As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mass Effect 2: New Thread Go!

1565758596062»

• Wet BanditWet Bandit Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Wet Bandit wrote: »
    Regarding the timing of when I can recruit a certain character:
    When do I get Legion? Is it when I go after the IFF thing? Please keep any response as non-spoilery as possible.

Yes
    3clipse wrote: »
    Yes, it's during the IFF mission.

Thanks.

Wet Bandit on
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Wet Bandit wrote: »
    Regarding the timing of when I can recruit a certain character:
    When do I get Legion? Is it when I go after the IFF thing? Please keep any response as non-spoilery as possible.
    Dont get the IFF unless you want to go to endgame and it does involve legion

Buttcleft on
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I love this game but WHY DO I HAVE TO BUY STARSHIP FUEL?????

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Apparently your engines use thermal clips now too instead of eezo

initiatefailure on
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    quarthinos wrote: »
    At the risk of incurring your wrath, I am not really able to search thru 70+ pages of this thread. How exactly was I supposed to download Zaeed?

When I was able to connect Tuesday night, only the Normandy Crash Site and the Blood Dragon armor were listed on the Cerberus network. Did I miss something?

The X360 version didn't drop until late Wednesday (or maybe Thursday?). I'd assume M$ was making sure it wouldn't cause RRODs... Or maybe they were adding code that allowed them to cause RRODs on command?

Nah!

Skull2185 wrote: »

Ok, one last DP question.

Do I enter the codes on my 360 or do I have to do some EA website jargon?

Go to www.drpepper.com/promotions

Chaoshat: Three shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three!

NI!

Well, I have four. Went into 7-11 and looked for 20 oz with proper branding and labeling. There were none. Then I remembered you can get Big Gulps with codes. Went over, stacked four cups inside one another, filled the top with drinks.

Total price for four codes? 1.68.

Renegade +2.

Also Olivaw. You have hurt 90% to all of my feelings.

ChaosHat on
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So I finally got to start doing planet scans last night, and I have to wonder why those little bars are in place, getting more and more full as I get closer to 30k (or so) minerals. It made me think that this was all I could hold. I passed up minerals for awhile because I thought those ones were full! But of course, I can hold way more minerals once the bar is full... so far I'm up to around 80k for some of them. WTF is the point of those stupid bars?

Also did the Jack recruitment:
    It's pretty clear that the game is trying to hide the fact that Jack is a female, but of course some dicks here already spoiled that for me, so I wasn't surprised. Not a big deal since, even knowing she was going to be female, I was still pretty shocked upon actually seeing her.

I liked the quest in general, especially the bits where I was following along in the wake of Jack's path of destruction, but did anyone else think that the warden of that prison pretty much had the worst plan ever for capturing Shepard? How did he possibly see that succeeding?

Finally the weekend is close! I am going to play so much ME2. I initially was turned off by some of the changes made from ME1, but overall I'm really loving the game so far. I do agree with those who think combat isn't quite as good as it used to be though... I miss the more 'run and gun' feel from the first game.

Toxic Pickle on
    edited January 2010
    ChaosHat wrote: »

Well, I have four. Went into 7-11 and looked for 20 oz with proper branding and labeling. There were none. Then I remembered you can get Big Gulps with codes. Went over, stacked four cups inside one another, filled the top with drinks.

Total price for four codes? 1.68.

Renegade +2.

Maybe in the first game. Now that's like a +2 renegade, +5 paragon. The truly renegade option this time would have resulted in many more tears filling that 7-11.

Also the clerk would have told you he wanted to take things slow because one nighting the commander seemed like a quick trip to the airlock

initiatefailure on
    edited January 2010
    So I finally got to start doing planet scans last night, and I have to wonder why those little bars are in place, getting more and more full as I get closer to 30k (or so) minerals. It made me think that this was all I could hold. I passed up minerals for awhile because I thought those ones were full! But of course, I can hold way more minerals once the bar is full... so far I'm up to around 80k for some of them. WTF is the point of those stupid bars?

It's pretty clear that the game is trying to hide the fact that Jack is a female, but of course some dicks here already spoiled that for me, so I wasn't surprised. Not a big deal since, even knowing she was going to be female, I was still pretty shocked upon actually seeing her.

I liked the quest in general, especially the bits where I was following along in the wake of Jack's path of destruction, but did anyone else think that the warden of that prison pretty much had the worst plan ever for capturing Shepard? How did he possibly see that succeeding?

