As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[POTUS] State of the Union 2010: You guys stand and applaud! You guys stay seated.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    PantsB wrote: »
    enc0re wrote: »
    AP wrote:
    GOP lawmakers pressed the president to pledge to support a line-item veto for spending bills and across-the-board tax cuts.

I have to give whoever those Republicans were some "classy" points. Offering a line-item veto when the Democrats have the Presidency is principled.

Why do people keep coming back to the line item veto when it was ruled Unconstitutional?

See: flagburning. Hell, congresscritters are still trying to get a flag burning amendment passed.
    During each term of Congress from 1995 to 2005, the proposed amendment was passed by the House of Representatives, but not the Senate, falling four votes short on two occasions in the upper body. As approved by the House of Representatives each time, the joint resolutions called for ratification by state legislatures—of which a minimum of 38 state legislative approvals would be required (three-fourths of the 50 states) within a period of seven years following its proposal by both houses of Congress. As can be seen by the votes in the House of Representatives, support for the amendment appears to be slipping with only 286 "yes" votes during the 109th Congress in 2005 in contrast to the 312 "yes" votes a decade earlier during the 104th.

Couscous on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm still pissed at (Hillary) Clinton for voting for that.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Obama also returned to his point of how the polls have shown that individual stimulus components are popular, but not the total plan itself -- pointing out directly how this relates to GOP members of Congress. "As I said a lot of you have gone to ribbon cuttings for the same projects that you voted against," said Obama. "I say all this not to re-litigate the past, but it's simply to state, the component parts of the recovery act are consistent with what many of you say are important things to do."

"I am not an ideologue. I'm not," Obama also said."It doesn't make sense if somebody could tell me you could do this cheaper and get increased results, that I wouldn't say 'great.' The problem is, I couldn't find credible economists that would back up the claims that you just made."
    unf unf unf

Where did you get the quoted part?

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    galenblade wrote: »
    AP wrote:
    GOP lawmakers pressed the president to pledge to support a line-item veto for spending bills and across-the-board tax cuts.

I have to give whoever those Republicans were some "classy" points. Offering a line-item veto when the Democrats have the Presidency is principled.

Why do people keep coming back to the line item veto when it was ruled Unconstitutional?

Because (and I just saw this on the video), the way it was phrased was that the proposal was a Constitutional amendment. Bipartisan between some Republican and Russ Feingold.

Well then I look forward to the 28th Amendment getting ratified by the states in 2080 or so. I mean, it took us around 200 years to ratify the 27th.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Obama also returned to his point of how the polls have shown that individual stimulus components are popular, but not the total plan itself -- pointing out directly how this relates to GOP members of Congress. "As I said a lot of you have gone to ribbon cuttings for the same projects that you voted against," said Obama. "I say all this not to re-litigate the past, but it's simply to state, the component parts of the recovery act are consistent with what many of you say are important things to do."

"I am not an ideologue. I'm not," Obama also said."It doesn't make sense if somebody could tell me you could do this cheaper and get increased results, that I wouldn't say 'great.' The problem is, I couldn't find credible economists that would back up the claims that you just made."
    unf unf unf

Where did you get the quoted part?

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/01/obama-does-question-time-with-the-house-gop.php?ref=fpb

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Rust wrote: »
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Gosling wrote: »
    Yep, this is the guy I think we voted for.

I think Obama finally realized it's time to stop being nice and take the gloves off.

yes, now that he is saying some snarky things to republicans he will surely change his impotent approach to policymaking

jesus christ, how many times does this song and dance have to go on

Before... what? We light Obama on fire?

KalTorak on
  • Options
    galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »
    galenblade wrote: »
    AP wrote:

Because (and I just saw this on the video), the way it was phrased was that the proposal was a Constitutional amendment. Bipartisan between some Republican and Russ Feingold.

Well then I look forward to the 28th Amendment getting ratified by the states in 2080 or so. I mean, it took us around 200 years to ratify the 27th.

Yeah, not holding my breath on it actually happening without some serious checks and balances on it.

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »

I think Obama finally realized it's time to stop being nice and take the gloves off.

yes, now that he is saying some snarky things to republicans he will surely change his impotent approach to policymaking

before you admit america is screwed and lose hope forever and ever and ever

i mean, preferably

that's just the most likely outcome that doesn't involve fire

Rust on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

i mean, preferably

Yeah that sounds pretty good. Let's do that.

Gotta do something to kill time before Ragnarok.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hahaha, Republicans with shame. That's funny.

Democrats kind of suck at educating the public. 26% of Americans know you need 60 votes in the Senate.

