I still wanted to play. I can casually log in and play through an "episode". :)

powersurge on
  • dwwatermelondwwatermelon Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm in the game but I'm just dicking around because I want my captain to be liberated borg

dwwatermelon on
    edited January 2010
    up!

Banshee on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DewarDewar Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm patching now at least.

Dewar on
    PAsig.jpg
    ^This is like the ball pit at Chuck E Cheese's^
  • Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The forum message is now "The Liberated Borg Race is temporarily unavailable in Star Trek Online. We are aware of this issue, and working on a resolution."

ffffffffffff

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    hm glad i didn't try for a day off today

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    How come I can't set my ground gun to auto-fire?

Lucascraft on
    edited January 2010
    You would think thats the one thing that they would make sure worked fine. So the folks who are really dedicated to the game get screwed and pretty much just have to mess around till we can make our Borg Captains.

powersurge on
  • Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Now it says "The Borg have assimilated the C-Store! We've dispatched several attack groups to recover this vital equipment We are currently working to liberate as many Borg as possible, please stay tuned!"

Does this mean they're closer to a solution, or did somebody just decide to make the announcement more Trek-like?

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
    edited January 2010
    Oh, do what everyone else is doing:

Just make a quick throw-away klingon unlock character.
    Get to level 6.
    Play klingon all weekend until the borg character is ready.

Jules on
    edited January 2010
    PS:

You have sucessfully purchased Star Trek Online Lifetime Subscription!

I'm really stoked to play now. Too bad I'm at work for 5 more hours.

Jules on
    edited January 2010
    Dudes seriously. How come I can't get my phaser rifle to auto-fire. Having to manually shoot each phaser bolt is making me angry.

Lucascraft on
    edited January 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Dudes seriously. How come I can't get my phaser rifle to auto-fire. Having to manually shoot each phaser bolt is making me angry.

I think it might be a lag-related bug.

edit: maybe try going under control options, selecting "Space" controls, and adjusting the autofire setting. IIRC if it's set to "never" you can't toggle anything.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
    edited January 2010
    I didn't know one could set a ground weapon to autofire... I've always had to spam 1 (but never tried otherwise, to be fair)

sucks now that there is a "cant do that yet" sound effect... wish there was an option to disable that. the bolt not firing from my weapon and the cooldown timer continuing to count down is all the indication I need that "fire" isn't ready yet, tyvm.

Scabies on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2010

edit: maybe try going under control options, selecting "Space" controls, and adjusting the autofire setting. IIRC if it's set to "never" you can't toggle anything.

It isn't space that's the problem. My space phaser arrays were set to auto-fire no problem during the tutorial. Its ground that's the problem. I can't get either my phaser rifle or my phaser pistol to allow me to toggle auto-fire.

Lucascraft on
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

It isn't space that's the problem. My space phaser arrays were set to auto-fire no problem during the tutorial. Its ground that's the problem. I can't get either my phaser rifle or my phaser pistol to allow me to toggle auto-fire.

Last I recall, they removed ground auto-fire at the end of OB. It was causing problems with triggering skills, due to how they have the skill system set up.

Archonex on
    edited January 2010
    if it helps any, I had trouble autofiring ground weapons towards the end of OB.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited January 2010
    Ahh maybe its gone then. That really sucks. I'm incredibly lazy and I hate tapping 1 over and over. Hopefully they'll get that fixed and put back into the game.

Lucascraft on
    edited January 2010
    Think of the Ground combat like City of Heroes. All ability based no auto attack ala WoW.

powersurge on
    edited January 2010
    cox had an autoattack option.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
This discussion has been closed.