Finally the weekend is close! I am going to play so much ME2. I initially was turned off by some of the changes made from ME1, but overall I'm really loving the game so far. I do agree with those who think combat isn't quite as good as it used to be though... I miss the more 'run and gun' feel from the first game.

See, this shit confused me. They put her out as Subject Zero. They even had her in those character commercials about Shepard earning her trust. So how would this have confused ANYONE? Same with Grunt. They made it seem like you were going after Okeer. If you want to keep that aura of mystery from those blacking out the game, why not put Thane and...Jacob in their places?

ChaosHat on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

Renegade.png

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    edited January 2010

See, this shit confused me. They put her out as Subject Zero. They even had her in those character commercials about Shepard earning her trust. So how would this have confused ANYONE? Same with Grunt. They made it seem like you were going after Okeer. If you want to keep that aura of mystery from those blacking out the game, why not put Thane and...Jacob in their places?

It kind of got me because

Grunt
    I thought I was gonna go see my pal Wrex on Tunchanka and he'd hook me up with Grunt

Buttcleft on
  • DarksierDarksier Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sakeido wrote: »
    Olivaw wrote: »
    I imagine there is some grander purpose behind the Reapers than "oh we just collect you and use your essence to create more of us"

Like, who created the Reapers? Why did they do that? And why the hell is the game called Mass Effect? They made a big deal out of the fact that the Reapers built the Mass Relays and the Citadel and stuff to funnel all sentient life down the same technological freeway. Why are they doing that has not been answered yet

Reaper thought process spoilers
    They said in the first game so that it would be easiler to wipe them out. For example, if they had made star wars style hyperdrives to get around, they could branch out much further then what the relay's limited options give them. Plus they wouldn't be able to isolate ever system by turning off the relays. Or if they made practical laser weapons instead of railguns, which would pass right through the reapers shields.
    I don't remember this but it sounds legit so I'll take your word for it

But even then, why. Why destroy all sentient life in the galaxy every fifty thousand years or so? Why create technology and leave it laying around so it makes it easier to destroy all sentient life in the galaxy every fifty thousand years or so? Why destroy most but indoctrinate and engineer some slave races into helping capture and liquify millions to forge more of you in order to, I presume, destroy all sentient life in the galaxy? And why use all of a specific species just to forge one gigantic bioorganic machine of your race and style it in it's image?

From what Harbinger was saying, my personal theory is that the first Reaper was some kind of ultra evolved race from eons ago that encapsulated themselves into a giant starship robot and now they want to do the same to all life forms in the galaxy to preserve them somehow. "We are your genetic destiny" makes me think that, anyway

But who that first race was and why there is no trace of them now after all that they must have done and been to create a Reaper, even tens of thousands of millennia ago, is also a mystery
    I dunno but maybe the Reapers are the true face of post-singularity existence.. entire races forcefully converted into extraordinarily powerful sentient space ships. Then they harvest life, keep the strongest race to make into a new Reaper, improving the Reaper race.. survival of the fittest on an epic scale.

Sovereign also mentioned several times in ME1 that we can't possibly understand why the Reapers do the things they do, though. Hopefully we will get some explanation, but it really could be beyond our understanding.

EDI is the one who says that maybe the Prothians weren't good enough to make a reaper, which is why they are using humans*when you first see the Human-Reaper larva thing and ask her wtf is going on.* But at the end we see that the Harbringer is a reaper so.........yea. Why the fuck didn't they just using them to make reapers? The only thing I can think of is that the collectors are all clones now, so I guess they don't have the genetic diversity to make any more reapers from the collectors/protheans than what they already did. And like they were pushing all game, humans are the most genetics diverse race for some reason, so bam we get to be giant space ships now.

As what Olivaw asked before I've got no fucking clue as to why they do this, all we still have is speculation as to why they do it. And you learn about the reapers letting you use their tech to make it easier to kill you from Sovereign when you talk to him/it/them on Virmire.
    Finding strength in diversity appears to be a major theme of the story so far. Your theory on the Reapers choosing humans over other races such as the Protheans fits thematically. It's mentioned several times throughout the game how humans possess the greatest genetic diversity. As for why bother. My guess is that Reapers see Stagnation as a weakness just the science culture has a desire to research and develop to progress our race now.