Forcing a filibuster would let the news narrative actually inform americans about this

override367 on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Democrats kind of suck at educating the public. 26% of Americans know you need 60 votes in the Senate.

Forcing a filibuster would let the news narrative actually inform americans about this

I'm sure there'd be a much more pressing and important celebrity sex scandal or missing white girl that needs round the clock coverage.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Could we engineer a missing white girl situation where the abductor's pseudonym is "Republicanfillibustering" or something

override367 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Could we engineer a missing white girl situation where the abductor's pseudonym is "Republicanfillibustering" or something

sounds too foreign

Rust on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

i mean, preferably

So... what, Rust? You'd prefer we all just quiver under our beds and wait to die or something? I mean, fuck, you're even more spineless than Congress right now. You've gone completely into the goddamn fetal position and stopped even trying to get the America you want. Get a fucking backbone.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    wobblyheadedbobwobblyheadedbob Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Is there an alternate video link? The C-Span one is not working for me.

EDIT: Found one

wobblyheadedbob on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Unfortunately the rules, IIRC, don't even allow "forcing" a filibuster anymore.

And if we're changing the rules, then obviously we should just get rid of the filibuster.

I did the math the other day, and 40 Senators can represent as few as 10% of US Citizens. Fun fact.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

i mean, preferably

So... what, Rust? You'd prefer we all just quiver under our beds and wait to die or something? I mean, fuck, you're even more spineless than Congress right now. You've gone completely into the goddamn fetal position and stopped even trying to get the America you want. Get a fucking backbone.

yeah, no

you in particular kind of creep me out because your posts seem to have been entirely swallowed up by election-era talking points

if that's the world you want to live in, fine, but i'd prefer to stay in the real one rather than one that lasted for a few fun months circa mid-2008

Rust on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    mcdermott wrote: »

And if we're changing the rules, then obviously we should just get rid of the filibuster.

I did the math the other day, and 40 Senators can represent as few as 10% of US Citizens. Fun fact.

Plus the one Senator from Iowa to kill bills. I did this math too back in the Senate sucks thread.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I propose a new forum rule...instead of curse words being replaced with "silly goose," all Rust posts are replaced with "ALL IS LOST"

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Rust, I live in a world where if you want a better life for yourself, you have to fight for it. Nobody's going to hand it to you. Giving up and being hopeless forever and ever is a self-fulfilling prophecy: people are going to figure out they CAN walk all over you, and therefore people WILL walk all over you, causing you to get more and more depressed and hopeless. It's not a spiral you want to go down.

Right now there's rhetoric going in your direction. It's not going to turn into action if you just let it sit there. Obama puts up a proposal and all he gets is yawns and 'oh it's hopeless', that proposal is doomed. Obama puts up a proposal and he gets cheers, it's got at least a shot. It has to get through a Republican gauntlet, yes, but you at least give it the chance to have that fight.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I propose a new forum rule...instead of curse words being replaced with "silly goose," all Rust posts are replaced with "ALL IS LOST"

excuse me, but that would eliminate a lot of nuance about precisely how lost all is at any given time

Rust on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Found the specific one

hah

Barcardi on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Rust, I live in a world where if you want a better life for yourself, you have to fight for it. Nobody's going to hand it to you. Giving up and being hopeless forever and ever is a self-fulfilling prophecy: people are going to figure out they CAN walk all over you, and therefore people WILL walk all over you, causing you to get more and more depressed and hopeless. It's not a spiral you want to go down.

Right now there's rhetoric going in your direction. It's not going to turn into action if you just let it sit there. Obama puts up a proposal and all he gets is yawns and 'oh it's hopeless', that proposal is doomed. Obama puts up a proposal and he gets cheers, it's got at least a shot. It has to get through a Republican gauntlet, yes, but you at least give it the chance to have that fight.

yeah, see, it's crap like this

to me thisreads like someone with little knowledge of human speech tried to string together some vaguely feel-good inspirational nonsense without context or consideration, and it is intensely unsettling

you've sunk so deep into that mindset that i doubt you'll have much luck communicating with people who aren't already in it, and especially not with me

because as far as i'm concerned, everything involving the political landscape in this country is only worth watching so as to get a grasp on why people's lives are slightly worse today than they were yesterday

Rust on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Man he should have gone for the coup de grace on that one. "And lets be honest even if I put a budget all of you would like, you'd still vote no on it, so why should I even bother?"