Darksier on
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Awesome, if you may have done what I did, and entered your Dr Pepper code too early, before it listed ME2 as an option, there is a history that lists when you input your code, and has a "More info" option. When clicking on this, you can then redeem the code. So I got all my codes. :)

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    edited January 2010
    Darksier wrote: »
    Sakeido wrote: »
    I imagine there is some grander purpose behind the Reapers than "oh we just collect you and use your essence to create more of us"

Like, who created the Reapers? Why did they do that? And why the hell is the game called Mass Effect? They made a big deal out of the fact that the Reapers built the Mass Relays and the Citadel and stuff to funnel all sentient life down the same technological freeway. Why are they doing that has not been answered yet

Reaper thought process spoilers
    They said in the first game so that it would be easiler to wipe them out. For example, if they had made star wars style hyperdrives to get around, they could branch out much further then what the relay's limited options give them. Plus they wouldn't be able to isolate ever system by turning off the relays. Or if they made practical laser weapons instead of railguns, which would pass right through the reapers shields.
    I don't remember this but it sounds legit so I'll take your word for it

But even then, why. Why destroy all sentient life in the galaxy every fifty thousand years or so? Why create technology and leave it laying around so it makes it easier to destroy all sentient life in the galaxy every fifty thousand years or so? Why destroy most but indoctrinate and engineer some slave races into helping capture and liquify millions to forge more of you in order to, I presume, destroy all sentient life in the galaxy? And why use all of a specific species just to forge one gigantic bioorganic machine of your race and style it in it's image?

From what Harbinger was saying, my personal theory is that the first Reaper was some kind of ultra evolved race from eons ago that encapsulated themselves into a giant starship robot and now they want to do the same to all life forms in the galaxy to preserve them somehow. "We are your genetic destiny" makes me think that, anyway

But who that first race was and why there is no trace of them now after all that they must have done and been to create a Reaper, even tens of thousands of millennia ago, is also a mystery
    I dunno but maybe the Reapers are the true face of post-singularity existence.. entire races forcefully converted into extraordinarily powerful sentient space ships. Then they harvest life, keep the strongest race to make into a new Reaper, improving the Reaper race.. survival of the fittest on an epic scale.

Sovereign also mentioned several times in ME1 that we can't possibly understand why the Reapers do the things they do, though. Hopefully we will get some explanation, but it really could be beyond our understanding.

EDI is the one who says that maybe the Prothians weren't good enough to make a reaper, which is why they are using humans*when you first see the Human-Reaper larva thing and ask her wtf is going on.* But at the end we see that the Harbringer is a reaper so.........yea. Why the fuck didn't they just using them to make reapers? The only thing I can think of is that the collectors are all clones now, so I guess they don't have the genetic diversity to make any more reapers from the collectors/protheans than what they already did. And like they were pushing all game, humans are the most genetics diverse race for some reason, so bam we get to be giant space ships now.

As what Olivaw asked before I've got no fucking clue as to why they do this, all we still have is speculation as to why they do it. And you learn about the reapers letting you use their tech to make it easier to kill you from Sovereign when you talk to him/it/them on Virmire.
    Finding strength in diversity appears to be a major theme of the story so far. Your theory on the Reapers choosing humans over other races such as the Protheans fits thematically. It's mentioned several times throughout the game how humans possess the greatest genetic diversity. As for why bother. My guess is that Reapers see Stagnation as a weakness just the science culture has a desire to research and develop to progress our race now.
    Thats pretty much what I thought as well.

I'd love to see the anti-humans get word that the machine gods think humans are superior and
    endgame don't open
    decided to make a reaper in our image. Haha suck it Turians.

Buttcleft on
    edited January 2010

All the commercials aired on television featured none of that

Only the stuff released on the internet, for people actively searching out stuff about the game, would have known these things

Admittedly, EA has a pretty rock stupid marketing department so Subject Zero got revealed pretty early, but again, you have to search out this info

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    edited January 2010

All the commercials aired on television featured none of that

Only the stuff released on the internet, for people actively searching out stuff about the game, would have known these things

Admittedly, EA has a pretty rock stupid marketing department so Subject Zero got revealed pretty early, but again, you have to search out this info

Pretty sure there's a commercial on TV featuring just subject zero. Not sure if it spoiled any of that but it's not really like it was being hidden that well

initiatefailure on
  • BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Here's the new one.

Updating...

BlackDove on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Huh, I think I may be able to purchase everything in the shops on my first playthrough. I have 282,000 right now and probably only about four more upgrades to buy, give or take. I'm still not done with the N7 missions (have a number of sectors left to explore) or loyalty missions. Tali's loyalty mission ended giving me over 40,000 credits, for instance. Here's hoping for the best!