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2010

to me thisreads like someone with little knowledge of human speech tried to string together some vaguely feel-good inspirational nonsense without context or consideration, and it is intensely unsettling

you've sunk so deep into that mindset that i doubt you'll have much luck communicating with people who aren't already in it, and especially not with me

because as far as i'm concerned, everything involving the political landscape in this country is only worth watching so as to get a grasp on why people's lives are slightly worse today than they were yesterday

Similarly, that girl dumped me junior year of high school so I'm going to listen to Dashboard Confessional and stay in my room the rest of my life.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Reading that transcript just gave me a huge <3 -on for Obama.

I don't even care if it doesn't work and the Republicans continue to do the same shit. It is just refreshing to have someone intelligent and intellectually honest in the white house.

Edit: it's interesting how much reading that exchange reminds me of message board discussions ... with idiots. But the good thing is that the idiots rarely come off looking half as good as they expect to. I do believe the Republicans just underestimated Obama and I wonder if they'll agree to televise this thing in the future. I'm guessing not.

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Oh, not just politics. Life in general. I have to fight to try to get out of Walmart hell. I have to fight to try and get a book published. I have to fight to try to get a news article published. None of these things have happened yet, but they still could. But none of them will if I fetal up and go all is lost all day long.

Gosling on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Qingu wrote: »
    Reading that transcript just gave me a huge <3 -on for Obama.

I don't even care if it doesn't work and the Republicans continue to do the same shit. It is just refreshing to have someone intelligent and intellectually honest in the white house.

Edit: it's interesting how much reading that exchange reminds me of message board discussions ... with idiots. But the good thing is that the idiots rarely come off looking half as good as they expect to. I do believe the Republicans just underestimated Obama and I wonder if they'll agree to televise this thing in the future. I'm guessing not.

Pandering to their base?

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Corporate overlords abloo bloo bloo.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

You should totally start cutting yourself.

That'll show your paren.... I mean Obama!!

shryke on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I don't really get it then

what are you doing here? Why read or talk about politics with anyone?

Also, frankly, as annoyed as I get sometimes, I'm living in a country that is markedly nicer to be in than the one that existed in the past. I'd rather be here and now than in the 90's, 80's, whatever. A lot of that is societal change only moderately related to politics buy hey my gay friends aren't getting murdered for fun as often anymore and my girlfriend can get a credit card so that's kind of nice.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I don't really get it then

what are you doing here? Why read or talk about politics with anyone?

To look down on you and tell you what a silly goose you are for having any shred of optimism.

Clevinger on
  • Options
    Armored GorillaArmored Gorilla Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    mcdermott wrote: »

I was just playing with a spreadsheet on it. Took the 2009 estimated populations of all the states from Wikipedia. If there was a split of Democrat and Republican senator, I took half the population of the state. These are also pre-Scott Brown.

40% of sitting Republican US senators represent 33% of US citizens.

In that sense of using numbers anyway.

We all know the 40% of sitting republican senators actually represent whatever percentage of the population that wants them to be obstructionist and vote against every single thing that Congress tries to accomplish.

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Oh Paul Ryan, my congressman, you're such a silly goose

"Mr President the constitution sucks, can we just get rid of it?"

override367 on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I know right? God forbid anyone have any optimism and hope and try to better our country. Better to all be cynical [strike]douchebags[/strike] silly gooses who do nothing but complain and bitch at the people who do try. That's how we'll change things for the better! I, for one, welcome our cynical [strike]douchebag[/strike] silly goose overlords.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I find this amusing
    As noted in two rec list diaries by bernardpliers and D Wreck (update: and Julie Gulden), President Obama today spent 90 minutes taking questions from the House GOP Conference in Baltimore, Maryland.

The bad news for the GOP is that President Obama not only took their tough questions, but he answered them -- and he was tough, forcing the GOP to confront the facts instead of their make-believe Fox News reality. In fact, to get a sense of just how effective President Obama was, Fox "News" cut off the Q&A session before it ended (CNN and MSNBC both carried the full event live).

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Fair and balanced, unless their boys are taking a beating from the other party, then there's a missing white woman to talk about.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'm surprised Fox even showed the SOTU.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I think Rust has a valid point, although I disagree about how extreme he posits it. I don't think he's honestly saying fuck optimism, he's saying have a practical idea about the limitations of rhetoric and the reality of the situation at hand.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'm surprised Fox even showed the SOTU.

To be honest much like us Watching Hannity to build up our bile, thats why they ran it, to remind people why they hate the man. Also then they can say "Well we ran his whole SOTU we could have just had Glenn Beck in black face doing his version! See Fair and Balanced."

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net