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Klyka wrote: »
    I love this game but WHY DO I HAVE TO BUY STARSHIP FUEL?????

The fuel seems silly. Its like there was something that was supposed to be implemented but got cut, and they forgot to take the fuel out.

doesn't matter though, even if you run out its no big deal.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    edited January 2010
    There's also an upgrade you can get that gives you more fuel, as well as double the probes.

Dashui on
    edited January 2010
    Dashui wrote: »
    There's also an upgrade you can get that gives you more fuel, as well as double the probes.

considering the number of probes it takes to fully map a planet, You should start with 60 and get upgraded to 120

Buttcleft on
  • jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Deadfall wrote: »
    Played through Omega with a Vanguard, decided I didn't like it and restarted as a Sentinel.

Hot damn I like the Sentinel. I love Tech Armor. And Pistols. I played my canon run exclusively with pistols in the first game, and Sentinel just feels right played with pistols.

I'm still not a huge fan of "reloading." But I can deal with it. I have to say the combat this time around, in my opinion, feels like it's much more....I guess frantic is the word for it? Like in the ME1, I mostly just took for cover and popped off the enemies as they exposed their head. In ME2, I feel like I'm constantly ducking from cover to cover, or drawing the enemies to me so Archangel can take them out from his sniper position.

I like it.

THIS. Jacob pull + sentinel warp = YEEHA explosion.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
    edited January 2010
    Do you only use fuel traveling between sectors? I'm still in the one with omega in it so i can't really tell.

initiatefailure on
  • Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Huh, I think I may be able to purchase everything in the shops on my first playthrough. I have 282,000 right now and probably only about four more upgrades to buy, give or take. I'm still not done with the N7 missions (have a number of sectors left to explore) or loyalty missions. Tali's loyalty mission ended giving me over 40,000 credits, for instance. Here's hoping for the best!

I did everything *I think* and was able to buy all the upgrades but heavy pistols *lvl 2* and tech damage. *lvl 4*

Fondor_Yards on
    Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
  • Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I can't help but read any sentence containing "probe" as innuendo. The best in-game use is when EDI instructs me to "probe away."

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
    edited January 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »

considering the number of probes it takes to fully map a planet, You should start with 60 and get upgraded to 120

People who fully map planets are weird

Once it gets to poor I'm out

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Mithrandir86Mithrandir86 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Which do you guys think is better, AoE Vanguard charge, or Super-shield, slow-down time Vanguard charge?

Mithrandir86 on
  • Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Huh? You shouldn't be spending more then a dozen or so probes on a single planet anyways. You don't need as much minerals as you might think.

Fondor_Yards on
    Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
    edited January 2010

I can't help but read any sentence containing "probe" as innuendo. The best in-game use is when EDI instructs me to "probe away."

Yeah, I really feel immature for snickering when EDI tells me to "probe away".

Maybe I'm reading too much into this.

Toxic Pickle on
    edited January 2010

I map every single deposit no matter how miniscule

Buttcleft on
    edited January 2010
    You don't even need to probe all the planets to get enough minerals for all the upgrades. Like I said earlier, I only entirely scanned two sectors and I still have a ridiculous surplus. It's pretty lax.

Dashui on
    edited January 2010

You are a crazy person

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    edited January 2010

This right here is pure insanity.

I seriously don't even bother with deposits of less than 3 bars and when I search for a minute without finding anything good, I'm out no matter what the planet's rating says.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Mithrandir86Mithrandir86 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

You are a crazy person

That's the name of the achievement I got for strip mining!

Mithrandir86 on
  • DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I really want to use the Blood Dragon armor but they left out one very important thing about the armor sets, the ability to turn the fucking helmet off.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
    edited January 2010
    Edit: Nevermind, I think I figured it out.

Dashui on
    edited January 2010
    Demiurge wrote: »
    I really want to use the Blood Dragon armor but they left out one very important thing about the armor sets, the ability to turn the fucking helmet off.

Yeah I got the pre-order Terminus armor or whatever. I put it on, noticed I couldn't take off the helmet, and haven't bothered with any 'special' armor since.

The N7 armor is cool and I can customize it.

Toxic Pickle on
    edited January 2010
    ChaosHat on
  • DudBoltDudBolt Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Claudia Black! I didn't know she had a role in this game. Cool.

This surprised me too. I really enjoyed her Morigan from Dragon Age.

DudBolt on
    Gather the faithful and prepose a toast. To an epoch of indifference. - In Flames: Ordinary Story
    http://beta.humugus.com/index.php/auth/register/inv/1966